Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Helix you still think Gabby shouldn't be starting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

JPA wrote: »
    I hope we play a full strength team Wednesday.

Both teams have qualified, WHU is more important surely so why risk injuries/tiredness/suspensions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Villain wrote: »
    Helix you still think Gabby shouldn't be starting?

not while hes playing like that no, when he goes back to his mediocre performances then yes

its no different to what ive been saying all along. when gabby isnt cutting it (which is satisfyingly rarely in the last month or so), someone needs to come in. when we sign a striker in jan, i can guarantee you gabbys improvement rockets

Both teams have qualified, WHU is more important surely so why risk injuries/tiredness/suspensions?

exactly, no need for it

give the fonz another start and give the league ever presents a rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I'm abit of a pessimist when it comes to football. Our loss against Boro at home led me to believe that fifth was the best we could do this season.

However today is the first day I've actually believed breaking the top 4 is a realistic prospect. I'm starting to dream again.

Just wondering are other Villa fans pessimistic like me or have you had the faith all along?

• Advertisement

if we play as well as we can we'll finish 4th

the only question is whether we play as well as we can for the next 21 games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Good win vs Bolton. Especially good that Man Yoo, Liverpool, and Arsenal all drew. I reckon we'll catch Liverpool yet!

I really hope we play a reserve team on Wed. Champions League is a definate possibility now, so we've gotta aim for that.

Of course we're only half way through the season, but players like Milner are still settling in, other players are due back from injury and potential signings in January means the future is bright?.The team has shown they can beat or at least get a result against anyone on their day, now its time to iron out the inconsistencies and head to 4th!.

West Ham will be interesting as, along with Everton these were the 2 games last season that Villa drew away where the 5th place dream died, Villa rode their luck at Goodison this time but with WHs dire situation Villa should be looking for all 3 points if they're serious about 4th these are the games to be winning, but Villa have a knack of not living up to the hype!.

if we beat west ham we'll be 3rd at christmas

big test of our bottle coz any time so far this season we've had a chance to go 3rd we capitulated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I reckon we'll catch Liverpool yet!
    QUOTE]

Joke right... :)

Hope Villa come forth tbh. It's huge for ye too as if ye don't expect Ashley Young to break the british transfer record next summer, also really need him to stay fit. He's the player of the year so far imo.

• Advertisement

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I reckon we'll catch Liverpool yet!
    QUOTE]

Joke right... :)

Hope Villa come forth tbh. It's huge for ye too as if ye don't expect Ashley Young to break the british transfer record next summer, also really need him to stay fit. He's the player of the year so far imo.

New contract + rich owner: means ^ unlikely, unless MON wants rid of course:).

If ye don't top 4 though and Chelsea offer 30+million it would be hard to justify turning it down (at least to Young himself, that kid deserves to be playing Champions League footie, i like Villa so i hope he gets it there)

it would cost a really obscene amount of money to let young go, especially considering hes just signed a new contract

id imagine o'neill would be looking for £45m if he wanted £18m for barry

I wouldn't rule out a bid of that amount if he keeps this form up. Villa fans should just hope it's from City as he might turn them down.

Regardless not trying to put a dampner on a good day for you guys, just make sure you drop a few more points over the season so one cold hands prediction doesn't come to pass.

tbh i think young is sensible enough to bide his time with us for at least another 3 years and see what happens

hes still only a kid at the end of the day, so theres no need for him to rush things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Young is only beginning to find his form of last season, mainly as he's had to adjust to getting double marked by teams (yes even your Top 4 sides). He's always been a quality player and epitomizes everything the new Villa is about but I have to wonder about people saying he's "player of the year" so far when he's not been anywhere near his best this season.

As for Villa reaching CL....consistency, consistency, consistency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Unfortunately if we dont get champions league or win the UEFA Cup I reckon we will lose GB Gabby and Young(A of course)
    I think at this stage we are pretty sure to finish 5th but we have been pretty lucky with few injuries so far and the likes of Osbourne, Salifou and Knight aint good enough if we got to use them as we have seen in the UEFA Cup.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I wouldn't rule out a bid of that amount if he keeps this form up. Villa fans should just hope it's from City as he might turn them down.

Regardless not trying to put a dampner on a good day for you guys, just make sure you drop a few more points over the season so one cold hands prediction doesn't come to pass.

He won't be going to City as they won't be playing CL next season.

Of course it was a joke btw, I take it you're a pool fan? Although if you keep their only fit decent striker on the bench for 90 mins then you'd never know!;)

We're no match for Arsenal yet, says Villa boss Martin O'Neill

MARTIN O’Neill has rejected suggestions it is a prime time for Villa to finish above Arsenal – despite leap-frogging the Gunners into fourth.

Villa moved back into the Champions League places with the victory over Bolton after Arsene Wenger’s team drew 1-1 at Middlesbrough.

But O’Neill has played down talk that Villa’s emergence as contenders has coincided perfectly with a wobble by the Emirates Stadium giants.

The Villa boss believes his team are still some way off matching the consistency that Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal are capable of.

“I genuinely don’t see it like that,” said O’Neill. “It’s not me playing it down but I think the other four sides have had the experience, they’ve got bigger squads than we possess and they have the capabilities as well. And that’s all those four sides including Arsenal, who are supposed to be in a bit of a predicament at the moment, but I don’t see it like that, absolutely not.

“All those four sides are capable of winning four on the trot or taking 13 points from 15.

“For us to do that is exceptionally hard work.”

In terms of Villa’s Premier League programme, O’Neill is focusing on Saturday’s tea-time trip to West Ham rather than worrying about the Boxing Day visit of Arsenal.

“We played Arsenal a couple of weeks ago and we played exceptionally well and people started to talk after that,” he added.

“I don’t know what people will think, but the players in the dressing room will just have to keep playing in the manner in which they’re doing.”

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2008/12/15/we-re-no-match-for-arsenal-yet-says-villa-boss-martin-o-neill-97319-22476112/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

New Real Madrid coach Juande Ramos has revealed his intention to add two players to his squad during the January transfer window.

The former Tottenham boss is desperate to strengthen his squad after losing the Clasico at Barcelona, as the reigning champions are already 12 points behind the leaders.

While Aston Villa star Ashley Young is the latest Premier League player to be linked with a move to the Santiago Bernabeu, the tactician has named two positions he aims to bolster.

Ramos told As: “We want a right winger and a midfielder. The club are working on it and I’m hopeful two talented players with a fighting spirit will join us pretty soon.”

Real starlet Daniel Parejo is currently on loan at QPR, and Ramos has refused to reject the idea of his return to the Santiago Bernabeu in January.

Ramos added: “He’s a player from the club and is seen as an option for the future. But first thing first we are going to try and concentrate on our two priorities.

“If we can’t sign both players we will consider him.”

He wants a midfielder and right winger and he's linked with Ashley Young. :confused: BS anyway.

• Advertisement

they couldnt afford him :p

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Not really worried about Young going anywhere now- it'd be such a risky move for someone who's tried so hard to get where he is now- look at Michael Owen, much more established when he left and it didn't do his career any favors. It'd be a bad move, unless they pay mad money for him which O'Neill would demand especially after the Barry saga.

real are only willing to offer €30m according to the spanish media

that might get them his left leg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Some interesting facts and stats below from football365
    In 81 of course we only used 14 players all season. Would anyone agree with me when I sat Martin Laursen and Geovannni are the players of the season so far?

Aston Villa
    The secret of Villa's success this season is a settled line-up. Their most highly-prized players - Gareth Barry, Ashley Young and Gabriel Agbonlahor - have all been ever-presents this season, as has their captain, Martin Laursen, and goalkeeper, Brad Friedel. In total, the eleven players who started against Bolton have made 154 starts out of a possible 187 with substitutes Nigel Reo-Coker and Nicky Shorey accounting for 24 of the remaining 33.

But for being temporarily deprived of John Carew, Villa have had it easy so far with injury and suspension. The Norwegian is one of only 14 players to have started a league game for Villa so far this season - to put that in comparison, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal have used 23, 21, 20 and 19 respectively - and was the only recognised first-teamer unavailable this weekend.

Ashley Young
    Comparisons with Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo remain, at present, exaggerated, but proper recognition of his talent is long overdue. Last season, only Cesc Fabregas provided more goalscoring assists in the league and Young's combined tally of assists and goals - 25 - was the equal of Wayne Rooney and bettered by only six other players (Ronaldo, Emmanuel Adebayor, Fernando Torres, Roque Santa Cruz, Dimitar Berbatov and Fabregas).

This season is proving equally impressive and equally productive. The winger's assist for Agbonlahor against Bolton was his twelfth of the campaign and was followed by his seventh goal. He remains the single most potent danger to Arsenal's hopes of a tenth successive season in the Champions League - an irony of sorts given that Young himself grew up an Arsenal supporter. Were he an Arsenal player, fourth place would be the bare minimum of their ambitions rather than the summit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

I'd rather have Young in my team than Ronaldo. Ash has been consistently awesome whilst Ron undoubtedly has his moments 50% of the time he whinges and has no positive bearing on the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Samurai I agree with what you say with regards to whinging etc, I still think Ronaldo is a class above Young at the moment, although young has been class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Yeah but don't you agree that Young is more consistent?

Whether he is better or not is a moot point,positive comparisons between a Villa winger and a Balloon 'Dor holder are just another sign of the progress and rehabilitation of the mighty AVFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Samurai wrote: »

Well he is this season but it's amazing how quickly a blip in form can affect a persons judgement on a player, e.g. ronaldo.
    I mean he still has 8 league goals.

• Advertisement

Fabio Capello has praised Villa's young forwards Ashley Young and Gabriel Agbonlahor - and tipped them to star for England in the near future.

The England manager spoke about the pair as he gave his end-of-year assessment at The FA's headquarters in Soho Square.

Capello also revealed he has been very impressed with the performances of James Milner this season.

He said: "I am very happy with the players who play at Villa.

"I always follow their performances.

"There's another one I really like - James Milner, who is another good young player. These players are the future - and it is a bright future."

http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~1489750,00.html

I like it, Im beginning to warm to Milner, his style is certainly different to Ashs but he works his socks off, didnt know he played the Everton game ill as well. 4 assists in 17 so far but that is surely going to improve.

Sidwell also seems to settling, he was making good runs into the box in the Bolton game and of course he scored a beaut against Everton.

Milner and Sidwell are surely only going to improve and increase their goals/assists stats as the season continues and they find their groove, it all bodes well.

said it in here before, but we wont see the real milner til freddie is back

theres gonna be a hell of a lot more to come

Samurai wrote: »

young is a brilliant player, but hes not world class, and its his consistancy which lets him down

hes gradually getting around to figuring out how to play with 2 men on him, but itll take time, and its taken time already, which has in turn caused him to be completely non existant in quite a few games this season

lets not get ahead of ourselves, what we have is one of the best prospects in world football, not one of the worlds best players

JPA wrote: »
    Well he is this season

he hasnt been anywhere near as good this year as he was last year :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Helix wrote: »
    said it in here before, but we wont see the real milner til freddie is back

theres gonna be a hell of a lot more to come

Sorry if this is a stupid question Helix, but who's freddie?:confused::o

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a stupid question Helix, but who's freddie?:confused::o

freddie bouma

• Advertisement

Ah right, I was there for ages trying to figure out which Villa player's first name was Freddie...

How do you see Milner getting better when Bouma comes back. Does Bouma not play left back, behind A. Young? Or has he been moved over to the right recently? Or has Young been moved to the right? I'm getting confused...again...

luke young is playing left back at the minute, meaning cuellar is at right back. cuellar is a super defender, but hes no right back. jimmy has been sitting a bit deeper than youd expect of him all season and i think its coz hes under instruction not to leave cuellar too exposed

when bouma is back he'll sit into left back, luke young will move over to right back and we'll see a far more balanced back 4, which will (in my opinion) lead to mon giving milner his freedom back

That makes sense now. Sorry bout my ignorance! I am a fan of Milners, and after seeing some of his games for Newcastle, I defenitely think there's much more to come from him.

On the whole buying from Newcastle (I know Owen was already mentioned) but what would people think of Oba Martins? I think he could be a cracking striker if he got the proper service. Good competition for Gabby as well.

martins is great, really really like him

fast, powerful, good shot, and good in the air

id love him at the villa, but he needs a bit of work still and we need someone whos the finished article, so id still take owen ahead of him, strange and all as that may seem

Makes sense, no point having the majority of the team still developing. I've really gained a soft spot for Villa since last season, really glad to see them doing well.

And as a Utd fan, I'm glad it's at the expense of Arsenal:pac:

• Advertisement

Love Bouma, he gets stuck in, i suppose we shouldnt build his return up too much, with such a nasty break Villa will be careful bringing him back but you know he'll give 100% from the second he gets onto the pitch.

Is he due back anytime soon or what's the diagnosis?

"I am on track. I hope to be back in training this year, but I will not be ready for games"

-Nov 27th

Hopefully sometime in January/February i would suppose, hopefully it'll be a case of he wont be required immediately as injuries take a toll.

Can we chillax on the Ashley bandwagon jumping, 2 good games does not a season make. He's obviously not going anywhere so long as MON is at Villa, and the Citeh and Real links are laughable.

Dont worry Savman, he'll probably get sent off as Villa all too inevitably crash and burn at the Boleyn ground and speculation will blow over to the next flavour of the week in the PL

Bullard to Madrid? you heard it here first

Dont worry Savman, he'll probably get sent off as Villa all too inevitably crash and burn at the Boleyn ground and speculation will blow over to the next flavour of the week in the PL
    :D

As only we can....

Completely hypothetical debate:

Straight swap: Robbie Keane for Gareth Barry...would you take it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Not even if you threw in Robbie's missus

i would indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Robbie has no pace at all, our success is built on fast counter attacking. I'd much prefer to see Owen then Robbie! Plus I seriously doubt Robbie will leave this Jan. I'm hoping for another pacey goal scorer- Owen would be a great asset if he can stay fit, and as I said before MON and Villa is the place to be if you want to be noticed by Capello. He is linked with a host of clubs today- Santa Cruz looks like he's defo off to City. MON might actually have to look abroad for this striker!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement