Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

cant believe the way villa are fluking wins really
    Nothing flukey about Ashley Young showing your lads who's daddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

yeh like in the 4th minute of injury time when there should have been 2 and you lot were outclassed for most of the game...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Its nice that Villa are getting the luck, for so long it felt the other way around, even last season it seemed Villa were always conceding last minute goals.

Kudos to Milner for his performance today, bet he's glad now Newcastle not offering him a new contract for him to stay last summer:cool:.

yeh like in the 4th minute of injury time when there should have been 2 and you lot were outclassed for most of the game...:rolleyes:

your sour grapes are an excellent excuse for some late night highlights

Get in there Ash!

Its not sour grapes, you think he would have celebrated like that if it wasnt a 'lucky' win.

hardly.......:rolleyes:

looking back at that goal. (nice finish!) im surprised they didnt have an orgy in front of the away fans...:D

Its not sour grapes, you think he would have celebrated like that if it wasnt a 'lucky' win.

My apologies, I didn't realize there was league points for if's, but's and maybe's.

img.431311_t.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

surely if it was a lucky win, it was a lucky equalizer from your lot? last minute and all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The Villains needed get excited by the bitterness being shown by some fans of other clubs. Thats because everyone is starting to realise that you are contenders, with a great manager and a classy team with excellent young players which should mean a lengthy stay near the top of the table.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

It's not our fault that other teams can't play till the final whistle. This is really something you need to take up with your team's management in relation to fitness and discipline. Thanks for the roflcopters though!

eagle eye wrote: »
    The Villains needed get excited by the bitterness being shown by some fans of other clubs. .
    It's not something I think we were really prepared for, I think anybody will agree that we've spent our years in no man's land and have been long overdue some kind of return to former glory. Even if, in this case, "glory" means keeping up with the big boys, that'll do me fine anyway.

We're not getting carried away, despite being flavour of the month on Sky, we know the weaknesses in the team but somehow, O'Neill seems to work his magic time and time again. MON is by far the best asset we have and he's quite a respectful old school manager so it's odd to see such resentment from other fans. He's one of only 2 managers I could see being able to take over the legacy at Old Trafford (Jose being the other) and not make a balls of it.

As the General said on VillaTalk "the harder you work, the luckier you get"
    Pretty much sums up Villa tbh.

btw got my tix for the CSKA Moscow game at VP :D:D

Holte End...shud be rockin' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Hilarious:pac:

Not their fault.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

eagle eye wrote: »
    The Villains needed get excited by the bitterness being shown by some fans of other clubs. Thats because everyone is starting to realise that you are contenders, with a great manager and a classy team with excellent young players which should mean a lengthy stay near the top of the table.

I thought we were more like Hull +1 (everyones happy we are there sticking it to the regular table toppers and they just like us adding variety to the mix). and that it wouldent be till next season people start begrudging us our position (when they realise weve moved their position down a place)

non-Villa story but an are of interest...
    Everton's David Moyes keen on Darren Bent and David Bentley

David Moyes is plotting a double raid on Tottenham for Darren Bent and David Bentley.

The Everton manager wants £12million-rated Bent, who has been told he can leave White Hart Lane, and to take unsettled Bentley on loan until the end of the season.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp is overhauling his strike force and is hoping to sign Craig Bellamy and Kenwyne Jones to join Jermain Defoe.

Bent, who has had a stormy relationship with Defoe, knows his days at the Lane are numbered.

Moyes has had to rely on midfielders Tim Cahill and Marouane Fellaini for goals after an injury jinx hit his frontline strikers, with Yakubu, Louis Saha and James Vaughan all suffering lengthy spells on the sidelines.

Although he claims Everton have no funds to spend in January, cash is available for the right striker.

Bent, 24, has scored 12 this season after a frustrating first term at Spurs, but Redknapp will let him go so he can continue to bring in his own players.

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill is also a fan of Bent, who cost Spurs £16.5m from Charlton in June 2007, but he and Moyes will be reluctant to get into a bidding war.

Bentley, meanwhile, has fallen down the pecking order under Redknapp, who prefers Aaron Lennon on the right of midfield.

Redknapp has tried to accommodate the England winger, who signed in a £15m summer deal, by playing him on the left.

But Redknapp's view that Jamie O'Hara, Gareth Bale and Benoit Assou-Ekotto could all do a job on that flank means Bentley's longterm future at the club is in serious doubt.

The 24-year-old knows his international aspirations will suffer if he has a lengthy spell on the substitutes' bench, and People Sport understands both he and the club would be willing to listen to offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Bent can't be worth 12 million after a miss like that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

I thought we were more like Hull +1 (everyones happy we are there sticking it to the regular table toppers and they just like us adding variety to the mix). and that it wouldent be till next season people start begrudging us our position (when they realise weve moved their position down a place)

non-Villa story but an are of interest...

Moyes is welcome to them both as far as im concerned.
    At this stage my preferred options would be
    1: Zaki
    2: Benny McCarthy
    3: Kenwye Jones
    4: Kevin Doyle
    5: The always injured Dean Ashton

I wouldn't mind Alan Smith on our bench either if he is still alive and still has something to offer.
    Another great man for our bench would be Stephen Hunt.
    Would love if MoN bid for James McCarthy. Villa would be a great place for him to develop.

Zaki Yes
    Benny McCarthy No This is not 2000 anymore
    Kenwye Jones Yes
    Kevin Doyle Potentially
    The always injured Dean Ashton NO
    Alan Smith No

Tomthepost wrote: »

Huh? Ahead of Bent?? Shirley you can't be serious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Savman wrote: »
    Huh? Ahead of Bent?? Shirley you can't be serious.

No time for him whatsoever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Tomthepost wrote: »
    1: Zaki
    2: Benny McCarthy
    3: Kenwye Jones
    4: Kevin Doyle

I wouldn't mind Alan Smith on our bench either if he is still alive and still has something to offer.
    Another great man for our bench would be Stephen Hunt.
    Would love if MoN bid for James McCarthy. Villa would be a great place for him to develop.

In that order???
    Zaki's only scored 2 penalties since october(I think). The old saying 'form is temporary, class is permanent' really rings true with him. He's not actually that good.

Alan Smith, you have got to be focking kidding right? Why would you want him anywhere near our bench? Wouldn't even employ him as our waterboy.
    Apart from being absolutely crap, he'd be a disruptive influence on our team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Someone suggested to me earlier that Villa were the other team in for Palacios. I didnt think it too likely but you never know he could go RM while Milner replaces Young but he could also play in the centre in the Sidwell role when Young is available.

Man City denied they are they other team, Man Utd have been linked but have already signed two midfielders in january which they said would be there only signings and no other club has said they are the team trying to gazump Spurs. The media have no idea who this 2nd club is similarily the media have no idea who MON is after so you never know.

I see your logic Bounty Hunter and it would make some sort of sense, but my own inkling is that its Brucie boy trying to play hardball with Spurs. I'd quite like to be proved wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Have to say, this is season facinating!

Villa and Arsenal are both unbeaten in their last 8 matches (Villa have drawn 2, Arsenal 3). Both are on pretty good runs of form. Who will crack first! The tension!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

.Don't really want Bent as i presume Spurs will want €10 million for him,not worth it imo but we do need a stiker with experience.I wonder if Kevin Davies would fit in our team, he wouldn't cost too much, he is a great header of the ball and really strong. I hope we get a few players in before the deadline. It will be interesting to see how we play against Pompey without Ash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Teams	P	Pts
    1	Man Utd	21	47
    2	Liverp  21	46
    3	Chelsea	22	45
    4	Villa	22	44
    5	Arsenal	22	41
    6	Everton	21	35

:eek::D:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Jasus, what a season! how are we managing to keep this up playing so ****e?? I could go on about the negative aspects but fook it,

Ashley needs a rest so hopefully we'll get a striker in the next few days! Harry's rant about Bent will do our hopes of signing him no harm at all.

spiderdan wrote: »
    Harry's rant about Bent will do our hopes of signing him no harm at all.
    Bent may not be the Kaka-esque signing some people crave, but IMHO he's a considerable improvement on Harewood and will give Carew something to think about. I, for one, think this move makes sense and could well happen.

Bent has had a torrid time at WHL, but was still popping up with goals IIRC. Imagine him playing with confidence!

bent would definitely be a good signing. hes young, strong and knows where the goal is

i think a move (anywhere, not just to b6) would do him the world of good and get him back on the goal trail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Latest from MON:
    Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill recognises that he will need to reinforce in the January transfer window following Martin Laursen's injury setback.

The Villa Park outfit are chasing a place in next season's UEFA Champions League, but they are currently undertaking the task without the services of their star centre-back.

Laursen aggravated a knee problem after rushing back from injury for the recent victory over Midlands rivals West Brom and O'Neill confesses he does not know when his captain will return.

Ten-man Villa managed to come from behind to defeat Sunderland at the Stadium of Light on Saturday with Laursen sidelined, but O'Neill remains concerned.

"He has had a meniscus problem," O'Neill told the Express and Star when asked about the defender. "Maybe in hindsight we brought him back (too early) but he felt fine.

Fashion
    "He wanted to play (against West Brom) but he felt a reaction to that last week and he didn't play at Sunderland.

"When will he return? I don't know. We will just have to see when it settles down again."

And O'Neill has revealed that he is considering entering into the transfer market in order to strengthen his squad for the second half of the season.

"That is what we want to try and do," added O'Neill regarding the acquisition of new faces.

"I don't think we could keep going in the fashion that we have been doing."

• Advertisement

mons waiting for city to finish their business before going after players imo

Anyone remember the diving header he scored to beat us back in his Charlton days? Then Gabby missed a sitter up the other end....Bent was light years ahead back then.

I think Bent, like Sidwell, left a small club and took the handiest/most lucrative offer on the cards, the promise of CL football and the sun, moon and everything in between. Both were cast aside, forgotten men under rotating managers and unlucky in the sense that no matter what they did, they were never gonna dislodge Lampard/Essien/Ballack/Keane/Berbatov/Defoe.

Sidwell has, mostly, looked a player bar the odd patchy game. Bent needs a similar move to save his career because not so long ago there was a real potent striker inside those boots.

He made one money move, next should be about football IMHO.

ps - dunno who else would be after him, except for Everton. City seem to be getting Bellamy and possibly RSC so there's no other real suitors out there for Messr Bent.

Helix wrote: »
    mons waiting for city to finish their business before going after players imo
    Think everybody is tbh...

2 from bent, sturridge and doyle would do for up top, with harewood out

then we need a backup center back, which will spell the end of knight

Wouldn't be surprised to see another Defender drafted in, but in any case I think Knight/Cuellar/Davies with Laursen coming back soon would possibly see us thru if needed. MON would be just buying for peace of mind and very little else, because Laursen and Davies are difficult to dislodge when they are playing well.

Knight isn't bad enough to be 5th choice, I don't think.

Knight isn't bad enough to be 5th choice, I don't think.

he'll be sold if we get anyone new imo

(if anyone is desperate enough to take him)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Stoke will take him.... Or ship him back to the championship. Shopping list should be 1 or 2 FC, 1 DC/R and 1 Winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

In that order???
    Zaki's only scored 2 penalties since october(I think). The old saying 'form is temporary, class is permanent' really rings true with him. He's not actually that good.

He was injured..

Knight isn't that bad, he's still an experienced PL defender. Not a CL player by any means but fairly ok compared to a lot of other Premiership players. Bramble anyone :eek:

Knight isn't that bad, he's still an experienced PL defender. Not a CL player by any means but fairly ok compared to a lot of other Premiership players. Bramble anyone :eek:

id rate him on a par with titus bramble tbh

• Advertisement

shoutman wrote: »
    Stoke will take him.... Or ship him back to the championship. Shopping list should be 1 or 2 FC, 1 DC/R and 1 Winger.

i think if we got a couple of forwards in we could do without the winger til the summer, gabby could fill in on the right and jimmy could switch to the left for the couple of league games ash misses

easy peasy

carew is fit for an appearance off the bench at the weekend

hmmmmmm

little bit too convenient that isnt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

carew is fit for an appearance off the bench at the weekend

hmmmmmm

little bit too convenient that isnt it

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

I'm confused. Do you mean because Young is suspended?
    Carew was back training last week.

JPA wrote: »

lol

do you not think somethings definitely up there?

carew out with a mystery injury after failing to start a single match after the ajax stripclub thing, and then as soon as young gets suspended for 3 games, carew is back out of nowhere ready to lead the line letting gabby go to the right wing and milner to the left so we dont have to change our shape or gameplan?

lol

carew out with a mystery injury after failing to start a single match after the ajax stripclub thing, and then as soon as young gets suspended for 3 games, carew is back out of nowhere ready to lead the line letting gabby go to the right wing and milner to the left so we dont have to change our shape or gameplan?

I know he definitely started in Europe after the incident and I don't think MON would put Villas chances in jeopardy by not playing him as a disciplinary thing.

If there's a big problem why hasn't he been sold this month? As he's a allegedly not even injured.

lol

I said exactly the same thing on here only a few days ago, but oh no, I was nearly ran out of town to the Conspiracy Theory forum :rolleyes:

I said exactly the same thing on here only a few days ago, but oh no, I was nearly ran out of town to the Conspiracy Theory forum :rolleyes:

But Carew was back training last week. did they predict Young getting sent off? :rolleyes:

JPA wrote: »
    But Carew was back training last week. did they predict Young getting sent off? :rolleyes:
    Yeah, MON is God after all. And God wouldn't cold shoulder a player for breaching club discipline.

cough

cough

cough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

That is totally acceptable. Ridiculous to compare those incidents ie. current player telling another to leave and the other making stupid comments in the media to a player thinking he wasn't going to be playing so headed out to a tittybar with a lady friend....

Ridiculous, do you think that Carew would go along with this fake injury business if he wanted to be playing?

• Advertisement

Yeah, MON is God after all. And God wouldn't cold shoulder a player for breaching club discipline.

cough

cough

cough

Irrelevant to this exact issue. Carew was on the way back anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement