Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OMG DID ANYONE SEE WHAT HAPPENED IN THE CITY TODAY???

Options
  • 14-07-2008 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

I was just on my way to north main street from the roundie and i saw this woman running down the road,she had a small baby in her arms and was crying and obviously very shook up and was screaming 'get that man' so i assume she was mugged!! the man was ahead walking very fast. nobody helped her though it was very sad and i only thought afterwards what i could do to help her but with a buggy myself i dont think i would have been much help. it totally sucks there were plenty of people around that could have helped her but everyone just seemed to watch on...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I would have chinned him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I would have chinned him

And if it turned out she was just a loon ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 patrick_micheal

This happends alot around the city. People just dont care about any one elses problems. This city i falling apart and were all going to walk on it's the irish way.No one can say that they would step in as not to want to interfear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭the_follwer

maybe your one of many ignorant people in ireland who thinks people who are in distress are weirdo's....:mad:
    sorry to all others who are not!!:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It was me.
    She asked me out.
    She had a perm.

• Advertisement

This happends alot around the city. People just dont care about any one elses problems. This city i falling apart and were all going to walk on it's the irish way.No one can say that they would step in as not to want to interfear.

and you interfear too much you stalker.

No, i was just saying that not alot of people are going to interveen whit something thats going on in daylight. it's all drama happening ;). it's sad to see how people can be. was this woman irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Tbh I'd be wary about tackling some dude to the ground in case he had a knife or something. Not that my 5 foot something unfit self could tackle a determined running man hehe.

come on now i dont, thats a bit of a harsh statment. help people all the time i just got side tracked from helping people for the past few months. but not to go off topic women have fought for independence and rights and what not a part of that is all so taking on there own **** and standing up. it was worng that she had to put up with that kind of thing when she had a child in her arms. did you just walk on your self.??

taram wrote: »
    Tbh I'd be wary about tackling some dude to the ground in case he had a knife or something. Not that my 5 foot something unfit self could tackle a determined running man hehe.

id say some how you would have no bother putting a man to his knees. if that was you taram would you have run after the guy with a kid in your arms.???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

... Wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

id say some how you would have no bother putting a man to his knees. if that was you taram would you have run after the guy with a kid in your arms.???

If it had been me no, I doubt I would have since my child's safety would be more important than my bag. Hopefully in that case I'd be in town with my best friend (has top belts in three different martial arts) or my boyfriend (who can run pretty damn fast). :p If it was me and I didn't have a child with me, I'd easily whack him one :) Just hard to know how you'd react if it did happen, or if you saw it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I was just on my way to north main street from the roundie and i saw this woman running down the road,she had a small baby in her arms and was crying and obviously very shook up and was screaming 'get that man' so i assume she was mugged!! the man was ahead walking very fast. nobody helped her though it was very sad and i only thought afterwards what i could do to help her but with a buggy myself i dont think i would have been much help. it totally sucks there were plenty of people around that could have helped her but everyone just seemed to watch on...

maybe everyone else thought the same way, you'd be mad to chase anyone down for a purse or whatever was stolen, what happens when you catch up to the guy and he pulls out a knife?

the real world isn't the same as the movies :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Why would they?

I'm all for helping out but if you're stupid enough to let someone steal your sh1t on a public street in front of other people then its up to you to chase the guy and hope he hasn't got something dangerous in his pocket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭LCDeelite

The man who (I'm assuming) mugged that woman ought to be sent to a reformatory centre where he is placed in solitary confinement- exposed to nothing but the strains of Neil Prendeville through some speakers. He wouldn't be long repenting, the stupid c*nt! :pac:

It's crap how that stuff is going on in broad daylight around town these days, but it's a sign of the times how people conveniently become deaf, dumb, and blind in reaction to it.

Personally, I wouldn't intervene unless I was with a good few of my (less chicken sh*t!) friends. Maybe at least scare the f*cker a bit. I'm hoping that someone at least asked the woman if she was alright afterwards anyway. I think North Main St is a bit of a dive anyway, as far as streets go around town. Never liked the place. I try to avoid walking down there where possible. It's an ugly street and I don't like the feel of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

A number of years ago in Cork, in broad daylight, infront of the CIE Bus Station, Parnell Place, I witnessed a man beating a woman, hitting her to the ground - there were loads of people watching, nobody did anything, so I marched towards them roaring at the top of my voice "you stop that now or I'm calling the Gardai" (before the days of Mobile Phones and regular stabbings/shootings - I may add). So he stopped, glared at me, she got up - she shouted at me to "F..K OFF" and the two of them walked off together.

I was disgusted and angry at that woman for going off with him, angry she turned on mewho tried to assist, angry at the fact that NOBODY did or said anything and of course I realised I had infact put myself in danger.

I would be very apprehensive to get involved in anything that may put me in danger, but in the days of mobile phones, it takes 2 seconds to just dial the gardai to request assistance. (assuming they get there on time!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

:eek: she charged you for the coffee!!!!
    yeah im seeing more drunks and homeless people on the street..maybe cos its 'summer'.
    i would have helped if i didnt have my child sittin in the buggy myself.its only after that i was thinking of what i could have done but too late eh.
    there were plenty of men around that could have been man enough to evaluate a distressed woman i dono just felt real sorry for the girl. she wont be going down that street again me thinks. yeah it is a bit of smelly street. its the northsiders street isnt it,seems that way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

its the northsiders street isnt it,seems that way!!

I assume you are joking

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Tony255 wrote: »
    I assume you are joking

Somehow I don't think she is...

• Advertisement

:eek: she charged you for the coffee!!!!
    yeah im seeing more drunks and homeless people on the street..maybe cos its 'summer'.
    i would have helped if i didnt have my child sittin in the buggy myself.its only after that i was thinking of what i could have done but too late eh.
    there were plenty of men around that could have been man enough to evaluate a distressed woman i dono just felt real sorry for the girl. she wont be going down that street again me thinks. yeah it is a bit of smelly street. its the northsiders street isnt it,seems that way!!

you see even your self is finding a reson to walk on. twice in this tread have you used your son as the excuse that you are not able to do this or that. why bother expressing your point of view about something your going to supositly do. when your going to hide behind your buggy at the end of the day.???people that do help dont come up with any excuses they do it off there own back at the moment it arrises where they can help. people just dont want to help in this city and most of the drunk homless people want to carry on the way there going, they love drink and would not give it up for anything. the real homeless in the city get sorted out strate away and dont get put in to the simon, but get put into care in blarney,s sisters of mercey.
    plus you are making an asumption that she was mugged there is no hard evedence if she was able to speak english she would have stopped some one. in that case if she was all that histearical she would have said it to a man or shouted for help. but she did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Yeah this sort of stuff seems to be happening more frequently.

This only happened a month ago, I saw some random hobo punch a girl in the face because she told him to leave the shop as he was drinking alcohol.
    I was speechless and kind of went into a retarded freeze while they exchanged ninny slaps.
    I eventually snapped out of it as this girl was clearly distressed and wrestled the guy out the door.. (well, it was more of a push really :))

I told them to call the 5-0 while i followed him up the street, he was eventually picked up and hopefully locked away.

Girl in the shop still charged me for my coffee 10 mins later. :(

my dad wrestled a thief to the ground of an off licence before and still had to pay for the wine he was buying!

i know of case similar to Judes before but the good samaritan ended up getting stabbed and dying. in the mean time the couple who had been rowing stood by each other as if there was no problem.
    the problem is in these situations that you dont know the reason for the fight. it could be just some over reactive couple like above.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Why do you assume she was robbed, if I had robbed someone I wouldnt be "walking" quickly away I'd have pegged it, I knew of a guy that broke up a fight where a guy was beating his partner, yer man went over to pull him off her and he gets a headbutt in the face smashe his nose yer one still left with her beater before the Gardai arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

OMG DON'T SHOUT UNLESS IT'S SOMETHING INTERESTING AND/OR IMPORTANT!!!

omg il make sure il never shout your name!!!!!
    um dont take things too seriously
    NEXT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Judes wrote: »
    A number of years ago in Cork, in broad daylight, infront of the CIE Bus Station, Parnell Place, I witnessed a man beating a woman, hitting her to the ground - there were loads of people watching, nobody did anything, so I marched towards them roaring at the top of my voice "you stop that now or I'm calling the Gardai" (before the days of Mobile Phones and regular stabbings/shootings - I may add). So he stopped, glared at me, she got up - she shouted at me to "F..K OFF" and the two of them walked off together.

I was disgusted and angry at that woman for going off with him, angry she turned on mewho tried to assist, angry at the fact that NOBODY did or said anything and of course I realised I had infact put myself in danger.

I would be very apprehensive to get involved in anything that may put me in danger, but in the days of mobile phones, it takes 2 seconds to just dial the gardai to request assistance. (assuming they get there on time!)

I know this happened to someone else too. The guy stopped a man from physically abusing a woman down by the bus station and she freaked at him asking him who's business was it to get involved. Kinda puts you off helping people etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

its the northsiders street isnt it,seems that way!!

lol, fail.

OMG I saw this poor woman obviously in distress. Did I help her? No. Why? Me me me etc. Now in the same breath let me slander a whole group of people, because clearly I'm perfect like.

hahahha slander..you dont half jump the gun! ah well not my fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hey guys give Follwer a break - if you had a buggy with a child, then you'd have to think of the safety of the child first. I don't consider she's making excuses, she was just talking about something she saw and asking if others had seen it. We all react in different ways when confronted by such situations and in this day and age it's difficult to play the good samaritan. But wherever we live, looks like we should all have the Local Gardai on Speed Dial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

hahahha slander..you dont half jump the gun! ah well not my fault.

Libel, not slander.

Advertisement