Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I find out the year that my house was built?

Options
  • 14-07-2008 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, so please move this if needs be.

I am considering buying a house in Dublin and would like to find out what year it was built (it's about 100 years old).

Does anyone have any ideas where I can find this out?

I have checked the Land Registry website, but it does not seem to have a search function for this.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,089 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Pop into the land registry in Chancery Street and they will sort you out it if it is registered with them.

Not really for our forum so I'll move it to accommodation & property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

we had to find out the year a while back when considering buying a property (very old).....our solicitor advised us after a certain date (early...ish 1900's Ireland adopted the same system for registering property as the UK......older properties than this however didn't necessarily have a centralised system in place and therefore it was pot luck as to whether info was available.

as per muffler land registry is the place you want

• Registered Users Posts: 78,398 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you absolutely positively need to find the year or do you just need an approximation?

If you want, putting up a photo would mean people would probably be able to guess to within 10-20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

Some insurance companies will not insure properties over 100 years old. Don't really know why.

ZYX wrote: »
    Some insurance companies will not insure properties over 100 years old. Don't really know why.
    High risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,398 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Surely they just increase the premium for higher risks.

Victor wrote: »
    Surely they just increase the premium for higher risks.
    Some insurance companies just cherry pick rather than increase the premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

It also assumes that a house 100 years old is a greater risk than some rubbish built in last 10 years. Not a very safe assumption.

Advertisement