Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

shoutman wrote: »
    That is totally acceptable. Ridiculous to compare those incidents ie. current player telling another to leave and the other making stupid comments in the media to a player thinking he wasn't going to be playing so headed out to a tittybar with a lady friend....

Ridiculous, do you think that Carew would go along with this fake injury business if he wanted to be playing?
    I don't know for sure, but neither does anybody else. I just know when something sounds a bit off. Even the mainstream media have picked up on Carew's ominous absence and mysterious injuries.

Hey, maybe it's nothing to worry about and he'll be back for the run-in getting on the score sheet, and if so, who cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I agree with JPA, it's just lucky timing that Carew is on the way back when Ash got sent off, and I don't think there's any conspiracy behind his injury.

This is a story from before the Sunderland game http://www.teamtalk.com/football/preview/0,16374,1767_4802675,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Savman wrote: »
    Yeah, MON is God after all. And God wouldn't cold shoulder a player for breaching club discipline.

cough

cough

cough

FFS here we go again!

In that order???
    Zaki's only scored 2 penalties since october(I think). The old saying 'form is temporary, class is permanent' really rings true with him. He's not actually that good.

Alan Smith, you have got to be focking kidding right? Why would you want him anywhere near our bench? Wouldn't even employ him as our waterboy.
    Apart from being absolutely crap, he'd be a disruptive influence on our team.

Yes in that order. Zaki plays for Wigan FFS and still has a really impressive record. He is a busy, fast, strong and good in the air (forget that Citeh miss). He also had a good record pre-wigan. And yes as someone else validly pointed out he was injured for a period!
    Alan Smith was a really good player until that injury at Utd a few years back when playing Liverpool. If he could ever get back to that level I would love to have him on our bench for his heart and versatility. Then again maybe you are a better judge of players than Alex Ferguson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

this brought a chuckle

Martin O’Neill has upped Ashley Young’s price tag to £82 million – but says neither he nor Gabriel Agbonlahor would be allowed to leave Aston Villa.

O’Neill recently suggested Young would be worth £75 million in today’s market and, following reports of Manchester City’s £100 million bid for Kaka, O’Neill has now joked that the former Watford winger has added £7 million to his value after winning the December Premier League player of the month award.

But, although he admits he may have to reconsider if such an offer did come in, he insists both Young and Agbonlahor will be staying at Villa Park.

“What did I say he was worth before? Was it £75 million? Well, let’s make that £82 million now,” he said in The Daily Telegraph.

“Players like Ashley Young and Gabriel Agbonlahor are priceless – absolutely irreplaceable.

“I wouldn’t contemplate selling off players but, then again, I’m sure AC Milan would not have entertained any bid for Kaka. Now they must be entertaining it.

“But it’s not going to happen here. What is going on is quite incredible and I think it will have repercussions. It’s staggering.”

• Advertisement

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Yes in that order. Zaki plays for Wigan FFS and still has a really impressive record. He is a busy, fast, strong and good in the air (forget that Citeh miss). He also had a good record pre-wigan. And yes as someone else validly pointed out he was injured for a period!
    Alan Smith was a really good player until that injury at Utd a few years back when playing Liverpool. If he could ever get back to that level I would love to have him on our bench for his heart and versatility. Then again maybe you are a better judge of players than Alex Ferguson?
    IIRC, Zaki is on loan at Wigan who have first refusal, so he won't be on anyone's radar until the Summer at least.
    Alan Smith, er, hmmm no thanks.... and your Alex Ferguson jibe holds no merit at all, exhibit A: Mr. John O'Shea.

first refusal means nothing anyway

the player still gets to pick where he ends up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Alan Smith has like so many players before him gone to the player graveyard that is St James Park and watched his career die, we need to look forward. ill be happy with any of Bent, Doyle or K.Jones personally but have no idea who we are actually in for.

Im also surprised and happy to hear Carew could be back wonder would it be 4-4-2 with Carew and Gabby up top and NRC on the right as before or would we stay with 1 upfront and have Gabby go RM for a few games.

Helix wrote: »
    first refusal means nothing anyway

the player still gets to pick where he ends up
    Yes but he won't be moving before the Summer anyway, after that he's still a player belonging to that obscure Egyptian team so he'll go to the highest bidder I would imagine.
    Alan Smith has like so many players before him gone to the player graveyard that is St James Park and watched his career die, we need to look forward. ill be happy with any of Bent, Doyle or K.Jones personally but have no idea who we are actually in for.
    I'd be pretty underwhelmed with Alan Smith, I think that ship has sailed. We only have one and a half strikers at VP, Carew being the half because you cannot really factor in Nathan or The Hare as they are bit part players.

At this stage, I think MON would/should be looking at Carew's potential successor because I can't see the big man being a consistent performer after the next 2-3 seasons. His experience in Europe is invaluable and will be great if we can nick a CL spot, but beyond that we need something a bit more long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Pool and Everton drop 2 points it's a good day, I don't know where they got the idea this is the worst day of the year :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I didn't realise he was injured. But I still don't think he'd be better than Bent or Jones would be.

Smith WAS a decent (not great) player when Mr. Ferguson bought him. But that was years ago. He's now crap, and has been for the last few years. I don't think we should be buying players on the off chance that they may get back to the level they once we're at.

tomred1 wrote: »
    .Don't really want Bent as i presume Spurs will want €10 million for him,not worth it imo but we do need a stiker with experience.I wonder if Kevin Davies would fit in our team, he wouldn't cost too much, he is a great header of the ball and really strong. I hope we get a few players in before the deadline. It will be interesting to see how we play against Pompey without Ash.

No. Kevin Davies is rubbish. That's why he's been at Fulhma for years.

10 million isn't actually that much these days. Bellamy is off to Citeh for 14million, and Blackburn are looking for something ridiculous for RSC. 10million for Bent would actually be really good value imo.

wouldent mind a punt on either Sturridge or Evans at Man City one of which must be surplus to requirments as the know have Bellamy, Jo, Robinho, Caicedo, Benjani, Vassel, Sturridge, Bojinov, Evans all that can play CF and who knows who else lined up.

sturridge would be great

sturridge would be great
    No way, we'd never fit that name into a proper chant.

oh danny boy would work fine

"oh danny boy
    the holte the holte is calling
    from post to post
    along the goal side"

etc

lol

Pavel Pogrebnyak was Nineeen years old when he made his debut for Spartak Moscow. Now 6 years on he has scored Twent-Nine golas for Zenit St Petersburg, including two goals in the European Super cup agaisnt the mighty Manchester united, thereby becoming fundamental in coach Dick Advocaat's tactical set up. The numbers are impressing, and he is right now considered one of the best Strikers in Russia.

You have been playing in Russia all your career. How has the league changed since 2002, and in your opinion, what is required to sustain future growth both on a technical and tactical level?

The league has evolved in a tremendous fashion under every point of view. If you look at the quality of play, it has improved steadily and we continue to provide players for our national teams. Our impact players are getting younger all the time, and as they are moving into Europe, they are key players on their teams. Financially speaking, we have a solid foundation which has allowed the league to start committing to domestic and international players in a way which it makes it desirable to stay and play here. In other words, with time, more money for the league means more compensation for the players, and that leads to a good level of play.

Could you please describe a typical day of training with the Zenit?

With every coach is different. But typically, we start with a warm up, technical work, and some reduced space possession. Depending on what the coach wants to work on and depending on what day of the week it is, we might do finishing, play a little, or work on tactical drills, specific for offense or defense. Then we cool down, ice baths, and treatment.

Who has been the most challenging Defender that you have faced?

Certainly I’ve faced many good Defenders but the most challenging would have to be Nemanja Vidic, when we played Manchester United in the European Super Cup. I did score both of our goals though.

There have been many rumours that you may be leaving Zenit in the near future, has there been any confirmed interest in you?

Many teams have shown interest in me. Aston Villa have shown alot of interest and i know that they have made an offer, if all goes well i will soon be leaving for England.

What advice would you give to a young player who would like to make professional football a career?

You have to persevere. You might get shut down or put down as a player, but you have to believe in yourself, believe in your abilities, and be willing to sacrifice to achieve your dream.

Mr. Pogrebnyak, thank you very much for your contribution to our column.
    Thankyou for having me.

know nothing abotu this chap, but internets tell me he was top scorer in last seasons uefa cup and is a far better version of pavlyuchenko

One Pavel Pogrebnyak, there' s only one Pavel Pogrebnyak

Yep, rolls off the tongue :pac::pac:

know nothing abotu this chap, but internets tell me he was top scorer in last seasons uefa cup and is a far better version of pavlyuchenko

Just noticed this on the BBC gossip column:
    Bolton Wanderers are poised to take striker Pavel Pogrebnyak from Zenit St Petersburg on loan. (Manchester Evening News, 1043)

they tried for him on loan last week and were knocked back afaik

• Advertisement

whats the source of that Pavel Pogrebnyak interview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

whats the source of that Pavel Pogrebnyak interview?

I think it's bull. The guy who posted it on total footballforums had a post count of two and didn't even link to the website he supposedly pulled the quote from.

I really hope we don't miss this opportunity, we have a chance to lure players that may not have have thought of going to Villa before, I know Man City have messed the whole transfer window up but we have a chance now to compete for a Champions League place and we need more quality.

On the good side though Carew and Bouma are back in full training. It may be a bad phrase from the HDE era but it really would be like a new signing to see each of these guys back. Obviously Bouma will have to play at reserve level to get back to fitness but Carew will be on the bench I'd say for our next league game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Alan Smith, Kevin Davies, is this a joke?

Villa have a decent number of English players and it will be difficult for us to compete for signatures of quality premiership players as nobody wants to sell unless they need cash.

I think we need to look overseas where there is a bigger market for good players and young potential. I like the sound of Pogrebnyak and I would take N'Zogbia for cover as he's only early 20's and could be a good punt at 4m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Mon looking to get Petrov to sign a new deal. Still no reports on possible signings.

Sturridge mentioned on Setanta News. Out of contract at end of season so could get him on the cheap apparently. TBH never seen this guy play. Any good?

Sturridge mentioned on Setanta News. Out of contract at end of season so could get him on the cheap apparently. TBH never seen this guy play. Any good?

bags and bags and bags of potential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

bags and bags and bags of potential

So is he refusing a new contract in the hope of a move to first team regularity? Seems strange that Hughes wouldn't want to tie down a player with such potential, regardless of who they can buy*

*or, more appropriately, throw a tonne of money at only to be rejected like the pimply kid at a school disco....

• Advertisement

City have about 9/10 strikers on their books. I'd say his chances are fairly limited there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

i've seen sturrige a couple of times and he seems good. But does he have the experience we need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Just seen Blackburn linked with Eidur Gudjohnson, he would be a good player to get as he can play on the wing aswell as upfront and plenty of experience. His wages might be high though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Pogrebnyak was unlucky to miss Euro 2008 off the back of a fantastic season. He was a bit disappointing in the group stages of this season's CL, but then again Zenit were as a whole.

Re: Sturridge, they might have a lot of numbers in that position but I'd say City fans would be pissed to lose him before the likes of Vassell, and even Benjani or Jo.

Sun: Aston Villa have been quoted £5.5m for Manchester City striker Daniel Sturridge. Boss Martin O'Neill could now wait until the summer when Sturridge is out of contract.

hmmm...

**** it

pay the money and get the body in

we cant afford to be cocking round for the sake of a few million

• Advertisement

A West Ham Utd
    H Arsenal
    A Hull City
    H WBA
    A Sunderland
    A Portsmouth
    H Wigan Athletic
    A Blackburn

13/20 so far....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Yep, pay the 5.5m, in the context of potential 30-40M extra coming from the CL TV deal its small fry. We don't need a summer of 'if only MON did this that and the other...' as Villa finish 5th.

Yep, pay the 5.5m, in the context of potential 30-40M extra coming from the CL TV deal its small fry. We don't need a summer of 'if only MON did this that and the other...' as Villa finish 5th.

I don't think this is the guy that will help us get into the champions league this season though. What we really need is a few heads that have been there and done that.
    If Sturridge really wants to go to Villa he will wait until the summer. Its not like he will increase his profile at city during the rest of this season as he will probably not play.
    Gudjohnsen sounds exactly like the type of guy we need.

Perhaps Tomthepost but we have to remember there already is Agbonlahor & Carew as well as the Fonz in reserve. I have doubts as to whether a Gudjohnson or a Bent would join Villa knowing 1st team football is not guaranteed by MON even though this is what i would expect these players would be expecting if they leave their current clubs.

Whereas with a Doyle or a Sturridge joining Villa they fit the profile as young talent with potential who will sit on the bench if they're not playing well and not sulk about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Doyle has been banging in the goals as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Doyle is 25 and Sturridge is 19. I think if we got Sturridge we would still need another forward as The hare is surely gone.
    Sturridge has something I think we lack up front, a footballing brain.

Anyone think Heskey will be moving soon?
    Rodallega and Mido both joining Wigan or on the verge of.

Heskey and Sturridge would be good. Or Bent.

It seems Heskey is a villa player for 30 minutes now. Any more backup on this?

homah_7ft wrote: »
    It seems Heskey is a villa player for 30 minutes now. Any more backup on this?

The "rumour mill" says £3.5 million deal is signed and sealed. I have no backup, just reading it other places.

It's being reported on the Birmingham post now.

I for one welcome our new non scoring former Bluenose hero, now can he play left wing?

I suppose it gives the long balls out of defence some chance of sticking.

I'd be happy with Heskey signing

homah_7ft wrote: »
    It's being reported on the Birmingham post now.

5 year deal they say. :confused:
    Would have thought it would be 3 at most.

Ill admit Heskey isnt the player i want but ill be happy with his signing, I think heskey will do a good job in whatever role he is given and he certainly add needed depth to the squad. He is the type of player who makes thos around him better and is a very good replacement for Carew. Considering the current transfer window/economic climate this is a good deal (im not looking at what any papers supposed we offered as a contract) although i had hoped for someone who would make an impact not just now but in the future too.

Wonder would this mean Marlon will look elsewhere now? still think Harewood at Stoke just makes sense for some odd reason.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement