Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Helix wrote: »
    there arent enough lols in the world for that

I'm guessing football-rumours for 500 points. That site has the best 'worst' rumours

Also the Shorey link seems to make sense a lot of sense - can see him fitting into as a MON type of player. Quick and nasty bid for £5m and have him signed by the weekend.

Also if Barry is staying, surely the de la Red rumours are most likely guff, given he is a CM. I'd have thought RB, LB, Striker, upgrade on Petrov would have all to take priority over the CM position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

sure petrov is a central midfielder, so an upgrade on him would be another central midfielder

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

all depends on if MON will play 442 or as we finished the season 4-3-1-2 with A.Young floating about, if its the latter then De La Red could make sense instead of signing a RM but i would still expect Barry to leave if he was to be signed, and a LB would also have to be signed in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Far as I'm aware Liverpool and Chelsea or someone were interested in DeLaRed at the opening of the window and Real rubbished that he was for sale. He is very highly rated there supposedly.

pool said theyre still itnerested in barry and have to raise the funds by selling

can see them waiting til deadline day before meeting our valuation tbh

deadline day is when Villa play Liverpool

still think Alonso has to leave before Liverpool will buy Barry, and I havent seen any serious links for Alonso recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Seemingly Everton are in now for Moutinho, in the old thread i said id love to see him at Villa, if Everton are in for him then Villa should go poaching he is class, a perfect replacement for GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Seemingly Everton are in now for Moutinho, in the old thread i said id love to see him at Villa, if Everton are in for him then Villa should go poaching he is class, a perfect replacement for GB.

I think Sky said it was £12 million that was rejected by Sporting from Everton. Not sure MON would top that considering Barry's future is still unclear and Sidwell was brought in.

still think Alonso has to leave before Liverpool will buy Barry, and I havent seen any serious links for Alonso recently

rafa has refered to Gerrard on numerous occassions as a his new role being that of a striker almost.

its very possible that rafa wants 4-3-3 with Keane and Gerrard playing off Torres and a midfield three of alonso,barry and mascherano.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    rafa has refered to Gerrard on numerous occassions as a his new role being that of a striker almost.

its very possible that rafa wants 4-3-3 with Keane and Gerrard playing off Torres and a midfield three of alonso,barry and mascherano.

possible but that would mean zero width suppose Babel could come off the bench etc when needed but meh. Villa need to buy now and consider if we still have Barry a bonus and nothing more, get a LB so that if Barry leaves we are not left with Baker/O'Halloran in our first team and if someone like De la Red can be signed then dont even consider the Barry situation just sign him.

... a RB would be nice too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Ha ha i cant see MON being interested, i wonder has MON seriously even heard of him. I expect this kind of player to sign for a team in the CL.

Remember for every Ronaldo there's Postiga, Viana etc...

Still no increase in numbers since the season finished and its almost August:rolleyes:
    Seriously who the fcuk is gonna play RB, unless the Barry - Finnan deal goes through, i just cant believe this problem isnt anywhere near being sorted yet.

Well Rafa has officially said that he would have to sell before buying anyone (Barry) so unless Alonso (or others pennant etc) leave the Barry is a Villa player this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Spurs in discussions with Blackburn for Bentley, so SWP Lennon or Milner ? or an other wide player now?

milner please

quite why we havent signed him yet is beyond me

cos Newcastle want 10m and he isnt a 10m player.

no more than gareth barry is an £18m player, but thats the way the market is at the moment

pay £10m for james milner, or continue woefully unbalanced down our right hand side? milner every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Villain wrote: »
    Spurs in discussions with Blackburn for Bentley, so SWP Lennon or Milner ? or an other wide player now?
    I would guess (and its only a guess) that Bentley will end up at Spurs. If SWP was to choose Pompey then I think MON will go after Milner however I agree that he aint worth anywhere near £10m.
    Helix wrote:
    quite why we havent signed him yet is beyond me
    Hmmm...quite obviously there's a lot of things about this football transfer business that is "beyond" you. Nobody knows anything outside of a few key insiders. But alas, any excuse to have a punt at O'Neill eh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Savman wrote: »
    I would guess (and its only a guess) that Bentley will end up at Spurs. If SWP was to choose Pompey then I think MON will go after Milner however I agree that he aint worth anywhere near £10m.

Scolari has said SWP is staying.

Hmmm...quite obviously there's a lot of things about this football transfer business that is "beyond" you. Nobody knows anything outside of a few key insiders. But alas, any excuse to have a punt at O'Neill eh :rolleyes:

when i think its deserved ill give out about him yeah

• Advertisement

Antithetic wrote: »
    Scolari has said SWP is staying.
    'course he did. Means nothing at the end of the day tho. If the player wants to leave he'll leave.

Unless he's been specifically told he's gonna be considered a first teamer, SWP would be an idiot for sticking around Stamford Bridge. Then again, he might be a Big Phil kinda player...

'course he did. Means nothing at the end of the day tho. If the player wants to leave he'll leave.

haha:D

tell me you see just how beautiful that sentence is coming from a Villa fan on this forum??:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Bentley having a medical this morning allegedly. At Spurs unfortunately. Fiddlesticks.

no loss in the long run

Very disappointing to think we couldn't at least match Spurs bid and get a chance to talk to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

I agree that £18m could be spent better than on bentley, problem is we won't spend it elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    haha:D

tell me you see just how beautiful that sentence is coming from a Villa fan on this forum??:p
    Jebus, you hardly need encouraging do you? :rolleyes:
    For the record, and I hope you can get this into your skull, if Barry handed in a transfer request he would have already been at Anfield. So, I stand by the statement that if a player wants to leave, he'll leave. Still tho, you don't see SWP badmouthing Scolari in a sunday morning shitrag.

Anyway, Bentley, quite obvious he's been touting for a move to Spurs so g'luck to him. Wait a minute, there's another player who wants to leave and is leaving...hmmm...perhaps despite the best efforts of Pool fans to blame Villa, Gareth Barry shoulders some of the blame for dragging out this whole saga? No actually they're right, MON is the debil and GB is a poor victim earning £43k a week at a Top 6 club. Poor guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If Villa didn't go for him I'd be somewhat surprised. I'd imagine Spurs can outbid them in terms of the club being more attractive. Spurs really are building up a special team.

we did, but wont be in any bidding war with Spurs, he is theirs now.
    “I wouldn't normally respond to individual links but as Paul Ince rightly said, we did make a bid for David Bentley.

That was some time ago and Blackburn rejected the bid - as is their prerogative.”.... “We do not intend revisiting that and we have switched out attentions to other transfer targets.”

Double Whammy Wednesday :(

Bentley goes to Spurs and Pool and Villa agree fee for Gaz?

Well 19m is a very very good price, hard to refuse really. Liverpool have made two big signings now, Keane and Barry are good but worth 40 million?

• Advertisement

Well let's wait until this is confirmed first, but yeah two club captains for £40m is a reasonable price imo.

Well I wouldn't say good value, oh and Keane wasn't captain King was.

Well at this stage I hope its true so we can move on.

My apologies, vice-captain, occasional captain so. Lot's of money but two damn good players IMO.

I'm going to just go ahead and say this, because it's been a gut feeling since the Odense game - without Barry we will not finish in European places of any description next season.

with barry we wouldnt finish in european places this season

i forsee a bit of a struggle as things stand right now

Well imo even with Barry and the current squad we wouldn't have got a top 6 place again but, there is still plenty of time for players to come in, lets see what the squad is like come end of transfer window and then predict where we might end up

best thing about that apart from the fact that we got the fee we wanted...what a fkn deal! but a quality RB in finnan too (if it happens)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's a good deal for Villa. Liverpool 'over-paid' above his value on the pitch. Villa got lots more than his value on the pitch for them.

That said, this only works out if Villa invest properly. The 2 signings so far have been good, but imo, the pace at which signings are happening isn't quick enough. If you want to get the squad ready, the signings need to be made now.

mon needs to get off his arse NOW and treat every single day from here to 31st august like transfer deadline day

if he wants a player he needs to be trying to push things through as quickly as humanly possible. closing date of registration for the uefa qualifier is monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

All 19 million needs to be spent on extra players now anyway.

never mind the 19m, he hardly put a dent in our existing transfer funds anyway

• Advertisement

Anyone here watch Boston Legal?

MON needs to pull out a rabbit pretty sharply...

I love Boston Legal.

Villa have denied any agreement for Barry been made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

I don't know if I'm happy that this deal might finally be going through or not. It's good to get an answer on it, as it's been going on for far too long, but still we're giving one of our best players to one of our closest rivals (calm down Mr Alan, whether your bestest fave team like it or not, we're looking to build on last year and that means 4th spot). If it happens we better spend that money and more on some good quality. Sidwell and Friedel (and maybe now Finnan) are grand but we need more and at least one superb player

FRESH talks are under way between Liverpool and Aston Villa to thrash out Gareth Barry’s proposed move to Anfield, the Echo understands.

Rafa Benitez has lined up England international Barry as one of the key summer targets to strengthen his squad in a bid to launch a strong Premier League title challenge in the forthcoming season.

The Midlands club have already rejected several bids by the Reds to prise their captain from Villa Park.

The Echo also understands, however, that reports that a deal has been completed are premature.

from MONs favourite paper.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/breaking-news/2008/07/30/liverpool-fc-in-fresh-talks-over-gareth-barry-100252-21435805/

Neil3030 wrote:
    I'm going to just go ahead and say this, because it's been a gut feeling since the Odense game - without Barry we will not finish in European places of any description next season.
    Helix wrote:
    with barry we wouldnt finish in european places this season

i forsee a bit of a struggle as things stand right now
    usb_panic_1.png

http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~1354618,00.html
    avfc.co.uk wrote:
    This evening, Aston Villa can announce that Gareth Barry will be staying with the club following the interest from Liverpool over recent months.
    During discussions in the past few days, a final deadline to conclude this episode was set that all parties were aware of and agreed to. This deadline has now passed and so Gareth will remain with Villa.
    Lost for words :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DarenO

Excellent news even if performs miracles in the middle of the park this season to keep himself in the shop window, Aston Villa will get the benefit of a talented player.

I'd love to see some solid progress on transfers now rather than waiting to the end of August and i think we should be casting our net wider than fringe English players with desire, we need some established internationals of quality from any country, its going to be harder this year to get into 5th spot never mind breaking into the top four.

Darren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Given the RB situation - any chance that MON will make an independent bid for Finnan?

Any word on the Shorey link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I wonder what GB's thoughts are on this statement being released. I still think he'll leave in January, thus causing more upheaval.

Im annoyed we didn't make a move for Ben Haim, for £4-5m he would of been a great signing. I guess the fact he's foreign and a good player didnt help his chances:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

usb_panic_1.png

that was pressed a long time ago

no fit left back
    2 fit center backs
    no right back
    no right sided midfielder that mon will pick
    no left side cover (barry can play it but hes better in the middle)
    1 dimensional front line

very little on the bench

and in 2 months we've brought in 2 keepers and a central midfielder

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement