Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

How was that not a red card??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Helix wrote: »
    how was that not a red card

nothing but intent to kick gardner, shoulda probable been a red alright, good thing Pompey dont look up to much thus far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

http://my-tvfree.com/myfootball.html

password is 2500 if needed pretty good stream.

Tomthepost wrote: »
    http://my-tvfree.com/myfootball.html

password is 2500 if needed pretty good stream.
    thats what ive been using good quality although has just gone off air but im sure itl be fine for the 2nd half, plenty of options atleast with it being on sky.

edit: its already back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Heskey - 3.5m per goal
    Berbatov - 5.1m per goal

MON sure knows his bargains :P

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

we really need to get another one for sure- if we don't we're due a late equalizer against us. come one!!

Sidwell coming on, maybe switching back to the other system and the side i had expected to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

belhadj sent off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

belhadj sent off

He has been wasteful for them all night, Adams should of subbed him ages ago.

• Advertisement

great to hear the fans singing "there's only one Emile Heskey" already

LOL the villa fans singin -

There's only one Emile Heskey
    One, Emile Heskey
    He used to be sh1te
    but now he's alright
    walking in a Heskey Wonderland!

Petrov misses the FA cup replay... good timing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Joint top, sweet:D:D:D

atleast its Arsenal have to play Everton tommorow, although id prefer them playing at the same time as us and not knowing they are either 6points behind and have to win or 3 points behind and can catch us etc

Sorry BH but this looks like the silliest comment of the day right now:D:D:D

Great win, not a great performance but the defending was excellent and Heskey finished very well, go on MON sign us a top class CM and a left back and lets make this a title challenge :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Jasus that has tough viewing at the end! great result, great bonus that Petrov misses the FA Cup match- he is immense for us. LOL at the Heskey chant

Sorry BH but this looks like the silliest comment of the day right now:D:D:D

well as in now they know they really have to win and will be giving it everything, although tbh they should do that anyway.

Great to be 6 points ahead of them now tho with them playing Everton too. Great Defensive display today imo considering our RB/LB situation and Laursens absence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Come on Everton! (And Boro!)

Being negative but a draw between everton and arsenal would be for the best for us!

Just thinking also to get to the magical 70 points and thus a champions league spot we would need to win 11 of the last 15. Certainly a tough order!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Being negative but a draw between everton and arsenal would be for the best for us!

Just thinking also to get to the magical 70 points and thus a champions league spot we would need to win 11 of the last 15. Certainly a tough order!

No way, dropping enough points to give Everton a realistic chance would certainly mean Arsenal would snap 4th place anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

All hail MONs mighty Villa. Great result, it feels like i'm on drugs when i see Tony Cottee saying Villa could win the PL except for Man Utd being there.

Anyone heading over to Wigan?

DSB wrote: »
    No way, dropping enough points to give Everton a realistic chance would certainly mean Arsenal would snap 4th place anyway.

If everton win they would still think they have a chance of catching both villa and arsenal. Still worried about securing 5th spot to be honest which a couple of months ago we would have considered an excellent season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Didn't see the game, but apparently we have 1 shot on target?!? Amazing!

If everton win they would still think they have a chance of catching both villa and arsenal. Still worried about securing 5th spot to be honest which a couple of months ago we would have considered an excellent season.

ah to be fair we're 11 points ahead of everton and they play arsenal tomorrow

i wouldnt be in any huge fear of us not finishing 5th

Anyone heading over to Wigan?

aye, home game. ill be there

booked spurs tonight actually. been changed to 4pm kick off on sunday 15th march. return flights ~€50 over at midday back at 9.25

worth booking coz the flight times are nice

hopefully united win the CC and Everton then see 6th and Uefa qualification as their hope. However i dont expect Everton to win tommorow (but its possible and would be my preference) so a draw would be a great result leaving us 5 points ahead of Arsenal and 10 points ahead of Everton (how good does that sound) and in a CL spot after 23 league games.

How silly am I:eek::eek::eek:
    that would be 80 points!!!!!!!

hopefully united win the CC and Everton then see 6th and Uefa qualification as their hope. However i dont expect Everton to win tommorow (but its possible and would be my preference) so a draw would be a great result leaving us 5 points ahead of Arsenal and 10 points ahead of Everton (how good does that sound) and in a CL spot after 23 league games.

4th doesnt guarantee us champions league anyway

only 3rd gives the complete safety of being in the group stages, and not having the minor worry of arsenal winning the cl and getting in ahead of us

aye, home game. ill be there

booked spurs tonight actually. been changed to 4pm kick off on sunday 15th march. return flights ~€50 over at midday back at 9.25

worth booking coz the flight times are nice

Nice times, i got the 6.30 am and 9.30 one back to Dublin for 15E, long day but worth it. Must book Chelsea flights now that i'm at it.

tomred1 wrote: »
    Backed Heskey to score 1st and villa to win 1-0 @ 35/1. Long wait now,feck.

congratulations good sir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Drinks on tomred1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

btw the Heskey song is
    "He played for the ****e, but now he's alright" :D

Savman wrote: »
    btw the Heskey song is
    "He played for the ****e, but now he's alright" :D

There's only one Emile Heskey,
    One Emile Heskey,
    He played for the sh-ite,
    But now he's alright,
    Walking in a Heskey wonderland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Knight the clear MOTM IMO.
    How bizarre this season and team are.

JPA wrote: »
    Knight the clear MOTM IMO.
    How bizarre this season and team are.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Cuellar all the way!

"Immense!" as Martin would say...

Cuellar is the new McGrath.

Heskey is going to be truly immense for us imo. He won nearly every ball that was played near him tonight and held it up brilliantly when needed. Wait till Young is back and he has the option of threading through him, Gabby or Milner... drool...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Heskey is going to be truly immense for us imo. He won nearly every ball that was played near him tonight and held it up brilliantly when needed. Wait till Young is back and he has the option of threading through him, Gabby or Milner... drool...
    Thats what I said a month ago. Its just frightening what can happen with Heskey leading the line, you can just see goals all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Our next nine fixtures are:

Bolton (H) 3
    West Ham (A) 3+3=6
    Arsenal (H) 6+1=7
    Hull (A) 7+3=10
    West Brom (H) 10+3=13
    Sunderland (A) 13+3=16
    Portsmouth (A) 16+3=19
    Wigan (H)
    Blackburn (A)

Ten-game winning-streak, anyone? :pac:

In all seriousness though, we should be hoping for about 22 points from those 27.

Thank you, Randy Lerner. Well done, Martin O'Neill. Up the Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Knight played phenomenal tonight imo, he looked classy at the back, made some great tackles and looked very comforatble on the ball.
    Just amazing that we dealt with almost 20 corners without one causing us any trouble, not sure if thats a reflection on pompey or on us. I would love to see someone like Pennant playing in our reserves as I think a back up winger like him would do us very well.

Also might look to get the same deal as you did helix.

edit: I hope fergie never retires because I think MON is a near dead cert to be the successor if it does happen.

shoutman wrote: »
    edit: I hope fergie never retires because I think MON is a near debt cert to be the successor if it does happen.

at this point in time, would mon actually go anywhere? would there be any need for him to go anywhere? god only knows whatll happen if we keep adding players and increasing our points tally each season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I still think that he has higher ambitions (as would anyone in his position), he has no childhood alegiences to aston villa, and if the best team in england over the past decade came along saying, here you go, champions league trophies galore if you take the helm, would you turn it down to stay with an up and coming club?

Lets be honest, the real reason he came to Villa was geographical, close to his home, he didn't have to move, yes we have a stable chairman etc but as the one of the top two managers in england he could be with a club that has more current ability. If I had the power i'd make him manager for life alla utd and fergie, I don't think we could ever find a better manager then MON. And that is not because we are doing well at the moment I have always thought that, every player who has played under him has spoken of his greatnessm and he will show it now at the top level. When we play champions league football next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

First off lads, expect some more Villa are lucky jibes coming our way - Crouch's miss, Friedel saving from Utaka ( though I nearly **** meself ), them having that muppet sent off, Pompey's corner count - got loads of texts last night about how jammy we are - absolutely wrecks my head.
    Secondly, it really pisses me off listening to the MON is a certainty to be the next Man U manager, especially when it comes from the Man U fans themselves, as if we should be honoured to have him.
    He has a chairman who doesnt interfere, a team he has built himself with young talent and the chance to build a legacy. If he goes to Man U, the best he can hope for is to continue the success Fergie has had, and for me it's a lose - lose situation for anyone who replaces Taggart - continued success will be down to Ferguson's foundations and and defeat will be a clear sign " he's can't measure up " - MON isnt stupid to take it on I believe ( and hope )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

First off lads, expect some more Villa are lucky jibes coming our way - Crouch's miss, Friedel saving from Utaka ( though I nearly **** meself ), them having that muppet sent off, Pompey's corner count - got loads of texts last night about how jammy we are - absolutely wrecks my head.

Well have ye not been lucky? Believe me, having a good season requires a certain amount of luck and all the best teams get their fair share!
    Secondly, it really pisses me off listening to the MON is a certainty to be the next Man U manager, especially when it comes from the Man U fans themselves, as if we should be honoured to have him.

Ye should be, he's a great manager who has done brilliantly at Villa, don't take that for granted!
    He has a chairman who doesnt interfere, a team he has built himself with young talent and the chance to build a legacy. If he goes to Man U, the best he can hope for is to continue the success Fergie has had, and for me it's a lose - lose situation for anyone who replaces Taggart - continued success will be down to Ferguson's foundations and and defeat will be a clear sign " he's can't measure up " - MON isnt stupid to take it on I believe ( and hope )

I don't think it's guaranteed that MON will be the next United manager, but I certainly wouldn't write it off and they're bound to be interested with how well he has done (throughout his career). As for actually taking on the job, I wouldn't see it as a mistake at all, but personally I'd much see him build Villa from strength to strength than sign for United. If it costs us a Champions League spot this year, we have nobody to blame but ourselves, but I don't think Wenger expected Villa to be so good! Right now it looks like we should be trying to pass Liverpool or Chelsea rather than ye and I'd love to see ye in the Champions League!

Curiously its only ever Irish people who connect MON with the Man Utd job. This is possibly of course due to MONs Irishness and his stint at Celtic meaning his profile & stock here is rather high. MONs on a rolling contract and i believe Lerner has made noises about letting MON go only if its the England job. MON can fulfil all his ambitions at Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Any of you chaps heading over to the Spurs game in March? It's moved to the 15th for Sky, I've flights booked this morning for €48 and will be heading back to the airport after the game if anyone wants a beer before the last flight home. My round! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

For those of you who saw the game last night, was it justified to drop Sidwell and play Gardner?

Sidwell hasn't shined the way i taught he would after the start he made. He seems to go missing in games and apart from the few bursts he makes into the box, his finishing hasnt been great.

So is it to be Gardner or Sidwell next few games?

Gardner started because we played 4-4-2 and Gardner is better out wide than Sidwell as soon as we went back to 4-5-1 Sidwell came on and Gabby dropped back to the right.

Gardner actually did very well imo, he's a good honest player, he won't create a lot but he will gve an outlay and get the tackles in.

From who's fit at the moment I would like:

Friedel
    NRC----Davies--Cuellar
    L Young
    Milner
    Barry---Petrov----A Youn
    Heskey
    Gabby

But I would really like to see:

Friedel
    L Young----Davies--Cuellar
    Freddie/New Signing
    Milner
    Barry---New Signing----A Young
    Heskey
    Gabby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Curiously its only ever Irish people who connect MON with the Man Utd job. This is possibly of course due to MONs Irishness and his stint at Celtic meaning his profile & stock here is rather high. MONs on a rolling contract and i believe Lerner has made noises about letting MON go only if its the England job. MON can fulfil all his ambitions at Villa.
    I don't agree with that. Martin O'Neill gave a hint at a press conference some years back when he was joining Celtic that he was very interested in one particular job in the Premier League. He stopped short of saying what that job was but everybody believed it was the United job he was talking about. And Ferguson has praised him a number of times, in a way that was kind of saying that he would like to see MON get that United job when he goes. Its been going on for years.

However personally speaking, I think Martin O'Neill becomes very passionate about a club when he is in charge, he left Celtic due to his wife's bad health, I don't know if he would have ever left there if his wife had remained healthy.
    He came back into management when a job he fancied came up. I think he sees a huge challenge at Villa now, I think he wants not only to break the top four, but win a title at Villa. Remember when he joined, he swore he'd bring success back to Villa. He is on the road, and he can carve his own place in history at Villa, if he took the United job now, he could never be anything more than just another manager after the success that Ferguson has had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Listen, none of us can figure out little old Martin and what must go on inside that head of his. We can only go by his past record, and that suggests he will see out 4-5yrs at Villa. Of course he'll move on eventually, and when he does it will be the saddest day in the (new) history of AVFC.

Until then though...there's only ooooone Emile Heskey :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement