Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

got the mail there, €326 at the current exchange rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Helix wrote: »
    got the mail there, €326 at the current exchange rate

That's a great price to watch Villa, do you have decent seats?

yup, north stand lower

4 rows from the top, grand oul view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

yup, north stand lower

4 rows from the top, grand oul view

Nice one, did it take long to actually get a season ticket?

nope

no waiting list as such

just stuck my name down and when the renewals were done they offered me my seat. easy peasy

itll be easy to get one for next season too, lot of people in the midlands being hit hard by the financial climate. the north stand lower will sell out in a flash tho, i doubt any first timers would have a hope of getting any seats there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

the north stand lower will sell out in a flash tho, i doubt any first timers would have a hope of getting any seats there

Correct, the price is being listed as "N/A". That said, £340 (€21 per game) for Upper North or £405 (€25 per game) for Lower Holte is fairly great value.

If I had a job guaranteed for next year I'd definitely be getting myself one. Damn recession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Benitez is insisting Villa are part of the title hunt... The cynic in me feels this could be mind games. If he's still interested in Barry, he might be setting up a scenario whereby a CL spot (which would be an immense achievement, in actuality) would be seen as a failure for Villa relative to us potentially being title contenders... I dunno, just me?

ill be in canada for next season, so if none of my mates are interested, ill be able to rent a season ticket to someone for an exceptionally reasonable price

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Benitez is insisting Villa are part of the title hunt... The cynic in me feels this could be mind games. If he's still interested in Barry, he might be setting up a scenario whereby a CL spot (which would be an immense achievement, in actuality) would be seen as a failure for Villa relative to us potentially being title contenders... I dunno, just me?

nah hes jsut saying that in case we finish ahead of them

its nice and simple

we finish ahead of liverpool and its "well ive been saying all along, they were in the title race. we never underestimated them" etc etc

they finish ahead of us and its "well look how we finished ahead of aston villa, who were real title contenders"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was just talking to my brother this morning about this subject, he is not a forum member and doesn't read this but he is a life long Villa van and he said to me originally that he just hoped they make the CL, but then we were discussing last weeks Blackburn game and he says that he thought we were a better team until last weekend. Its only when I reminded him that we had not lost a game under Big Sam up until then, that he started to think about the reality of the situation.

You guys better wake up and smell the coffee, its about time you started to believe that you can actually win the whole damn thing. You made us(Blackburn) look horrendous and we are not that bad of a side. This was down to your football and not a terribly bad performance by us.

Anyways my brother who never gets carried away started thinking this way after our discussion this morning. I think the Heskey was so smart because it invariably means that you can continue in the same vein for the rest of the season and not have to worry about losing either Heskey or Carew for a couple of games. While the Villa panel is still small, incredibly you seem to have adequate cover for every position on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Surely the Fonz is deserving to start in the cup?, yes its a PL team but he's shown he can score in the cups and if MON has him on for an hour but doesn't sparkle he can bring on Gabby, incidentally where did it all begin in top flight football for Mr G. Agbonlahor?

That would be Goodison park, I was there myself that day :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

local source
    According to the Croydon Advertiser Crystal Palace are eying a loan move for Villa's young striker star Nathan Delfouneso.

In an exclusive report they quote Eagles manager Neil Warnock a man never short of a few words (!) saying:

'Delfouneso is one of the players on our list, but that's all it is at the moment. Of course it all depends on whether the club will let the player go.'

Speaking about another club's player Neil? Naughty naughty. I can just imagine the stink he'd make if someone did that about one of his squad!

With the arrival of Emile Heskey and the return to fitness of John Carew maybe a loan spell for the Fonz wouldn't be a bad thing, it would at least get him some regular first team experience. What do you reckon? Will Martin O'Neill be tempted?
    get-attachment.asp?action=view&attachmentid=442

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

eagle eye wrote: »
    You guys better wake up and smell the coffee, its about time you started to believe that you can actually win the whole damn thing.

Nah, we'd be just like Liverpool fans then!

Seriously, we haven't a hope in hell of beating United. I don't think anyone will beat United. I think for most Villa fans CL football would be beyond our wildest dreams. For O'Neill to achieve that after just 3 years with Villa would be incredible. Fingers are firmly crossed.

I honestly don't really care what happens in the cup today, once there's no injuries, and it's not a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Nah, we'd be just like Liverpool fans then!

Seriously, we haven't a hope in hell of beating United. I don't think anyone will beat United. I think for most Villa fans CL football would be beyond our wildest dreams. For O'Neill to achieve that after just 3 years with Villa would be incredible. Fingers are firmly crossed.

I honestly don't really care what happens in the cup today, once there's no injuries, and it's not a draw.

Just so you know, the match is on sunday, not today, at 2:30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

JPA wrote: »
    Just so you know, the match is on sunday, not today, at 2:30.

Cheers. Won't see it either way as I'm n Oz. Seeing very little of the Villa at the minute which is frustrating. Will hopefully see the Chelsea game next weekend.

Also spotted this. Apparently Heskey wasn't fully fit but was still played against Spain. Martin isn't a happy camper, obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

You guys better wake up and smell the coffee, its about time you started to believe that you can actually win the whole damn thing. .

Thanks but in reality. Man U will be 8pts ahead of us by next Saturday and we still have to go there. I can't see us win 3 more games than they do in the next 14 ( ? ) games.

Thanks but in reality. Man U will be 8pts ahead of us by next Saturday and we still have to go there. I can't see us win 3 more games than they do in the next 14 ( ? ) games.
    I honestly believe that Liverpool will beat them at Old Trafford. That means you guys can go there and gain 3 points with a win. Now that would be a huge chunk gone out of that lead.
    Do you believe that is possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Famous last words but I can see this Villa team getting results against Pool & Chelsea, but beating Utd @ OT is still a step beyond this team, although the Villa attack versus the Utd defence could be a great spectacle to see.

On Everton tomorrow, presume MON will take a sensible approach to team selection, one or two regulars perhaps rested/suspended allowing Fonz/Sidders and perhaps Shorey to start.

Ash to silence Goodison again

Best Villa moment of the season for me (SO FAR)

It's hard for me to not mind if Villa go out of the cups.
    It's unnatural. I would love for us to make an impact in the UEFA cup.
    I just have a feeling that we could batter CSKA if we put our full team.

But it's definitely 3rd on the priority list for MON that seems obvious.

That Everton game was amazing. I wish I hadn't been watching it alone on a crappy stream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Hopefully bouma will get a place on the bench and possibly a quick run out at the everton game although it still may be a bit soon for him.

Other than that I'd like to see carew, shorey and the fonz get games and a few others rested.

• Advertisement

I know because we're Irish we are not supposed to care about the FA Cup but the symbolism behind winning it would be huge, at least to Villa fans. Not only would it more then make up for the disaster in 2000 but it would make Villa a Cup team again, my GrandFather told me when i was a kid how Villa were always known as a cup team, but its been too long for Villa, i'd take it over the UEFA Cup any day of the week, we can win the UEFA Cup if we get knocked out of the CL early next year:p.

I would personally favour the UEFA cup over the FA cup.
    Winning that would elevate us across Europe.
    It's just a much bigger prize IMO. And arguably easier to win.

I beg to differ on the easier to win option, having to go Moscow in this round and potentially to Donetsk in the next round whilst maintaining the fight in the PL & FA Cup could drain the squad, against that we are potentially 3 games from Wembley.

I think MON will play it smart on his team selections for tomorrow and Wednesday, but i would guess he too would favour the FA Cup if he had to choose?.

In terms of Villa's progression the priority needs to be:

1. Finish in top 4
    2. Uefa Cup
    3. FA Cup

Finish in the top 4 brings CL revenue and the ability to attract a high calibre of player. A run in the Uefa cup will bolster this by spreading our awareness around Europe. The FA cup can wait as far as I'm concerned.

I honestly believe that Liverpool will beat them at Old Trafford. That means you guys can go there and gain 3 points with a win. Now that would be a huge chunk gone out of that lead.
    Do you believe that is possible?

i struggle to see liverpool beat anyone, i believe they are one dimensional and though I don't believe Man u are as good as they appear to be, they are streets ahead of the pool.

Famous last words but I can see this Villa team getting results against Pool & Chelsea, but beating Utd @ OT is still a step beyond this team, although the Villa attack versus the Utd defence could be a great spectacle to see.

On Everton tomorrow, presume MON will take a sensible approach to team selection, one or two regulars perhaps rested/suspended allowing Fonz/Sidders and perhaps Shorey to start.

Ash to silence Goodison again

Best Villa moment of the season for me (SO FAR)

i was at it - sensational - just a pity i was in with the toffees ;)

as for the cups, UEFA just doesn't appeal to me at all - and it sounds like the crowds don't either - on the website they are trying all sorts of incentives to get the ground full, free flags etc - it's the very poor relation of the Champs League and the travelling just doesnt seem worth it imo

Freddy Bouma aims to play 90 minutes on Monday for our reserves against Arsenal.

The Dutch international is hoping to step up his fitness and continue his recovery from a dislocated ankle with a regular run in the reserves, and the physios are content to let him start that run at Hinckley.

Speaking to the E&S, O'Neill said:

"We`ve got a game on Monday night against Arsenal in the reserves and he`s hoping he could complete the 90 minutes, which he hasn`t been able to do so far.

"He`s doing fine. Physically he`s getting stronger which is great."

There is no timescale for a return to the first team, but as long as he doesn't suffer any setbacks during his spell in the reserves, I guess Freddy would be expected to be in contention by at least the end of March.

i struggle to see liverpool beat anyone, i believe they are one dimensional and though I don't believe Man u are as good as they appear to be, they are streets ahead of the pool.
    Most of Liverpool's problems surface imo when they play the teams that are looking for a point and playing ten men behind the ball. Their results have always been better against better teams. They thoroughly deserved to beat United already this season and they comprehensively beat Chelsea.

MARTIN O’Neill has told Neil Warnock that there’s “not a prayer” of Crystal Palace taking teenage strike sensation Nathan Delfouneso on loan.

In a blunt message to his Palace counterpart, O’Neill warned that none of his players will be allowed out while Villa are still challenging on three fronts.

And O’Neill blasted Warnock for revealing his interest in 18-year-old Brummie hotshot Delfouneso through the press rather than contacting Villa directly.

“What chance has he got of taking him on loan? Not a prayer. I’m sure he would like him,” said O’Neill.

“I’m delighted he told the papers instead of me!

“Funnily enough I didn’t know anything about that so that’s news to me. Next season I expect Nathan to be a fully paid up member of the first team.

“Is there a message to send back to Neil? Yes, and it would be short and sharp.”

O’Neill revealed he has also rejected loan approaches for other Villa players with his team riding high in the Premiership and in UEFA and FA Cup contention.

“A couple of other clubs have come in indirectly and one particularly directly, but I can’t

Is the match on any TV channels today?

• Advertisement

matrim wrote: »
    Is the match on any TV channels today?

Setanta Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Yep Setanta Ireland, 2 o clock.

Team according to SSN

Friedal/Young/Gardner/Davies/Knight/Sidwell/Petrov/Young/Milner/Carew/Agbonlahor

Team according to SSN

Friedal/Young/Gardner/Davies/Knight/Sidwell/Petrov/Young/Milner/Carew/Agbonlahor

Strongest team possible. Lets hope Sidwell is up to being Barrys replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

We havn't seen any of carew yet...lets hope he gets into the game. Here is me hoping for a 3-2 win to villa, with carew and young scoring the next goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I pray for help every time Gardiner is on the pitch, just don't rate him at all. Young has looked good.

Thought Gardners been ok myself, nice flick by Carew there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

More worried about the performance than the result tbh, absolutely awful.

Size of squad showing today, minus Barry/Laursen/NRC/Heskey/Cuellar/Bouma and with Carew just returning and Gardner at RB Villa were always gonna struggle today.

Another anonymous performance from Sidwell today. I'm aware of his late return to fitness this season, but does this mean he is a write off for the rest of the season?.

Credit to Everton they deserved their victory. Ash & Gabby kept at bay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Good performance from Everton and well deserved.

At least Barry will be back next week against Chelsea, really need to get at least a point against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Good performance from Everton and well deserved.

Fair play to you , hopefully we can go all the way now. If we can avoid Man utd for at least one more round id be more than happy.

would be great to see everton winning it

I'll also tip my hat, fair play to Everton on a deserved victory and the very best of luck for the rest of the cup.

Agree fair play to everton. The were the better team on the day.

We had some decent play for a while but our strikers weren't firing today and our defense didn't play well (partly because the everton strikers battled really well)

Hopefully they can keep it going in the cup.

Hopefully Davies knock won't keep him out of a game or training. The fact that he was able to finish the game looks good.

Fair play to you , hopefully we can go all the way now. If we can avoid Man utd for at least one more round id be more than happy.

lol you sond like a Villa fan, once we dont get United again in the cup i dont mind. Think that (Villa's last FA cup outings, and my recent lack of feeling towards the cup as a result) might actually be the reason that i might not actually have rated as that much of a priority. Like i said id have prefered a loss to a replay and Everton deserved their victory today.

Now its the League and Europe for us (in that order of importance), and CSKA up next at home.

• Advertisement

Davies seemed to injure his arm or shoulder or something so if it's not ok he may still be able to play and carry the injury.

both the lads at the back were pants today

very surprised with how bad davies was

They've been shepharded by a 5 man midfield most of ths season, need to step up their game in a 442.

the game on wednesday should be interesting. id expect gabby and heskey to start up top, carew looked miles off the pace today. with barry back we can drop sidwell whos really lacking in confidence at the minute and hopefully win by a couple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's probably for the best for Villa I think. Although there's no way MON would have thought that before hand, I think just focusing on the league is the best thing for them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement