Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF13 no longer a ps3 exclusive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

"Maybe therell be plenty of Xboxers converted to the way of the Fantasy.."

Is what I said. As in many Xbox owners may get to try their first FF game cos of this move. I know, it is not perfect English if that is what you mean. Otherwise I don't see how you didn't get that!

Anyway. Grammar aside, I assume they have been working on the 360 version for yonks, they just better not sacrifice the quality of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

mcgovern wrote: »
    Emm, Gears of War 2 is an exclusive and 3rd Party? Thats just one of the big ones, there are plenty more.

No it isn't, it's published by Microsoft. Just like Resistance or Uncharted, they're also from independant developers but they're published by Sony.

The last major real third party exclusive on 360 was Bioshock, and that was simply because the PS3 wasn't around yet when they began development. As can be seen by the fact they're now doing a PS3 port, and Bioshock 2 will be multiplatform. The same goes for Bizarre Creations next racing game (Microsoft own the Project Gotham name but the devs have moved on), the likes of Dead Rising and Lost Planet will certainly be multiplatform when they get sequels.

The only third party exclusives these days are the ones from developers who are too small to stretch themselves, like that Ferrari game that came out on PS3 recently or things like Two Worlds on 360.

For any big budget game, it's simply not worth a developers while to only release on one console, so the only time you'll see an exclusive is when the platform holder directly pays for it, and I'd rather see MS and Sony spend their money on developing first party games rather than spending it on stopping ports of games being released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Its Nintendo's own fault, they should of just let Sony make the CD attachment for the SNES instead of just dropping them like a wet rag to continue using the dated cartridge technology. Square needed more storage and Nintendo refused to give it to them.

Look, things were said, mistakes were made. Can't they just kiss and make up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Good to see exclusives drop like this. That said I couldn't give a **** about Final Fantasy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And, come on, the number of ps2 game available positively dwarfs the original xbox. It had more good games by sheer volume. I doubt it is subjective.

If we list good games on each system, you would run out of Xbox games (not just good one) whilst I am still on my ps2 list.

Maybe so but you have to remember that for well over a year the PS2 had very little going for it compared to the excellent software catalogue of the competitor at the time the Dreamcast. PS2 sales skyrocketed before the Xbox and Gamecube came out thanks to the release of GT 3 and GTA 3 and even more so because of the playstation brand. It was by far the dominant console before those two got released and therefore it meant that it made financial sense to developers to make PS2 exclusive games or go multiplatform unless there was first party licensing and support.

In this generation the PS3 and xbox 360 are basically neck and neck in Europe and America, there is no clear dominant platform other than the Wii but software attachment rates are very low on that machine for anything other than mass appeal casual games. Also due to rising dev costs japanese companies can no longer make a profit from releasing a game just in japan and need a worldwide release. Releasing on both platform is a far more sensible move financially. With the rising cost of development we are probably going to see very few first party exclusives from now on.

As for people saying that FFXIII will be ported after it is finished, there's an interview on eurogamer and they say that porting of FFXIII is well underway. I'd bet porting is actually finished and they are continuing work on both platforms. Just like Devil May Cry 3 the game is being developed on PC's before being ported over on development kits meaning the port was probably relatively painless.

I don't really care if the game is released on multiple DVDs on the xbox 360, it never bothered me before and doesn't bother me in Lost Odyssey. However it looks like there will be another massive delay for the european launch so I'll be getting it on import and if there's region locking I'll be getting the PS3 version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I can't believe this? Didn't Square Enix initially stop making FF games for Nintendo because Nintendo refused to move over quick enough to a CD based console, which is why they chose Sony who had the PS1 at the time, they needed the added storage space for lengthy cut scenes.

I thought now with the PS3 it would definitely be tied to it as the PS3 has bluray whereas the 360 is still on DVD. If it does get released for the 360 I can see there being like 10 discs needed for the 360 version.
    storage is never the main issue,the Nintendo 's ruthless marketing rules killed itself,square want more money while at the mean time we all know that Sony gave lots of support on FF7 development.dirty business.

dont forget sony is square 3rd biggest share holder too.so we can actually see there must be a huge amount of money involved for this case ,did microsoft pay it off or a piece of x360 cake is really that unresistable?we dont know.

basically what i can see is Square has lost its 'dominating weapon' as it used to do with old times :the powerful graphic is always its selling point,look at FF7 onwards,FFX was a shock in visual effects;but now?all Square left with is merely its name.shame.the logical next step to take is obviously joining x360.this news doesnt surprise me at all.

i say think back for the GC/ps2 case of RE4,capcom was the biggest a*** i have ever seen.Sqaure is not the worst.at least we now know that there is no such thing as loyalty in business.fanboy?only money talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

seraphimvc wrote: »
    storage is never the main issue,the Nintendo 's ruthless marketing rules killed itself,square want more money while at the mean time we all know that Sony gave lots of support on FF7 development.dirty business.

dont forget sony is square 3rd biggest share holder too.so we can actually see there must be a huge amount of money involved for this case ,did microsoft pay it off or a piece of x360 cake is really that unresistable?we dont know.

basically what i can see is Square has lost its 'dominating weapon' as it used to do with old times :the powerful graphic is always its selling point,look at FF7 onwards,FFX was a shock in visual effects;but now?all Square left with is merely its name.shame.the logical next step to take is obviously joining x360.this news doesnt surprise me at all.

i say think back for the GC/ps2 case of RE4,capcom was the biggest a*** i have ever seen.Sqaure is not the worst.at least we now know that there is no such thing as loyalty in business.fanboy?only money talks.

Loyalty? Why should loyalty exist in the gaming world? All it serves to do is create elitism in the form of 'my console is better than your console because...'

Loyalty? Why should loyalty exist in the gaming world? All it serves to do is create elitism in the form of 'my console is better than your console because...'

If it didn't exist this announcment wouldn't be half as good.

Listening to the hardcore sony fanbois BAWWWW is more fun than the last 3 FF games combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Good to see exclusives drop like this. That said I couldn't give a **** about Final Fantasy.
    I heartily agree with both points :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Listening to the hardcore sony fanbois BAWWWW is more fun than the last 3 FF games combined.

QFT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i disagree.

...there was nothing fun about those FF games.

i disagree.

...there was nothing fun about those FF games.

And this from a Killzone fan :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    lol, ZING!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Retr0gamer wrote: »

killzone isn't about fun. it's about gritty, greyish/brown realism, set in a future world with somewhat-human wannabe overlords.

duh.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 45,907 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I disagree. Loved FFX, and got plenty of enjoyment from 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I'm not a fan of FF, but this will hurt Sony as a company, not the fans. In that way it's a bad thing, but FF fans, I'd imagine are fans of PlayStation anyway, so I hope it doesn't effect it that much.

If it is true Sony have shares in Squenix, then I think there should be a financial consolation for Sony. I'm still not pushed buying a 360, someone told me lately the RROD has a 50% rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

doesn't bother me in the slightest.

it will hurt sony, but i'm not that concerned, i'd be more concerned if it was an exclusive on a console i didn't own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

would loved to of been a fly on the wall when Square told Sony that FF would no longer be exclusive to them. I wonder if they just didn't tell them and then dropped the bomb at E3, much like the way Nintendo waited for Sony to give its speech about their SNES CD addon at CES'92 and then got on stage to say "eh, actually we're not using Sony for the CD addon, we're now using Philips"... pwnt

I'm surprised also that Sony wouldn't pay Square to keep it exclusive, regardless of its gameplay degrading, financially its always been a success (much like the unbelievable Halo series) Sony must of known that FF is a title like MGS4 that will convince people to buy a PS3. Or maybe Sony are so cocky that they think any devout FF fan wouldn't even think of playing FF on a western console.

• Advertisement

The money Square would make from ff13 on the 360 (I presume) would be bigger than any payment sony could have offered. Sony would have been silly to say something like, we will pay you whatever you lose by not releasing on 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

just for proofs sake, here are the shareholders in Square Enix, Sony is the 3rd largest, so which ever console FF13 is bought for Sony wins

http://www.square-enix.com/jp/ir/e/stock/stockholder/

I heard it before alright, just never checked for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

steviec wrote: »
    No it isn't, it's published by Microsoft. Just like Resistance or Uncharted, they're also from independant developers but they're published by Sony.

Insomniac Games and Naughty Dog, while independent both have very close ties to Sony (aren't all of their games published by Sony? If not, the vast majority are). Epic don't have the same ties to Microsoft, and Gears will only be published by Microsoft because its an exclusive.
    The last major real third party exclusive on 360 was Bioshock, and that was simply because the PS3 wasn't around yet when they began development. As can be seen by the fact they're now doing a PS3 port, and Bioshock 2 will be multiplatform. The same goes for Bizarre Creations next racing game (Microsoft own the Project Gotham name but the devs have moved on), the likes of Dead Rising and Lost Planet will certainly be multiplatform when they get sequels.
    Depends on your definition of major I suppose, but Ninja Gaiden 2 was published by Temco, and is a 360 exclusive. Regarding Bioshock, you are making some very big assumptions there, first off, the game is built using the Unreal 3 engine, which is obviously capable of supporting the PS3. There is also the fact that the game was already well into development 6 months after the 360 was released, so chances are that development started before the 360 existed either. Developers get the dev kits long before the console is released (otherwise how would we have launch titles?).
    Bizarre, like Bungie, have hinted that would like to create some more 360 exclusive games at some stage.
    For any big budget game, it's simply not worth a developers while to only release on one console, so the only time you'll see an exclusive is when the platform holder directly pays for it, and I'd rather see MS and Sony spend their money on developing first party games rather than spending it on stopping ports of games being released.

On this part I do agree with you, you won't see many non-paid for exclusives, the exceptions being from studios on both sides with strong ties, and there are certainly better things for them to be spending their money on.

N.B. This isn't supposed to be a fan boy type post, I used examples for the 360 because I know more about it than the PS3.

Tauren wrote: »

That is, without a doubt, the greatest thing ever.
    See noodler, far more entertaining by a country mile.

What is? This thread or F3?

I love FF games man, very few things are more entertaining for me.

noodler wrote: »
    What is? This thread or F3?

I love FF games man, very few things are more entertaining for me.

No accouting for taste....

I will never understand people who coem into a thread about a game they do not like to express their dislike of said game.

You wouldn't find me in a Fifa thread.

I just wathced your youtube link, if that guy is NOT taking the piss then I worry for Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

I find it funny how PS3 fanboys complain about how many discs the 360 will need for large games even when with huge games like Metal Gear 4 they have to spend 2 - 3 minutes installing each new act... it takes less time to pop in a new dvd folks :)

• Advertisement

Haha, find it funny all you want, I would much rather have it all on one disc.

Advertisement