Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hugh Brady on the telly tonight.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Ernie Ball wrote: »

You're confusing me with Brady here. I'm not the one who put in place a system where, in order to be promoted to Senior Lecturer, say, you have to have X number of publications with little attention paid to what those publications actually have to say. Brady did that, so I guess that "makes him the stupid one." Which is what I've been maintaining all along. QED.

You care to go through the publications of Brady and highlight the papers that have little to say. They are all relevant to their field. In fact, if you find more than 40% of Brady's papers that have little to say I'll fully accept your views. On a more likely note, I'm sure I'd be able to argue the fact that they are all relevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Shazbot wrote: »
    You care to go through the publications of Brady and highlight the papers that have little to say. They are all relevant to their field. In fact, if you find more than 40% of Brady's papers that have little to say I'll fully accept your views. On a more likely note, I'm sure I'd be able to argue the fact that they are all relevant

This has no bearing on what I said.

1) What makes you think I don't already have an MD or a PhD?
    I'd put alot of money on that you don't.
    2) You've made a fundamental logical error about the point of all this. I'm merely trying to shoot down the (feeble) argument advanced here that "Brady can't be lacking in intelligence since he has degrees in medicine."
    And I was merely continuing on from your preceeding statements.
    3) I'm not saying he's a bad doctor. I'm saying he's a terrible President and that, a President with more foresight and experience wouldn't have made the blunders he's made.

I'm not saying he's the perfect president, but there is only one way to gain that experience that you seem to want in a president, and that's by doing the job. If you wanted to attend a university with an experienced president then why go to UCD, why not trinity or DCU, or any of the other NUI's?
    This has no bearing on what I said.
    I think it does. You started of by stating that not all research is valid with Brady's name in mind (if you deny that then you're not worth debating with). Obviously trying to discredit him, something you've been repeatly doing. So I simply asked you to show me the papers. I'm sure you twist words now to avoid the request but to be honest I've lost most interest in this arguement quite a while ago.

I'd put alot of money on that you don't.

How much?
    I'm not saying he's the perfect president, but there is only one way to gain that experience that you seem to want in a president, and that's by doing the job.

Sorry, was UCD obliged to hire a neophyte?
    If you wanted to attend a university with an experienced president then why go to UCD, why not trinity or DCU, or any of the other NUI's?

Wow, that's a real vote of confidence in the man. Basically what you're saying is: yeah, he's crap but what did you expect?

By the way, I couldn't watch that interview. The interviewer's first question was, basically: "Dr Brady, what's the secret to your total awesomeness?"

The chances of her asking the real questions he ought to be asked are significantly less than the chances of her offering him a handjob at some point in the interview.

• Advertisement

How much?
    More than you could pay out

Sorry, was UCD obliged to hire a neophyte?
    Not at all. So are you going to start blaming the board that hired him now or just slate Brady relentlessly? Actually don't bother answering, I already know the answer. After all it is inherently Irish to be pesimistic and look for flaws instead of achievements.
    Wow, that's a real vote of confidence in the man. Basically what you're saying is: yeah, he's crap but what did you expect?
    Not what I'm saying at all, re read my statement. I said if you didn't want to attend a university with an inexperienced president then you didn't have to.

Personally, Brady has doing nothing as a president to make me stand up oppose. You know what they say, if you don't notice someone doing their job then they are doing it right.

And let me restate that's in my eyes.

More than you could pay out

Put up or shut up.

You know what they say, if you don't notice someone doing their job then they are doing it right.

An alternative interpretation: if you don't notice someone doing their job, you might be blind.

Put up or shut up.

That's you ingenious come back? Making false wagers? You seem to have lost track of the debate. Why don't you try get a job on Brady's administration*

I won't bother returning to this thread, its gone way to far off topic and your retorts are thoughtless, effortless and seem to omit many points brought up.

*the administration that exists in your head.

Feel free to PM me if you figure out what you want to say and continue. You made many good points and argued well in the Paycut tread. Too bad it wasn't the same in this.

That's you ingenious come back? Making false wagers? You seem to have lost track of the debate. Why don't you try get a job on Brady's administration*

I asked what made you think I don't have an MD or a PhD. You came back saying you were willing to wager a large amount of money that I don't. I asked how much and, when you dodged the issue, told you to put up or shut up.

I'm happy to see that you've chosen to shut up but if you do decide you want to put your money where your mouth is, be sure to let me know, OK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Ernie Ball banned for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

So back on topic what did people think? I thought that he wants the gateway project to be one of his legacies as he said it would be finished by 2013(a year before his presidential term ends). I'd like to see that happen as I dont think a project of that scale can be finished in 4-5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

What Hugh Brady says is of limited interest as it does not concur with what actually happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

So back on topic what did people think? I thought that he wants the gateway project to be one of his legacies as he said it would be finished by 2013(a year before his presidential term ends). I'd like to see that happen as I dont think a project of that scale can be finished in 4-5 years.

He said the planning process for the Gateway project would be finished by 2013 not its construction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭armada104

By the way, I couldn't watch that interview. The interviewer's first question was, basically: "Dr Brady, what's the secret to your total awesomeness?"

The chances of her asking the real questions he ought to be asked are significantly less than the chances of her offering him a handjob at some point in the interview.
    You think starting with a soft question is a bad idea? Watch it, she asks more pertinent questions later on. Doesn't necessarily follow up on them all the time, but she asks them.

I think your willingness to judge Áine Lawlor's interview without having actually seen it gives us an idea of how informed your arguments are generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

armada104 wrote: »
    You think starting with a soft question is a bad idea? Watch it, she asks more pertinent questions later on. Doesn't necessarily follow up on them all the time, but she asks them.

I think your willingness to judge Áine Lawlor's interview without having actually seen it gives us an idea of how informed your arguments are generally.
    Raph said it best last time he was banned,
    "Ernie Ball banned for being a patronising and offensive twit."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Chakar wrote: »
    He said the planning process for the Gateway project would be finished by 2013 not its construction.

He said construction, I am nearly 100% sure. He said they would have planning permission by the end of the year.

Advertisement