Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Yeah it is strange .Is he talking about the squad or himself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

tomred1 wrote: »
    Himself I think :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

So my Nostradamus-esque prediction on MON leaving might be correct...:P

Anyways, should be a good game sunday. very hard to call it. could go anyway, Everton are hopeful of Jo blagging a goal away from home so he would be a player Villa should keep an eye on for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

tomred1 wrote: »

The squad deffo! Think he's just making it obvious to everyone about how no CL = No Barry. Nothing we didn't know already...

I think we should at least be confident of finishing on a similar number of points with Arsenal looking at the fixtures...

Arsenal's weakened defence still have to play against the top 3. They also still have to play 3 teams scrapping for their lives to stay in the PL. The type of blood and thunder football they hate! So ANYthing could happen there!

We're a different team now with Carew up front. He has an obvious understanding with Young and Gabby and makes our whole front line look much more dangerous. If we can take close to maximum points from our remaining games against mid-table sides, which is very do-able! Arsenal WILL lose a couple of those games against the top 3... They've got CL distractions too...

It's still on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

wynters wrote: »
    Arsenal WILL lose a couple of those games against the top 3... They've got CL distractions too...

It's still on!!!

Gap of 7 points, I can still see you guys dropping points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Gap of 7 points, I can still see you guys dropping points.

+1

It's basically 7 points in 7 games, I genuinely don't see it happening to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

The advantage is with Arsenal, but yer lot have to go to Anfield & old Trafford, as well as Chelsea visiting the Emirates + cup commitments. I can see Arsenal dropping 7 from those fixtures alone.

Yeah Villa are nearly down and out, but we're going to rally at some point. Hopefully beginning Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The advantage is with Arsenal, but yer lot have to go to Anfield & old Trafford, as well as Chelsea visiting the Emirates + cup commitments. I can see Arsenal dropping 7 from those fixtures alone.

Yeah Villa are nearly down and out, but we're going to rally at some point. Hopefully beginning Sunday.

We have enough about us to take 7 points from those games too! Villa need to win and fast, otherwise we'll be more worried about Everton!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

COME ON VILLA!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Its safe to now say we're in a battle for 5th now.

Gabby is a concern for tomorrow with a virus, i dunno whether thats a good or bad thing!

This will be a tough game but we are capable of winning it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Esse85 wrote: »
    Its safe to now say we're in a battle for 5th now.

depends on what we do tomorrow, if we win we're still in the shake up for fourth

arsenal could very well lose to united, liverpool and chelsea and draw against everton

that would be 11 points dropped

^^
    Thats unlikely, but whats even more unlikely is Villa actually capitalising on that scenario and winning the next 4 in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Tomorrow is the decider. Its far from over yet. Wigan was never the game you'd have expected Arsenal to drop points. Theres 3 much more difficult games ahead for them for that.

DSB wrote: »
    Theres 3 much more difficult games ahead for them for that.

4 in fact

^^
    Thats unlikely, but whats even more unlikely is Villa actually capitalising on that scenario and winning the next 4 in a row.

yeah its unlikely, but so was the thought of us not winning a game since february

• Advertisement

History says Villa bottle when the pressure is on them.

WIgan are having a decent season, there was always a chance they could upset Arsenal. Then again im sure Steve Bruce would hate to do us a favour.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I admit, i will admit defeat in the CL race to my Arsenal supporting housemate if we dont beat Everton

History says Villa bottle when the pressure is on them.

absolutely

but one could argue that its all off now

9 points behind arsenal? on paper thats a done deal so should probably suit us to actually do something in the next few games (that is until we get close to arsenal and collapse again)

Helix wrote: »

9 points behind arsenal?

It is really 10 points.

It is really 10 points.

well, its not

its as good as 10 points, but its not really 10 points

• Advertisement

well, its not

its as good as 10 points, but its not really 10 points

I know should have said as good as, but if you manage to turnaround that goal difference than fair play you deserve a cl spot. Even if you get beaten by Everton you could still get 4th spot, the thing is I can't see Villa getting full points in the remainder of their games, at this stage of the season their are no easy games unless you are playing a mid table team with nothing to play for. The one concern I have about ourselves is the injuries we are starting to pick up at the back,
    however going forward we are looking stronger and Eduardo still has to come back. The Arshavin signing was key for us.

i dont think itll come down to goal difference, the likelihood is that arsenal will do it with points to spare

BUT

with the injuries continuing to rack up, and 4 tough games its not impossible to see them dropping the 11 points i mentioned earlier (not saying its likely, but its certainly possible), and that could well bring the goal difference into play, essentially meaning villa have to win every remaining game

i dont think itll come down to goal difference, the likelihood is that arsenal will do it with points to spare

BUT

with the injuries continuing to rack up, and 4 tough games its not impossible to see them dropping the 11 points i mentioned earlier (not saying its likely, but its certainly possible), and that could well bring the goal difference into play, essentially meaning villa have to win every remaining game

True, Arsenal don't play next week, so you could have it down to 3/4 points which would make things more interesting.

I think it will be an interesting Summer at Villa, MON will have funds to spend, will be very interesting to see how he spends it and if you can hang onto Barry.

if you can hang onto Barry.

id rather we didnt tbh

mon wont buy a first team central midfielder unless barry leaves, and its what we're absolutely crying out for all year

petrov and barry have very little creativity between them, and if i had a choice of who to take in the holding role itd be petrov every time. get barry out, take a few quid for him and go buy someone with a bit of flair who can unlock defences

Any ideas what the team will be:

Id imagine same as last time if Gabby is fit, with Knight replacing Cuellar if he's injured.

aye id imagine the same lineup as sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

petrov and barry have very little creativity between them, and if i had a choice of who to take in the holding role itd be petrov every time. get barry out, take a few quid for him and go buy someone with a bit of flair who can unlock defences

you won't get very much for the €50 we'll likely offer in the summer ;)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    you won't get very much for the €50 we'll likely offer in the summer ;)

we'll get the warm fuzzy feeling that he wont be in a scouse jersey if thats all youll offer

ah no, i'm sure it'll be more than €50, i'd imagine around 5m or something, which with one year left and your manager being resigned to the fact he'll be leaving with CL football, i reckon would be accepted.

ah no, i'm sure it'll be more than €50, i'd imagine around 5m or something, which with one year left and your manager being resigned to the fact he'll be leaving with CL football, i reckon would be accepted.

i wouldnt imagine so

mon will have his valuation of the player and he wont budge on it... again

• Advertisement

what you reckon his valuation will be in all honesty?

£8m id say

hmmmm, call it 6.5 & you have a deal......

ill be very very very surprised if we took anything under the 8

for that reason,

......i'm out.

hmmmm, call it 6.5 & you have a deal......

thats what rafa will say then like last year MON will say no you heard our price and we will see what happens again

I hope Rafa likes Dragons Den.

There'll be a bit more power with whatever clubs are in for Barry this year i think as MON & Villa won't wanna let Barry go for nothing & I think will feel that with the year extra Barry has given them they'd have to let him go if they got a reasonable offer-thats the impression i got from MON when he was speaking about it recently.

depends on your interpretation of a reasonably offer i would think Villa would say no to a 5m offer for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I hope Rafa likes Dragons Den.

There'll be a bit more power with whatever clubs are in for Barry this year i think as MON & Villa won't wanna let Barry go for nothing & I think will feel that with the year extra Barry has given them they'd have to let him go if they got a reasonable offer-thats the impression i got from MON when he was speaking about it recently.

Barry didn't really choose to stay the extra year though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

well i have a good feeling bout today (also said that to my mate last night b4 the bohs game and they won 3-0) so lets hope iam right this weekend still hope we get 4th spot ahead of arsenal. be great for the villa to get champions league games at villa park. if the atmosphere at the uefa cup games were anything to go by it be great to go to a few home games if we do qualify. we can still do it but if we slip up against everton today we end up 5th at least. still uefa football next year isnt to bad but we would all prefer the cl to the europa cup any day.
    lets all get behind the team. no negative comments till end of season.

UP THE VILLA

Just watched MON interview on Setanta, in fairness the interviewer grilled him on all the awkward questions and one thing dawned on me, similar to the Barrygate episode last summer: MON is a better manager when he's up against it. Really a fierce temperament on him.

I expect the players to have a 'siege mentality' today and beat Everton convincingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

stream anyone trying to avoid the pub!

Savman wrote: »
    Just watched MON interview on Setanta, in fairness the interviewer grilled him on all the awkward questions and one thing dawned on me, similar to the Barrygate episode last summer: MON is a better manager when he's up against it. Really a fierce temperament on him.

I expect the players to have a 'siege mentality' today and beat Everton convincingly.
    :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

come on man making rolleye comments 30mins into the everton game, (the game has changed since then eh) hope that comes back to bite you on the ass, its not neccessary at least wait till full time before deciding if your gonna come into the villa thread and make fun of peoples prior opinions and gloat

It's official: AVFC is bad for your health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Great game for entertainment value but again not good on the ol' ticker. I thought Villa were muck at the back again, Laursen's absence has had a huge impact on the team and Davis and Knight don't exactly breath confidence at the back and Cuellar looks like he needs more time to settle.

It's a shame the season has petered out but finishing 5th (if we can hold Everton off) is still a a great achievement and hopefully Villa can finish the season strongly and lay the foundations for next season. No doubt about it, it's going to be a big summer for MON because the weight of expectations is firmly on his shoulders now.

Where to begin. Carew is a one man mountain. Gabby was poor poor poor. Petrov and Barry do play well in CM but I think we're still very lightweight in that dept.

Zat Knight was Zat Knight, but Davies was ropey. £8.5m????

I think questions have to be asked of some of MON's signings tbh.

Today is definitely one point gained rather than 2pts dropped, we never looked like we deserved to win it and going 2 goals behind twice you're just thanking your lucky stars you have the 3 or 4 players to bail you out.

I'd be confident of holding onto 5th now that the rot has been stopped, but defo feel short changed with MON's decisions this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

but defo feel short changed with MON's decisions this season.

I think most Villa fans do. I think the turning point came when he fielded a weakened team in Moscow in the UEFA Cup. We had a real chance of doing well in that competition and even though it is no Champions League, it is still a prestigious internally recognized tournament and treating like the Carling Cup was naive of MON especially considering it's one of the only piece f silver wear we haven't picks up & haven't competed at that level for the best part of a decade. Will he do the same in the UEFA Europa League next season? If so then what's the point?

Raekwon wrote: »
    If so then what's the point?
    To think I actually contemplated, briefly, making that trip over to Moscow. Even looked into flights and visa info etc etc.

Anyway no point lingering on the UEFA, x in the city will be along soon to remind us that MON is suffering karma and is going to hell yadda yadda yadda.

Europa '10 here we come :(

To think I actually contemplated, briefly, making that trip over to Moscow. Even looked into flights and visa info etc etc.

Anyway no point lingering on the UEFA, x in the city will be along soon to remind us that MON is suffering karma and is going to hell yadda yadda yadda.

Europa '10 here we come :(

LOL

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement