Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a club or society. "Ghostsoc!"

Options
  • 14-07-2008 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Hey cant seem to find details online on how to set up a club or society. Would love to get one going. The Paranormal Society . I know there was an attempt to set one up a while back but as far as I know it fell through. Anyone interested in getting on board with this?

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Oh you and your ghosts.
    Email/ring Richard Butler for details on how to set one up, it's a pain in the arse though, don't you have enough on your plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

If you do a search on boards.ie you can find it how to go about it. The truth is out there (I feel so ashamed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

If there's something strange, in your lecture hall?
    Who y'gonna call - the Ghost-soc!

An invisible man, at your 9am.
    Who y'gonna call - the Ghost-Soc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Thanks guys.

@PM: Ill only have enough on my plate when Im dead !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

booooo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Grimes wrote: »
    Hey cant seem to find details online on how to set up a club or society. Would love to get one going. The Paranormal Society . I know there was an attempt to set one up a while back but as far as I know it fell through. Anyone interested in getting on board with this?

G

You need signatures and student numbers (I think 30) of current UCD students who support such a society.

You need to submit some paperwork to recognition saying what you're all about, why your niche isn't covered by existing socs, how you plan to run, what you plan to run.

You need to submit said stuff to Richard Butler or Liz in d'office, can't remember which, and then the application goes before a meeting of the Recognition Committee. Dunno if there'll be one before Fresher's Week but you should get your shtuff together pronto in the hopes that there is. Most of the stuff you can copy from the standard rulebook most societies take on anyway. Go into the forum office and ask about it. If it's not helpful, it'll at least be funny :).

You have to get yourself a senior treasurer and stuff. It's a right pain tbh, but good luck with it. Give me a shout if you need anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Wait, there's a committee that approves societies? If that's the case how did the "Assassins" society get passed? 18-20 year olds running around with plastic guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

That was a game Gamesoc were running.

Well, one of those things came into a lecture and announced it to be a society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

UCD_Econ wrote: »

One of those things? Maybe if you get off your high horse you might be able to see it for the carefree fun it was you pretentious git.

And so this isn't a troll I'd totally join a Ghostsoc, best of luck with the setting up Grimes.

Ahh, I touched a nerve. I don't need my horse to see that it's silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Actually, that was a member of Gamesoc who announced that sign-ups for the assassins game was going on at that stage. It was probably Zounds, he's about somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Are you refering to people as "things"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Ahh, I touched a nerve. I don't need my horse to see that it's silly.

Live and let live tbh. You don't have to be a gamer to see that Gamesoc is one of the most active societies in UCD and actually lecture addresses to get more people involved. Referring to people as 'things' is really offensive.

Actually, 'thing' is just an interchangeable word that's ambiguous in its description. You can switch it to 'Assassin member person' if you so wish.

I just had a funny image in my mind of a committee with like five people at an 'advanced stage of life' asking what niche an assassin's society would fulfil. Maybe it was just because I was watching Dragons Den at the time :rolleyes:

Actually, 'thing' is just an interchangeable word that's ambiguous in its description.
    No, to describe someone as "one of those things" is offensive. If you don't realise that you're socially stunted.

And Im not taking this personally, Im not a member of game soc nor did I have anything to do with the assassins game. There seems to be more personal abuse than normal floating around this forum...

It's offensive you to, apparently. What is offensive to you isn't universally offensive. I'll change one of those 'things' to this for your pleasure:

An assassin's member with a black fedora and long jacket, who once told me that a girl's hair would burn really easily, who also once explained to me that he punched a bin because he wanted to see if it would spin, came into Th. L with a plastic gun and announced the "Assassin's society". That's about as unambiguous as I can get. I could also give his initials if you would like.

As an aside, I would classify 'pretentious git' and 'socially stunted' as personal abuse. But I don't take offense because socially stunted doesn't make sense. Socially inept might have been better. The irony of your post is amusing ;)

Socially inept would mean you have no social skills, socially stunted means that your skills are incomplete / underdeveloped / need improvement.

Id consider calling someone a pretentious git PA.

In general referring to a person as a thing is considered disrespectful, referring to someone as "one of those things" has contemptuous undertones; it sounds incredibly pretentious and insulting. It also could be inferred that you think all gamesoc members are weirdos.

Nobody is doubting that you'd heard someone make an announcement, but your description of the fellow leaves no doubt whatsoever that you wanted to insult him; that you believe him to be a weirdo.

Now, I dont know the person, but isnt it more than strange that people who read your post could tell you looked down on the person in question yet you maintain that there was nothing in your use of language that implied such?

Are we all just psychic? :rolleyes:

Its childish to try and maintain that "one of those things" is an acceptable and normal phrase to describe a person.

Socially inept would mean you have no social skills, socially stunted means that your skills are incomplete / underdeveloped / need improvement.
    I don’t really want to get into an argument about the use of English.

In general referring to a person as a thing is considered disrespectful, referring to someone as "one of those things" has contemptuous undertones; it sounds incredibly pretentious and insulting. It also kindof implies that you think all gamesoc members are weirdos.
    That wasn’t the intention. Mainly because I have no idea who gamesoc are nor do I care if I am being honest. Don’t try to interpret my words in the wrong way. ‘Thing’ is unspecified and ambiguous word. The whole point of the word is not to be specific. If you don’t know the real meaning of the word that’s not my problem. Kind of like how people use the word ignorant incorrectly.
    Nobody was ever doubting that you'd heard someone make an announcement, but your description of the fellow leaves no doubt whatsoever that wanted to insult him; that you believe him to be a weirdo.
    Actually I never made my opinion of him known. You read my description and made your own judgement about him. Your assumption is wrong just for the record. I consider a ‘weirdo’ to be someone who frantically clicks their fingers in the middle of an exam and lobs a pen at an invigilator because they want a replacement.
    Now, I dont know the person, but isnt it more than strange that people who read your post could tell you looked down on the person in question yet you maintain that there was nothing in the use of the word that would imply that?
    I’ve noticed that you like to go on for pages arguing the same point over and over. Not judging your or anything on that ;) But offense (specifically malicious offense) wasn’t intended to any of them. I was trying to make a point of clearing up ambiguity that you took offense to by being as specific as possible. I think it’s funny how you can gauge everyone who will read a post’s opinion. Do you think you’re the moral compass of a forum?

‘There’s too many insults’, use the report button if you really don’t like it.
    Are we all just psychic? :rolleyes:
    Don’t know. Can I have the lotto numbers? :cool:

Its childish to try and maintain that "one of those things" is an acceptable and normal phrase to describe a person.
    It was an off the cuff description. Not a thought out plan to insult him/them. I just wasn’t bothered to try to think of the correct term. Thing = member of assassin’s game/society or whatever it is. Just as if I said he was one of those people, someone from that society. All ambiguous, none specific. Hardly a reason to make an Aung San Suu Kyi style protest, especially if you’re not a member. Ernie Ball only has a few days left to go, you can argue about the world when he gets back.

Just to clarify: I wasn’t purposefully trying to insult them. I just found the idea of trying to explain to someone what the ‘niche’ of an Assassin’s society would be amusing. If people misinterpreted my intention then I apologise.

Grimes: No need to delete your post. If you find it irritating then that’s fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Thread locked.

Grow up all of you. Take it to PM if you must go wildly off topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement