Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the only positive from the fa cup weekend is that Arsenal, Everton & Liverpool all have to play replays also.

i dont think so

i think a major positive is that young gets to play against doncaster in the replay before the chelsea game

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Laursen absence could see new blood

January 24th Express & Star

Villa manager Martin O’Neill has admitted Martin Laursen’s lengthy absence could prompt him to make defensive reinforcements before the transfer window shuts.

Skipper Laursen has been ruled out for two months after knee surgery, leaving O’Neill to choose between Curtis Davies, Carlos Cuellar and Zat Knight for the three central defensive slots.

He admits injuries to any of the trio would leave him desperately short of cover.

O’Neill said: “I will certainly be considering it. We’ll definitely have a look to see what we can do. We have one more week, then after that we have to go on with whatever we have.

“Manchester United picked up three injuries in one game and that’s possible I know. In an emergency Luke Young has played at centre-back, but in essence I wouldn’t want to change it.

“We’ve got three centre backs at this minute to carry us through and eight weeks in an awfully long time.”

O’Neill added: “To lose Martin is a real bad blow for us and a real big blow for him. Gareth will be the captain in Martin’s absence and there is no problem with that whatsoever.”

O’Neill said Villa hope to arrange a behind-closed-doors friendly next week to aid Freddie Bouma and John Carew’s recovery bids “We’re trying to organise a game halfway through next week,” he said. “Freddy’s played little bits of games here with us, but the boys have been very careful with him. It was pretty bad and he’s got that to get over.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I have a bad feeling we could sign Robbie Keane

he'd be a great signing. proven to work really well alongside a target man, but liverpool wont do business with us imo

this looks far more likely:
    Aston Villa target Manchester City youngsters

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill has lined up a £10million double swoop on Manchester City for Michael Johnson and Daniel Sturridge.

Johnson, 20, will be allowed to leave Eastlands after struggling to force his way into Mark Hughes' revamped team and will cost around £6m.

Sturridge, 19, is also ready to quit as he is still yet to receive a new contract offer.

O'Neill said: "We have been on the go since July. Buying players is what we want to try and do."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Id love to see Robbie at the club, i can see Rafa slapping a £30m price tag on his head if he found out MON was interested though.

I wonder what CB he has in mind, i hope the Upson rumour wont start up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

wynters wrote: »
    Freddy’s played little bits of games here with us, but the boys have been very careful with him. It was pretty bad and he’s got that to get over.

Poor Freddy. I miss him. Come back soon, boomboy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Helix wrote: »
    i dont think so

i think a major positive is that young gets to play against doncaster in the replay before the chelsea game

He's only missing 3 games, he will hardly get rusty.

id still rather him play a match before it than going in after a layoff, regardless of how few games it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It'd be different if he was injured though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Helix wrote: »
    this looks far more likely

Those two signings would be immense, a defender on top of them and we'd have a squad capable of keeping the pace for fourth imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

looks like NRC is out for a week or two aswell.
    Bill Howell, Birmingham Mail

MARTIN O’Neill admits Nigel Reo-Coker’s hamstring injury is a “big concern”, while Gabby Agbonlahor will need treatment before he is able to face Portsmouth.
    The versatile former West Ham player faces a spell on the sidelines after his second-half injury at Doncaster and striker Agbonlahor also received a knock.
    “It is a big concern, there’s no doubt about it, as every player who goes down is,” said O’Neill, whose side are already without the suspended Ashley Young, although Luke Young returns to the fold after his one-match ban.
    “We know we have other people missing as well, like Martin Laursen, so it is definitely a concern.
    “Gabby has got a knock, I’m hoping he’s going to be all right. He had his leg wrapped up in the dressing room afterwards.”
    O’Neill, who put out his strongest available side, says Villa are still dreaming of Wembley.

Yes, just before Gabby hit the crossbar, they should him holding his thigh. I suppose Heskey will defo start now with NRC out. I wonder if Barry will play on the left and get forward more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Probably 4-5-1 tomorrow
    Friedel GK
    Cullear RB
    Davies CB
    Knight CB
    L Young LB
    Gabby RW
    Sidwell CM
    Petrov CM
    Barry CM
    Milner LW
    Heskey CF

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Probably 4-5-1 tomorrow
    Friedel GK
    Cullear RB
    Davies CB
    Knight CB
    L Young LB
    Gabby RW
    Sidwell CM
    Petrov CM
    Barry CM
    Milner LW
    Heskey CF

exactley what i expect too, been a while since gabby has been used on the wing, atleast Pompey are in absolutley terrible form atm.

exactley what i expect too, been a while since gabby has been used on the wing, atleast Pompey are in absolutley terrible form atm.
    Why do you think he will play Gabby on the wing? It would be like a demotion on him. I think he should go 4-4-2 with Barry on the left.

ill be amazed if gabby isnt on the wing tbph

if of course he plays

mon was saying today he might be a doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Pompey are in absolutley terrible form atm.

Maybe so, but they just signed Pele! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Gabby is Top Goalscorer, I would be very surprised if he was 'winged' for any forthcoming fixture. I think the idea of playing him outside right last year was more to do with his footballing education than about him being any use out there at all. Seems to have worked too.

Savman wrote: »
    Gabby is Top Goalscorer, I would be very surprised if he was 'winged' for any forthcoming fixture. I think the idea of playing him outside right last year was more to do with his footballing education than about him being any use out there at all. Seems to have worked too.

id agree with that a la Henry. but MON has not used Barry at LM as far as i can remember, yes LB but not LM and with young out milner switches to LM so who goes RM in this 442 NRC is injured, Gardner maybe? but that would mean dropping Sidwell atleast.

It really does underline our need for a backup winger but I expect us to stick with 451/433 and play as below vs Pompey

.....................Friedel

Cuellar.....Davies.....Knight....Young

.........Sidwell....Petrov....Barry...

Gabby.............................Milner
    ....................Heskey

Subs: Guzan, Knight, Shorey, Gardner, Bannon, Harewood, Delfouneso

although i suppose we could always go 4312 with Milner in the free role Young had at the end of last season but i expect the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

That looks good BH. I'd imagine Gabby will be on the right, but not in the traditional RW in 4-4-2 midfield. It will basically be Heskey up front with Milner/Gabby pushing up off him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

id agree with that a la Henry. but MON has not used Barry at LM as far as i can remember, yes LB but not LM and with young out milner switches to LM so who goes RM in this 442 NRC is injured, Gardner maybe? but that would mean dropping Sidwell atleast.

It really does underline our need for a backup winger but I expect us to stick with 451/433 and play as below vs Pompey

Gabby.............................Milner
    ....................Heskey

Subs: Guzan, Knight, Shorey, Gardner, Bannon, Harewood, Delfouneso

although i suppose we could always go 4312 with Milner in the free role Young had at the end of last season but i expect the above.

I see something similar to this. Although I don't foresee Zat Knight defying the parameters of physical possibility and existing in two places at the one time, but that's probably a debate for a different board....

we're after paul scharner according to his agent
    Cardiff tell Wigan they will have to find £6m for Ledley signing

Wigan manager Steve Bruce has been told he will have to find at least £6million in a straight cash deal to buy Cardiff City midfielder Joe Ledley - but may face a battle to hold on to defender Paul Scharner.

Bruce, who signed Crystal Palace midfielder Ben Watson for £1.8m yesterday and is weighing up a loan deal for Argentine midfielder Fabian Cubero, wants Ledley to provide balance to the left side of his midfield.

He has offered striker Henri Camara and Wales midfielder Jason Koumas as part of the deal but both were reluctant to switch and Cardiff would prefer the cash.

That may be a problem for Wigan chairman Dave Whelan as he waits for Tottenham to pay the first part of the £14m they owe for Wilson Palacios.

Whelan may also have to resist a £6m bid from Aston Villa for Scharner, whose agent, Valentin Hobel, said: 'Aston Villa are interested in Paul. There is definitely something in it. The ball is in Villa's court.'

Scharner added: 'Aston Villa are an ambitious club, and joining them would be an upward step for my career. 'I originally decided to stay with Wigan in the new year, but if an offer comes in for me I will consider it.'

reckon theres something in this alrite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Milner................................Heskey
    ....................Agbonlahor

Subs: Guzan, Shorey, Gardner, Bannon, Harewood, Delfouneso

I'm actually interested to see the lineup with Heskey but I think its more likely to be this way against Portsmouth. You could see a lot of switching going on. I might be completely wrong but I think Milner plays on the right and Heskey on the left with Agbonlahor and Heskey switching from time to time to pose a different threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Id imagine Pompey will play a similiar formation as us tonight, with Crouch being played on his own up top.
    Id rather see Gabby get a chance to play alongside Heskey up top with Barry on the left, Milner on the right and Petrov and Sidwell in the centre. Perhaps we'll see this if we go 1 down.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

is the match on TV tonight?

Edit: Sky Sports 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Difficult one to call, this. Would take a point all things considered, but it's not beyond the realms of MON-type possibilities to win it outright.

So long as we avoid defeat I think I'd be reasonably satisfied.

(still expecting to win though, secretly)

we really should be winning this sort of game, no questions about it

Hopefully everyone will be talking about Heskey's great debut and not Laursen and Youngs absence tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

This game should be a win, Pompey have been brutal of late. But we have gotten very lucky in winning games that were destined to be draws. I see this being a 1-1 game.

• Advertisement

atleast its Arsenal have to play Everton tommorow, although id prefer them playing at the same time as us and not knowing they are either 6points behind and have to win or 3 points behind and can catch us etc

Gardner in for Sidwell. Looks like we are reverting to 4-4-2. Worries me a little given our nice run with the 4-5-1.
    Linky anyone??

im absolutely astonished (but delighted) that we've gone 4-4-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Sidwell dropped, Gardner starting MR with Heskey and Gabby up front.

Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

This should be interesting, really lacking midfield pace. It's sort of unusual for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Anyone have a stream?

• Advertisement

http://liveworldsports.blogspot.com/

A Knight screamer on the volley from 55 yards to open the scoring:D

heskey on his debut after a flick from gabby lol

1-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Woo nice finish from the non goalscoring striker.

Up the Villa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Great finish.

Backed Heskey to score 1st and villa to win 1-0 @ 35/1. Long wait now,feck.

• Advertisement

lol

such an effort from curtis

the link I have is awful, anyone have a decent one? cheers
    who needs Young when u have Heskey!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Iraqi goals is your daddy

http://www.iraqgoals.com/en/ch4.html