Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGCE UK or Hdip in Ireland

• 14-07-2008 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi folks ,

I have been offered a place on a PGCE in London to start in September . I have been thinking however that it may be more beneficial to do the Hdip in Ireland . I am planning on working in Ireland so surely this course would be more geared toward the Irish syllabus .An upside of the PGCE is that it is a whole 9 months shorter .

Obviously Irish wouldnt be part of the PGCE course . I am wondering how British trained teachers deal with that when it comes to getting jobs etc .

Another factor is that if I give up my place on the PGCE I may not even get onto the H Dip in Ireland. I hear competition is very high .Maybe I should be happy to have some offer and take it . I am a guy with lots of experience so that may go in my favour for the Hdip interview .

I was wondering if anybody who has done either course could give their opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 barnmouse

Hi, I did a primary PGCE and it was fantastic. UK teaching methods are cutting edge and it's great to be only out of the workforce for 10 months - much cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 smiles22

hi I say go for it in UK if you've bn offered a plc, Ireland is very competitive for places and there's no guarantee you'll get a place within the next two yr's. My two friends r heading to Scotland n from the research they've done there is a lot more practical work and interaction in that course which will have to stand to you when you return, plus its way shorter (maybe more intensive) n no fee's... go 4 it!!:D

Advertisement