Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF13 no longer a ps3 exclusive

Options
  • 14-07-2008 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.e3.net/

damn microsoft.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Fony Tenton

Oh can you not play it now or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Typically, the ps3 seems to get the raw end of the deal with regards multi format releases.

I never feel a game is done the bets it could be when there are multiformat issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Wow, that's out of the blue.

FFXIII was one of the main reasons that I was gonna invest in an PS3 soon...

Not so sure now.

Yeah, Illl still get it though. Whats next, Halo 4 a ps3 exclusive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Doesn't help the fact that the franchise has took a nose dive and this looks to continue the trend.

I hope they make MGS 4 multi-format, only reason I want a PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

noodler wrote: »
    Yeah, Illl still get it though. Whats next, Halo 4 a ps3 exclusive?

Doubtfull, Since Microsoft own Bungie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Doubtfull, Since Microsoft own Bungie.

Not since October 07 holmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,970 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Meh, Final Fantasy will forever been a Nintendo exlusive ;)

Like many others, it and MGS4 were the main reasons I wanted a ps3. Not too sure now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

It was one of the main reasons I got a PS3. Good thing it being multiplatform hasn't magically stopped me from getting it!

Bit of a surprise alright but no big deal really. It was the last big third party exclusive on either side. MS and Sony are both dependant on first and second party stuff these days, that's how the market is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

They do not understand. They do not know why we wage this war. Why we will fight, and fight and fight... Until we win... Or we die... And we are not dead yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

But steviec, wouldn't Sony have been heavily dependant on FF13 being a console-seller? and then by extension, an even bigger consumerbase to sell other games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

SofaK wrote: »
    But steviec, wouldn't Sony have been heavily dependant on FF13 being a console-seller? and then by extension, an even bigger consumerbase to sell other games too.

I know a lot of people that bought the PS3 just for FF13 or MGS4...i just hope that the PS3 has more games coming out that will save it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

It doesn't matter anymore (unless you're a Sony shareholder)

Both consoles have a big enough install base that no third party can ignore either of them.

FFXIII has gone multiplatform, and xbox exclusives such as Bioshock and Saint's Row are having their sequels come to PS3 too. Third party exclusives just aren't happening anymore so you're fine no matter what console you own.

The only major exclusives now are the first party ones and Sony are doing just fine, they'll have plenty to show tomorrow.

The PS3 doesn't need saving - all the games people bought it for are still coming to it, and so are many others. The 360 just happens to be getting some of them also, it's really not a big deal.

Same time multi format releases remind me of ..*shudder*...EA games.

I would rather there be exclusives on both sides then crap mult format efforts but we shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

The Xbox version will be ported after the PS3 vesion is finished been made and will probably ship with lots of discs but I dont care, im just happy to be getting the damn game.
    Achievement Unlocked 30G
    Finished Disc 8 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

steviec wrote: »
    It was one of the main reasons I got a PS3. Good thing it being multiplatform hasn't magically stopped me from getting it!

Bit of a surprise alright but no big deal really. It was the last big third party exclusive on either side. MS and Sony are both dependant on first and second party stuff these days, that's how the market is.

Emm, Gears of War 2 is an exclusive and 3rd Party? Thats just one of the big ones, there are plenty more.

Well lets be fair, Playstation has always had a better selection of games and plenty of exclusives as well. If the amount of ppl who buys it doubles I'd be happy enough.

Maybe therell be plenty of Xboxers converted to the way of the Fantasy..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

noodler wrote:
    Well lets be fair, Playstation has always had a better selection of games and plenty of exclusives as well. If the amount of ppl who buys it doubles I'd be happy enough.

Be fair to who? Made Up Facts Inc.?

The XBox is not a game, that comparison makes no sense.

When's the series coming back to pc? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I can't believe this? Didn't Square Enix initially stop making FF games for Nintendo because Nintendo refused to move over quick enough to a CD based console, which is why they chose Sony who had the PS1 at the time, they needed the added storage space for lengthy cut scenes.

I thought now with the PS3 it would definitely be tied to it as the PS3 has bluray whereas the 360 is still on DVD. If it does get released for the 360 I can see there being like 10 discs needed for the 360 version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Seifer wrote: »

Whens it coming back to Nintendo? This silly lovers tiff has gone on long enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Whens it coming back to Nintendo? This silly lovers tiff has gone on long enough!

Its Nintendo's own fault, they should of just let Sony make the CD attachment for the SNES instead of just dropping them like a wet rag to continue using the dated cartridge technology. Square needed more storage and Nintendo refused to give it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's fairly obvious isn't it? FFXIII won't sell enough on the PS3 alone and given the huge software attach rate of the 360, it makes financial sense. I still expect a similar announcement from Konami regarding MGS4.

With the continuing success of the 360 and Wii, the console market is fragmented and third party exclusives are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Seifer wrote: »
    Be fair to who? Made Up Facts Inc.?

Do you really want to dispute that the PS2 had a bigger AND better selection of games than the Xbox? Sighs if you do.

I said if ppl who own Xboxs buy it, then ostensibly they may (up to) double their sales of the game.

What is so hard to undertsand there?

Funny it happens at a time when PS3 is starting to outsell the 360 (ratewise-Im not saying there have been more ps3s sold than 360s)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In fairness that was only last month when the PS3's biggest game to date was launched while pretty much nothing of interest came out on the Xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

I foolishly own both consoles and I have to say im delighted by this news as the more people that get to play a game they want to play the better.

I bought a ps3 about a year ago for metal gear solid 4 and i dont regret it all and if they release metal gear for the 360 this year I wont care cause it wont make my enjoyment of it any less.

This generation the consoles are far to similar in terms of their capabilitys (360, PS3)

games are costing to much to make these days for a developer to limit have its consumer base plus its a kick in the teeth to one set of the console fanboys and hopefully the other half will get the same.

noodler wrote:
    Do you really want to dispute that the PS2 had a bigger AND better selection of games than the Xbox?
    No, I don't want to dispute it as there is no right answer. I'm just pointing out to you that your subjective opinion is not fact.
    Seifer wrote:
    Refers to:
    noodler wrote:

I still don't understand what you are getting at with your last bit. I am a massive FF fan, so I am saying, despite my Sony bias, that I'd be happy for the game to reach a wider audience.

What comparison do you mean?

And, come on, the number of ps2 game available positively dwarfs the original xbox. It had more good games by sheer volume. I doubt it is subjective.

If we list good games on each system, you would run out of Xbox games (not just good one) whilst I am still on my ps2 list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Square Enix haven't had "it" for a while so I am not as enthused about FFXIII as I was about the other installments. However, I will still be giving this a look when it arrives.

TBH I can see the logic. Make more money on two consoles than one. I don't mind that. What I would mind is the added quality being sacrificed to accommodate both consoles varied architectures. I always prefer when titles are for one platform, not because of fanboi-ism but purely because, if a game is made for one console, it tends to mean it gets the most out of the hardware.

Take Shadow of the Colossus - could it have been released on the XBox? I believe so but to get the same out of it, it would have had to be developed separately so as to make the most of that specific hardware.

All in all, I don't mind if it is multi-platform after hearing that the port will be made after.

Off-topic slightly, but how many games are done well on multi-platforms?

I guess the Pro-Evos were okay when they started being made for Xbox.

• Advertisement

I quoted what I am refering to directly.
    If in the above quote you said "Maybe therell be plenty of [some xbox exclusive rpg]ers converted to the way of the Fantasy.." then it would at least make logical sense.
    noodler wrote:
    Off-topic slightly, but how many games are done well on multi-platforms?
    GTA and CoD4 spring to mind as recent titles. There are probably lots more. Tbh, it depends a lot on the developer. If they're willing to put the effort in they can make a game work really well on all platforms. If they're lazy it'll be buggy and not fun to play.

Advertisement