Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

One thing that bugs me is it seems we leave our transfers to the end of the window in January, look at Spurs and City both have gone and made signings and all we have is MON denying all links I don't mean to sound too negative but if we are going to sign players I don't see why we have to wait until near the end of the month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Villain wrote: »
    One thing that bugs me is it seems we leave our transfers to the end of the window in January, look at Spurs and City both have gone and made signings and all we have is MON denying all links I don't mean to sound too negative but if we are going to sign players I don't see why we have to wait until near the end of the month?

Hi! Did you just start supporting Villa yesterday?:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

the win over WBA brings us to 41 points - safety has been reached and it's only early January!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

That looked like gabbys goal to me, shot on target no? Harshly credited as an own goal

JPA wrote: »
    Hi! Did you just start supporting Villa yesterday?:D

I deserved that no doubt but I think we need to change we are in a great position I mean when was the last time we were in the top 4 only 5 points off the lead in January with a great manager and a chairman willing to spend.

We need to build a squad so we can compete with Arsenal and if we were to lose Gabby or Ashley with Carew still out we would be really lacking attacking options, I would just like to see us move now and try at least and get the players MON wants and try and cement 4th place.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Neil3030 wrote: »
    So let's see where we're at... 3 games down, 7 points gathered. A win against Brom this weekend and we're half way towards a place in the CL!! Come on!! :D

booya

2 big ones coming in the league tho. sunderland and pompey away are tricky games, and if we're gonna stick around in the top 4, we really need to be picking up points against both

its a big test, and itll definitely show whether we're in this title race for the long haul (nb: we wont win the league, or come close, but we're in there at the minute, and the longer we stay there the better coz it means we're on track for the cl)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

TBH a really bad performance from the lads today. Just generally poor (and a bit of a bore to watch). I still <3 Mr. Petrov though. Oh and Mr. Airport Man said there was some doubt over Ashley's tackle towards the end. No way was it a peno, he completely got the ball. Reminded me of his tackle against United. Did he used to play left-back or something?
    Helix wrote: »
    2 big ones coming in the league tho. sunderland and pompey away are tricky games, and if we're gonna stick around in the top 4, we really need to be picking up points against both

Having seen us play both of these at home, we'll be lucky to get 6 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

we're a different team away tho, surely you know that at this stage

Portsmouth are in freefall it seems. They are far from the tough proposition they used to be.

Sunderland are slightly unpredictable. So if we could get 4 points from the next 2 games it'd be doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Portsmouth are in freefall it seems. They are far from the tough proposition they used to be.

Sunderland are slightly unpredictable. So if we could get 4 points from the next 2 games it'd be doing well.

I'd say 4 points would be a reasonable expectation, although Sunderland are more than slightly unpredicatable. Their performances have been all over the place this season. Portsmouth def don't look as tough as they did. I wonder if it has to do with age - even taking James out I would expect themselves and Chelsea to be battling it out for oldest average age. Maybe the flurry of Christmas games hasnt helped them both.

I also agree on MON's transfer activites - I just don't see the point in waiting until the window is almost closed especially if you have money to spend. One could make an arguement that funds are tight but after City and Utd, Villa are probably the team with the most available cash to spend this transfer window. However it has worked in the past so I should probably shut up but it doesnt mean I have to like it. Especially after seeing Arsenal being massively lucky to get a result in the Bolton game. Fourth place is there for the taking (and depending on how things develop at Chelsea maybe even third). A draw today and they are only a point ahead with the same number of games played (although their goal difference is slightly more positive +31 v +12)

Saw some more of Kevin Doyle v Watford earlier and he would seem to be to be a great option but sadly it doesnt seem to be a possibility.

I also agree on MON's transfer activites - I just don't see the point in waiting until the window is almost closed especially if you have money to spend. One could make an arguement that funds are tight but after City and Utd, Villa are probably the team with the most available cash to spend this transfer window.

I'd imagine Villa are waiting on other clubs to complete their signings before making their moves.
    Darren Bent, Emile Heskey etc

Helix wrote: »
    we're a different team away tho, surely you know that at this stage

I was basing that on us being lucky to have not lost to Portsmouth, but yeah that's very true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I was basing that on us being lucky to have not lost to Portsmouth, but yeah that's very true.

How's that israel/palestine debate goin, you winnin?

How's that israel/palestine debate goin, you winnin?

Huh? I haven't engaged in any debate on Israel/Palestine on Boards. I had one post on Politics quoting a good point from the Irish Times that's it's a bit silly to complain about "proportionality" with regard to war (you don't play for a draw); and there was a debate about whether footballers should be allowed be allowed display political messages when celebrating (I said no), but neither of them expressed views on the conflict itself.

and there was a debate about whether footballers should be allowed be allowed display political messages when celebrating (I said no)

Yeah that's the one I meant.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the one I meant.

My argument that people shouldn't be allowed have any political messages (in case they offended anyone) but religious ones (such as Kaka's "I love Jesus" t-shirt) were fair game because that's not offensive didn't go down well :)

My argument that people shouldn't be allowed have any political messages (in case they offended anyone) but religious ones (such as Kaka's "I love Jesus" t-shirt) were fair game because that's not offensive didn't go down well :)

How bout "I love politics"?

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

How bout "I love politics"?

;)

Or, "Politics is my Religion"

That'd cause a few head scratches

GOD IS MY PRESIDENT

Let's try not get this too off-topic?

Anyone got any ideas if we're going to make any signings this month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

a new striker seems to be the obvious one. Otherwise you guys are fairly strong. Maybe another backup winger type, in case anything happens to Young, but even then, Barry can shift left. Another fullback probably wouldn't go amiss either.

For an economist you're surprisingly little craic...

I reckon we might see a new face or two but there's no obvious rumours out there circulating so I wouldn't know where to begin guessing who these people may be.

For an economist you're surprisingly little craic...
    My mom says I'm cool :pac:

I'm happy enough with the squad at the moment. I'd like a couple of new attacking faces but that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

One or two new strikers, Harewood is probably going to leave, so replacing him +1 would be nice. Also I agree a backup winger would be an option now that routledge has left, any other youngin's who might make it in a few years might be a good shout.

Other then a possible wingback we have a pretty solid squad. Obviously if we could get a world class attacking midfielder that would suit me down to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

ye should go in for mcgeady!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

shoutman wrote: »
    Obviously if we could get a world class attacking midfielder that would suit me down to the ground.

With Arsenals bid for Arshavin rejected it'd be pretty funny if MON nipped in and picked him up! Never gonna happen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

ye should go in for mcgeady!

I'd take him. Back up to Young/Milner

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

well i havent seen anyone else mention his name here yet, might be interesting to see what people here think of him as depending on where you go it seems this guy is either considerd shoite or the new Drogba.
    Aston Villa want to tempt Kenwyne Jones away from Sunderland
    By Alan Nixon 12/01/2009

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill will try to tempt Sunderland to sell star sriker Kenwyne Jones - but must go to around £12 million to get his hit man.

O'Neill has now put the big Trinidad and Tobago forward on the top of his wish list after missing out on Jermain Defoe, Craig Bellamy, Roque Santa Cruz and Emile Heskey.

The Villa chief sent top scout Ian Storey-Moore to watch Jones put on a powerful show against Middlesbrough on Saturday and that confirms his status as their current first-choice target.

Sunderland do not want to sell Jones and have already let Chelsea know he is unavailable - but Villa have the money and the need to land Jones for their bid to make the top four in the Premier League.

He wouldent be my first choice but id be very happy if he signed, hes got a good scoring record at Sunderland this season despite being out injured at the start of it, is still only 23. could replace/rotate with Carew, and could possibly be the targetman in a Gabby/Jones partnership in the future, he could be the new Yorkie at VP bring some caribbean flavour to proceedings mon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

The problem with Kenwyne Jones is that he is not consistent enough. He's great one game and then poor for the next 2 games. Also his goalscoring record isn't great.

Seen that on teamtalk alright, be an interesting signing tbh if we were going to spend that much I'd like to see us tempt RSC with an offer to Blackburn, is he injury prone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Jones is playing with a crap team. Would be better with better players around him able to cross and supply the ball to him. I for one would see him as a great signing rotating with Carew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

The problem with Kenwyne Jones Sunderland is that he they is are not consistent enough.
    Fixed that for you. I've been quite impressed with Jones anytime I've seen him, excellent touch for a big fella and works his socks off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I'd take Jones for £12m, as said already he is only going to get better, and would be big Johns long term replacement. RSQ has had only 1 good season in several years for various reasons, i think Villa could do way better with 18 million.

Congrats to MON & Ash for getting the awards of the month, and Villa won anyway on Saturday despite the so called jinx hooray!

I'd take Jones for £12m,
    Whoah whoah whoah, I missed that bit. No frikkin' way for that kinda money.:eek:

I'm sorry Savman but us Villa fans should no better then anyone that a good price for a player is what the selling club wants not what we think is acceptable. I'd say its unlikely there's anything to this story really but if there is do you really think Sunderland would sell their best striker in the middle of the season for anything less then top dollar?.

I'm sorry Savman but us Villa fans should no better then anyone that a good price for a player is what the selling club wants not what we think is acceptable. I'd say its unlikely there's anything to this story really but if there is do you really think Sunderland would sell their best striker in the middle of the season for anything less then top dollar?.
    There's top dollar and then there's the Man City dementia. He's a good player, no doubt, but christ jesus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

12m is way too much for Jones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Its really only dawning on me now, 1 point behind Chelsea in mid January?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Fair enough but as i say thats the way of the world these days. Transfer inflation is never-ending in the PL and Sunderland bought him for what 6m? bear in mind Villa paid 12m for Milner, Arsenal spent 12m on Nasri, Spurs 16m for Bent etc... you can see what i'm getting at, relatively young and inexperienced players cost a lot not just the stars.

• Advertisement

IIRC Milner's fee included a substantial kickback to Leeds or one of his former clubs, hence why Toon couldn't let him go for less. Something to the tune of £2.5m AFAIK.

Jones would cost at least £12 million. Probably more.

I imagine Soton would have a similar sell on clause in place with Jones?. So thats 6m they paid for him + sell on clause of say 2m + 2m in wages and signing on fee = thats 10/11m Sunderland will be expecting back in any transfer plus whatever profit they want.

I don't think he's what we need IMO. We need more of a goalscorer.

News reports today say Heskey has done a deal with Liverpool to rejoin them when his contract is up, I'd rather bid for Zaki than Jones

News reports today say Heskey has done a deal with Liverpool to rejoin them when his contract is up, I'd rather bid for Zaki than Jones

Well Zaki is tied to Wigan for the year I imagine.

• Advertisement

Depends i suppose on what MONs plans are long term, the success of the enforced 1 striker up front means that even when Carew does return does he start with 2 strikers or keep just the 1?. Jones imo would be perfect foil for Gabby, but as a lone striker i would agree with you JPA perhaps someone else, Doyle i suppose is the easy one to suggest.

Perhaps I'm don't know the details of his loan contract, sometimesn the Loan team has first refusal for the player if they can match the fee but he may be able to move, not sure

Depends i suppose on what MONs plans are long term, the success of the enforced 1 striker up front means that even when Carew does return does he start with 2 strikers or keep just the 1?. Jones imo would be perfect foil for Gabby, but as a lone striker i would agree with you JPA perhaps someone else, Doyle i suppose is the easy one to suggest.

Carew and Jones are very similar. So if Carew recovers and is staying what then? 2 identical strikers who can't play together.

Some rumours that Bent and Defoe don't get on at Spurs so maybe we could nab him but probably not this month.
    Doyle won't leave this month either. Daniel Sturridge is poised to sign a new deal. Owen staying until the summer.
    Heskey rumoured to be joining Liverpool. :confused:

Who is there? Noone we've been linked with seems likely.

Perhaps I'm don't know the details of his loan contract, sometimesn the Loan team has first refusal for the player if they can match the fee but he may be able to move, not sure

Nobody really knows but Wigan did pay a fee to take him on loan ensuring he can't be recalled and you would assume sold from under their noses.

I don't think he's what we need IMO.
    Not at that price?? But what do I care, we're not the ones paying for it.....

or are we :confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement