Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Luke Young has been a great performer, but Stan has shone above them all. Quite an unbelievable turnaround tbh. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

completely different player, he really is

Some serious thought needed. We need to change that back four.
    That's essentially it. They've been woeful lately, especially (and it gives me no pleasure naming them) Davies and Knight.

Not so sure Cuellar or Shorey are the solution tbh, Laursen's absence is killing us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Helix wrote: »
    between petrov and luke young really, nobody else comes close. and even then stan is light years ahead

Milner just behind them.

We threw away today's game. I also noticed Knight's "effort" on the 2nd goal :rolleyes: How long till Bouma and Laursen are back? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Savman wrote: »
    Not so sure Cuellar or Shorey are the solution tbh, Laursen's absence is killing us.
    Not due back until end of March, right?

So what do you suggest? Cuellar is wasted at RB. Wouldn't be against bringing in NRC at RB and playing Young at LB, but I think Shorey-Young makes more sense than that.

• Advertisement

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Milner just behind them.
    In fairness, he did have a 'settling in' period where he did, er, nothing for weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

NRC at full back for a start. Not sure about the centre of defence, putting CC in there might do something but really its Laursens presence thats missed most as Savman said.

Perhaps Shorey might have been ok playing today as Stoke were poor going forward, but against anyone half decent he still seems to be a liability in my mind anyway.

And i almost forgot Bouma! jeez he has been missed.

Not due back until end of March, right?

So what do you suggest? Cuellar is wasted at RB. Wouldn't be against bringing in NRC at RB and playing Young at LB, but I think Shorey-Young makes more sense than that.
    I don't like NRC at RB but jaysis, desperate times and all that. At least he'll never stop running. Shorey is suspect at LB and we can't bank our whole season on out of form fringe players. Cuellar and Davies at CB is worth a try I guess, drop Knight and get Luke back to RB asap.

I also think Carew has been dreadful lately, but somehow manages to pop up with goals which makes him immune from criticism. I guess that's par for the course though. Gabby...trying my patience lad :mad:

Shorey is suspect at LB and we can't bank our whole season on out of form fringe players. Cuellar and Davies at CB is worth a try I guess, drop Knight and get Luke back to RB asap.
    So who for LB against Citeh then?

I also think Carew has been dreadful lately, but somehow manages to pop up with goals which makes him immune from criticism. I guess that's par for the course though. Gabby...trying my patience lad :mad:

sure carew has only had bit parts lately

id still rather him starting than gabby any day

26 goals from 60 appearances for us isnt to be sniffed at

gabby however is proving absolutely everything ive said about him time and again at the minute

• Advertisement

So who for LB against Citeh then?
    truth be told, I haven't the first damn clue. I'd lump for either Option B) Freddy with no limbs or Option C) A.N. Other joining in the summer.

Shorey does not fill me with confidence at all. As for Gabby, shoulda feckin sent him to Moscow :rolleyes:

Shall we criticise MONs tactics now? would have thought once Stokes first goal went in he'd taken Agbonlahor off and put on Gardner. Really caught rotten by Whelan for their equaliser.

If Gabby can score against anyone its Man City & Richard Dunne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

The fact that MON never uses the bench really p1sses me off, why couldnt he of taken off Gabby at 2-0 and replaced him with NRC or Gardner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I want to see this team play City, provided Nige is match fit.

Friedel

NRC----Davies---Cuellar--Young

Barry---Petrov
    Milner
    Young
    Heskey

Carew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I want to see this team play City, provided Nige is match fit.

Friedel

NRC----Davies---Cuellar--Young

Barry---Petrov
    Milner
    Young
    Heskey

Carew

I'd play

Friedel
    Gardner---Davies---Cuellar---Young
    Petrov

NRC
    Barry----
    Milner
    Young
    Carew/Heskey

We're away from home. We need to win midfield first and foremost, and hope we can manage a goal after that.

Basically agree with defense Neil. But would use NRC in midfield and stick Gardner in def.

What about Barry at LB?

What about Barry at LB?

Nah I think we need him in the middle.

Think about it. Gardner at RB and Young out-of-position but with Barry and Petrov, or a strong back four with NRC and Petrov?

It feels wrong but it makes sense I think.

Friedel
    Young--Davies--Cuellar--Barry-
    Petrov

NRC
    Gardner----
    Milner
    Young
    Carew

would shore up the leaking goals issue but still maintain a pretty strong attacking threat.
    Subs: Guzan, Shorey, Knight, Sidwell, Salifou, Gabby, Heskey.

Think about it. Gardner at RB and Young out-of-position but with Barry and Petrov, or a strong back four with NRC and Petrov?

It feels wrong but it makes sense I think.

Neither is ideal i guess.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

personally id go

Friedel
    Young--Davies--Cuellar--Shorey
    Petrov

NRC
    Barry----
    Milner
    Young
    Carew

Subs: Guzan, Knight, Gardner, Sidwell, Bannan, Gabby, Heskey

but only in the next match and if Shorey didnt do well i wouldent rush to give him another chance. I also thin that not starting Gabby could light a fir under him and that he could be great as a impact sub vs tiring legs, maybe a late double sub NRC/Carew off for Gabby/Hesey.

• Advertisement

The good news is that Bellamy/Robinho & Richards are seemingly out for Wednesday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/01/premier-league-manchester-city-craig-bellamy-mark-hughes

Still wouldn't play Shorey. Sure he can pass and move up/down the flank.Can't defend for shizzle.

The good news is that Bellamy/Robinho & Richards are seemingly out for Wednesday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/01/premier-league-manchester-city-craig-bellamy-mark-hughes

Still wouldn't play Shorey. Sure he can pass and move up/down the flank.Can't defend for shizzle.

with SWP and Petrov (their LM) also out then this is the best time to play them as i guess they only have youngsters like Caicedo upfront

Ah but don't forget big Darius to step up and get his usual goals against Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

with SWP and Petrov (their LM) also out then this is the best time to play them as i guess they only have youngsters like Caicedo upfront

His suspension is finished.

If Robinho, Bellamy and Richards don't make it then I expect to see a team of -

Given

Zabaleta
    Dunne
    Onouha
    Bridge

Kompany
    De Jong

Ireland

Wright-Phillips
    Elano

Caicedo

Subs: Hart, Berti, Bojinov, Weiss, Vassell, Garrido, A N Other

Decent enough, especially at home.

Yepthat confirms it. SWP v Shorey doesn't inspire confidence at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Esse85 wrote: »
    I just watched the highlights there and Zat Knights defending for the 2nd goal was a disgrace, he was as slow to come out and close the shot down and when he finally got there, he turned sideways, really awful stuff.

One would also have to question the contribution Heskey has made so far, apart from the goal at Portsmouth, i dont recall him having any impact yet. He's almost playing as a 5th midfielder.
    The second goal was a very good goal. And watching highlights won't give you any clue as to how a game unfolded.
    Zat Knight played well yesterday and you go and pick out a screamer of a shot and blame him for the loss. In fairness the man has been excellent for Villa since Laursen's injury. I will admit though that he looked a bit messy for the last couple of minutes but he was not alone in that. Cuellar and Agbonlahor finished the game badly, and I would be of the opinion that they are more to blame than anybody else for what transpired over the last couple of minutes yesterday.
    On Heskey, I know why you go there too, John Carew scores goals. Emile Heskey is playing a deeper role for Villa and is pretty much a link up player by the looks of things in the two games I've seen him play for Villa. Anyways Heskey has never been an out and out goalscorer, the player that you should be worried about is Gabby Agbonlahor who is missing chances.

For 85 minutes yesterday Villa looked top class but they lost their focus and paid the price.

A good team learns a lesson from this. A good manager learns a lesson from this, imo you tick the two boxes above, and it could be worse Arsenal lost the weekend, you stretched the gap by a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Came across an article/interview on a book by Brad Friedel

Not a huge amount about Villa in the interview but it's an interesting enough read
    We meet on a snowy Thursday afternoon near his home in Prestbury, Cheshire. He’s spent the morning training with Aston Villa and his first seven months with Martin O’Neill have worked brilliantly. “He’s good,” Friedel says. “He’s the boss. I think, as a player, if you are ever given an inch you take a yard and the less inches that are given the better.”

“And he doesn’t give many inches?” I suggest.

“No,” he smiles. “But doesn’t that get harder at age 37 on a morning like today? When it’s cold and miserable?”

“No, once you get warmed up it’s no problem.”

Seems like the book itself might well be a decent enough read - I'm sure the goal-keepers union will be in touch for his commendable work in further increasing the general viewpoint that normally the most interesting/different/unique people on the pitch.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/paul_kimmage/article5822363.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

eagle eye wrote: »
    and it could be worse Arsenal lost the weekend, you stretched the gap by a point.
    The Arse Drew. HUGE opportunity lost by Villa.

If he plays, SWP could quite easily make Shorey his bitch. I think we need Luke Young at RB because he's the only one I'd trust to do a job on Robinho. City are better at home but they can still be got at.

Purely depends on which Villa team shows up.
    Petrov/Barry V DeJong/Kompany - I think experience will count here and our 2 have truck loads of it.
    Carew V Dunne I'd fancy the big man to give the honey monster a busy night.
    This game has Agbonlahor written all over it if he cared to released digit from his anus, remember he scored a hat trick against these at VP.

• Advertisement

Osbourne gone to Forest on loan til end of the season. Was never getting a look in tbh.

hes poor tbh

1 thing that can always give you optimism, pop into the Arsenal thread and see them contemplating Uefa cup football next season :D

1 thing that can always give you optimism, pop into the Arsenal thread and see them contemplating Uefa cup football next season :D

Ah here that smacks a little too much of Schadenfreude for my liking.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Schadenfreude
    Thank feck for google... :o

only just realised that was my 4k post could have made it something better tbh anyway cmon Villa! :D

• Advertisement

I've 10 9 to go to the 5k mark :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

eagle eye wrote: »
    The second goal was a very good goal. And watching highlights won't give you any clue as to how a game unfolded.
    Zat Knight played well yesterday and you go and pick out a screamer of a shot and blame him for the loss. In fairness the man has been excellent for Villa since Laursen's injury. I will admit though that he looked a bit messy for the last couple of minutes but he was not alone in that. Cuellar and Agbonlahor finished the game badly, and I would be of the opinion that they are more to blame than anybody else for what transpired over the last couple of minutes yesterday.
    On Heskey, I know why you go there too, John Carew scores goals. Emile Heskey is playing a deeper role for Villa and is pretty much a link up player by the looks of things in the two games I've seen him play for Villa. Anyways Heskey has never been an out and out goalscorer, the player that you should be worried about is Gabby Agbonlahor who is missing chances.

For 85 minutes yesterday Villa looked top class but they lost their focus and paid the price.

A good team learns a lesson from this. A good manager learns a lesson from this, imo you tick the two boxes above, and it could be worse Arsenal lost the weekend, you stretched the gap by a point.
    The 2nd goal could easily of been avoided if Knight had of done his job properly and not been so sloppy. He didnt make the effort to get to the ball first, and when he got there, he turned sideways almost getting out of the way of the shot. I dont think John Terry would of done this.

But watching the highlights will enlighten me on the goals we score/concede allowing me to make judgement on the above.

Highlights if you can stomach them: http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/2161063/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I've 10 9 to go to the 5k mark :eek:
    I'm considering keeping my 10k post for the last day of the season when the final whistle has gone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Villain wrote: »
    I'm considering keeping my 10k post for the last day of the season when the final whistle has gone :D

That would be good, but I would say you will easily pass it by then.

I am confident Villa will get the 4th spot, although I think it will come close in the last few fixtures.

• Advertisement

Post #5,000 :D

/punches air

Congratulations Savman, you officially spend too much time online talking Villa:D.

What are peoples feelings for Man Citeh?

Back on the road where seemingly Villa are more comfortable, lets not talk about our 2 points from our last 3 home PL games:o.

I'm going for draw after being reminded that Villa have not drawn away from home and City have not drawn at home in PL this season. Gabby should start imo. maybe even going back to 451/433 no?

post 2222 for me, has a certain symmetry to it

i fully expect us to do them quite comfortably since theyre missing their 2 main threats

Helix wrote: »
    i fully expect us to do them quite comfortably since theyre missing their 2 main threats

I didn't know Vassell was injured

Hopefully Carew & Gabby can get amongst goals against slow man Dunne. this is the type of game i would think would suit the 451 perfectly imo.

Also Bouma slowly but surely getting there after reserve start last night

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4997631,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jimbo32123

Aston Villa striker John Carew could be in line for a shock departure in the summer. (Daily Mirror)

what do we think of this lads?? I would be gutted, we only looked dangerous up top when he was on the pitch...

was 2 seats behind petrovs misses at the game on Sunday, absolute QUALITY!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Where do they come out with this tripe from. Shock departure in the summer? Its only the beginning of march, its not like he's tlaking to clubs or anything.

It's not unheard of that a good player leaves a club, especially when it looks like he is third choice striker at the moment, depending on who's brought in during summer i think it could happen, but most likely wont.

Nothing to see here.

Heh, how much things have improved:
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    Given the state of your club at the moment and the momentum ours has gathered, (16th to 6th in two seasons) I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you lot will be forced to deal with Villa when Liverpool players want to play for a CL club in a couple of seasons.
    haha

i aint gonna lose sleep over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

According to my text updates from VP, Laursen is being pencilled in to return for the Utd game in April.

Ah here's a link.
    Aston Villa skipper Martin Laursen has been pencilled in to make his first-team comeback against Manchester United at Old Trafford on April 5.The 31-year-old has not featured since the home encounter with West Brom on January 10 after which he underwent knee surgery.

The former AC Milan defender has also announced his retirement from international football with Denmark to help ensure he protects his fitness.

But he's making good progress from his latest setback and Villa manager Martin O'Neill is optimistic he will be available for the meeting with Sir Alex Ferguson's side.

O'Neill said: "Martin is making good progress at the moment and he is deadly keen to play again.

"After the Liverpool game (on March 22), he has got that extra fortnight to get ready because he no longer plays international football so you are probably looking at the Manchester United game.

"Everyone knows how well he has done for us during the past couple of seasons and it will be good to have as many players available as possible for the run-in."

O'Neill will also monitor the fitness of left-back Wilfred Bouma during Villa's short break abroad later this week in Dubai before deciding whether he can return against Tottenham on March 15.

The Dutch international made his first competitive appearance for nearly eight months since dislocating his ankle in a reserve meeting with Chelsea on Monday when he completed 90 minutes.

O'Neill said: "I'm really pleased he got through that game. Psychologically it was great for him. He's still a bit rusty but has got a good attitude and wants to be involved in the final three months of the season.

"Will he feature against Tottenham? We will see. He will come abroad with us and we will be able to monitor him very closely.

"He will step up his training and physical work and get really sharp."

O'Neill is hoping the five-day break will enable his side to recharge their batteries for the final 10 League games of the season.

He said: "We're going to get away to try and refresh, get a bit of sun on our backs for a day or two then come back and be ready for the last 10 games."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Anything less than a win tomorrow night now leaves the lads in a horrible horrible situation, and surely makes Arsenal favourites once more.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement