Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

JPA wrote: »
    Slipping into condescension there I'm afraid. ;)

Everton are incomparable to Villa as they had and have no backing. The "top 4" isn't set in stone so anything can happen.

Fair enough. I was very close to deciding not to post as it is almost impossible not to appear to be condescending.

Everton are the only club in recent years to break into the top 4. They done so in the 04/05 season. The season before, they finished in 17th place and the season afterwards, finished in 11th. I think they got knocked out in the first pre-qualifying round and didn't get bounced back into the UEFA Cup IIRC. The achievement of getting 4th place and into the CL was a pretty pointless exercise and it possibly done more harm than good as if they got into the UEFA, it is possible that they would have achieved alot more and gained quite of bit of European experience. Instead, they had a mediocre season and virtually lost out on a year of European experience.

Doing too much too quickly can lead to this happening. That is all I am saying.

Helix wrote: »
    id have agreed with that up until the city takeover

now i think this is our only chance to do it before city destroy the english game. if we have champions league football next year, we'll be able to compete for top class players, and so will arsenal even if they finish 5th, on the basis of their reputation alone

5 teams competing with citys money is far preferable to just 4 imo

Fair point. I didn't consider this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

There's no point in doing this

chickens_hatch.jpg

One game at a time, Then January window and FA Cup, then UEFA cup.

But first Arsenal, i hope and expect a 0-0 tomorrow in their game with Pool.

Agree completely. My post was prompted by someone saying that they would be disappointed if Villa don't finish 4th.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

if i was to be 100% honest i still expect Villa to finish 5th but dont think we could use another year in the Uefa as no matter what Man City will be vastly improved this time next year and i would expect the top 4 to be harder to gatecrash with 6 teams atleast (who knows about Spurs etc) competing for it and Arsenal probably having got their snit together.

In every possible way Villa are making progress year on year now and it really is a good time to support the club, The future seems very bright atm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Ive said it before but will again. Failure to do it this year runs the risk of losing Barry, Ashley Young and Gabby. Still think its a long shot though.
    Apparently Terry Butcher has said something stupid like Villa should be aiming at winning the title.
    Anyone got a link??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Ive said it before but will again. Failure to do it this year runs the risk of losing Barry, Ashley Young and Gabby. Still think its a long shot though.
    Apparently Terry Butcher has said something stupid like Villa should be aiming at winning the title.
    Anyone got a link??

barry yes, but not gabby or ash. not for a few more years, theyre not stupid

butcher is right tho, we SHOULD be aiming at winning the title. we're not gonna do it, or even come close, but if the behind closed doors aim isnt to stay in the running for as long as possible, than something is horribly wrong. and i think its clear that something is NOT horribly wrong with aston villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ok I'm drunk but I just want gto say I love villa always have andalways will
    Up the villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Anyone got a link??

Terry Venables.

Terry Venables.

Thanks that makes more since.

Article link below

http://tinyurl.com/8lw3r5

• Advertisement

apart from where he alludes to the idea that we might actually do it, i see nothing wrong at all with whats said. its the kind of mentality we definitely need. say we're in the "title race" (that is to say we're no more than 10 points behind) up til march, then i think we have a major, major selling point to prospective new players in the summer

itll literally be a case of saying "look, we got this far last year, we think a few new top class signings could make us long haul challengers next season", thats got to be more attractive than "yeah, we were close for a while then fell off, but hey we made europe"

just looking at the table

20 games to go, 10 wins will probably get us cl footie (assuming we didnt lose the other 10 lol)

just looking at the table

20 games to go, 10 wins will probably get us cl footie (assuming we didnt lose the other 10 lol)

Good point and even possible if we lose the other 10. The way the season is going a team might go into last game of season with the possibility of winning for a top 10 finish but losing and getting relagated.
    Most important thing is an injury free Laursen though.
    Villa without Laursen = Ireland Rugby team without John Hayes

once boumas back wed have cuellar and davies in the center, which i think could work pretty well

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The higher we go the harder to watch.

once boumas back wed have cuellar and davies in the center, which i think could work pretty well

Dropping the Captain? It's a battle between Davies and Cuellar IMO.

Drop Laursen, what are you smoking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

I think he meant in the event of laursen getting injured

Samurai wrote: »
    I think he meant in the event of laursen getting injured

I don't think so!

Doing well without Bouma and Carew, with their return and 1/2 astute window purchases team should be ok to handle injuries, but of course a loss of Young/Gabby in the next few weeks would really throw a spanner in the works. The Fonz could come in but is it too soon?.

• Advertisement

well Laursen isnt going to lose his place anytime soon. The Villa captain has played in the last 50+ consecutive Premiership games for Villa, although we do have quality CB cover now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

great to see the villa in 3rd. hope the pool sneak a 1 nil win and we still be 4 point ahead of the gunners when we play them on stephens day. no reason why we cant beat arsenal twice this year the way we playing (apart form the hamburg game) lol as for terry venables article why not believe we can go and win it. it be a lot better then aiming for 4th sport and not getting it. i know some might say if we do get cl football next yr it might be 2 soon, but if we do get it we be able to attract top players from other european clubs. heres hoping for a long run in the fa cup and a final in it or the eufa cup here's hoping All boards fans have a great crimbo and new years

come on the villains

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

the last few mins of the west ham game were hard to watch till the ref blew for full time what a relief we didnt concede an equaliser. what will the score be agaisnt arsenal. anyone any idea when carew is back in action again, heard on the villa page defoe could be sold to make money for new signings. whats your view on this

Villa target Dutch starlet

O'Neill keen to build for the future

Last updated: 20th December 2008

Skysports.com understands Aston Villa are lining up a move for Dutch starlet Arsenio Halfhuid.

Halfhuid, who is the cousin of former Chelsea and Southampton defender Ken Monkou, has caught the eye of Villa scouts after impressing for Excelsior Rotterdam.

The defender is a regular in the Under 18 squad of Excelsior after leaving Feyenoord.

Halfhuid is regarded as a bright prospect for the future and his emergence has attracted the interest of host of clubs.

Villa are hoping to win the chase for Halfhuid with Martin O'Neill keen on developing the Dutchman as one for the first team in the future.

Fabregas likely out of Villa game.
    Good news for us without trying to sound callous.
    I wish him well.

Dropping the Captain? It's a battle between Davies and Cuellar IMO.
    Villain wrote: »
    Drop Laursen, what are you smoking?

do you people actually read the thread, or just randomly pick out stuff to stick your oar in about? :rolleyes:
    Most important thing is an injury free Laursen though.
    Villa without Laursen = Ireland Rugby team without John Hayes

why the **** would i suggest dropping laursen ffs

Helix wrote:

why the **** would i suggest dropping laursen ffs

Relax man! Didn't realise what you were replying to.

Adebayor out of next match now as well.

and now adebayor is suspended for the game against Villa also.

considering Fabergas injury, Adebayor's suspension and the fact that they said before the game that Bentner is also out injured id expect to see something like this on St Stephens day.

...................Almunia..................

Sagna.......Djouru......Gallas........Clichy

Eboue....Denilson......Song........Nasri
    .....................Diaby......................

.................Van Persie................

vs

..................Friedel....................

Cuellar.....Davies.......Laursen......L.Young

.......Sidwell......Petrov....Barry...........

J.Milner..............................A.Young
    ...................Gabby.....................

• Advertisement

Great result for us we are in a great position going into the Arsenal game

jesus christ

looking at both those teams makes you realise that that our team is pretty much better than the arsenals

well in the next match on paper atleast it should be imo. Although of course they do have Rosicky, Eduardo (not injured just lacking match fitness/sharpness), Walcott, Bentner, Fabergas, Adebayor etc all missing

true that, tho i wouldnt include bendner in there

hes a mule

true that, tho i wouldnt include bendner in there

hes a mule

Personally I rate Vela far higher but mentioned bentner as I believe if he was fit Arsenal would play 2 upfront with him partnering Van Persie, instead though I suspect Wenger to revert to 1 striker and Diaby as an attacking midfielder like he did vs Man Utd when Ade was injured and Van Persie suspended (i think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Diaby is much in that position. I'd quite happy if they play that formation. Petrov will bury him.

Up to third! I got a nosebleed over the weekend. A draw against Arsenal would be a fine with me.

Not to be getting too far ahead of myself, but Liverpool are only 5 points ahead of us. For me, a draw between Pool and the Arse was a good result. Keeps us ahead of Arsenal, and in touch with Pool.

• Advertisement

Arsenio Halfuid is set to seal a move to Aston Villa, his agent has confirmed.

Skysports.comexclusively revealed earlier this week, that Villa wanted the highly-rated 17-year-old.

Now his representative Winnie Haatrecht has revealed that Villa are trying to finalise a deal for the defender.

"Aston Villa have watched him a couple of times and are doing everything to get him to England from 1st January," he told De Telegraaf.

"If the clubs can settle the transfer then he will sign for two-and-half-years."

Halfuid, who began his education at Feyenoord's youth academy, is in his third season at Excelsior.

not at all familiar with him, but good to bring another young face in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Andy Gray wrote a nice piece in The Star on how Villa can break into the top 4 this year, nice to see some recognition for a great 1st half of the season.

Is VillaTalk down anyone?

Is VillaTalk down anyone?

working fine here

Skipper Injury Worry

Martin Laursen is an injury concern ahead of the Boxing Day clash with Arsenal.

The Villa skipper has had scans on his knee and is now waiting on the results, after experiencing some pain the day after the West Ham victory.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill told AVTV: "At the moment I don't know the full details.

"Martin came off the field against West Ham and felt fine.

"Then yesterday evening, he started to feel a pain in his knee and obviously got in touch with the physios and the doctor.

"He has gone for some scans this afternoon and we are now waiting for the results. Fingers crossed, it won't be too serious but I don't know yet."

Let us pray.

• Advertisement

Let us pray.
    :eek::(
    please no not his knees! he has played 50+ consecutive prem games up to the West Ham game, and I did think this was behind him.

2 more points dropped by Chelsea and Everton.

Oh anyone see the Sky Sports form guide for last 6 games, we're top with 14 points.

I just hope Laursen is fit for rest of season.

Very disappointing news on Stallion Laursen.

Villain wrote: »
    2 more points dropped by Chelsea and Everton.

Oh anyone see the Sky Sports form guide for last 6 games, we're top with 14 points.

I just hope Laursen is fit for rest of season.

Ya, I saw the form guide. I hadn't though of it in those terms before.
    Looks good. :)

Very disappointing news on Stallion Laursen.

Don't jump the gun!

Don't jump the gun!

I fear the worst, its ominous news given what little we know. I'm not a religious man, but i might get my prayer mat out and pray towards Mecca!

I fear the worst, its ominous news given what little we know. I'm not a religious man, but i might get my prayer mat out and pray towards Mecca!

Praise the true lord:
    00002b8c0c8r.jpg

Dear Lord Mcgrath, Please send Laursen your magic knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I'll give Budda a shout and see if he can do anything!

Hope he's okay. Still, if it was last season we were focked. Now we have King Carlos and Davies as cover.

:D

Is there any word on CC? just a knock on Saturday?

:D

Is there any word on CC? just a knock on Saturday?

Haven't seen anything. Seemed to get a few clatters on Saturday so maybe just some bruises.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement