Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

containing CSKA away is very good from these young players althoughh we have had very little in terms of attacking play, it really is a pity that Carew got that knock as the Fonz could use his support though.

am i right CSKA are initials and not something that should be said as a word like the commentator im listening to keeps doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Its alright so far, Albrighton looking good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

am i right CSKA are initials and not something that should be said as a word like the commentator im listening to keeps doing?

iirc the russian fans were chanting it as if it was a word last week in villa park

but yeh, its initials

thats that over and done with anyway

impressive showings from albrighton and bannan

happy enough with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Well....that 2nd half was absolutely painful viewing. Beaten by a much better side, it didn't help we only had 9 men on the field. Sorry, but you can not call the efforts from Harewood and Sidwell as anything other than pathetic. :mad:

It was men against boys at times, CSKA's front three were running the show. Pity because the younglings gave a great account of themselves in the first half.

That's a draw and 3 defeats in the last 4 games, all eyes on MON now because our whole season is at stake starting with Stoke.

Bah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Does this mean that finishing outside the top four will mean its a dissapointing season for Villa?

Does this mean that finishing outside the top four will mean its a dissapointing season for Villa?
    Not so much disappointing as it would be a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Yep would like to see the offside again that ruled out gardners goal and also don't think it was a free kick that lead to their goal.

Two wide men were impressive, particularly Bannan in the first half, some great touchs/holding up ball from the Fonz, and Guzan did well in goals, couldn't of done anything about the ones conceded.

Lets focus on getting that Champions League spot.

if we dont win on sunday therell need to be serious questions asked

• Advertisement

No they won't Helix. The players left behind needed the rest, we can lose against Stoke and still be favourites for 4th. We've done well since Xmas considering injuries we've had. After Stoke a little time off allows for a few players to come back and everyone get a rest and head into the penultimate part of the season.

Helix wrote: »
    if we dont win on sunday therell need to be serious questions asked

Short term esults orientated thinking is not the way to go. Its not about the result on sunday, its about where we finish at the end of the season. If we finish fourth or third then resting players will have been a good choice, what happens on sunday doesn't matter imo.

shoutman wrote: »
    Short term esults orientated thinking is not the way to go. Its not about the result on sunday, its about where we finish at the end of the season. If we finish fourth or third then resting players will have been a good choice, what happens on sunday doesn't matter imo.

The long term is affected by what happens in the short term though?

surely you wont be happy if Villa drop points against Stoke no matter what team is put out?

No they won't Helix. The players left behind needed the rest, we can lose against Stoke and still be favourites for 4th. We've done well since Xmas considering injuries we've had. After Stoke a little time off allows for a few players to come back and everyone get a rest and head into the penultimate part of the season.

i dont think every one of those players needed a rest tbh

ash is just back from a ban, heskey missed a good few games before he signed for us, cuellar is just back from a lay off, friedel is a keeper and jimmy is the fittest bloke in england plus hasnt played anywhere near as much as the rest of the regulars due to his slow start to the season

any of those couldve played

dont get me wrong, im happy enough we're out of the uefa, but i think its an awful risk putting all our eggs in the one basket

hand on heart, i think we'll struggle on sunday too

The long term is affected by what happens in the short term though?

surely you wont be happy if Villa drop points against Stoke no matter what team is put out?

No one is going to be happy with a draw, i'm just saying that sundays result will not make the squad selection for todays game right or wrong.

shoutman wrote: »
    No one is going to be happy with a draw, i'm just saying that sundays result will not make the squad selection for todays game right or wrong.

Well the players were rested for the league, there is nothing left,

So i think the squad selection for todays game was wrong, and will be even worse if Villa drop points on Sunday.

I would be livid if i was a Villa fan if Villa now go on to finish outside the top 4.

• Advertisement

Yes i concede that MON could have included one or two of the regulars, particularly to shore up the Midfield. but he was going to play Carew and Gardner & Sidwell are regulars of sorts no?

Stoke haven't won away all season how ominous.

sidwell probably shouldnt get near the first team squad again tbh

Just have to wait til next season for Sidwell i suppose, but did he not play well at some points this season? Arsenal away, goal at Everton....?

oh where are you NRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

sidwell probably shouldnt get near the first team squad again tbh

Tottally agree, he was awful tonight.He was our most experiened player in midfield but you couldn't tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

That was a tough finish to watch alright. I'd agree with others that Sidwell added little. Love was toying with us at the back, we desperately missed the injured Laursen more than any player in this tie. You could argue he would have been the first player to be rested but I think we'd have had the tie close to wrapped up from the first leg. The two wide lads were impressive with Albrighton being the pick for me. I will take that as the positive from the game.

As for the whole prioritising of the league debate I would say it's the manager's call. He can see who's looking tired in training, hears what the physios have to say and has a gut instinct of what the players are capable of. For me if in any doubt it has to be go for the top 4 spot. That place would have a massive impact on Villa's long term development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

i don't think it would be a disaster if don't make the top four. It will be very disappointing and make going out of the uefa like this feel worse. But 5th is where i expected to finish at the start of the season so if we get that we've still made an improvement from last year.
    I still expect us to get 4th now though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

We now officially have 2 less games than Arsenal this season (CL & FA cup) and considering they are leading after their 1st leg in europe that is likely to become 4 more games inc international trips and with them playing Burnley in the next round of the FA cup it could become atleast 5 more games.

Re: Sidwell, id honestly say if in the summer we recieved a bid of around what he cost us (5m ish) for him we would take it, and it wouldent be too od to see him attract such a price. We have Gardner and NRC as backup in CM and its the AM role that sidwell can play that i think most would pin point as an area where we could use improvement with a signing like Moutinho or someone if we have CL football

Let's not beat around the bush here, after the events of the last 10 days, Villa need to go out and beat Stoke at the weekend. I don't buy the whole "it's just one game" thing because seasons regularly do hang in the balance when you get to the business end of it.

Psychologically, we need a win to draw a line under a very poor February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

With out a doubt Villa need to beat Stoke. But we'd have needed to beat them anyway. Even if we'd sent our best team to Moscow and stuffed them 5-0 we'd have needed to beat Stoke. The CL is now a distinct possibility, so we have to focus on that. We have to aspire to it, it's where all the money is, and will enable us to attract better players.

Even if we lose on Sunday sending a weakened team to Moscow was the right decision. A lot of the players needed a rest. And beyond Sunday we need can do without the extra games.

I wonder is there another deeper reason for sending a reserve team. We are on a bad run. Even if we sent a full strength team we were unlikely to overcome CSKA, so that run would have been extended. This way we can chalk this loss down as a reserve team loss, and the first team can come back fresh on Sunday. Just a thought.

/edit...I agree with Helix that sunday will be tough. I have a bad feeling about it. I think because we've put our eggs in one basket it put pressure on us that we could do without.

Anyway, in Martin I trust!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Jesus wept... poor Steven Sidwell. A few below par games and he's being slaughtered!!!!????:confused: If I remember corrcetly certain people were slating Gabby at the start of the season before he hit form...?

I'd like to see the stats on our points ratio with Sidwell in the side, compared to when he hasn't played...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

wynters wrote: »
    If I remember corrcetly certain people were slating Gabby at the start of the season before he hit form...?

He's not exactly in the best of form at the minute. Not his fault, he just needs a rest.

wynters wrote: »
    Jesus wept... poor Steven Sidwell. A few below par games and he's being slaughtered!!!!????:confused: If I remember corrcetly certain people were slating Gabby at the start of the season before he hit form...?

gabby hit form? :confused:

in fairness re sidwell, hes been a consistent disaster for us

if its not own goals its red cards, penos or shockingly bad performances

he needs to get the davies treatment and just be taken completely out of the first team squad. let him build himself back up in the stiffs and see how it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just reading all of these last couple of pages now and I cannot believe what people are saying regarding Steve Sidwell. Admittedly I've only seen him play five or six times for Villa including yesterday and he looked good in some of them games. I think last nights game should be discarded, the plastic pitch for a start. Two of them games were against Arsenal where he played extremely well. I remember the United game and he was decent in that as well.
    Anyone who reckons you need to get rid of him is foolish. He should be part of the Villa squad if you make the CL next season. You will need strength in depth in midfield and Sidwell is good enough imo. You cannot just criticise him on last nights performance, and two or three errors over the course of the season. Just look at that free kick last night, he didn't block the shot but he was the only one who reacted to it in fairness. Where were other players?

I personally thought he was poor yesterday evening but you cannot just heap that team performance on one player.

I'd have to agree with another poster who mentions Alrighton. He looked very good last night as did Craig Gardner yet again. I think Gardner is going to be a huge player for Villa over the coming years. Thats something that Villa have always had is that youth system which produces some gems, and now with the right manager in place to further develop that talent you can see so many promising youngsters coming through. The other winger looked good too, I cannot remember his name right now. As for Delfounso, well I don't think he did very well at all yesterday, I'm sure he is better than that going by all I've heard about the players.

The only thing though regarding all these performances is that you can look good in a bad performance, its not the same as looking good in a top performance where everyone is part of a unit. Last night Villa were very disjointed for most of the game, you seen players being beaten to the ball all too often and there was no end product most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

eagle eye wrote: »
    The other winger looked good too, I cannot remember his name right now.

That would be Marc Albrighton or Barry Bannan! two 19 yo wingers and two very good promising players.

Just reading all of these last couple of pages now and I cannot believe what people are saying regarding Steve Sidwell.
    I don't think you've done your homework here dude, because as much as I'd love to stick up for him, Sidwell has not had a great season overall and definitely needs the Davies/Petrov treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Savman wrote: »
    Sidwell has not had a great season overall
    +1. He's been poor overall and very very poor recently. I thought he would be a good signing but he's not turned out well. I think playing in a 4-5-1 suits him better than 4-4-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I don't think you've done your homework here dude, because as much as I'd love to stick up for him, Sidwell has not had a great season overall and definitely needs the Davies/Petrov treatment.

Play him in every game until he becomes good?

I do think you are all being a little harsh on him.
    He did spend the first part of the season injured. And the season before that he didn't even get a look in with Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I'd have to agree with another poster who mentions Alrighton. He looked very good last night as did Craig Gardner yet again. I think Gardner is going to be a huge player for Villa over the coming years. Thats something that Villa have always had is that youth system which produces some gems, and now with the right manager in place to further develop that talent you can see so many promising youngsters coming through. The other winger looked good too, I cannot remember his name right now. As for Delfounso, well I don't think he did very well at all yesterday, I'm sure he is better than that going by all I've heard about the players.

Craig had a decent game last night and I'm glad for him. He's a good footballer but at 22 (same age as Gabby) he's very unlikely to ever be a great player. Has the potential to be a solid squad player though.

Bannan and (particularly) Albrighton made decent impressions last night. Agreed Fonz wasn't fantastic. But Bannan and Albrighton are both more than a year older than Fonz so he deserves another year before he's judged to their standard. As well as that, Bannan and Albrighton were playing on the wings in a five-man midfield whereas Delmobilephoneso was up front all on his ownio. It's hard to compare situations like that.

I think every Villa fan would agree than Delfouneso has a brighter future than Gardner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jimbo32123

lads, first time poster here.

I thought last night was a good performance last a team with limited experience. Guzan was steady enough and is showing signs that he may develop into quality, Barry Bannan and Marc Albrighton were immense for Villa last night as was Craig Gardener. I was really dissappointed in Sidwell and to an extent the Hare when he came on, i know he has limited oppourtunity but he looked out of sorts completely last night....

On the plus side i hope we can demolish stoke at the weekend as im going to it, my team would be

Fridel
    Gardener Davies Knight Young
    Milner Petrov Barry
    Gabby Young
    Heskey

would be very good attacking team!!

any word on long john carew?? heard the flight wasnt good and he hurt his back??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

jimbo32123 wrote: »
    any word on long john carew?? heard the flight wasnt good and he hurt his back??

:eek: he hurt his back on the flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jimbo32123

:eek: he hurt his back on the flight?

apparently so, it was mentioed during the commentary on iraqgoals.com/en last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

We now officially have 2 less games than Arsenal this season (CL & FA cup) and considering they are leading after their 1st leg in europe that is likely to become 4 more games inc international trips and with them playing Burnley in the next round of the FA cup it could become atleast 5 more games.

No real advantage there, when Arsenal play in these competitions every year and should have a few key players coming back from injury!

I said that I've only seen him in a couple of games if you read down a bit further.

What I meant by the comment you quoted is guys saying he is not up to it and that he should be sold if you can recoup the money you paid for him.

Exactly what you said there though, Petrov did not get off to the brightest starts there and look at him now. People need to be more patient with players.

Whats the story with Reo-Coker? Is he still injured or something, the guys an animal but I don't think he has played much this year?

jasonorr wrote: »
    No real advantage there, when Arsenal play in these competitions every year and should have a few key players coming back from injury!
    The fact that Arsenal have more games might not be an advantage.

The fact that Aston Villa have less games is an advantage. The Villa team that played Chelsea looked jaded and that was their third game in ten days. O'Neill learned his lesson there and then and imo rightly left players behind for that Uefa Cup game yesterday.

You have one of the smallest squads in the PL, you need to just concentrate on one competition and the PL is most important both financially and for the betterment of the club. You make the Champion's League next season and the club becomes far more attractive and bigger names become interested in playing for Villa.

• Advertisement

Craig had a decent game last night and I'm glad for him. He's a good footballer but at 22 (same age as Gabby) he's very unlikely to ever be a great player. Has the potential to be a solid squad player though.

Bannan and (particularly) Albrighton made decent impressions last night. Agreed Fonz wasn't fantastic. But Bannan and Albrighton are both more than a year older than Fonz so he deserves another year before he's judged to their standard. As well as that, Bannan and Albrighton were playing on the wings in a five-man midfield whereas Delmobilephoneso was up front all on his ownio. It's hard to compare situations like that.

I think every Villa fan would agree than Delfouneso has a brighter future than Gardner though.

fonz defo has a brighter future than gardner, but thats not to say that gardner doesnt have a bright future. when hes played in his natural position hes a fantastic little player

i reckon hes going to be a very important player as he grows into his role

hes only 22 after all, and hes wasted a season playing in defence

The fact that Arsenal have more games might not be an advantage.

The fact that Aston Villa have less games is an advantage. The Villa team that played Chelsea looked jaded and that was their third game in ten days. O'Neill learned his lesson there and then and imo rightly left players behind for that Uefa Cup game yesterday.

You have one of the smallest squads in the PL, you need to just concentrate on one competition and the PL is most important both financially and for the betterment of the club. You make the Champion's League next season and the club becomes far more attractive and bigger names become interested in playing for Villa.

The only advantage is the points difference, looking at the fixtures here...I don't think Villa will be comfortable until the last 2 games, but if they drop many points in between the damage could already be done!

Aston Villa v Stoke Stubborn
    Man City v Aston Villa Depends on how City play, could be tough
    Aston Villa v Tottenham Depends on how Spurs play, could be tough
    Liverpool v Aston Villa Tough
    Man Utd v Aston Villa Tough
    Aston Villa v Everton Tough
    Aston Villa v West Ham Tough
    Bolton v Aston Villa Stubborn
    Aston Villa v Hull Stubborn
    Fulham v Aston Villa Stubborn
    Middlesbrough v Aston Villa Should be fine
    Aston Villa v Newcastle Should be fine

Maybe, I should analyse Arsenals fixtures too, but I'll leave that to someone on here!

we should pick up 25 points from our remaining games, so the question really is whether arsenal will pick up 32 from theirs or not

we should pick up 25 points from our remaining games, so the question really is whether arsenal will pick up 32 from theirs or not

I don't see either happening to be honest!

The only advantage is the points difference, looking at the fixtures here...I don't think Villa will be comfortable until the last 2 games, but if they drop many points in between the damage could already be done!

Aston Villa v Stoke Stubborn
    Man City v Aston Villa Depends on how City play, could be tough
    Aston Villa v Tottenham Depends on how Spurs play, could be tough
    Liverpool v Aston Villa Tough
    Man Utd v Aston Villa Tough
    Aston Villa v Everton Tough
    Aston Villa v West Ham Tough
    Bolton v Aston Villa Stubborn
    Aston Villa v Hull Stubborn
    Fulham v Aston Villa Stubborn
    Middlesbrough v Aston Villa Should be fine
    Aston Villa v Newcastle Should be fine

Maybe, I should analyse Arsenals fixtures too, but I'll leave that to someone on here!
    That has nothing to do with the points I made. You are talking about fixtures and likely outcomes, surely a jaded squad makes every game more perilous. That was my point.

That has nothing to do with the points I made. You are talking about fixtures and likely outcomes, surely a jaded squad makes every game more perilous. That was my point.

Not necessarily, a good run in the Uefa Cup could definitely give the players confidence, especially with the run of games that they have now...if things go bad in the Premiership, they only have the next Premiership game or so to turn it around!

• Advertisement

Not necessarily, a good run in the Uefa Cup could definitely give the players confidence, especially with the run of games that they have now...if things go bad in the Premiership, they only have the next Premiership game or so to turn it around!
    I'm sorry but there is only one answer to that.

:rolleyes:

I'm sorry but there is only one answer to that.

:rolleyes:

Right, whatever you say my good man :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I don't see either happening to be honest!

why not?

neither are beyond the realms of possibility

why not?

neither are beyond the realms of possibility

No, but I just feel both teams will drop more points than that! I honestly couldn't even hazard a guess at this stage which team will finish higher as Arsenal are so bloody unpredictable and Villa have been remarkably solid!

People are saying Sidwell should be given time like Petrov to find his feet, thats fair enough but ignore 2 things:

1) Petrov has class about him, we knew he could play at the highest level. Sidwell came from Reading via Chelsea reserves. He has only sparkled in the PL for one season in a very ordinary team. Petrov played well in the UEFA Cup & CL for multiple seasons.

2) if Villa were in a similar position to last season, in the nether world with with Everton between the CL places and the mid table/relegation scrappers, then Sidwell can be allowed time to get his game and find his form. Right now Sidders looks like he is out of the reckoning for the rest of the season as every game is a cup final and Villa can't afford passengers.

MON is a loyal type so i imagine Sidders will be there next season but i would guess that he will find himself further behind in the pecking order behind new signings. Rather NRC in the middle myself tbh.

Also all hail the Villa youth, acquitted themselves very well last night in Moscow. -10c there last might at half time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement