Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Villain wrote: »
    "Sky Sports Understands" my b0llix

Sky Sports understands your b0llix? Wow do they both speak some secret language or something? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Sky Sports understands your b0llix? Wow do they both speak some secret language or something? :p
    The language of Love :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Aston Villa have denied making a bid for West Ham defender Matthew Upson.

Villa have been amongst a host of clubs linked with a move for the England defender, along with the likes of Spurs, Arsenal and Manchester City.

However, Villa boss Martin O'Neill insists they have not made an approach for Upson.

"There is not an ounce of truth in it whatsoever," he told Villa's website.
    http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4755317,00.html

Thank god for that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

mixed bag of news on injuries,

http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~1510505,00.html

at least Laurson isn't off to the knackers yard yet!! Thank god!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Hands up!!!!
    Who voted Villa in the poll on the who is going to win the league thread???
    The novelty of seeing Villa in it I just could not resist:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i did

I did :D

We appears to have ourselves a signing gentlemen:

From SSN:
    Villa land Dutch starlet

Dutch teenager set for Villa Park

By Peter O'Rourke Last updated: 6th January 2009

Skysports.com can confirm Aston Villa have agreed a deal to sign Dutch starlet Arsenio Halfhuid.

As revealed by skysports.com last month Villa were lining up a move for the Excelsior defender as they looked to beat a host of other clubs to his signature.

Halfuid, who began his education at Feyenoord's youth academy, has impressed at Excelsior and Villa have moved quickly to lure him to Villa Park.

The 17-year-old, who is the cousin of former Chelsea and Southampton defender Ken Monkou, has signed a two-and-a-half-year deal with Villa and he will join the club's youth team as he is seen as one very much for the future

Agent Dan Fletcher, who brokered the deal on behalf of Villa, admitted Halfhuid is excited at the prospect of continuing his education at Villa.

"Arsenio's thrilled to be at such a great club, it's all happened so quickly for him, but that's the way football is sometimes," Fletcher told skysports.com.

"He's signed a two-and-a-half-year deal at Villa.

"A lot of Dutch clubs are wondering how they've missed Arsenio. Credit to Aston Villa for keeping their interest in him quiet and making their move so quickly.

"His cousin played for Chelsea and Southampton, and will be able to offer him lots of valuable advice about playing in England, and Arsenio's very much hoping that he can emulate him"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

We wont see him play for another 5 years though in all probability.

A signing is a signing in my book. As long as it's not the only one!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Hands up!!!!
    Who voted Villa in the poll on the who is going to win the league thread???
    The novelty of seeing Villa in it I just could not resist:D:D:D

:o:o:o:o:o

I confess father.

Me too actually...

Dunno if anyone's posted this already but there's a link to the podcast of MON on RTE there a few days ago http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2008/pc/pod-v-31122008-53m02s-presidentiallecturesmartin.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Great News!!! Super news, almost like signing a player! I was getting very worried!

From SSN- http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_4759658,00.html

Martin Laursen is set to hand Aston Villa a timely boost by returning from injury ahead of schedule.

The club captain, who has been forced to sit out the last three matches, is back in training after suffering a knee complaint.

The Denmark international has been plagued by similar problems in the past, with his career blighted by long spells on the sidelines.

However, he appears to have shaken off his latest setback and is expected to be back in contention for a first-team recall by the time the Villa head to Sunderland a week on Saturday.

Martin O'Neill will be hoping his skipper can come through the next few days unscathed while he has also welcomed the news that Carlos Cuellar, who is currently out with a hamstring complaint, is making good progress in his rehabilitation.
    Reaction

"I don't know whether Saturday (against West Brom) is too early for them, but they are certainly making progress in that direction," O'Neill told the Birmingham Mail.

"I'm hopeful that if there is no reaction to a little bit of running that they did on Monday that they could maybe do a little bit towards the end of the week.

"Maybe then there would be a possibility of them joining in with the group tomorrow or Friday.

"That might not be a possibility but, if not, then Sunderland would become a strong possibility if they could put themselves in contention.

"It is obviously very encouraging. The expected time frame for Cuellar with a tweaked hamstring was proved right.

Looks like the Hare is off to Stoke,

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/07012009/58/premier-league-stoke-close-triple-signing.html
    Premier League - Stoke close to triple signing

Eurosport - Wed, 07 Jan 12:35:00 2009

Stoke hope to add Marlon Harewood and Joe Ledley to the capture of Matthew Etherington ahead of this weekend's game against Liverpool.

Harewood, a long-term target of Tony Pulis', looks certain to arrive in a £2million deal from Aston Villa and Cardiff midfielder Ledley could also complete his move to the Potteries in time to be included against Liverpool.

Harewood's agent has revealed Stoke are one of a number of Premier League clubs to have targeted the striker, but the 29-year-old will almost certainly move to the Britannia Stadium in the coming days. He has not, however, held talks with the club yet and so Wigan's Henri Camara remains a potential fall-back option.

West Brom have had a loan bid for Harewood rejected, but Bolton and Middlesbrough are believed to be monitoring the situation should his move to Stoke fall through.

TeamTalk / Eurosport

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

goal.com
    Many have tipped Aston Villa to break into the top four this season. It was previously Everton who challenged the status quo – bothering Merseyside rivals Liverpool in particular – but the Toffees appear to have lost a bit of their spark. Thus, it seems to be up to Villa.

Can the West Midlands side really bag a Champions League place? If so, can they do it this season, or might they have to wait a bit longer?

First of all, it must be noted that Villa, by nature, will not buy their way into the elite. They may have an American sugar daddy now - Randy Lerner - but they won't chase superstars, and the fans will be okay with that. They know that Martin O'Neill is trying to build a side with a bit of staying power: a healthy, successful club - not a flash in the pan success.

The fans have waited this long, after all. Not since 1980-81 have they ruled England, with a European Cup following in '82, and their last major silverware was in '96, when they lifted the League Cup.

So, why are the Villans up there challenging at the business end of the Premier League now? The two biggest factors are Northern Irish 'Mr Motivator' himself, Martin O'Neill; and, of course, a few highly-rated domestic talents.

O'Neill has done this before, with Scottish giants Celtic. There, he turned a team of average players into win-at-all-costs world-beaters, which is not far off what he's doing at Villa Park presently.

At Parkhead, he took a bunch of guys who were hardly staggering talents - Neil Lennon, Chris Sutton, Bobo Balde, Alan Thompson et al. - and gave them the kind of motivation and self-belief needed to perform well above their previous potential. He would win three league titles and reach the UEFA Cup final, sparked by a few breakthrough stars such as Stiliyan Petrov and Henrik Larsson – the latter of whom he developed into a truly world-class player.

The same is happening at Villa. Rather than taking players from England to Scotland, he's brought a couple from north of the border – Carlos Cuellar and Petrov – while bulking out the side with some largely unproven Premier League players: Steve Sidwell, James Milner, Nicky Shorey. The gaffer simply knows how to get the best out of these types of players.

Then sprinkle Gabby Agbonlahor and Ashley Young into the mix. These two mercurial talents have been given the task of firing Villa to the next level and, confidence running through their veins, they might just be able to do it.

When O'Neill first took the job in 2006, he told BBC pundits that, though not immediately, Villa could challenge for top-flight honours in the coming years. His claim was met by smirking and sniggering. Now, the number of doubters is dwindling rapidly.

Aside from O'Neill's management skills – which extend from shrewd squad-building to inspiring incredible last-gasp victories – he's also had to break his placid media mask in order to continue his mission.

In the summer, Liverpool wanted midfielder Gareth Barry. O'Neill said no. Jaws dropped and words were exchanged, yet Barry remains a Villan. Point proved, the boss recently hinted that he could let Barry go now that he's extracted that little bit extra. Listen closely, though, and you won't hear many rumours linking Villa players with January exits. O'Neill's stance seems to have worked.

Barry was stripped of the captaincy and big John Carew was treated similarly when he got too big for his boots, dropped from the side despite great form. Judging by those two disciplinary showings, Gabby and Ashley won't let their feet flutter far from the ground any time soon, which could be key.

So, Villa are in the mix domestically and have a good chance of doing something in the UEFA Cup this term. What could stop them from putting the cat among the pigeons?

For a start they operate with a small squad and their depth cannot compared to that at Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea or Liverpool - none of whom have peaked. For this season, at least, there would be no shame for Villa if they merely maintain their current pace.

Still, if they can do a bit of business this month – perhaps bag an Emile Heskey or a Kenwyne Jones to give them that physical presence again, then who knows? Maybe they'll be even better across the second half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

2M for the Hare wouldn't be too bad, provided we get someone else in (who is better :))

I also hope he doesn't pop up with a goal against us later in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Farewell to the Hare, no doubt if its Stoke he'll get his revenge come March 1.

I honestly will miss the hare, one of my fondest memories as an Aston Villa supporter was seeing him come on against Liverpool at anfield last year and bounce about the place like a lunatic. Pure heart and desire.

Farewell Hare, I am grateful for his unbegrudging role-filling and the service he provided when called upon.

A direct replacement in Heskey (i.e., happy to come and provide backup) and another striker and we will be on our way with a foresome of Gabby, Carew, Heskey and <enter new striker here>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

shoutman wrote: »
    I honestly will miss the hare, one of my fondest memories as an Aston Villa supporter was seeing him come on against Liverpool at anfield last year and bounce about the place like a lunatic. Pure heart and desire.

Agree 100% - he changed the game that night, I remember him coming on and shouting at the players as he did - it was a real kick up the arse for the lads that night and they responded.

Marlon, I salute you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

You gotta respect the Hare. G'luck to him if he does go, been nothing but a model pro. What he lacks in skill he makes up for in workrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i dont think Heskey would be happy to go to Villa & provide back up tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i dont think Heskey would be happy to go to Villa & provide back up tbh.

He'd better sign a new contract then.

There'd be a host of clubs interested in Heskey if he was free/dirt cheap.

I reckon he'd fancy his chances of taking Carews place in the team if he went to VP, tbh, i'd fancy his chances too. On his day he really is unplayable. I'd have him back in Anfield.

There'd be a host of clubs interested in Heskey if he was freely/dirt cheap.

Will he be first choice at any club bigger than Wigan?

I reckon he'd fancy his chances of taking Carews place in the team if he went to VP, tbh, i'd fancy his chances too. On his day he really is unplayable. I'd have him back in Anfield.

On his day, Carew is unplayable too. But those days are kinda rare for both of them.

Bolton, Fulham, Blackburn (RSC replacement), Boro possibly, West Ham, Hull (:)), if i was a city fan i'd love hughes to make a move for him too.

Bolton, Fulham, Blackburn (RSC replacement), Boro possibly, West Ham, Hull (:)), if i was a city fan i'd love hughes to make a move for him too.

And Wigan above them all in the table.

Personally ive thought the same with Heskey, his England place in mind surely he would want first team football. Villa like a number of other sides would like Heskey as backup but i doubt hed be happy as just backup. A move to blackburn as a RSQ replacement would make sense and leave big Sam with 10+million to weal and deal with in other positions or just holding out and signing a new bigger contract unless his England aspirations dissapear.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    And Wigan above them all in the table.

League table doesnt mean that a club is a big club all of a sudden. Might be worth remembering that tbh.

League table doesnt mean that a club is a big club all of a sudden. Might be worth remembering that tbh.

weve always known that, hense us always reminding people Villa were a big club before we got Randy Lerner, Martin O'Neil and Arsenals CL spot (atm), afterall it is the biggest club in Englands second city and is one of only a handfull of uk clubs to ever win the european cup.

I am aware of Villas history Mr Bounty Hunter :)

But JPA seems to think that Wigan are a bigger club than Middlesborogh,WestHam,Man City & Blackburn based on league position. I disagree is all

im sure you are just had the strange feeling you just might have been suggesting Villa fans only now suggest were a big club cos were 4th. Nope weve been annoying people about our big club status for years now :D

Nope weve been annoying people about our big club status for years now :D

who ya telling ;)

I am aware of Villas history Mr Bounty Hunter :)

But JPA seems to think that Wigan are a bigger club than Middlesborogh,WestHam,Man City & Blackburn based on league position. I disagree is all

Well Heskey is supposedly looking for one last big move and I don't think he has any of those clubs in mind.

(Man City aren't interested I would say so I don't think they count)

• Advertisement

i guess it all depends on two things, is heskey willing to be a squad player and is that all MON would see him as because obviously Heskey would wanna be at the best club possible and obviously has a liking for MON and no disrespect to the teams mentioned but Villa are a bigger club and on a high atm.

if he is willing to be a squad player/rotated id be happy with him at Villa, especially as a replacement for the Hare as he is a step up (love the Hares heart tho)

I do feel that if he is willing to be a squad player, we'll be in for him too.

well the rumours about him and liverpool which have probably the second most repeated after the Heskey/Villa rumours also only make sense if he is happy as a squad player as far as im concerned, it is interesting where he ends up though and i think he will do a good job anywhere he goes.

yea i agree, i think he is a player that gets way too much stick. would be a great replacement for an injured Torres with plenty of PL experience & ideal to play up top on his own. as well as being something "different" for Europe & being able to play in a 4-4-2 with Keane/Torres or Kuyt. Ideal signing for peanuts/free in the summer considering we are skint.

Tony Barrett who writes for the Echo commented on a site i use the other day when people were discussing us signing him for 4.5m, his response to the speculation was "Liverpool will not be signing Heskey, for 4.5m"

Imagine if we were stuck 1-0 down and had the possibility of playing this emergency formation:

Friedel

Petrov--Barry

Milner
    Young

Heskey, Carew, Cuellar

Laursen, Knight, Davies

Dear lord there'd be some brown trousers in many's the defender with that pack bearing down on them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Imagine if we were stuck 1-0 down and had the possibility of playing this emergency formation:

Friedel

Petrov--Barry

Milner
    Young

Heskey, Carew, Cuellar

Laursen, Knight, Davies

Dear lord there'd be some brown trousers in many's the defender with that pack bearing down on them!!

Laursen, Knight, Davies as strikers with Heskey, Carew, Cuellar as attacking midfielders and Milner, Young on the wings???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've said not so long ago, that United could do with Heskey who would have been a better buy imo than Berbatov.

Just look at all the top clubs and what most are missing is the big striker who can hold the ball up and create chances for those around him.

You guys have one in Carew but he seems very injury prone, as he has always been. But to think of what Agbonlahor and Ashley Young could do playing off Heskey is frightening.

jasonorr wrote: »
    Laursen, Knight, Davies as strikers with Heskey, Carew, Cuellar as attacking midfielders and Milner, Young on the wings???

No!! It's basically a towering scrum of man meat pillaging the opponent's box with the other four punting balls up/across to them!

Looks like we're in for N'ogbia...
    N`ZOGBIA PONDERS FLYING NEST
    Posted 08/01/09 21:12

Newcastle winger Charles N'Zogbia has reiterated his desire to leave the club, admitting Arsenal would be his first-choice destination.

N'Zogbia revealed at the end of last year that he was keen to head for the St James' Park exit and the 22-year-old now claims a move to Tottenham or Aston Villa this month is very much in the pipeline.

"My agents are talking with Tottenham and Aston Villa," he told L'Equipe. "I'm waiting to see what will happen.

"From what they have told me, Arsenal could also be in the frame, but there hasn't been a direct approach from them.

"Personally, I have a little preference for the Gunners but, whatever happens, they are three great and ambitious clubs. It's very flattering to see them interested in me.

"I've spoken to my bosses at the club. They know what my aims are and what I want to continue to progress.

"As soon as a big club knocks on the door with a good offer, I don't think they'll prevent me leaving.

"While waiting I'm continuing to train, without letting my head go down because I am above all a professional."

N'Zogbia joined Newcastle in 2004, with the Magpies paying a nominal sum to Le Havre for their youth team player.

But the former France Under-21 international admits the time has come for a move away from the club in order to attract the attention of Les Bleus coach Raymond Domenech.

He continued: "I've been here for four years. It's a club who have allowed me to discover the France youth team, and I thank them for that, but at some point you have to know how to aim higher.

"I am 22. It's an age where I have to be seen, especially with regards to aims that I have targeted for myself.

"I want to get into the France team as soon as possible and I feel that at Newcastle, that won't be possible.

"I'm at a turning point in my career."

However, N'Zogbia insists that whatever happens he would love to remain in England, even if Ligue 1 giants Lyon or Paris St Germain come calling.

"A return to France is not unforeseeable," he explained. "But personally I have always said that my priority is to remain in England.

"It's a league which I take pleasure from and which suits me well.

"Anyway, a return to France is not relevant because none of those clubs have contacted me."

N'Zogbia admitted that it was partly seeing his friend and compatriot Lassana Diarra secure a move to Real Madrid which pushed him to take a decisive step to clinching his own transfer.

"That's exactly the case," he said. "He's a player I've grown up with in football. When I see what he has done that gives me extra desire to set myself new targets, to do everything to have the same recognition.

"It's for that reason that I feel it's the right time to leave. In a career, you need titles and yet, at Newcastle, that's not possible.

"When I see certain friends playing in the Champions League or others like Lassana or Florent Sinama-Pongolle with the France team, it makes me drool. I say to myself: 'Why not me?"'

I really don't see it happening to be honest. If his desire is to get noticed by the French bosses you'd have to say he'll hardly come to Villa and provide backup to Young on the left. And the formation overhaul that'd be needed to accommodate him on the left, Young in a free role, Milner on the right and a lone striker up front would be too much too suddenly for MON imo.

Martin O'Neill and Ashley Young have been rewarded for another fantastic month by claiming the Barclays Manager and Player of the Month awards for December.

For Young, it is a significant moment as he becomes the first player in Barclays Premier League history to win the award three times in a calendar year.

Manager O'Neill, a recipient of the monthly award for the sixth time, guided Villa to an unbeaten December which saw his side win four out of five games, including three away wins at Everton, West Ham United and Hull City.

Villa also impressively saw off the challenge of an in-form Bolton Wanderers side at Villa Park before a late Zat Knight strike held Arsenal to a 2-2 draw.

Young's emergence as one the most exciting players in the Barclays Premier League continued at pace throughout the month, scoring three goals and contributing two assists to end 2008 in style.

Two goals from the 23-year-old in a man-of-the-match display at Goodison Park, including a scintillating injury-time strike, saw off the challenge of Everton, while another goal from the England international capped a fine team display as the claret and blue troops defeated the Trotters.

A crucial assist, meanwhile, in the dying minutes of his side's game at Hull City's KC Stadium resulted in an own-goal which claimed maximum points.

The decision was made by the Barclays Awards Panel, which includes representatives from football's governing bodies, the media and fans.

It's all good! :D

good to see the recognition for messers Young and O'Neil again slightly less positive is the news about Barry maybe needing an OP though
    Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry could be forced to undergo surgery on a nagging groin injury.

The England international has been hampered by the injury for some time and was rested for the FA Cup third round victory over Gillingham.

Manager Martin O'Neill felt that Barry's movements were restricted during the Premier League win over Hull in late December and elected to leave him out against the Gills.

Barry has told O'Neill he is ready to tackle local rivals West Brom at Villa Park on Saturday, live on Sky Sports 1 and HD1, but the Villa boss remains concerned over his long-term fitness.

O'Neill said: "Gareth wants to play. His is a situation where we will just monitor it. If it gets really bad, then we will maybe have to take him out of things and do one of those little operations.

"But, at the moment, I am miles ahead of myself. Gareth is happy to continue on.

"The groin was the sorest it has been against Hull and I thought it was restricting him in the game.

"But he has had a rest for a few days and now he wants to play."

Monitor
    O'Neill added: "The groin first flared up a couple of months ago but players get niggles and they go through them. Gareth would play through them like some of the other boys in the team.

"It is not one of those that is going to do him irreparable damage. Yes, it can get progressively worse and then we will monitor it. But the scans were okay.

"During a season, if you are feeling brilliant for eight or 10 of the games, you are doing well. Players play with illness and injuries all the time."

Barry has played a key role in Villa challenging for a UEFA Champions League spot after putting behind him the disappointment of failing to clinch a summer move to Liverpool.

VILLA: Friedel; Reo-Coker, L Young, Laursen, Davies; Milner, Barry, Sidwell, Petrov, A Young, Agbonlahor. Subs: Cuellar, Guzan, Knight, Shorey, Harewood, Gardner, Delfouneso.

West Brom: Carson; Hoefkens, Robinson, Barnett, Olsson; Morrison, Koren, Greening, Valero; Simpson, Moore. Subs: Cech, Kiely, Bednar, Brant, Beattie, Do-Heon, Donk.

Laursen, Cuellar and Barry all fit.

FFS Villa, you don't half give us heart attacks. 3 points anyway. :D

well another win and now temp in the top3 and 6 points ahead of Arsenal, tis good playing early sometimes, points in the bag despite not being great again (although we were clearly better than the baggies)

Good 3 points but I see Everton are winning again, I think this is very much going to be a 3 horse race for 4th

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement