Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

I'd nearly say that in my 18 years of following villa that that first half was the best I've ever seen us play, anyone else agree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

MON says Laursen is out for 3-4 weeks, he had an injection in his knee, thats a big loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

All things considered, 3-4 weeks isn't much for Laursen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

An injection sounds a bit dodgy to me.

If we get Cuellar back the Laursen injury shouldn't affect us too badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Well what a day that was, apart from the poxy Ryanair flight having "technical difficulties" and having to sit on the ramp at Dublin Airport for nearly 2hrs :rolleyes:

Ended up just getting a cab to VP but made good time.

The game: first Arsenal goal was a sucker punch and it would have been a a miscarriage of footballing justice if them fookers went on to win the game. It was a stone wall peno btw.

Fair play to Knight, he shut us all up and with that goal he'll go down in VP folklore. Sickener for the Arse fans as well as the smartasses who left early, missed finale no words can do justice, the roof nearly came off the place :eek:

One highlight, apart from the climax, has to be handbags at dawn with MON & Wenger :D

Barry did nothing bar score the Peno, heavy lies the armband methinks. NRC was savage, Milner is defo a workhorse and Gabby gave the Arsenal back 4 a torrid time considering he was in a lone striker role. Beginning to look like a very accomplished striker, Gallas was not comfortable with him at all. The "boring boring Arsenal" chants were amusing, and in truth they were fairly disappointing save for three or four flashes of their old brilliance. I thought Petrov outshone Barry in every dept and Sidwell did well, kinda came and went though.

So, fingers frozen painfully numb, topsy turvy game, rollercoaster emotions, 30min walk to get cab back to Airport and overall an expensive day out. Can't wait to go back :pac::pac:

Villa

rapid!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Samurai wrote: »
    Villa

rapid!

think your looking for this thread
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58389121#post58389121

Ahaha yeah got lost in between threads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Jaysis lads if you thought my drunken behaviour the other night was bad, I'm now basically in my fourth relationship this week. ****. Pretty girls + alcohol = I don't know what. Why the **** am I posting here? I don't ****ing know know. Ah well.

Villa are also fourth. Coincidence? Well, yeah. Who cares? UP THE VILLA!

Jaysis lads if you thought my drunken behaviour the other night was bad, I'm now basically in my fourth relationship this week. ****. Pretty girls + alcohol = I don't know what. Why the **** am I posting here? I don't ****ing know know. Ah well.

you sir are a king among men

• Advertisement

Harry has said Spurs are out of the running for Defoe because another club made a massive offer, rumours say City or Villa!

I've always been an admirer of defoe and would love to see him at villa but I've a feeling it's city that placed the "massive" bid, a well guess rsc will be up for grabs then still would've preferred defoe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Suazo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

So Hull then tomorrow night, another potential banana skin, but then they all are. I'm hesitant to hope for 3 points, though their form has collapsed whilst Villa are unbeaten in what 6 PL games now? 3 points takes us back into 3rd above Man U & Arse.

CC seems doubtful, Knights in again, anyone think that fatigue might hit sooner or later?.

If performance levels approach anything compared to the first 35 mins of the Arsenal game then Villa should win, but a draw wouldn't be a disaster would it?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Legend!
    Next week stick to 3 and by the end of the season hopefully you will only have one chick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

If fatigue doesn't set in now it will in Jan.
    With the game against Moscow coming up its clear that we will now have to play a 1st team to stay in Europe, if thatsthe plan.

What will happen to the second rates that were bought last year?

Interesting times. I hope we continue with a string of good results against the 'lesser' teams, but I have a feeling that they are all fighting their own battles too :E

So Hull then tomorrow night, another potential banana skin, but then they all are. I'm hesitant to hope for 3 points, though their form has collapsed whilst Villa are unbeaten in what 6 PL games now? 3 points takes us back into 3rd above Man U & Arse.

CC seems doubtful, Knights in again, anyone think that fatigue might hit sooner or later?.

If performance levels approach anything compared to the first 35 mins of the Arsenal game then Villa should win, but a draw wouldn't be a disaster would it?.

Well if we want 4th then drawing isn't good enough. Hull are slipping big time and will be in the relegation fight sooner rather than later.

JPA wrote: »
    Well if we want 4th then drawing isn't good enough. Hull are slipping big time and will be in the relegation fight sooner rather than later.

So are you calling a Villa win then? i want to but gonna wait and see.

Doodee wrote: »
    If fatigue doesn't set in now it will in Jan.
    With the game against Moscow coming up its clear that we will now have to play a 1st team to stay in Europe, if thatsthe plan.

What will happen to the second rates that were bought last year?

Interesting times. I hope we continue with a string of good results against the 'lesser' teams, but I have a feeling that they are all fighting their own battles too :E

I think January then will be the outstanding factor, did i read somewhere MON acknowledged advance spending as Villa find themselves where they are? too much too soon perhaps? i'd take a hammering against a second string in Moscow if Villa are still in contention for 4th i suppose.

• Advertisement

This new fighting spirit will get us a 2-1 win tomorrow night!
    Missing 3 of our first choice back four and Carew but the lads that have come in have been brillant. Reo-Coker (despite the error for the first goal) and Luke Young were really impressive against Arsenal and there should be a ban on criticising Zat until the end on the season on this thread.

So are you calling a Villa win then? i want to but gonna wait and see.

Well I never predict, I just hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

It'll be very interesting to see what kind of performance the Hull players put-in for this game after Phil Browns half-time treatment in the Man City match... If I was a Hull player I wouldn't take kindly to my manager trying to make himself look cool at the teams expense - regardless of the performance, that's just ego-opportunism. There's a crack or two begninning to appear in that 'All for one...' attitude they had earlier in the season... Fingers crossed Villa are meeting a less spirited side.

well atleast right now the fans wont mind seing Knight so much. Kinda annoying that CD is the one position we have true quality in back up and yet when we get a injury in that position we injure the replacement too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i shit myself every time zat knights name is on the team sheet. a goal against arsenal doesnt change that, hes still an out and out liability, and WILL cost us a goal in most games

• Advertisement

Suppose its a sign of the mythical strength in depth all managers want. Hopefully Zat & CD can keep the ship steady through the tricky Jan period while we wait and see on Laursens knee.

MON says Villa have not bid for any player when asked about Defoe, so it wasn't Villa that bid by the looks of it.

even if we are interested we have not made contact with any other club about any players atm (inc Defoe)

MON told Sky Sports Newsthat there isn't a 'grain of truth' in any of the speculation 'flying around' adding, 'I also don't think that anyone has enquired on my behalf.'

'As I have said, this January window is the only opportunity that you get to try and look at your squad and see if it needs bolstering. I believe it does, which could be the more difficult task.'

edit: snap Villan

also surprised nobody has mentioned this:
    Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill will move for Tottenham's Darren Bent if he fails to land Defoe. (Daily Mirror)

although tbh I cant see Harry selling any forwards in January it just wouldent make sense as they only have 2 and 1 on loan, plus the Pavster is cup tied for europe, if anything they need to add one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Why haven't Villa Played Hull already this season?

On another note i don't want Defoe for more than he went to Portsmouth (£9m) as i don't think he has improved as player at Portsmouth.
    Would love Owen on a pay as you play deal.

• Advertisement

tomred1 wrote: »
    Why haven't Villa Played Hull already this season?

On another note i don't want Defoe for more than he went to Portsmouth (£9m) as i don't think he has improved as player at Portsmouth.
    Would love Owen on a pay as you play deal.

For some reason you always seem to play one team twice before you play another team at all every season if you get me.
    I agree on Defoe I wouldnt like to see us paying more then Pompey did and in relation to Owen I think even Alex Ferguson would take him on a pay for play basis. Unfortunately not going to happen.
    A fit Dean Ashton would be a good signing I think or maybe Tuncay.

Tomthepost wrote: »
    For some reason you always seem to play one team twice before you play another team at all every season if you get me.
    I agree on Defoe I wouldnt like to see us paying more then Pompey did and in relation to Owen I think even Alex Ferguson would take him on a pay for play basis. Unfortunately not going to happen.
    A fit Dean Ashton would be a good signing I think or maybe Tuncay.

Oxymoron! Pay as you play would never happen for Owen, never.

I'd like to see Daniel Sturridge come in but he is rumoured to be signing a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

JPA wrote: »
    Oxymoron! Pay as you play would never happen for Owen, never.

Relax, we're only dreaming.

tomred1 wrote: »
    Relax, we're only dreaming.

I think he is just saying I am contradicting myself by mentioning Dean Ashton???
    Or maybe he is just trying to prove what an intellect he is by using the term 'oxymoron':D

Tomthepost wrote: »
    I think he is just saying I am contradicting myself by mentioning Dean Ashton???
    Or maybe he is just trying to prove what an intellect he is by using the term 'oxymoron':D

I just meant that the words fit and Dean Ashton don't belong together.

Hull: Myhill, McShane, Turner, Zayatte, Ricketts, Mendy,
    Garcia, Ashbee, Halmosi, Barmby, Cousin.
    Subs: Duke, Doyle, Fagan, Geovanni, Hughes, King, Giannakopoulos.

Aston Villa: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Knight, Davies, Luke Young, Milner, Sidwell, Petrov, Barry, Ashley Young, Agbonlahor.
    Subs: Guzan, Harewood, Delfouneso, Salifou, Shorey, Gardner, Osbourne.

Up the Villa!

Young v McShane - yum yum

Villain wrote: »
    Young v McShane - yum yum

i like the sound of that!

Shorey must be so frustrated seing NRC start at RB again as the RB is played at LB. Although i must admit NRC has done well (excluding the Arsenal goal) when he has played their recently.

Lol at Nick Barmby inclusion, real blast from the past there, no Windass though shame.

really like how dion is in the studio for Villa games these days, top bloke and always seems to talk sense.

• Advertisement

Lol at Nick Barmby inclusion

hes probably gonna score now :mad:

really like how dion is in the studio for Villa games these days, top bloke and always seems to talk sense.

He was on Newstalk xmas eve morn, had my text read telling him he was great made my xmas:D.

Shame Jamie & Dion went to the same tailor seemingly, so grey.

Helix wrote: »

yup thems the boards rules, you badmouth/laugh at a player and they will score btw Gabby is a pile of shoite

Helix wrote: »

Ah well rather him then some Geovanni screamer:p

Ah well rather him then some Geovanni screamer:p

Geovanni aint even starting :)

I dont like how Hull seem to be playing like the away team sitting back, one up front etc, hopefully Villa will be able to show we know how to do more than just counter attack today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Friedel was blessed there, that was a good goal disallowed.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Friedel was blessed there, that was a good goal disallowed.

ah modern rules say it shouldve been disallowed, common sense says it shouldnt

you cant touch the keeper these days, right or wrong, and you especially cant knock them off balance before they jump

they get too much protection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

agree, tis a joke, Barmby was going for the ball. nothing wrong imo.

why no match thread for this one btw? being a top4 club surely ye should have one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I think it definitely should have been disallowed. Using physical force of any kind on a goalkeeper isn't allowed and rightly so. Would make it way too easy for the attacking team and would be way too easy to abuse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement