Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I never paid attention in History class so the innuendo is lost on me there bud :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Savman wrote: »
    I never paid attention in History class so the innuendo is lost on me there bud :confused:

Germany underestimated how tough it would be away in Russia and decided to have a two front war and invaded france also. They lost the war in Russia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I'm sorry Savman i liked history:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Germany underestimated how tough it would be away in Russia and decided to have a two front war and invaded france also. They lost the war in Russia

Too bad we didn't draw Marseille...

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Hahahaha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

in fairness, our main problem for this match is the midfield. Sidwell is good but off form and osborne isn't good enough to marshall the midfield as a dm should, and gardner isn't a dm. If we take a chance with a couple of the younger players like bannon (sp?) we might just make it through.

Gardner is probably the closest thing we'd have to a commanding DM going to moscow. Maybe him and Sidwell in the middle, with Bannon and Salifou on the flanks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Update on Bouma (apologies if it's been already posted):
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/7906243.stm
    Bouma closes in on Villa comeback

Aston Villa defender Wilfred Bouma is close to making a return for the club after a six-month lay-off.

The 30-year-old has pencilled in a reserve-team clash with Chelsea on 2 March to make his comeback.

He had originally planned to turn out for the second string against Arsenal on 16 February, but withdrew on the morning of the game with a sore leg.

The Netherlands international dislocated his ankle in July's 1-0 Intertoto Cup win over Odense.

Manager Martin O'Neill confirmed that Bouma will miss out on Thursday's Uefa Cup second leg against CSKA Moscow as he eases back into action.

In Bouma's absence, Nicky Shorey, Luke Young and Carlos Cuellar have deputised in the left-back slot as Villa have launched a sustained challenge for a Champions League spot.

There will be more reorganisation to be done ahead of Thursday's visit to Luzhniki Stadium, as Cuellar and Nigel Reo-Coker are both ruled out for with hamstring problems.

The tie is finely poised after John Carew's header cancelled out Wagner Love's solo effort at Villa Park to level the scores at 1-1 heading into the second match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

MON is like Hitler, but smarter.

MartinONeillPA0708_450x300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Gardner is probably the closest thing we'd have to a commanding DM going to moscow. Maybe him and Sidwell in the middle, with Bannon and Salifou on the flanks?

Gardner and Sidwell, isn't a bad midfield but maybe a bit lightweight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

very poor midfield imo, id really like to get a look at this bannan kid, all ive seen of him was in that group game earlier and he didnt put a foot wrong and looked to have a lovely touch, he does seem very lightweight and fragile though but so fabregas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Not to get too far ahead of things but that squad list for the CSKA match did set me thinking along the lines of what will happen in the summer regarding building/developing the squad assuming Villa get fourth spot?

There's not much point in qualifying for the Champions League if you can't at least put out a fairly strong team, but I also can't see there being much benefit in putting out a team that jepordises your position in the league. The format of the UEFA Cup has made things slightly easier for MON this season with the whole 3 for 5 qualifiying from the group thing.

Although MON did well this summer in the transfer market, I would be of the opinion that if Villa want to push on and legitamately make the big four into the big five that there would have to be an equivalent or greater effort made in terms of increasing the squad in terms of quality and quantity. So with that in mind how many players (net) do people think will be added to the squad in the summer? Where are the areas that you feel that additions should be made and are there any players in particular you'd like to see in?

Also how do you think this change in the nature of the squad how do you think that will effect things? i.e. will MON suddenly become a Tinkerman rotating his team every week or what?

At the moment it looks like midfield would be the focus but in general trading up in all areas would be a positive. Also the defence is looking a bit aged, Davies aside, so might not be a bad idea to start doing some forward planning there. In general a fair few of the better quality players are pushing on, with all the problems that brings - ie in two years and a half years how many of Friedel, Laursen, Bouma, Young, Shorey, Knight, Barry, Petrov, Carew and Heskey will be there? That's nearly a full eleven there. Some of them will still be there but you'd have to expect the majority will not. Might be a bit early bit but surely something to be considered when looking ahead.

I've bolded the players who are imo decent enough to remain in the squad for next year - probably been a bit generous with one or two e.g. Knight, Shorey, Gardner and I don't know very much about the fringe/younger players so I don't know if there are any worth keeping around Delfounso aside. However very few of them have made more than cameo-type appearances and I can't see them jumping straight into competion for a first-team place.

Also does anyone else think the recent slump in form might be down to fatigue? There are a core of players who have played a lot of football with very little/or no rotation being practised by MON. Pretty much the only changes MON makes are as a result of injuries - Only 18 players used in the league to date and of these it seems a lot of the players with the most game time are among the older players apart from Gabby, Ashley Young, Milner, and NRC.

Current Villa Squad - Ages after

1 GK Brad Friedel
    22 GK Brad Guzan

13 GK Stuart Taylor

5 DF Martin Laursen (captain) 31
    3 DF Wilfred Bouma 30
    2 DF Luke Young 29
    15 DF Curtis Davies 23
    21 DF Nicky Shorey 28
    24 DF Carlos Cuéllar 27
    16 DF Zat Knight 28

29 DF Stephen O'Halloran
    47 DF Ciaran Clark
    48 DF Nathan Baker

4 MF Steve Sidwell 26
    6 MF Gareth Barry (vice-captain) 28
    7 MF Ashley Young 23
    8 MF James Milner 23
    19 MF Stiliyan Petrov 29
    20 MF Nigel Reo-Coker (vice-captain) 24
    26 MF Craig Gardner 22

17 MF Moustapha Salifou 25
    27 MF Isaiah Osbourne
    45 MF Marc Albrighton
    46 MF Barry Bannan
    49 MF Chris Herd
    51 MF Shane Lowry

10 FW John Carew 29
    11 FW Gabriel Agbonlahor 22
    14 FW Nathan Delfouneso 18
    18 FW Emile Heskey 31

9 FW Marlon Harewood 29

IF we make CL, expect to see MON go back for some of his old targets with his great big cherry picker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Whatever you think, MON knows more.
    He knows what we lack, he knows what we need, he plays to our strengths.
    I have to say I have almost 100% faith in O'Neill.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Where we finish will have a massive impact on the type of player we can attract. If we're CL next season, I think we'll need improving in all areas of the team - from back to front - and knowing O'Neill's fondness for domestic players who can cope with the PL from the off, then I think realistically you're talking about the best players from other non-CL Premiership teams i.e. Micah Richards, Lescott, Arteta, Tim Cahill, etc. that sort... or players from the 'Big-4' sides who aren't regulars - Chelsea/United/Arsenal squad players. Maybe Alex or an Anderson or someone like that...

If we're UEFA Cup again then Barry will buy himself out of his contract and leave. In that case then attracting top players will be more difficult and we might have to buy from the continent to get value for money.

JPA wrote: »
    Good to have you on Boards, General.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

the villa gmae is on live in murrays (frazers) on oconnell st if anybody can make it. usually show the villa pl games aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Its on Setanta so will be on in a nicer place then Murrays. I'll probably watch it in the duke or somewhere closer to the liffey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

DSB wrote: »
    I think its a disgrace that Villa have left those players at home. Having said that at 5/1 I think Villa are excellent value

Guzan
    Young
    Shorey
    Davies
    Knight
    Gardner
    Sidwell
    Osbourne
    Salifou
    Carew
    Delfouneso

Do I view that team to be as far out as 5/1 to beat CSKA Moscow? Hell no. Do I fancy CSKA Moscow to win, probably, but at those odds Villa are too good for a bet. Sticking a 100 euro double on them and Bayern.

Part 1, sorted, cmon the Villa.

lol @ MON's interview from Moscow, looks like a wee elf :D:D

In other news, some fairly complimentary words from the opposition manager:
    Zico wrote:
    "Sometimes you have to choose, to make the right choice, and the priority for Aston Villa is the chance to play in the Champions League.
    "It is happening this season for them, so this is the season that must be respected.
    "He [O'Neill] is with his players every day, so he'll know whether they are tired, fatigued, and this is very important.
    "But for us, the most important thing is that we are playing Aston Villa, not the names, and they must be respected because they are a great team.
    "Just because their best players are at home, that does not make it any easier for us, not at all. There is no easy game, especially in the Uefa Cup.
    "If a player is at Aston Villa it is because he has a lot of talent and ability.

I always like Brazilians :pac:

• Advertisement

lol @ MON's interview from Moscow, looks like a wee elf :D:D

LOL alright. I was listening to Chinese Democracy watching it so it was made all the more amusing by having a wanky guitar solo fire away in the background!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

JPA wrote: »

It is a great feeling alright...

just wait until countless bitter ****ers try to rain on your parade all day every day :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I have to goto Milano's for dinner tonight so won't get to watch this game (Unless we get a table facing Fitzsimons).

Whatever happens, I hope that it gives these youngsters experience and a hunger for the competitive game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

It is a great feeling alright...

just wait until countless bitter ****ers try to rain on your parade all day every day :(

He's not Rafa!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Doodee wrote: »
    I have to goto Milano's for dinner tonight so won't get to watch this game (Unless we get a table facing Fitzsimons).

Whatever happens, I hope that it gives these youngsters experience and a hunger for the competitive game :D

I hear yer man who owns Milano's is a Birmingham nut and he pisses in the beer of all Villa fans.

Enjoy your night.
    ;)

jasonorr wrote: »
    He's not Rafa!!!

He's Better! ;)

He's Better! ;)

Post that in the Liverpool thread! Go on, for the craic :P

Don't really though!

jasonorr wrote: »
    Post that in the Liverpool thread! Go on, for the craic :P

Don't really though!

lol, knew someone would have to respond to that, dont think I will (im welcome in there atm) though :pac:

lol, knew someone would have to respond to that, dont think I will (im welcome in there atm) though :pac:

I wouldn't advise it, it's a very hostile thread!

Villa kick off at 5 this evening?

• Advertisement

Last time I ventured into the Liverpool thread I came out missing socks, they just can't help themselves them Scousers.

5pm KO today, Come on you Villa reserves :D:D

yeah early kick off toight and cos of a mix up in negotiations it cant be seen on UK tv although Setanta are showing it everywhere else

yeah early kick off toight and cos of a mix up in negotiations it cant be seen on UK tv although Setanta are showing it everywhere else

Setanta Ireland so?

probably, Im in London atm so will be watching via a stream of Setanta, if anyone else is doing the same later and posts one itd be much appreciated of course

probably, Im in London atm so will be watching via a stream of Setanta, if anyone else is doing the same later and posts one itd be much appreciated of course

Should be one here and here's the link to the main page, it might have more links later. Links are usually good quality and usually in English!

http://www.iraqgoals.com/en/ should have it also

• Advertisement

http://www.iraqgoals.com/en/ should have it also
    :eek: Infidel!

No Carew in in the Squad how very interesting

Guzan; Young, Davies, Knight, Shorey; Sidwell, Salifou, Gardner, Albrighton, Bannan; Delfouneso

Taylor, Harewood, Osbourne, Lichaj, Clark, Lowry

:eek: Infidel!

Can't afford Setanta or illegal box to hack it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

im pretty happy with that team considering what we brough

Can't afford Setanta or illegal box to hack it!

http://www.atdhe.net/

• Advertisement

No Carew in in the Squad how very interesting

Guzan; Young, Davies, Knight, Shorey; Sidwell, Salifou, Gardner, Albrighton, Bannan; Delfouneso

Taylor, Harewood, Osbourne, Lichaj, Clark, Lowry

that defense will have to be at theivery very best if they are to stand a chance out their as midfield and upfront doesent inspire huge amounts of confidence although it does include players that i really wanna see play and hopefully surprise me with their quality.

Will be great to see Bannon, Delfouneso & Albrighton tested against such good opposition for example.

Gotta assume Carew isnt 100% injury/fitness wise too cos otherwise why
    travel, altho id still be happy that they atleast had such an experienced player to talk to on this trip.

id assume carew took a knock in training over there, since we only named 6 subs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Big ask for The Fonz to lead the line.

carew is out with a back injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭nah_biy!

Helix wrote: »
    carew is out with a back injury

ah bollix :(

HUGE game for the young fellers, show what they made of. Sidwell, don't let me down...

dunno really if its that big, nobodys expecting them to do anything

Helix wrote: »
    dunno really if its that big, nobodys expecting them to do anything
    Aye but without doubt the biggest fixture some of them have played in so I'd hope to see some real hunger from the unknowns.

Should be no fear for them.

fairly positive so far, i could imagine this crowd getting anxious and maybe turning a bit on the home side despite the away goal if they dont score for ages.

I really like the Fonz the more i see of em

no support for fonz up top at the minute, but i think as the game goes on bannan and albrighton will start advancing a bit

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement