Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Savman wrote: »
    Pot, kettle....

Can you at least attempt to explain yourself?
    As you are probably aware ' a rolling stone gathers no moss'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

tomred1 wrote: »
    I would agree in what he says about Petrov, i don't think he brings much to the team.

I'm quite surprised that he wrote such a thing, I think Petrov has been one of the best players in the team this year, and I think should he get injured people will see exactly what role he plays in the team. The role he plays ensures that he is never going to be winning player of the month awards or indeed get widespread praise, but nonetheless he is fulfilling his role really well and does have impact on the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Can you at least attempt to explain yourself?
    Sure thing boss, if you're gonna post smart arsey comments you could at least use a spellchecker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Sure thing boss, if you're gonna post smart arsey comments you could at least use a spellchecker.

No 'arsey' in my dictionary!
    Anyway we are on the same side so lets try and get on;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

tomred1 wrote: »
    I would agree in what he says about Petrov, i don't think he brings much to the team.

I hate to use hyperbole but Petrov is truly the glue that has binded together the Villa midfield this season. He has come in for plenty of criticism from myself and others previously but he has found his role within the team. The only thing i'd like to see him improve upon is to find his long distance shooting boots.

I hate to use hyperbole but Petrov is truly the glue that has binded together the Villa midfield this season. He has come in for plenty of criticism from myself and others previously but he has found his role within the team. The only thing i'd like to see him improve upon is to find his long distance shooting boots.
    Agreed, from the outside looking in it's easy to see a Villa team sheet and think "what's he doing there" but anyone who's watched their share of Villa this season will know how important he is to the whole equation.
    Petrov in form = Villa in Top 4, ain't no coincidence...

Agreed, from the outside looking in it's easy to see a Villa team sheet and think "what's he doing there" but anyone who's watched their share of Villa this season will know how important he is to the whole equation.
    Petrov in form = Villa in Top 4, ain't no coincidence...

And didn't he miss both the Newcastle and Middlesborough games!?
    Hope im not mixing him up with Carew:D

Moving swiftly on, I didn't know Ashley Young was the first player to win Player Of The Month three times in one year....:eek:

What a talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Its crazy to question Petrov's worth, many peoples player of 09/10 so far. Just bad journalism IMO.

More D Bent speculation, I really hope this comes true, I'd much prefer him to Jones. He has to be on his way out for a number of reasons;

Defoe- They cant stand each other
    Pavlechenko is playing well and Harry seems to like him
    They've bid for Bellamy and Jones so they're obviously looking to buy another striker.

By my reckoning he'll be 4rth choice there!! He's a proven goalscorer, hard working, and English!!

Open the cheque book Mr Lerner and get on the blower MON- get it done!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

^
    Also Spurs are about to pay €16 for Palacios

spiderdan wrote: »
    Its crazy to question Petrov's worth, many peoples player of 09/10 so far. Just bad journalism IMO.

More D Bent speculation, I really hope this comes true, I'd much prefer him to Jones. He has to be on his way out for a number of reasons;

Defoe- They cant stand each other
    Pavlechenko is playing well and Harry seems to like him
    They've bid for Bellamy and Jones so they're obviously looking to buy another striker.

By my reckoning he'll be 4rth choice there!! He's a proven goalscorer, hard working, and English!!

Open the cheque book Mr Lerner and get on the blower MON- get it done!!

Would prefer Jones 10 times over. D Bent about as good as Carlton Cole IMO.

Moving swiftly on, I didn't know Ashley Young was the first player to win Player Of The Month three times in one year....:eek:

What a talent.

Thanks for giving us the news from 2 weeks ago. Much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Yeah he must be a candidate for player of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Well it was only on the Villa website previously, not sure why it's taken so long to reach the mainstream press.

I think I'd prefer Bent to Jones. He's younger, and more of a goalscorer IMO.
    We have the hardwork and pace of Gabby and the strength of Carew so I think we need a finisher like Bent.

JPA wrote: »
    Well it was only on the Villa website previously, not sure why it's taken so long to reach the mainstream press.

I think I'd prefer Bent to Jones. He's younger, and more of a goalscorer IMO.
    We have the hardwork and pace of Gabby and the strength of Carew so I think we need a finisher like Bent.

Bent is older and Spurs are supposedly better then Sunderland so I prefer Jones goals per game average TBH.

Darren Bent
    DOB Feb 1984
    07-08
    League Appearances 27
    Goals 6
    08-09
    League Appearances 15
    Goals 7

Kenwyne Jones
    DOB Oct 1984
    07-08
    League Appearances 33
    Goals 7
    08-09
    League Appearances 12
    Goals 5

Bent is older and Spurs are supposedly better then Sunderland so I prefer Jones goals per game average TBH.

Darren Bent
    DOB Feb 1984
    07-08
    League Appearances 27
    Goals 6
    08-09
    League Appearances 15
    Goals 7

Kenwyne Jones
    DOB Oct 1984
    07-08
    League Appearances 33
    Goals 7
    08-09
    League Appearances 12
    Goals 5

OK thought Jones was 25. Anyway I wouldn't judge Bent on his time at Spurs where he's been jerked around a lot.

OK thought Jones was 25. Anyway I wouldn't judge Bent on his time at Spurs where he's been jerked around a lot.

If he is not good enough for Spurs he aint good enough for Villa.

Well ok then but I think Jones is too similar to Carew so I'd like something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

[Grandpa Simpson Voice] SUAZO!!!!!!![/Grandpa Simpson Voice]

I think he'd be perfect up front, and should be available regardless of what Benfica are saying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I actually think that his (Suazo's) age might count against him as we would only get a few top years outta him, while Bent should be just entering his prime for example, while Gabby is still young and developing (the Fonz even more so) and Carew is the experienced head upfront.

Bent makies sense though, firstly he fits all the MON usual criteria English, not old, with a point to prove after his spell at Spurs etc... He was actually top scorer in the premiership before (or was that top scoring englishman?) and Spurs dont seem all that interested in him atm.

It seems spurs want a lil n large pair of Defoe plus one, the one being whoever they can get now (K.Jones, Adriano, Bellamy all linked) and Pavlechenko, with F Cambell on the bench or playing in the Uefa where Defoe /Pav are cup tied.

our own resident spurs fan said ages ago
    Defoe will be cup-tied in the UEFA Cup if he signs for us, as is Pavlyuchenko, while Redknapp definitely doesn't see the competition as a priority this season I wouldn't be surprised if we do try to sign him from the Bingo Club as well to give us an option in Europe. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Frazier Campbell returning to Old Trafford if we did sign the two.

There are persistent rumours that Bent is unhappy at Spurs and would welcome a move.

so Defoe for Villa for around 14m if the papers have it anywhere near right, id be happy with that.

D.Bent, K.Jones, K.Doyle this is the type of quality i expect atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

whoever said Bent wasnt good enough for Spurs so he aint good enough for Villa is shockingly arrogant.

oh and Bent is more than good enough for Spurs.

:rolleyes:

It was a compliment to Ashley Young ffs.
    me wrote:
    I didn't know Ashley Young was the first player to win Player Of The Month three times in one year
    How exactly is that "giving us the news from 2 weeks ago"?
    Tomthepost wrote:
    Wow. I rest my case, your honor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Mr Alan wrote: »
    whoever said Bent wasnt good enough for Spurs so he aint good enough for Villa is shockingly arrogant.

How's Robbie Keane working out up there in scouseland?

Bent makies sense though, firstly he fits all the MON usual criteria English, not old, with a point to prove after his spell at Spurs etc... He was actually top scorer in the premiership before (or was that top scoring englishman?) and Spurs dont seem all that interested in him atm.
    Bent would be a very good signing indeed, ticks all the right 'MON boxes'. Don't think him and Defoe can/will work together so if he's surplus to requirements there I'd welcome him at VP tbh.

rgiller wrote: »

not as if Keane wasnt good enough for Spurs, just like Berbs it easier to argue they were too good for Spurs (although maybe it was Robbies level) but still not really a proper comback to defend that comment.

Bent is good enough for Spurs but he doesent seems to be happy there after never really being given a real run upfront after such a big money move and doesent look like he would suit a partnership with Defoe. He is also a very different option to Gabby or Carew and can play as the lone man upfront if needed (should Gabby get injured)

rgiller wrote: »
    Don't think that's a fair comparison and moreso, there is nothing about Robbie Keane/Spurs/Pool that is even remotely Villa related to you can take that discussion to the Liverpool thread, like a good lad.:)

Mr Alan wrote: »

It kinda like Gareth Barry is too good for liverpool and there boring boring football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Don't think that's a fair comparison and moreso, there is nothing about Robbie Keane/Spurs/Pool that is even remotely Villa related to you can take that discussion to the Liverpool thread, like a good lad.:)

To be fair, it was a dig at a pool supporter for calling villa fans arrogant. I could have written pot, kettle, etc to make it easier for you. So if you'd prefer that, go with it, like a good lad :rolleyes:

Back to more pressing matters, we've been very quiet so far this window. MON said he'd be buying but there aren't even many murmurings going on at the moment. Has he just got a few up his sleeve for the 31st or are there no suitable players available?

• Advertisement

well its both the facts that a) most teams are quiet activity wise (ignoring Spurs and City) and dont wont to sell with the league so tight in all positions, especially not mid season and even if they do its only at inflated prices that clubs other than City dont want to pay.

and b) MON could be planning on bringing in 5 players at once for all we know, all media reports atm are reporters putting 2 and 2 together because there is no info actually coming out of VP/Bodymoore Heath these days.

like MON does normally and the window itself, i expect this window to really kick into action in the last few days, should be an interest end of January/start of Feb anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

Helix wrote: »
    holte suite or holte pub?

holte pub is invitation only

holte suite is season ticket holders only
    iam using my friends season ticket for the csk game so how i get in to holte show it to the bouncer or what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

villains77 wrote: »
    iam using my friends season ticket for the csk game so how i get in to holte show it to the bouncer or what

wont be open for the cska, no booze allowed in the ground on euro games

VILLA: Friedel; Reo-Coker, L Young, Cuellar, Davies; Milner, Barry, Sidwell, Petrov, A Young, Agbonlahor. Subs: Salifou, Guzan, Knight, Shorey, Harewood, Gardner, Delfouneso.

Sunderland: Fulop; Chimbonda, Ferdinand, Nosworthy, Collins; Edwards, Tainio, Whitehead, Diouf; Jones, Cisse. Subs: Colgan, Bardsley, Chopra, Leadbitter, Reid, Healy, McShane.

Laursen out, Cueller in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

At least it's not Knight. :)

Really hope we can get a decent signing soon enough. *fingers crossed*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Just a quickie.
    What do Villa fans have against Knight?
    From what I've seen of him he seems handy enough..

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Just a quickie.
    What do Villa fans have against Knight?
    From what I've seen of him he seems handy enough..

He's a liability. The type of player who can cost you a game with a mistake.
    e.g. Titus Bramble.

He's a liability. The type of player who can cost you a game with a mistake.
    e.g. Titus Bramble.

Say no more

link anyone to the gmae please?

http://www.myp2p.eu/index.php?part=sports

thats usually worth trying

edit: HT now 0-1 its working ch3 iraggoals, actually a decent stream although it seems to be from justin originally

http://www.iraqgoals.com/en/ch3.html

All Villa for the last 15 mins or so, come on Villa!

• Advertisement

Get in there Milner!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Get in there Milner!

hand ball also, luck on villas side

OPENROAD wrote: »

yup twas and seams to be now to get an undeserved win.

double defensive sub for sunderland inc McShane's return:D

OPENROAD wrote: »

makes a change doesnt it

*ahem*

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

makes a change doesnt it

*ahem*

:D

:(

Puts pressure on us now to beat Hull

ash sent off

ash sent off

Was it a deserved red?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

FFS, stupid tackle.:mad: We was making some decent plays up until then.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Was it a deserved red?

yup

dangerous tackle, no doubt about it

he MIGHT have gotten away with it with some refs, but imo it was a cast iron sending off

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement