Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Not so sure it's off.

Dust still has to settle but Arsenal seem to be saying it's done, medical is passed etc and for some reason Zenit are the only ones confusing the issue.

SSN said they just spoke to an agent involved in the deal who said everything was faxed to PL well before the deadline and that Arsenal were of the understanding the deal was done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

well with this transfer window im looking at Villa in comparison to those around us:

Arsenal: Seems like have signed nobody and sold nobody
    Liverpool: signed nobody, sold Keane
    Everton: Signed Just Jo on loan, sold nobody
    Chelsea: signed nobody, Sold W.Bridge, Cudicini

Aston Villa: Signed Heskey and sold nobody

(not considering players that will have no impact this season i.e young players and most loans out etc)

despite only one signing our transfers seem the best out of that bench, especially when you consider it means we now have a quality attacking option on the bench and more alternatives in that aspect on the pitch as a result of the move.

*obviously Arshavin could change things a bit (again atleast it would mean Villa adressed their weakness while Arsenal didnt i.e DM) but still not all that bad a window really all things considerd despite minimal spending from Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Pretty disappointed that only Heskey has been brought in, obviously it is only January, but can't help but remember how things went from January last year. An injury to Young, Milner or another defender would be disastrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

well with this transfer window im looking at Villa in comparison to those around us:

Arsenal: Seems like have signed nobody and sold nobody
    Liverpool: signed nobody, sold Keane
    Everton: Signed Just Jo on loan, sold nobody
    Chelsea: signed nobody, Sold W.Bridge, Cudicini

Aston Villa: Signed Heskey and sold nobody

(not considering players that will have no impact this season i.e young players and most loans out etc)

despite only one signing our transfers seem the best out of that bench, especially when you consider it means we now have a quality attacking option on the bench and more alternatives in that aspect on the pitch as a result of the move.

*obviously Arshavin could change things a bit (again atleast it would mean Villa adressed their weakness while Arsenal didnt i.e DM) but still not all that bad a window really all things considerd despite minimal spending from Villa.

Chelsea signed Quaresma (on loan). I think he'll be a big improvement on Malouda/Kalou.

Chelsea signed Quaresma (on loan). I think he'll be a big improvement on Malouda/Kalou.

yup and id agree, plus Arshavin looks like he has signed once everyone is back working at the FA tommorow, i knew id posted too early even with the delay to the already delayed window having passes more transfers that had been done were being announced

• Advertisement

yup and id agree, plus Arshavin looks like he has signed once everyone is back working at the FA tommorow, i knew id posted too early even with the delay to the already delayed window having passes more transfers that had been done were being announced

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be revealed that we signed Kaka once the dust settles!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

For their Arshavin Villa have Heskey. Villa are 5pts clear at the start of February, plenty players to come back soon who'll be like new signings. 7 out of 9 since Ash was sent off. 1 game at a time.

Doncaster then? cancelled surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

if its cancelled itll be because of issues for people getting to and from the ground, it wont be cancelled because of the surface at villa park

id be amazed if we postponed it regardless of the weather tbh. we dont need a pileup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

according to the Arsenal thread the deal was not done by 5pm although personal terms and a fee had been agreed and now Zenith are making a 7pm statement but afaik Arshavin has been in London all day so they cant blame the snow and cant push through the deal late so....its off

Apparently a lot of Arsenal staff couldn't make it into work because of the snow and had to work from home...if this is true, then it could mean that any deal may have been held up by the snow!

Gareth Barry has suggested he has repaired his relationship with Martin O'Neill following their acrimonious fallout last summer, when the midfielder publicly criticised the Aston Villa manager and pleaded for the chance to join Liverpool. His actions at the time deeply upset and angered O'Neill but it is a measure of how relations between manager and player have since improved that Barry now feels as though the dispute was "a few years ago".

Although the 27-year-old was frustrated to be denied the opportunity to play Champions League football this season, he insists he never considered following the examples of other players in a similar position, who have made it impossible for their clubs to keep them by being a disruptive influence. Barry claimed he had "too much respect" for O'Neill and Villa to do likewise in the wake of his move to Liverpool collapsing and also added that he was keen to protect his own reputation.

"It seems a few years ago now," said Barry, reflecting on last summer's events, when Liverpool failed to meet Villa's £18m asking price. "I said straight away that we are both professional people who want the best this season for Villa. The relationship is very good. It can go through your head what others have done to get away from a club and it was just not the reputation I would have wanted. It never went through my head to go through that. I've got too much respect for the club, for the manager and I am just getting on with [football at] the club."

Barry, who may be one of several senior players rested when Villa host Doncaster in their FA Cup fourth-round replay tomorrow night, produced one of his best performances of the season during the goalless draw against Wigan on Saturday and admitted afterwards that he has taken encouragement from leading the side again in the absence of the injured Martin Laursen. "Everyone knows I enjoy captaining Villa," said Barry, who was stripped of the honour in the summer. "I've always looked forward to doing it and it does give you that extra lift. It can raise your game."

Whether Barry's "very good" relationship with O'Neill can lead to new contract talks taking place remains to be seen. O'Neill has previously indicated that he will seek to revisit Barry's position in the summer – he has less than 18 months remaining on his current deal – but his hopes of retaining the England international would appear to be strengthened by Villa's pursuit of a Champions League place as well as the player's decision to sever his ties with his long-term agent, Alex Black.

Barry, who has since asked Michael Standing, his former Brighton and Villa team-mate and close friend, to represent him, believes that he has a genuine chance of winning silverware this year. He is the sole survivor from the Villa side that suffered defeat to Chelsea in the 2000 FA Cup final and, while he never imagined so much time would pass without another opportunity to claim a winner's medal, he is optimistic success is on the horizon.

"When something like that [FA Cup final] comes so early in your career, you are hoping you are going to get those chances regularly," said Barry. "It hasn't happened but that was a great day out for myself and my family and the club. It is certainly something you want to get back to again. If you look at the Uefa Cup and FA Cup, we will treat them on a par. There is a good chance with both. We fancy we can go far."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/feb/03/gareth-barry-martin-oneill-aston-villa

GB looking for a new contract. Sign him up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I read that Zoltan Stieber has left Villa to join German second division side TuS Koblenz.

Pity, from what I heard he was a promising young player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Villain wrote: »
    Straight red so he will get 2 games if it isn't overturned but I expect it to be overturned

As I expected it was overturned

Raekwon wrote: »
    I read that Zoltan Stieber has left Villa to join German second division side TuS Koblenz.

Pity, from what I heard he was a promising young player.

is he not just going on loan? surprised Villa would let him go as like yourself ive heard good things remember him getting a hattrick for the reserves or youth team (cant remember which) when being played out of position at LWB.

yup Lampard is available to face us again and they should have Quasrema in the squad now too, itl be tough but tbh every game from now on is going to be huge. I expect half the first team to be rested vs Doncaster, but itl be nice to have Young back and he will get a run out for def to get him ready for Chelsea.

Beating Chelsea would be the biggest boost possible it would put Chelsea right in the middle of the race between Villa and Arsenal ( Everton ?), a race would be leading and only have to finish runner up in to get CL football.

Apparently Petrov is suspended for the Doncaster game after picking up his 5th yellow. Perfect timing really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Is the match tonight on the telly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

......................Guzan

Cuellar...Davies(C)...Knight...Shorey

Milner.....Gardner...Sidwell...A.Young

.............Heskey...The Fonz...........

Subs: Heskey & The Fonz off
    Carew & The Hare given 20mins

Milner rested for the last 20mins for Salifou/Osbourne and Gardner moves to RM, if we are struggling Barry could come on instead.

Rested: Friedel, L.Young, Petrov (suspended), Barry, Gabby

don't think Heskey can play tonight as he wasn't signed in time for 3rd round? i'm open to correction on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

don't think Heskey can play tonight as he wasn't signed in time for 3rd round? i'm open to correction on that one.

Correct - the player has to be registered ahead of the first game in the tie / round. Otherwise Doncaster could play about 3 of their recent signings.

I think your actually right in which case id actually start the Hare, Gabby needs the rest, Carew shouldent start and when else this season are The Hare and The Fonz going to get a chance.

• Advertisement

Any word on NRC? meant to be back for Blackburn on Sat but he might get minutes tonight if he's able?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Any word on NRC? meant to be back for Blackburn on Sat but he might get minutes tonight if he's able?.

This is the only report on him I've seen
    Villa utility player Nigel Reo-Coker has returned to training after missing the last two games with a hamstring injury and could make the weekend Barclays Premier League clash at Blackburn.

O'Neill confirmed: "If Nigel gets in a full week's training, he could put himself forward for the Blackburn game."

cant see NRC involved tonight, he will most likely be on the bench on Saturday which means we'd have a decent bench for a change with people like Sidwell, Carew and Nige on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

VILLA: Guzan; L Young, Davies, Cuellar, Shorey; A Young (c), Sidwell, Salifou, Gardner, Carew, Delfouneso. Subs: Barry, Milner, Agbonlahor, Knight, Osbourne, Lowry, Friedel.

If anyone finds a link post it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Its going to be very hard to find anywhere thats showing it. I will be so happy if there is!

Guzan; L Young, Davies, Cuellar, Shorey; A Young (c), Sidwell, Salifou, Gardner, Carew, Delfouneso

didnt expect Young to be captain tonight, Luke Young should relish playing RB again and itsgood to see Carew is considerd fit enough to start also.

1-0

sidwell

1-0 to the Villa,

Neil Sullivan saves Craig Gardner's shot but can only push the ball into the path of Steve Sidwell, who slots in his fourth goal for Villa

www.bbc.co.uk

• Advertisement

2-0

carew

2-0, carew!

nice 2-0 already maybe we can even get another to let us rest the normal starting players that are playing tonight (Luke Young) or the non 100% fit players (Carew) by bringing on subs in the second half.

no streams then i guess?

just ahead of me Helix!

lets hope the fonz can net a few

Helix wrote: »
    lets hope the fonz can net a few

yeah id like to see the Fonz shine tonight, otherwise he might find first team opportunitys very limited from this game on this season, as Villa only have big games left.

• Advertisement

Here's a radio link http://www.justin.tv/peter003

matrim wrote: »
    Here's a radio link http://www.justin.tv/peter003

dont like how they keep mentioning young limping, hes made of strong stuff so should be okay but an injury would be the worst thing that could happen in this game now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Bugger. 2-1

2-1 dang

fonzo....3-1!

• Advertisement

nice The Fonz 3-1 happy 18th bday young lad!

3-1
    The Fonz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Good man Nathan :)

for me his age kinda counters the slighly lower standard of team hes played against but so far his goals to games ratio is certainly looking good atm, like I said before when people suggested we needed to sign 2 strikers, he can be the reason we dont need to.
    get-attachment.asp?action=view&attachmentid=8095

scored every time hes started innit?

i think its 3 in 4 starts and 2 sub appearances could be wrong tho. this might be the first time he plays the full 90 too as Carew is more likely to be subbed due to lack of fitness

edit: Young subbed off for Osbourne

oh aye didnt he start in the 3rd round of the cup

Helix wrote: »
    oh aye didnt he start in the 3rd round of the cup

think so, I remember 1 game where he started and didnt score still great start from someone we are really only easing into the first team squad.

Hopefully Everton - Liverpool goes to extra time, so they are both tired for the weekend

Carew got the full 90mins. Heskey will still start the next match but nice to know big John is 100% match fit

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement