Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OMG DID ANYONE SEE WHAT HAPPENED IN THE CITY TODAY???

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's far easier to hide behind one's own excuses and point out everyone else's failings though, isn't it? Her basic claim is that nobody else in the street could possibly have a valid excuse for not dashing after the guy who she's decided must have committed some crime.

Plus she does herself no favours at all by failing to grasp why things like punctuation, capitalisation, and not being a moron are all useful things in a conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

This whole thread is full of hearsay, conjecture and finger pointing.

I wouldn't expect a mother with children to play the hero, even a guy taking on a mugger (presumably) is risky as knives or syringes can be produced before you get a chance to get a dig in.

Many people can be slow to react too, in the heat of the moment.

Sad to see people walk on by, but that's todays society for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

She had a baby? So what. Do you take notice of Baby On Board signs too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mand123

Mossy Monk wrote: »

What an honorable attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

Mossy Monk wrote: »

Well it goes without saying you don't.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭the_follwer

I was telling a story and i think most of you replying with negativity should all be ashamed of yourselves!
    picking at me because i do not use pronounciation etc and that coming from a mod(erator) ppffft
    your an utter disgrace quite frankly.
    I only came on here to highlight the fact that these days nobody respects the vulnrable members of our society and you have just proven that with your arrogant and/or ignorant (whichever applies) attitude.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

OK, have you got any constructive or useful suggestions on what can be done to address this issue? Pointing out that a problem exists is one thing, but you'll get a lot more positive responses if you can suggest what can be done about it. Sounding like a Daily Mail journalist decrying the collapse of modern society doesn't really help anyone. Not bothering to express yourself coherently just compounds the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I was telling a story and i think most of you replying with negativity should all be ashamed of yourselves!

I only came on here to highlight the fact that these days nobody respects the vulnrable members of our society and you have just proven that with your arrogant and/or ignorant (whichever applies) attitude.

ORLY?

she wont be going down that street again me thinks. yeah it is a bit of smelly street. its the northsiders street isnt it,seems that way!!

tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 patrick_micheal

picking at me because i do not use pronounciation etc and that coming from a mod(erator) ppffft
    your an utter disgrace quite frankly.

well now there are many boards that you like to pull people on spelling and grammer so whats the problem it's an eye for an eye thease days. negativity is all around people are trying to be better than every body else it's the rat race get over your self and get the better of them if you able. hey the 411 it back good to see that. back to the topic you did not help her why?? your the same as evey other on looker. oh and if corks that bad and has offered so much of a bad time to you and the people are so bad than move on else where there is plenty of places round the country that are just the same if not worse. one day help one person and it's a day worth while. but people just carry on and wont make the time to put them selves out if there is no personal gane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 taffer92

i for one would not even dream of getting involved in such a nasty business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mand123

I think what The_follower is trying to point out that a vulnerable lady with a small baby was calling for help and nobody stepped in. Its shocking to see something like this happen and is easy to put yourself in her shoes and imagine what if that was me and I was in distress and nobody was willing to help?? It would make me feel small and helpless. Being unaware of all the facts would make it hard for anyone to make a snap decision for example chasing the man and wrestling him to the ground. It is hard to way out the costs of the consequences of being a hero. In todays society it would be very risky. But what can be done in these situations?
    Hearing your negative feedback makes me want to carry something large and blunt in my handbag you know being a woman and a feminist like!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

mand123 wrote: »
    Hearing your negative feedback makes me want to carry something large and blunt in my handbag you know being a woman and a feminist like!!

What?

ZOMG SOCIETY R DOOMD! IT ARE TRUE, I KNOWS IT WIT MY L33T LEARNINGS!

Seriously. We've got one person reporting something that they saw in the street where they openly admit to not knowing the facts - for all we know the people in question could have been having a couple having a huge row, it's not like it's unheard of for domestic disputes to lead to screaming and tears. And on the back of this one person's blatantly sensationalist report, we're all supposed to either condemn, I don't know, the youth of today or something. Oh, and don't forget to blanket-label all northsiders as inherently scummy too, from what I can tell.

You might think I'm being a bit harsh here, but until someone offers some constructive suggestions on what could be done to avoid these kinds of situations in future, I'm hard pressed to give a rolling f*ck whether I come across as negative or not. Expending energy on finding a solution is one thing, and a worthwhile endeavour at that. Expending a load of energy on wailing, gnashing of teeth, and proclaiming that it's not like the good old days when beer was a penny a pint and the world was bloody wonderful (contrary to reports of the time), on the other hand, is a borderline-retarded endeavour and I don't see why we're all supposed to go along with it just because one person has posted up their attempt at Daily Mail fanfiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Fysh wrote: »
    You might think I'm being a bit harsh here, but until someone offers some constructive suggestions on what could be done to avoid these kinds of situations in future, I'm hard pressed to give a rolling f*ck whether I come across as negative or not.

The most anyone with an ounce of sense should do is call the guards and maybe approach the woman and ask her is she ok/what happened. I just wonder what the OP would have done if she hadn't been pushing a buggy. What does she think would be appropriate behaviour?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

What an honorable attitude.

What do you mean ?

Do you believe that speeding cars that are just about to rear-end other cars go "OMG there's a baby on board, break, break for the love of God" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Fysh wrote: »
    You might think I'm being a bit harsh here, but until someone offers some constructive suggestions on what could be done to avoid these kinds of situations in future,

A separation barrier, obviously.

0702-03.jpg

South to the left, North to the right. Bingo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

And just cause I copped it,

OMG, DID ANYONE SEE HOW TO TURN OFF CAPSLOCK????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Malari wrote: »
    The most anyone with an ounce of sense should do is call the guards and maybe approach the woman and ask her is she ok/what happened. I just wonder what the OP would have done if she hadn't been pushing a buggy. What does she think would be appropriate behaviour?

I fail to see how pushing a buggy would have prevented the OP from calling the gardai or asking the woman if she was ok. Fair enough, maybe she didn't want to get directly involved when she has a sprog with her (assuming the buggy's not empty) but she could have certainly called the gardai.

Did the OP call the gardai? I'm guessing not...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭One-Day-Juande

There are a number of points brought up here.

Firstly, the description of events given does not fully account for the situation, I know we are living in world declining in moral values that will collapse in an orgy of knife crime and drug abuse at any moment...

However, there is not a great amount of crime of that sort going on in broad daylight on cork's main street, like it or not Cork is a relatively fluffy safe place. I tend to take the impression that she was some sort of unhinged type herself, it happens. Did anyone else find it strange that she was "carrying" a very small baby? Why would you be carrying a very small baby in the centre of town?

I do agree though that there are plenty of people who don't give two sh**s what happens to others so long as it doesn't personally affect them. I remember last October walking up Washington St when I came across this guy unconcious slumped in a doorway. As I approached I noticed a number of large groups of people just walking straight past him like he didn't exist. He was well dressed enough so it was clear he wasn't homeless and just sleeping there. I rang an ambulance for him. It wasn't some great heroic act, it was just a simple matter in helping out however I could. The point is though while it turned out he had drunk too much, it is still no excuse not to help. It really wasn't plainly obvious either. Severe diabetes can create sypmtoms that look like you're blind drunk. The fella could have been dead or dying.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is, none of us are heroes. As members of society we have a duty to help when we can and when appropriate. Unfortuantely there is no rule book for this so play it by ear.

On another note, I entirely disagree with opinions of North Main St, historically it is the heart of the city.

And as for peoples opinions of northsiders, that is genuinely a disgusting generalisation. The vast majority of people from that side of the city are good decent people. IF someone had stood up to help the woman, it more than likely would have been someone from the north rather than the south. (and this comes from a southsider:))

Sorry about the length of this,rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Energizeer

It was probably a domestic. Or maybe the guy had bumped into her or her child. In which case if you did rugby tackle the guy to the ground you could be charged with attacking him. I would have asked the girl whats the matter before I did anything.

• Advertisement

I do agree though that there are plenty of people who don't give two sh**s what happens to others so long as it doesn't personally affect them. I remember last October walking up Washington St when I came across this guy unconcious slumped in a doorway. As I approached I noticed a number of large groups of people just walking straight past him like he didn't exist.

I came accross a guy, who clearly was homeless or a wino, or whatever, but he had fallen and knocked himself out. There was a blood wound on his head but everyone was just walking straight past him. I didn't touch him, just called an ambulance, waited till they arrived. I agree you don't need to do anything heroic or even get involved, just make sure someone takes responsibility.

I think what The_follower is trying to point out that a vulnerable lady with a small baby was calling for help and nobody stepped in. Its shocking to see something like this happen and is easy to put yourself in her shoes and imagine what if that was me and I was in distress and nobody was willing to help?? It would make me feel small and helpless. Being unaware of all the facts would make it hard for anyone to make a snap decision for example chasing the man and wrestling him to the ground. It is hard to way out the costs of the consequences of being a hero. In todays society it would be very risky. But what can be done in these situations?

well tell you what if you do start carrying around something like that ans ever put it near a man the chances are being blunt and having onlookers to see whats going on,you would end up in the wrong it would be classed as a deadly weapon we have the guards in this country for a reason. hero no one thease days will take risks life is to short and every one knows it. your on a board and you did not think you would get negative feed back people have more views than just fems. and equality did come in a few years ago why were you looking for a man to stop the man.? cant a femin do the same thing an man can do in this day and age? people have there own peoblems every one does. sometime when theres a kid involvled its best to keep your nose out of this sort of thing if your an on looker you dont know what the true story is the same way some one over hearing a convo does not know the hole story it can some times be one sided and not the truth. as for being small your only as small as you let your self be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

well tell you what if you do start carrying around something like that ans ever put it near a man the chances are being blunt and having onlookers to see whats going on,you would end up in the wrong it would be classed as a deadly weapon we have the guards in this country for a reason. hero no one thease days will take risks life is to short and every one knows it. your on a board and you did not think you would get negative feed back people have more views than just fems. and equality did come in a few years ago why were you looking for a man to stop the man.? cant a femin do the same thing an man can do in this day and age? people have there own peoblems every one does. sometime when theres a kid involvled its best to keep your nose out of this sort of thing if your an on looker you dont know what the true story is the same way some one over hearing a convo does not know the hole story it can some times be one sided and not the truth. as for being small your only as small as you let your self be.

I think this just gave me an aneurysm... wtf does it all mean? :confused:

I think this just gave me an aneurysm... wtf does it all mean? :confused:

read the upper quate first than read the lower and than under stand how a fems mind works and than you will get it.

read the upper quate first than read the lower and than under stand how a fems mind works and than you will get it.

Are you using the word "fem" when you mean woman, or feminist? Your post still doesn't make much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

He means feminist because her post said that being a feminist somehow entitles her to carry a weapon around. Which makes no sense whatsoever. Therefore replying to such a nonsensical statement was his first mistake.

This is a stupid thread.

Of course, an inventive alternative would be for you to convert it into something like this, referred to in common parlance as "legible english":

"Well, tell you what - if you do start carrying around something like that and ever put it near a man, chances are that, it being a blunt instrument and there being witnesses that see what's going on, you would end up in the wrong. It would be classed as a deadly weapon; we have the guards in this country for a reason. hero No-one these days will take risks, life is too short and everyone knows it. You're on a board and you did not think you would get negative feedback; people have more views than just fems, and equality did come in a few years ago -why were you looking for a man to intervene? Can't a feminwoman do the same thing as a man can do in this day and age? People have there own problems, everyone does. Sometimes when there's a kid involved it's best to keep your nose out of this sort of thing; if you're an on-looker you don't know what the true story is, the same way someone over hearing a conversation does not know the whole story - sometimes it can be one-sided and not the whole truth. As for being small, you're only as small as you let yourself be."

You'll note that for the most part I've refrained from actually changing the actual words used, since I still don't understand the point he was trying to make - but at least know we can establish that there may have been a point in the original post, rather than it being a random sequence of his favourite words, separated by an occasional bit of arbitrarily-chosen punctuation.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Kold wrote: »
    He means feminist because her post said that being a feminist somehow entitles her to carry a weapon around. Which makes no sense whatsoever. Therefore replying to such a nonsensical statement was his first mistake.

This is a stupid thread.

There are no stupid threads dear heart,
    Only stupid people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Was driving through Cork one day showing Americans around :D two cars of us. anyway along the quays an obviously drunk man staggers and falls to the ground. I found it very funny but lots of people did stop to see if he was ok but he was clearly drunk from the way he had been walking a few moments before.... well that or he had a heart attack right there on the bridge i suppose. Anyway point is, people stopped to check on him immediately.

Oh incidentally when i got to the next bridge there was another drunk slumped on the ground drinking a bottle of Vodka... must of been one of those days. The Americans im sure were taking pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Hardrain

North Main Street is a hole. Not bothered on how historical the street is, it's a dirty smelly dump of a street. For some reason there is a lot of scumbags penguin walking up and down there every day.

Advertisement