Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Doodee wrote: »
    anyone know where i might be able to get ticket for the Hamburg game?

you probably wont

only for those with away booking history. they might put some on sale in hamburg on the day, but thatd be a hell of a risk to take

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Doodee if you are in Dublin I could always book them for you and give them to you. I've ordered a few away match tickets through the club.

not 100% thatll work either, you need to sign a few forms and give stuff like flight and passport info for away euro ties, if you book them but your names not down theyre likely not to give you the tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Yeah I'm in Dublin.

hmmm, has there been complications in the past?

Sure ring up the club doodee and see what they say, if they say that I can book tickets for you I've no problem doing it. AFAIK there is someone who posts in here with a season ticket who might be of more help...

season ticket holders cant get tickets without an away booking history

Premier League trio Newcastle United, Aston Villa and Everton are reportedly eyeing a January move for Inter Milan striker David Suazo.

The 29-year-old Honduras international is currently out of the first-team picture under Jose Mourinho and is on loan at Portuguese giants Benfica.

The former Cagliari striker is impressing with Benfica as his double on Sunday helped move them to the top of the Portuguese Liga table.

He is also wanted in Italy with the likes of Roma, Torino and Atalanta all credited with an interest in the experienced hit-man.

From here:
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4618956,00.html

I hope there is more truth to it than rumour. he would be a brilliant signing.
    Fast and Powerful!

goals here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPwM7PWwK-w&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Time for O'Hallaran to get on his bike im afraid:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

A mish-mash of random gossip from the BBC website:
    Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill has lined up a £3m bid for teenage Crystal Palace midfielder Sean Scannell. (Daily Express)

Newcastle, Aston Villa and Everton are all chasing Inter Milan striker David Suazo, who has been on loan at Benfica. (The Sun)

West Brom boss Tony Mowbray has lined up bids for Lens striker Aruna Dindane and Aston Villa forward Marlon Harewood and is keen to take Arsenal duo Jay Simpson and Carlos Vela on loan. (Daily Mirror)

• Advertisement

Gaz Baz has said in an interview with SSN, that if Villa finish top 4 or get Champions League football he'll definately stay for next season....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

shoutman wrote: »
    Gaz Baz has said in an interview with SSN, that if Villa finish top 4 or get Champions League football he'll definately stay for next season....

What an eejit, no one can deny a man his ambitions but issuing to what is in effect a public ultimatum wont win him many new fans.

Petrov is better anyway just because he keeps his ego in check and is more consistent.

its hardly ego, hes not getting any younger and he wants to play in the champions league. he wants to do it with villa first and foremost, but if he cant he has to go elsewhere for it

anyone who begrudges him that is a clown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Ah, that's all??? No worries then!

Helix wrote: »
    its hardly ego, hes not getting any younger and he wants to play in the champions league. he wants to do it with villa first and foremost, but if he cant he has to go elsewhere for it

anyone who begrudges him that is a clown

Who is begrudging him anything? We know already how much GB thinks of himself and where he thinks he should be in football. But instead he's at Villa, and whilst we're still in contention he needs to keep schtum about his personal ambitions, thats not important right now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Who is begrudging him anything? We know already how much GB thinks of himself and where he thinks he should be in football. But instead he's at Villa, and whilst we're still in contention he needs to keep schtum about his personal ambitions, thats not important right now.

:confused:
    We know already how much GB thinks of himself

I really think that's unfair on the guy, as much as I respect Villa (best mate being a villa fan and me being to villa park a good few times) Any professional footballer Aspired to play in the champions league - he didn't come out all guns blazing saying he wanted out - there were offers in from a champions league team and he wanted to go.

such begrudgery, how you can say anything else is beyond me.

mayordenis wrote: »
    :confused:

I really think that's unfair on the guy, as much as I respect Villa (best mate being a villa fan and me being to villa park a good few times) Any professional footballer Aspired to play in the champions league - he didn't come out all guns blazing saying he wanted out - there were offers in from a champions league team and he wanted to go.

such begrudgery, how you can say anything else is beyond me.

Again i ask who is begrudging him? am i?i know GB wants CL Football, i know that now, i knew that in the summer before and after he went to the NOTW and let rip. And i think anyone else with an interest knows it.

Villa currently have a 3 game run ongoing culminating in a home game against Arsenal on the 26th where we will go clear in 4th if we win.

I want to be hearing about all this and nothing else and not GBs future intentions, he's already talked publicly about it this season and no doubt that we'll hear from him again.

I just think its bad karma for Villa, he still thinks he's top 4 material, newsflash Barry you've been erratic in your form and poor in front of goal(Fulham in particular), Petrov is better!

if his forms so erratic and we have so much better, why do you care what he says or whether he goes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

You see this isn't an exact quote from GB himself. I'd doubt he said those exact words. You can't just take this sentence, out of context and judge him on it.
    (I'm sure he did say something along those lines, but I'm sure he didn't say 'Top 4 or I'm off').

Edit: This was aimed at invincible, not you shoutman.

• Advertisement

if his forms so erratic and we have so much better, why do you care what he says or whether he goes?

Barry hasnt been our best CM this season, Stan has, certainly Villas most consistent CM anyway. And i care because i'm a Villa fan you tard, i'd like it if he stayed and committed, i'd also like it if he was putting in the performances of old.
    You see this isn't an exact quote from GB himself. I'd doubt he said those exact words. You can't just take this sentence, out of context and judge him on it.
    (I'm sure he did say something along those lines, but I'm sure he didn't say 'Top 4 or I'm off').

Edit: This was aimed at invincible, not you shoutman.

I guess so, i'm not trying to take it out of context and realise it was only part of an interview, but it seems to me that GBs stock has surely went down rather then up in the eyes of any potential suitors since the summer, last season he was Villas best CM hands down, but this season he aint so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I've said it before and I'll say it again about all things Gareth Barry, "head down, mouth shut"

We all know what he wants but I, for one, couldn't care less. The beauty of it is that we're no longer a one man team, look at Petrov's performances this season and look at some of Sidwell's finishes. Are you watching, are you watching, are you watching Gaz Baz? :cool:

I guess so, i'm not trying to take it out of context and realise it was only part of an interview, but it seems to me that GBs stock has surely went down rather then up in the eyes of any potential suitors since the summer, last season he was Villas best CM hands down, but this season he aint so.

In fairness to him he has caught the eye of a few teams across Europe.
    He has a tactical eye and is playing well this season.
    Sure the team would not be where it is if not for the performances of everyone on the squad.

If he says he want CL football to stay at Villa then great, it shows what he is aiming for. Once his money is where his mouth is I don't mind.

We shall see on the 26th sure. We have to capitalize on that match if we are to have any chance of being worthy of a top 4, rather than just lucking out to a mishap of one of the 4 teams.

I think my heart will be broken if we have a repeat performance of that season with Gregory at the helm and being 1st at Christmas :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Barry hasn't exactly been playing poorly this season and Petrov as good as he has been for us still can go on the missing list for 15 - 20 mins in a game.
    IMO if anyone genuinely believes that Petrov is a better player or more valuable to Villa then Barry they really aint been watching too many games.
    What GB said is all positive and was meant that way as far as Im concerned.

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Barry hasn't exactly been playing poorly this season and Petrov as good as he has been for us still can go on the missing list for 15 - 20 mins in a game.
    IMO if anyone genuinely believes that Petrov is a better player or more valuable to Villa then Barry they really aint been watching too many games.
    What GB said is all positive and was meant that way as far as Im concerned.

Well i have watched pretty much all of Villas games this season and i think Petrov has been our best CM by a country mile, in fact his missing of the NUFC & Boro games were the main reason Villa lost as Sidwell/Barry/Milner/NRC were totally anonymous.

And lets not forget the Fulham game with the numerous missed chances by GB.

If Barry puts in a MOTM performance tomorrow then fair enough but i guess Petrov will outshine him, again!.

in fairness, petrov has been nothing short of brilliant for the majority of the season

im still baffled by that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

in fairness, petrov has been nothing short of brilliant for the majority of the season

im still baffled by that

He always showed the potential, and I reckon signing Sidwell lit a fire under his arse.

Let's hope we'll see the same thing with Carew and Gabby after the transfer window.

Bolton predictions? game has draw written all over it, but surely Villas offensive quality to shine through.

well, im not going so itll either be a handsome win, or a defeat if history has taught me anything

of the league games ive been to this season ive seen four 0-0 draws, and only a single game yielding goals, the 2-1 win against sunderland. i missed my flight for the 4-2 city match, i didnt go to the midweek 3-2 blackburn one, and i couldnt get over for the 1-2 turnover by middlesbrough

so yeh, 4-1 villa or 2-1 bolton

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭avillan

Whether Barry goes or stays pool must be kicking themselves for spending all that money on Robbie . Petrov has come good but it was a wait. Knight out and 1 good striker in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

avillan wrote: »
    Whether Barry goes or stays pool must be kicking themselves for spending all that money on Robbie . Petrov has come good but it was a wait. Knight out and 1 good striker in.

not really, our centre midfield is playing great at the moment, we needed a striker.

• Advertisement

avillan wrote: »
    Whether Barry goes or stays pool must be kicking themselves for spending all that money on Robbie.

if we could, id take him in a flash for what they paid for him. good player, just not in any way suited to their style of play. i think hed do a phenomenal job at us however

I don't think he's worth the money they paid for him. Their style of play isn't an excuse for him missing some absolute sitters.

I'd still like him at VP just not for that sort of money. Owen is far better imo.

Edit: Ashley Young is absolutely phenomenal. Gaby's second and with arsenal drawing it looks like Villa will be fourth at the end of the day :):):):):)

well, im not going so itll either be a handsome win, or a defeat if history has taught me anything

of the league games ive been to this season ive seen four 0-0 draws, and only a single game yielding goals, the 2-1 win against sunderland. i missed my flight for the 4-2 city match, i didnt go to the midweek 3-2 blackburn one, and i couldnt get over for the 1-2 turnover by middlesbrough

so yeh, 4-1 villa or 2-1 bolton

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

lol
    You should miss more games ;)

You spoke to soon Helix lol.

its a bit 50/50 actually, ive never seen us lose you see

so once im there we wont be bet. we just wont score many lol

Dont go to the Arsenal game Helix we need to win that!

Great result today, and with Arsenal drawing and playing Pool next week whilst Villa play WHU, it really means the 26th is going to be a humdinger of a game, just thinking about all the possible permutations makes me giddy.

Kudos to Gabby, the first goal was excellent.

Dont go to the Arsenal game Helix we need to win that!

Great result today, and with Arsenal drawing and playing Pool next week whilst Villa play WHU, it really means the 26th is going to be a humdinger of a game, just thinking about all the possible permutations makes me giddy.

Kudos to Gabby, the first goal was excellent.

nah i wont be at the arsenal game, dont trust the brum winter not to have me stranded in the airport afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Great results all round with the small exception of Everton's late winner

didnt realise united dont play again til stephens day

if they drop any points against spurs (which is unlikey), we could hit christmas in 3rd place (theyd have a couple of games in hand, but itll look nice)

• Advertisement

I don't think he's worth the money they paid for him. Their style of play isn't an excuse for him missing some absolute sitters.

I'd still like him at VP just not for that sort of money. Owen is far better imo.

value for money yeh owen is 50 times the deal, and id love to see him at villa (and think i will come jan), but i think keane would really suit us tbh and money isnt really an object for us these days

id rather see us pay double what we should for a player we want than not get him at all

A West Ham Utd
    H Arsenal
    A Hull City
    H WBA
    A Sunderland
    A Portsmouth
    H Wigan Athletic
    A Blackburn

if we take 20 points from those games we'll quality for the champions league imo, no doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Villain wrote: »
    Great results all round with the small exception of Everton's late winner

A great day for football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

A West Ham Utd
    H Arsenal
    A Hull City
    H WBA
    A Sunderland
    A Portsmouth
    H Wigan Athletic
    A Blackburn

if we take 20 points from those games we'll quality for the champions league imo, no doubt

We'll definitely drop more than 4 points from those 8. Sad but true really. I wouldn't imagine Arsenal will take 20 from their next 8 either though so its not a necessity.

DSB wrote: »
    We'll definitely drop more than 4 points from those 8. Sad but true really. I wouldn't imagine Arsenal will take 20 from their next 8 either though so its not a necessity.

oh we most likely will, but if we can get 20 from them, in my opinion anyway, we're gonna be cert for the cl

thats not to say we need 20 to be in with a shout, far from it, i just think that the next 8 fixtures for both ourselves and arsenal are probably the best chance we'll have of building a substantial gap on them

plus we have the window opening in 3 weeks, and freddie is back next month whichll see jimmy milner come into his own since he'll have young behind him

Its all about Arsenal & Hull really, get 4-6 points from that(no easy feat obviously) then we can go into those run of games as contenders and scrap it with Arsenal game by game, then of course with potential European commitments for both teams squad size comes into play.

But first WHU! they've been poor but Villa are surely going to suffer a UEFA Cup hangover and lose in London.

id imagine itll be a reserve team for the most part in the uefa on wed tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Hamburg will most likely field their strongest team, as it is their last game before their 5 week winter break. They wanna win the group and don't need to rest anyone.

By the current looks they will only miss the injured Nigel de Jong. If Jol is adventerous he might decide to play Thiago Neves in Central midfield, to give him some confidence. He hasn't really had a good first season in Hamburg.

Since their defeat against Ajax they won 3 and drew one.

aye but for us youd have to assume itll be a similar team to the zilina one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I hope we play a full strength team Wednesday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement