Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Super goal from Heskey:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

**** me the defence looks dodgy :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

so nice to see Villa leading a match again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Any other links?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

It's on setanta ireland if you have that

Decent start so far, another goal would be nice though. No short of chances.

Heskey you plank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Are villa playing one to eleven, or with squad numbers?

Des wrote: »
    Are villa playing one to eleven, or with squad numbers?

I think it's one to eleven, because of the shirt change before the game.

You'll also be happy that there was a foul throw given in the game :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

matrim wrote: »
    I think it's one to eleven, because of the shirt change before the game.
    thanks
    matrim wrote: »
    You'll also be happy that there was a foul throw given in the game :)

Did you have a different name before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Good game to watch although i still see it being 1-1. what kitman eejits are employed by WH? don't they know when they come to the home of the Claret & Blue they have to change?

Who are the new defenders that are going to come in this summer? :(

Des wrote: »
    thanks

Did you have a different name before?

No. Was always matrim

A clean sheet would be brilliant, im not confident though.

Another goal now please.

Jesus, how did WH not score there!

Fcuking hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Same fcuking **** every week :rolleyes:

Twas pure and utter domination and all.

• Advertisement

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

5/17 home wins so far. Pathetic.

Im so sick of MON and his rubbish signings right now.

Seriously, get rid of those jokes and start a new defence from scratch. Nothing without Laursen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Really is brutal, 3 points from a possible 33.

The last half hour when we were one nil up it was as if we were playing with a 4-0 lead, nobody tracking back nobody putting the effort in.

Barry and Petrov were the notable exceptions.

Nickey Shorey looked like a bad championship player today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

what happened?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    what happened?
    The same thing that happened ye during the week, we drew and it wasnt good enough.

If we could defend without Laursen we would be dangerous. i feel like i did after the stoke game again, we were better but threw away a lead and instead any Villa fans who still thought there was a glimmer of hope at catching Arsenal now know better. There were positives today but after the last half hour its hard to focus on them atm

I fear a similar investment to last year will have to be made again in playing staff if we are going to continue trying to improve season on season as we have since MON/Lerner have arrived.

I really miss Martin Laursen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Imagine for a minute if we had a back line of Mellberg Laursen Cuellar Bouma all fit and playing well, dreams....

Similar investment will be needed, unfortunately a few of MON's past signings have been poor to drastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

4-4-2 is rare in the modern game and without a pure defensive midfielder which Petrov is not, you'll be in trouble. NRC must have done something bad.

• Advertisement

tbh ive never been too critical of MONs signings but excluding max a winger and rb I think he now needs to 100% focus on bringing in players to go straight into the first team instead of strenghten the squad. A lot will depend on Laursens retirement decision too, as if he leaves we will def need a first class CB signing (we may need to get a CB anyway incase) aswell as having to possibly replace Barry and thats before even looking to improve the squad.

Lerner would have every right to tell MON he's not getting a big purse to spend this summer. History has proved he wastes millions on donkeys.

The amount of money he's had to spend is crazy compared to David Moyes, yet compare both squads.
    When A.Young doesnt perform(which he hasnt since he's been sent off) it's hard to see where the goals will come from. The defense was shocking today but the attack was just as bad in not taking their chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

The Toffees will nail on 5th at the way Villa are playing lately id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Esse, you might be quite surprised if you check out Dignity Daves spending while he has been at Everton. He has had cash & made some awful buys.

O'Neill is doing good work at Villa, as much as i don't like the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Man that was irritating, but promising in that a decent overhaul to our defense should see a drastic improvement. Barry is clearly playing out of his skin as he knows he's in the shop window, but as I've said before, in Petrov, both Youngs, Friedel, Milner and Carew we have the backbone of a solid team to kick on next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Esse, you might be quite surprised if you check out Dignity Daves spending while he has been at Everton. He has had cash & made some awful buys.

O'Neill is doing good work at Villa, as much as i don't like the man.

The awful buys from Moyes are few and far between, the only real lemon was that per kolrup guy.

Lescott/Cahill/Jags/Arteta have been astounding signings, Cahill probably the best signing by any manager in the last decade.

• Advertisement

Esse85 wrote: »
    Lerner would have every right to tell MON he's not getting a big purse to spend this summer. History has proved he wastes millions on donkeys.

Not really, if he doesn't trust O'Neill he should sack him. Personally I trust him for the job, and I reckon if we don't let too many of our first team squad go, sell on Osbourne, Salifou, Gardner, Harewood, and Knight, plus Barry if he wants to go, sign in an attacking centre midfielder with a bit of flair like what the Everton lads have, give our defense a complete revamp using the players we already have as squad players, and stick with our strikers, giving the Fonzy more first team opportunities, then progress can start to be made, the problem with this season was there really wasn't that much progress in regards the team. Milner was probably the only signing this season that really improved the standard of the team, as opposed to just giving us more options.

It seems so clear to everyone that Petrov and Barry are too lightweight to play in a 442, yet MON doesnt see this. I know 451 at home is a little negative but id really like to see this for the remainder of the season.

Friedal

Young
    Cuellar
    Davies
    Shorey
    -NRC
    Petrov
    Barry
    Milner
    Young
    Carew

No doubt Heskey will start every game now though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

DSB wrote: »
    sell on Osbourne, Salifou, Gardner, Harewood, and Knight, plus Barry if he wants to go

thatd mean we'd be looking to bring in 10 players to increase the squad depth to a decent level

Esse85 wrote: »

Friedal

Young
    Cuellar
    Davies
    Shorey
    -NRC
    Petrov
    Barry
    Milner
    Young
    Carew

id play something similar, but push nrc into barrys position, put barry on the left wing and play ash behind carew

itd be worth a shot and itd let us know if youngy can do a job in there. if he can, then he could be barrys replacement and we can buy a left winger instead

We don't need an overhaul IMO. We just need the players to step it up which I believe they can. Leadership and confidence is what is lacking.
    The leadership of Laursen and the lack of confidence from a winless run.

If Laursen is gone, we need a big signing to replace him. Who that is, I don't know. But he needs to be a leader.

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    id play something similar, but push nrc into barrys position, put barry on the left wing and play ash behind carew

itd be worth a shot and itd let us know if youngy can do a job in there. if he can, then he could be barrys replacement and we can buy a left winger instead

Since when is Barry's position behind the striker?

JPA wrote: »
    Since when is Barry's position behind the striker?

since when did i say it was?

when barry goes we need a new midfielder, preferably a creative one who can open things up to replace him. if young can play in the hole, then he'll save us spending on a barry replacement because we can reshuffle with what we have already and focus firming up the defence and bringing in a left winger instead

since when did i say it was?

when barry goes we need a new midfielder, preferably a creative one who can open things up to replace him. if young can play in the hole, then he'll save us spending on a barry replacement because we can reshuffle with what we have already and focus firming up the defence and bringing in a left winger instead

Fair enough so. No guarantee Barry will leave though.

i agree, most likely because i cant see a huge amount of teams knocking our door down for him

still think hes ready made for arsenal

i agree, most likely because i cant see a huge amount of teams knocking our door down for him

still think hes ready made for arsenal

You might but Arsene doesn't if you read his interview recently where he said alonso or Barry would have killed his youngsters.

thatd mean we'd be looking to bring in 10 players to increase the squad depth to a decent level

The players I've mentioned bar Barry and possibly Knight aren't good enough to be even squad players in a side that wants to challenge for CL football. If 10 players its whats needed to sort the squad out, then Lerner needs to open the chequebook and O'Neill needs to go get them, otherwise we should have been taking the EURO Cup seriously in the first place.

yeah but lets be honest, would you trust mon to bring in 10 players in the summer? would lerner trust mon to bring in 10 players in the summer?

right about now poor randy must be wondering why the bloody hell that back 5 cost him over £30m

I think there are 2 main problems with out defense.

1. Neither Davies or Culleur are leaders. They are good defenders but not the type to step up and attack the ball when needed. You need at least 1 player like that in your central pairing

2. Not enough support from midfield. We give teams too much time to pick up the ball outside our box and pick a pass. We also don't seem to close down runners from midfield enough.

yeah but lets be honest, would you trust mon to bring in 10 players in the summer? would lerner trust mon to bring in 10 players in the summer?

right about now poor randy must be wondering why the bloody hell that back 5 cost him over £30m

If Lerner doesn't have the confidence, he knows what to do. I've grown gradually more confident in O'Neill's transfer prowess. He has consistently made the club a more attractive prospect for players to join so thats massive in itself.

DSB wrote: »
    I've grown gradually more confident in O'Neill's transfer prowess.

i had somewhat, but their performances have been very very disappointing

friedel: not the keeper he used to be
    shorey: improving, but nowhere up to first team standard
    young: cant really argue with his signing, hes been brilliant
    cuellar: played out of position for most of the season, now looks like he cant remember how to play center back
    davies: back to looking like a pub player
    milner: cant fault that one
    heskey: dont rate the lump in the slightest. his signing forced a change to our system which played a part in a sub par run
    guzan: looks like he'll be a good signing in a few years to come
    sidwell: has looked absolutely dreadful

now, thats 9 players signed since the end of last season with a lot of money spent, and only 2 of them who have performed to any sort of level that would have you not considering replacements again this summer

thats not good enough

hopefully its just a case of adjusting for them all, but i suspect there might be more to it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement