Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me decide what I need

• 14-07-2008 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

I've had a mixed bag of success when trying surround sound - all creative audio speakers, which I'll admit is probably not the way to go. I have an Xbox360 (component), PS3 (HDMI), HTPC (HDMI) and SkyHD (HDMI) which I want all connected to a surround sound system.

The problem is, Im not really upto speed on the whole amplifier, surround sound thing. The closest I've come to so far is an Onyoko 606 - but i dont know.

So can someone help me find a system to finally get some decent surround going on here. any suggestions for decent (but not insanely priced) speakers would be nice. I refuse to pay over 1,000 eur, and optimally want the entire lot to be much cheaper.

so heres a summary:

room is 12ft x 12ft (approx), wood floor
    must connect 3 HDMI and 1 component sources

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

The essential piece of kit you need is an AV receiver capable of taking in 3 HDMI inputs - the Onkyo TXSR 506 will do the job and you can get it for about €360, or up to the 606 which is capable of decoding the new HD sound formats for €500 - a plus if you're using the PS3 or HTPC for BluRay or HD DVD.

For a speaker package, the Mordaunt Short Avant Premiere would do the job nicely for €400, leaving you well within your €1000 budget, or if you need something more living room friendly you could opt for the KEF KHT 2005.2 at about €400.

Going for either setup is well worth the money, imo.

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

I've been looking into this more, and im still a bit undecided. Part of the problem is i cant find a single place that sells the KEF KHT 2005.2 anywhere near €400. Peats have it at nearly 900Eur :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

Kef KHT2005.2 Silver (5.1 speaker package) on richersounds for 400 sterling

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=KEF-KHT2005.2-SIL

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Kef KHT2005.2 Silver (5.1 speaker package) on richersounds for 400 sterling

.....indeed it is, my mistake.......... but combined with the Onkyo 506 it would come to about €860 still well under €1000, and I'd say with a bit of persuasion you could get a deal right on budget for the 606 and the 2005.2.

Lots of options.....

Ritz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

Just came back from Harvey Normans having put a deposit on this lot:

TX-SR606S_front.jpg
    Onkyo TX-SRX606

120931;jsessionid=8F7DE85789C6DE1CA54FFA9F0CECB2DB
    Jamo S506HCS6

All came in at about 1700eur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

My exact set-up

You wont be dissappointed

I know where you could of got it cheaper:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sofireland

Looks like a nice setup there.
    Kev where'd you see it cheaper?

Advertisement