Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Savman wrote: »
    Not if we continue with underperformers. United wont care about our honeymoon to Dubai, they'll be going out to mash us to little claret and blue pieces. So you need to have your strongest players on the bloody pitch, not watching from behind MON.

Pah, begone negativity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Still in with a chance of CL. Players & MON just need to knock heads and see what works in dubai.

451 works, Carew Works.

442 doesn't work, Heskey isn't performing. Gabby needs some time on bench to think about things.

We've took the hard option of having our season resting on the next 3 games, by end of March Arsenal can be out of sight, we have to get results against Spurs/Pool and Man Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

JPA wrote: »
    Pah, begone negativity.
    Man you must have the memory of a fish :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Savman wrote: »
    Not if we continue with underperformers. United wont care about our honeymoon to Dubai, they'll be going out to mash us to little claret and blue pieces. So you need to have your strongest players on the bloody pitch, not watching from behind MON.
    JPA wrote: »
    Pah, begone negativity.

It's not negativity, it's reality.

United always crush Villa.

It's like the 11th Commandment or something. :D

Des wrote: »
    It's not negativity, it's reality.

United always crush Villa.

It's like the 11th Commandment or something. :D
    :(

Some good news, Acorns are to remain as shirt sponsors for next season seemingly.

Least we have that over Man Utd and their evil banker sponsors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Spurs fan in peace. Really looking forward to the game against you on 15 March. I've mixed feelings about the result, would love to see you capture 4th spot (at Arsenal's expense of course) and was disappointed to see you beat at City last night.

O'Neill's done a great job. The Carew/Young/Agbonlahor partnership is brilliant, Milner and Barry are excellent, Davies is a good up-and-comer, and Heskey and Friedel were very smart business.

What I wouldn't give to see a bit of the confidence, stability, optimism and results at White Hart Lane.

Anyway, kudos :rolleyes:

Some good news, Acorns are to remain as shirt sponsors for next season seemingly.
    Listen, as great n' all as this unquestionably is, I am extremely skeptical about the timing of this announcement from the club. It's like as if they picked the worst part of the season to give us some good news which has absolutely nothing to do with matters on the field.

The cynic in me thinks this may have been agreed ages ago, but not released until the team needed a distraction. Yeah it's great news for a wonderfully run club, but the team are playing bollocks and right now I'm sorry but I don't care about what name will be on the jersey next year.

btw that's not me being a heartless bastard, but I'd rather see Acorns in the Champions League as opposed to the UEFA/Europa (again).

markesmith wrote: »
    Spurs fan in peace. Really looking forward to the game against you on 15 March.
    That makes one of us...

• Advertisement

I see what you're saying, not sure if im ready to believe yet though in the conspiracy behind it.

I'm scratching my head here with all this suicide like talk.
    You would think Arsenal were in some kind of form, they just beat the worst team in the league on Saturday and suddenly they are about to steam roll us!

Maybe it's inbuilt Villa fan negativity but Arsenal have fecked up as much as us recently. They could be ahead of us easy if they'd won the many games they should have at home.

Maybe I'll be accused of blind optimism or something but I for one have no fear that we are collapsing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I agree with JPA there, I think you guys are fearing the worst. Stay positive, swings and roundabouts occur over the course of a season and the best team will end up in the top four at the end. Arsenal are going through a handy run of games and have not made the most of it. They have a very tough end to the campaign, I think you are still strong favourites to finish fourth at worst.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

eagle eye wrote: »
    I agree with JPA there, I think you guys are fearing the worst. Stay positive, swings and roundabouts occur over the course of a season and the best team will end up in the top four at the end. Arsenal are going through a handy run of games and have not made the most of it. They have a very tough end to the campaign, I think you are still strong favourites to finish fourth at worst.

well i wouldent say 4th at worst but i agree with JPA beating West Brom means feck all, west Brom are a championship side in waiting, Arsenal have players returning and we expect better from them but weve expected better from Wengers men all season whos to say that big Sam wont get something against them in their next match like he just did against Everton and like he often did in his bolton days, or that Man City wont do what they did against us when the play them at Eastland in just a few matches.

Hopefully a nice lil Dubai holiday will do the lads well and we can return to get return and get 3 points from the Premierships Jekyll and Hyde side that is Spurs and you never know (if big sam did do well with blackburn) we could be 5ish points ahead again.

im not saying we will improve/get 4th im just staying positive because this wont be over for a long while yet

Well City are playing Arsenal away. So will probably lose.

BUT.. Arsenal have shown nothing, NOTHING, this season that represents the consistency of past Arsenal teams and could draw or lose against anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

but i agree with JPA beating West Brom means feck all, west Brom are a championship side in waiting

It means three points ;)

you say you expected better from Arsenal all season,but what many people do not seem to appreciate is Arsenal have had significant injuries to deal with in recent months and our rseults have sufferered as a result.As would most teams.

We have statrted to play well again in the last few matches and are creating chances again, with a bit more luck we could have converted some of those draws into wins. We are getting our players back now slowly and even with injuries we are just three points behind Villa.

Still lots of games to play and the cl spots are still up for grabs imo, the exception being utd who have the league won imo.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    It means three points ;)

you say you expected better from Arsenal all season,but what many people do not seem to appreciate is Arsenal have had significant injuries to deal with in recent months and our rseults have sufferered as a result.As would most teams.

We have statrted to play well again in the last few matches and are creating chances again, with a bit more luck we could have converted some of those draws into wins. We are getting our players back now slowly and even with injuries we are just three points behind Villa.

Still lots of games to play and the cl spots are still up for grabs imo, the exception being utd who have the league won imo.

I agree with all that but actually think that if anything Villa's last two results have had a major confidence boost on Arsenal more so than beating a team like The baggies. Wenger and co seem confident and its understandable that Villa fans are now worried but as you say lots of games to go and the places are still up for grabs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I agree with all that but actually think that if anything Villa's last two results have had a major confidence boost on Arsenal more so than beating a team like The baggies. Wenger and co seem confident and its understandable that Villa fans are now worried but as you say lots of games to go and the places are still up for grabs

I agree with you, the Stoke result was a big boost to Arsenal,potentially we were a couple of mins from being 8 points behind Villa. I do think Arsenal have started to play much better lately, I felt we went through a phase of not creating much, we seem to have sorted that out recently, what the West Brom match did or I hope it will is improve confidence in front of goal and I apprciate your comments re West Brom but it is the type of game we really needed.

Key player for us will be Eduardo imo.

I can see how Villa fans might be worried but I think MON will push you on again and I still have a feeling we will both qualify.

Villa lost to Everton while Arsenal beat Cardiff.
    Villa lost to Chelsea while Arsenal drew with Sunderland.
    Villa lost to CSKA while Arsenal beat Roma.
    Villa drew with Stoke and lost to City before Arsenal drew with Fulham and beat West Brom.
    Who do you think is in better form going into the run in?

In fact, you have to go back to December to find the last time Arsenal lost a game to Porto. Ironically enough, Villa and City were the last 2 teams to beat them in the league way back in November.

Now you can go on about the idealistic stuff as much as you want, but as bad as they've been playing, for a team supposedly in crisis the fookers have been picking up points while we've been throwing them away as if they were going out of fashion.

Anyway, I wont be overly negative and obviously there's still plenty of points to play for, but time is not on our side and there is no room for sentiment when it comes to the business end of the season. Truth is, I'm far less confident now than I was only 2 weeks ago.

What a difference a day makes... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Surely we're gonna make Champs League now?

And probably 3rd!

28.02.2009 17.56

Foot - in - mouth :eek:

Bump. Anyone remember a team called Aston Villa? :eek:

Hope them feckers had a real good time in Dubai, big big game on Sunday. You would have to say, a win is essential to get this CL machine moving again.

• Advertisement

back from Dubai today and Shorey and The Fonz are both straight into the reserves vs Pompey, oddly there is no sign of Freddy Bouma.

6-1 to Villa!
    goals from Lichaj, Lowry, Hoggx2, Weimann, and Gary Gardner

The Stallion was making good progress until yesterday unfortunately;

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5036357,00.html
    Aston Villa skipper Martin Laursen has suffered a setback in his bid to return to action after his knee problem. ...

Dunno if he's back for Man Utd game, need him back if we're gonna savage the season.

FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Have to beat spurs to have any chance of CL with Away games @ Manure and Liverplop to follow. I don't think we'll get 4th if I am honest...:(

Bouma & Sidders coming back to fitness also, MON says its a 3/4 day setback for Laursen, probably no point in playing him at old Trafford unless he's 100%, but jeez we need him.

Is NRC back fit now anyone? Hope the lads had a good time and got nice tans in Dubai the jammy dodgers. Better win on Sunday.

Oh yeah, Harry Redknapp = gobsheen. Not worth 50p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

olofs out of the cl :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I hate that people are thinking that anything but a victory against spurs means the end of our season. There are still plenty of games to go.

We haven't been playing well at the minute, but we have shown that on our top form we can beat the best teams in england. I'd prefere a great performance and a draw rather then a ****ty performance and a dodgy win if it means that we keep the great performances up.

shoutman wrote: »
    I hate that people are thinking that anything but a victory against spurs means the end of our season. There are still plenty of games to go.

We haven't been playing well at the minute, but we have shown that on our top form we can beat the best teams in england. I'd prefere a great performance and a draw rather then a ****ty performance and a dodgy win if it means that we keep the great performances up.

Say what? A win is what we need. End of story.
    Anyway we'll batter Spurs.

I know we need a win, but what I'm saying is we need to show some form that will inspire confidence within the team, we need Ash to do something magical or Gaby to finish a chance like a quality premiership forward would. We need to show ourselves that we deserve to be playing champions league football.

What I am trying to say is that coming away with a 1-0 victory through a dodgy peno decision might not be as good as Spurs turning up and playing brilliantly with Villa playing better then them and drawing after 90 minutes of excellent football.

What am I talking about, i'd prefere the 1-0 dodgy win, but still some inspirational football wouldn't go amiss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Villa can still get 4th, but MON has to scrap the 4-4-2 and go back to what was working. I actually wouldn't mind seeing this formation. Milner has proven to be one of our most industrious players, well able to stick the boot in and would piss all over the wayward Sidwell as a CM. It would also give us an option of creating an attack through the middle, rather than just hoof to the corners.

Friedel
    NRC----Cuellar
    Davies
    Young

Milner---Petrov---Barry
    Gabby
    Young
    Big John

• Advertisement

I know what you're saying but isn't that just for yourself? A nice bit of football?

Anyway I think we will see something different on sunday. Last season after they had a break we started playing with Ash in a free role. (Unless I've got my dates mixed up) I think we might see something unexpected on Sunday. Maybe. If not then I think we will see a refreshed side either way.
    I'm still full of optimism, seems pretty rare the last couple of weeks!

Winning games breeds confidence ;)

I'd expect to see Ashley be given free reign like this time last year, he can cause havoc in that role drifting all over the park.

Yeah I really don't care what way we play as long as we bag wins tbh. Look how well Madrid have played over the last few months, look how boring Chelsea played under Mourinho... Get the job done and defending your actions is a heck of lot more satisfying than failing and making excuses imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ive my seat for the everton game up on seat exchange if anyones interested?

its seat R6 / O / 147 in the lower north

£15

Helix wrote: »

£15

3 points in the bag so!:D

£15

Why so Helix?

just wont make it

most likely wont make the west ham game either, but ive offered my ticket to one of the lads in the office for that one

just wont make it

most likely wont make the west ham game either, but ive offered my ticket to one of the lads in the office for that one

Please don't tell me you're actually starting to believe all that draw superstition crap?

no i just cant make those games is all

flight times dont suit

• Advertisement

Probably a good thing for the villa. ;)

So is anyone else heading over on sunday? I'm getting the 12 o clock flight, heading over with the gf. If you see us say hello, you wont miss us she'll be the only person who has a jersey with Harewood on the back (its an away jersey BTW)

aye im heading over on sunday

So is anyone else heading over on sunday? I'm getting the 12 o clock flight, heading over with the gf. If you see us say hello, you wont miss us she'll be the only person who has a jersey with Harewood on the back (its an away jersey BTW)

I had a dream last night Harewood score for Villa...

Must of been dreaming of last season so.

Was due to go to Spurs game with mate, bought the extra ticket. Can't go now due to forgetting to book flights at a reasonable price and i've too much work to do. Sad times:mad:.

aye im heading over on sunday

you on the 7.40 flight?

• Advertisement

nah, midday

Where's best place to go near the ground for some pints for the 1.30 game, bearing in mind I will have a Spurs fan with me ( probably in jersey ).

no idea to be honest. dont go into any of the nearby pubs

Where's best place to go near the ground for some pints for the 1.30 game, bearing in mind I will have a Spurs fan with me ( probably in jersey ).

Well a simple solution to that is to tell your mate not to wear his jersey tbh.... or at the very least cover the thing over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

your gf is a villa fan? thats pretty hot

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement