Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Mr Alan wrote: »
    where have i ever said any of the above?.

I have not the time nor the will to waste time on the likes of you by researching this properly, but try here for starters... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055311525&page=143

I knew I had your smug posts blocked for a reason... I harbour a deep resentment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

wynters wrote: »
    I have not the time nor the will to waste time on the likes of you by researching this properly, but try here for starters... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055311525&page=143

I knew I had your smug posts blocked for a reason... I harbour a deep resentment.
    there is nothing in mr alans quotes slating garreth barry and iicr not many liverpool true fans slagged off barry.
    i would welcome him with open arms but not at the expense of alonso.
    maybe the pressure of fighting for fourth place is getting to ya.
    best of luck today by the way:rolleyes:

.... Jesus I despise Liverpool fans.

Rooney, Vidic and Scholes suspended for the Villa game and it looks like Berbatov injured his ankle yesterday too, and will miss the Ireland AND Villa games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

nothing there saying i didnt want BArry, in fact there was numerous posts stating how i did want Barry.

em, ok!?:confused:

god and they all speak so highly of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Rooney, Vidic and Scholes suspended for the Villa game and it looks like Berbatov injured his ankle yesterday too, and will miss the Ireland AND Villa games...

This is good news for the trip to Man Utd, very good news indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Silly.:rolleyes:

Anyway, who cares about Barry and the summer, right now its a long way off. If we miss out on CL, he will leave, you can bet your house on that. Nobody to blame but ourselves here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Look can we agree for Villa to loose today if they beat Utd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

mike65 wrote: »
    Look can we agree for Villa to loose today if they beat Utd?

No. :) 6 points from the next 2 games is all we want, not too much to ask tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Marlon Harewood, whats the story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

god and they all speak so highly of you

that's a pretty sweeping statement - though i have to agree that I find some of them worse than Man U fans with their looking down their noses attitude. But I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush.

C'MON VILLA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

mike65 wrote: »
    Marlon Harewood, whats the story?

He is the most underrated player in world football. A real 20 goal a season striker if only he is given the chance. He has it all, pace, strength, composure, beauty. He's been dubbed the English Pelé by South American commentator José Fransisco Barrera.

Shame and a surprise he didn't start in Moscow.

So.....I wonder who we'll sign in the Summer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

mon needs a punch square in the face, thatll get us out of this slump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

MON should do the honest thing and resign. Treating the UEFA cup like a mickey mouse cup was the end of Villas season, that and losing to Everton in the FA cup...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I dont have anything positive to say at all after that... i feel like this :mad: :o:(

and a bit of :confused: at how exactley the team that lost 5-0 to Liverpool is going to beat United minus Friedel

MON should do the honest thing and resign.
    As dumb as a suggestion as this really is, one wonders about what will be going thru his head after this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Do Villa fans actually want O'Neill to go??

• Advertisement

MON should do the honest thing and resign. Treating the UEFA cup like a mickey mouse cup was the end of Villas season, that and losing to Everton in the FA cup...

I dont know who you are trying to convince but we get it you dont have to keep saying the same thing about the Uefa cup.

Advice: dont poke the Villa fans right now

and MON resigning is stupid and 100% knee-Jerk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

As an Arsenal fan guys you need someone who knows how to get the best out their players in the right positions. MON used to have that mentality (Leicester City and Celtic). You should go for Avrim Grant. He is a very good manager and a man that the players will take to. imo.

monkey9 wrote: »

i wouldnt actively pursue the notion, but if he was to walk i wouldnt have too many reservations about it tbh

DenMan wrote: »
    As an Arsenal fan guys you need someone who knows how to get the best out their players in the right positions. MON used to have that mentality (Leicester City and Celtic). You should go for Avrim Grant. He is a very good manager and a man that the players will take to. imo.

agree with that tbh

Of course not, but his popularity has dwindled substantially.

DenMan wrote: »

No we shouldent go for Grant we have the man we want no Villa fan has said MON out, he is the guy that gets the most outta players imo still the same guy that managed at Celtic and Leicster lets not be knee-jerk in our reaction, get Bouma back & all the round pegs in round holes and realise that 5th is still progress but not our aim and hope our team can turn thier absolutley terrible form around soon.

• Advertisement

But taking the season as a whole, surely it's been decent. I know Villa have to get their form back, but Arsenal still have to go to Anfield and Old Trafford and have Chelsea at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

No, but I think he will. I do want him to cop himself on though.

No we shouldent go for Grant we have the man we want no Villa fan has said MON out, he is the guy that gets the most outta players imo still the same guy that managed at Celtic and Leicster lets not be knee-jerk in our reaction, get Bouma back & all the round pegs in round holes and realise that 5th is still progress but not our aim and hope our team can turn thier absolutley terrible form around soon.

mon has to stop being so stubborn and tactically childish or we'll never get out of the slump tho

4-4-2 at anfield after going through a record breaking winning streak away from home playing 4-5-1? good one martin

But taking the season as a whole, surely it's been decent. I know Villa have to get their form back, but Arsenal still have to go to Anfield and Old Trafford and have Chelsea at home.

hense why the only fan that has called for MON to resign here being a Everton fan....hmm coincidence?

I agree about MON being a stubborn so and so. He should have parked the f*cking bus at Anfield today, Liverpool hit both Man U and Real Madrid for four in the last fortnight so an open game was always gonna kill us.

I was actually thinking of getting 2 season tickets for me and the girlie for next year, not anymore though.

• Advertisement

hense why the only fan that has called for MON to resign here being a Everton fan....hmm coincidence?

Didn't know he was an Everton fan, thought he was Villa

Didn't know he was an Everton fan, thought he was Villa

the everton crest in his sig didnt give it away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

MON will not be going anywhere. That I am certain of.

I'm fairly sure what he has with Randy is more than just a good professional relationship but also a friendship.

JPA wrote: »

I'm fairly sure what he has with Randy is more than just a good professional relationship but also a friendship.

randy doesnt mess around with the firings when he needs to tho, hes meant to be a bit of a ruthless **** in the oul nfl

JPA wrote: »

Awh that's nice. We're in a freefall but at least they've both met someone special.

Any Villa fan who even suggests or entertains the idea that MON should resign needs their head examined. We're lucky to have him, and we probably wouldn't be so down about drifting from CL qualification if it wasn't for him in the first place. We finished 16th only 3 seasons ago remember... get a grip.

Bad results??? Yes. Of course they are, but the the famous 'fickle fans' thing is going into overdrive at the moment. It's pathetic. We're renowned for it in the west midlands and it's embarrassing. I'm actually losing respect for some people on here listening to what they have to say to a bit of adversity... Jokers.

That result flattered Liverpool. 2 penos, a free kick that Friedel - uncharacteristically - was badly at fault for, and a wonder volley from Riera.

We lost against possibly the most in-form team in Europe. Come on...

id like to repeat no Villa fan here has called for MON's head.

Should have parked the bus with the 451 to which the players are more suited, it was lambs to the slaughter stuff today.

id like to repeat no Villa fan here has called for MON's head.

Yep, that was me thinking X in the City was a Villa fan ( i can't see people's sigs for some reason so didnt see his Everton one

Yep, that was me thinking X in the City was a Villa fan ( i can't see people's sigs for some reason so didnt see his Everton one

yeah and id bet hed love to read the MON out discussion he would have started even though the closest we came to a Villa fan saying it was that they wouldent be too annoyed if he resigned and that was only helix :D. We all know the problems with Villa if anyone looks back through the recent pages here they will see virtually ever Villa fan at some point call for 4-5-1 / Carew to get a start / a RB at RB and a LB at LB etc... but as i said a few times we were in many ways ahead of schedule already this year and although CL is possible (Still) and we could have maybe made different decisions that in heindsight would have been better (going for it in the Uefa) id say all Villa fans are still happy with the big progress weve made at VP under MON and dont want to cast that aside just yet.

There will be knee-jerk reactions thats a given afterall we were just humbled 5-0 but sacking our coach or even contemplating it would be sure idiocy atm imo

• Advertisement

have to agree with wynters mon has done a decent job with villa yee are flying high in 5th place,and have no right to be competing for a champions league place with a small squad but yet you are.its hard to be positive after today.things didnt go villas way today and wernt 5 goals the poorer team.brilliant save from reina at 1 nil and it could have been tighter once the second went in its game over then.sometimes i do think mon is not as tactically astute as some of his peers but can get the best out of players

We'd be mad to want rid of MON, however that does not mean he will never resignif/when he thinks he's taken the club as far as he can. Whether we want it to happen or not, that day is edging closer and closer, remember this is his 3rd season now.

I'd expect him to see out the 'five year plan' but would not rule out him walking sooner if things get bad enough. He's not one for leaving while the going is bad, so in all probability he'd have to achieve something first of all whether it be CL qualification (which is unlikely) or a trophy (not gonna happen so long as he treats them with such contempt).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

That result flattered Liverpool. 2 penos, a free kick that Friedel - uncharacteristically - was badly at fault for, and a wonder volley from Riera.

We lost against possibly the most in-form team in Europe. Come on...

I pretty much agree with this. We didn't play that badly (in the first half) and created chances, but some bad mistakes at the back cost us dearly.

On the free I think we were unlucky with that one. Young was closing down in that area when he was dragged back, If he hadn't been I think he would have blocked it.

Wasn't fun to watch that match, the problem with playing 4-5-1 is that Sidwell is in brutal form at the moment, you could have Shorey at LB and Young at RB but shorey hasn't been up to it for much of this season.

Yes, shocking performance. Yes probably flattered 'Pool a little bit, but that said Villa being in fifth is not a shocking season, the only reason it would be conceived as such is because a) MON neglected the UEFA cup prioritizing the Champions League and b) We are going to be most likely in the UEFA cup again next season and have to replace Barry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

On the positive side for Villa Carew had a decent game today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

On the positive side for Villa Carew had a decent game today.
    I said it when they signed him and I'll say it again - how Lyon thought swapping Carew for Baros was a good move is beyond me. Excellent player.

Oh and good to see that it's not the Villa fans calling for O'Neill's head - as an Arsenal fan, I can tell you that while the finish to last season might have seemed like a spectacular failure, it really wasn't because that group of players overachieved in competing for the title for so long. And it's probably the same for Villa this season - you're having a shocking run but overall, there's no doubt that there's progress being made.

You just need to make sure that the team doesn't go the way of Spurs a couple of years ago after two 5th-place finishes in a row. They lost two years... and what started that? Yup, ill-advised change of manager.

Carew made a great difference today. Unlucky not to bag a goal, brought two great stops out of Reina. A world ahead of Heskey at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm not gonna go into a long-winded moan here, so I'll keep this to the point:

IF:

Laursen and Bouma can get match fit ASAP

AND:

MON drops Heskey and Gabby and plays a 4-5-1 with Carew up top.

We might have an ouside chance of finishing 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

shoutman wrote: »
    He is the most underrated player in world football. A real 20 goal a season striker if only he is given the chance. He has it all, pace, strength, composure, beauty. He's been dubbed the English Pelé by South American commentator José Fransisco Barrera.

thought it was funny seeing Harewood run up to Torres as he was walking off the pitch and ask for his jersey, like a child at Christmas he was!

oh my word. you are talking ****e, O'Neill is doing wonders at Villa & has already overtaken David "Dignity" Moyes & skies the limit for where MON can go with Villa. Moyes on the other hand peaked at Everton 4 years ago.....if anyone of the two should resign, it sure isnt MON who'll finish ahead of Moyes at a canter this year.
    That result flattered Liverpool. 2 penos, a free kick that Friedel - uncharacteristically - was badly at fault for, and a wonder volley from Riera

it really didnt....Arbeloa missed a one on one when he panicked & Gerrard missed a totally open goal. The two penos weren't lucky, they were both stone wall definate penos, find it hard how they dont really count for some reason?!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Alan I dont know what your on about, This is Mon's finest season with Villa he screwed up big time by not signing anyone (but a striker past his sell by date) and by not treating the UEFA cup with more respect that it was due.

Since Villa were dumped out of the cup at goodison they are on a freefall, the wrong way...

Everton have consistently been up in or around the top alot more than Villa in recent years

saying Moyes has peaked at Everton is just LOL really.
    Everton are just sitting beside Villa despite having a shagged squad pretty all season. We had to play for months with no fit striker in our squad, its a testiment to Moyes qualities to even have Everton in such a lofty position and saying he peaked 4 years ago is the biggest load of nonsense only a pool fan could possible say.

I think you need to dump that raffa worship picture of yours and replace it with a mirror and have a good look at it tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement