Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You have to give it to the guy though. The two players Villa fans have been most unhappy about in recent times.
    Going back a bit it was Petrov and all you can say about him now is WOW!
    More recently its been Zat Knight and his last few games have been very good and then there was last night, eh Laursenesque would be my description.
    So up next for Martin 'Houdini' O'Neill is Nicky Shorey I'd imagine.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Yes Shorey and Sidwell next methinks. Not forgetting Milner who looked world frickin' class lately after getting his fair share of stick.

Anybody like to discuss miss a la Gabby? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Savman wrote: »
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Maybe i believe the hype but i think MON is in for the long term at Villa simply because he has everything at his disposal to create what he wants and until he believes he can do all he can do with Villa he'll leave just like he did with Wycombe, Foxes and Celtic. So yeah Eagle Eye i'd agree when you say that MON thinks he can realise his personal ambitions in football with Villa. If he has a mystical allure towards the MU job then we can't do much about that but MON strikes me as a practical man in the classic Clough tradition.

(I'm going OT on this but people assume SAF will have some say in appointing a new manager and that MON may be his choice. To this i say 1) MU the company and its owners will surely appoint someone who has leagues & CL trophies as a minimum requirement as is their level & 2) SAF is chummy with a lot of managers, most notably David Moyes so if he does have a say its hardly likely he'll say MON whom he has never worked with.)

Savman wrote: »
    Yes Shorey and Sidwell next methinks. Not forgetting Milner who looked world frickin' class lately after getting his fair share of stick.

Should have squared it to Heskey. Gabby blows hot and cold seemingly, i do subscribe to the school of thought that there should be another striker bought in but at least the Heskey/Gabby partnership looks promising.

Not sure on Sidwell, injuries and lack of game time aside, perhaps him and Shorey just aint up to much and still living off glories of Readings fluke season a few years ago? I think MON should buy J. Moutinho in the summer time just in case:cool:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Our team don't seem to want the ball. It's annoying and then we win so...

JPA wrote: »

I see what you're getting at JPA. no point getting too carried away with the result as Pompey are a very poor team these days, but factor in Youngs absence, Milner played well but without Ashs ability to win/get the ball in Villas 1/3 and run the whole length of the pitch time after time Villa were always going to struggle for possesion, specially when the home team are chasing the game.

Basically what i'm trying to say we miss Ash and against a better team last night Villa would have been caught out. Thankfully Wigan have also lost a clutch of decent players so lets hope Villa jam another win on Sat, although due to lose sometime, its what 11 PL games unbeaten?

Amazing how 3 little points papers over so many cracks eh ;)

I'm not going to bitch or anything coz everything is going brilliant but the possession stats are always 60-40 against at least.
    I know the team love to counter-attack but I also think we could play more possession football as our midfield is actually quite good.

Anyway I don't want an argument to form over this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Esse85 wrote: »
    For those of you who saw the game last night, was it justified to drop Sidwell and play Gardner?

Sidwell hasn't shined the way i taught he would after the start he made. He seems to go missing in games and apart from the few bursts he makes into the box, his finishing hasnt been great.

So is it to be Gardner or Sidwell next few games?

Me and my mate (United fan) were watching your game last night.
    We actually commented on how anonymous Gardner was. We completely forgot he was even on the pitch in the first half.
    I'd say you's should stick with Sidwell, great player.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Me and my mate (United fan) were watching your game last night.
    We actually commented on how anonymous Gardner was. We completely forgot he was even on the pitch in the first half.
    I'd say you's should stick with Sidwell, great player.

Sidwell is mostly a CM, Gardner was playing out on the right flank just as cover while A Young is suspended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Villain wrote: »
    Sidwell is mostly a CM, Gardner was playing out on the right flank just as cover while A Young is suspended.

Aye but your system has worked so well for you so far to adapt would just meam:

Heskey
    Milner
    Gabby
    Barry
    Petrov
    Sidwell

Although tbh, as an Arsenal fan, I'll be happier the more Gardner plays :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

[QUOTE=Frisbee;5879013
    We actually commented on how anonymous Gardner was. We completely forgot he was even on the pitch in the first half.[/QUOTE]

i thought he was our best player in the first half

Frisbee wrote: »
    Aye but your system has worked so well for you so far to adapt would just meam:

Heskey
    Milner
    Gabby
    Barry
    Petrov
    Sidwell

Although tbh, as an Arsenal fan, I'll be happier the more Gardner plays :)

The one up top system only works well imo when you have a striker with real pace up top as we play counter attack football.

I actually thought Gardner was very good he tackled well.

Gardner is more industrious than flair tbh, and IMHO he won the battle with that scumbag he was marking.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

The one thing I keep thinking before Villa match's is that, "we have to play better then the last match" not happening IMO, so I'll be thinking the same come Sat- if we can play like we did against Arsenal a bit more 4rth is ours, its just not happening enough, 1 shot on target last night!! FFS it has to improve, this is my main concern. As stated in one of the posts- 3points are covering up the obv cracks. I'm looking for a really big performance against Wigan on Sat with plenty of chances going our way. Don't get me wrong I'd take 1-0 all the way through but we need to up our game big time!! I suppose it shows our quality i.e. playing average and grinding out results is smashing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

.get-attachment.asp?action=view&attachmentid=8023

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Booked my flights for the spurs game. Heading over with my girlfriend, but still up for a few pints with whoever is heading over.

Reckon I'll be cheering for Everton in the Scouse derby replay, don't fancy 2 trips to Anfield tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

great goal by heskey last night. think gardner had a great game. whens carew back in action. hope he be banging in the goals for the moskow gmae. anyone heading over to it. aim staying in the paragon hotel. should be fun. hope we get a good win on sat. any of u going the dubs game.
    I think murrays are showing the villa gmae sat in o'connell st if any one is up for a few pints sat evening

villains77 wrote: »
    great goal by heskey last night. think gardner had a great game. whens carew back in action. hope he be banging in the goals for the moskow gmae. anyone heading over to it. aim staying in the paragon hotel. should be fun. hope we get a good win on sat. any of u going the dubs game.
    I think murrays are showing the villa gmae sat in o'connell st if any one is up for a few pints sat evening

I stayed there before. Bit dodgy but I think it's been done up.
    Also quite far from the ground.

ill be at the moscow game in villa park myself

never bother getting a hotel for european games tho. a couple of books and a supply of coffee and rockstar energy drinks keeps you going til the 8am flight

Helix wrote: »
    ill be at the moscow game in villa park myself

never bother getting a hotel for european games tho. a couple of books and a supply of coffee and rockstar energy drinks keeps you going til the 8am flight
    :eek::eek::eek:

sounds worse than it is, but its grand

sounds worse than it is, but its grand
    Travelodge do saver rooms @ £30, that'll do me...

Hoping to get to CSKA, Spurs and maybe the last day of the season @ VP against Newcastle....y'know, celebrate (touches wood). :pac:

• Advertisement

dont think ill be making the final day

dont really do the whole staying over thing, and the flights are rubbish times that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Come on Everton!

Arsenal behind, let's hope it stays that way :D

*cough*
    Meeeeedooooooooo :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Gettin Mido. :)

You have to feel for pool fans with that tit in charge.

god damn RVP still 4th place with 47pts now which is 10pts ahead of Everton 5pts ahead of Arsenal and only 1pt behind Liverpool with everyone having 15 games left... very nice :D

• Advertisement

god damn RVP still 4th place with 47pts now which is 10pts ahead of Everton 4pts ahead of Arsenal and only 1pt behind Liverpool with everyone having 15 games left... very nice :D

5pts actually.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

G wrote: »

Those fans have the manager they deserve. A club in crisis, hope they get top four though, to ensure Benitez gets yet another season to f*ck them up. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

It'd be 5 ahead of Arsenal.

DSB wrote: »
    It'd be 5 ahead of Arsenal.
    Will have to suffice I shpose :pac:

5pts actually.:)

knew someone would quote that before i had edited it...so close:o

good times for Villa our next game is going to be huge for each next game we have now (cept Doncaster0

yup

every game is absolutely huge for us now

lets just hope the teams around us keep drawing with each other when they play

yup

every game is absolutely huge for us now

lets just hope the teams around us keep drawing with each other when they play

Liverpool vs Chelsea next weekend

yup, 1-1 there sees us go clear in second if we can do wigan

time for this again:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58346964&postcount=17

lol

ill never get tired of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

Draw is good result for us. Everton are in form at the moment and we could do with them dropping a couple of points aswell as the Gunners. With the Pool dropping two points I think the night couldn't have been much better. Chelsea picked up the pace though.

Even still, 1 point behind both Liverpool and Chelsea (although the goal diference doesn't help). We're a step closer to Champions League. But as a previous poster said, the next match we play will always be a big one as long as we're in 4th place.

• Advertisement

Look at our fixtures: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/fixtures/default.stm

Then look at Arsenals: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/fixtures/default.stm

Take note of the key last 6 league games for each of us.

4th at least will happen lads. I hope.

less of the 4th talk

you dont look down, you look up

simple as that

less of the 4th talk

you dont look down, you look up

simple as that

I said at least you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thats a huge two days for Villa. Laursen out for another eight weeks, Ashley Young suspended for 3 games, Emile Heskey scores on debut to secure the 3 points, Zat Knight looks like the best Centre half on the planet, and Everton and Arsenal draw, Liverpool draw.

I don't think you could be hoping for much more, Chelski and Utd obviously but if you can separate from Arsenal and Everton thats what is important this year.

i think id explode with orgasmic joy if we finished ahead of the scouse this year

in fact i think id be the most unbearable cùnt on the planet if we managed it, purely coz of the shyte we had to listen to from them last summer

wonder if stevie g would be interested in joining us...

G wrote: »

ssshhh, the truth is like a dagger in their keyboards.

One game at a time for me still way too early to even dream although i want to, Wigan did better tonight then i expected, don't know if Valencia started but Wigan w/out Heskey & Palacios should have been cannon fodder tonight. Hopefully now there won't be a sting in the tale on Saturday.

i wouldnt expect wigan on sat to be easy, i just think we might have enough in the tank for them

plus the curse of the ex player is due to hit a club that isnt us, so heskey to have a blinder and score/set one up

My inclination is that the Wigan game will be a draw whose with me:D!

Boro & Fulham at home earlier in the season still scars my memory.

• Advertisement

Look at our fixtures: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/fixtures/default.stm

Then look at Arsenals: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/fixtures/default.stm

Take note of the key last 6 league games for each of us.

if we are ahead or level with them going into the final 3 games then we should do it, but still 1 game at a time and all that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement