Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine dies in 2 year old Mondeo

Options
  • 14-07-2008 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

My Dad's Mondeo's engine has just died, apparently something to do with it started sucking oil into the internals. Ford dealership in Rathfarnham are quoting €3,500 for a new one. :(

The car is only just out of warranty, 5 months out, about 70,000km on the clock. Obviously Axa don't want to know about it.

Is there any comeback with Ford? Seems like a crazy thing to just 'happen'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Ford should cover it. I'm surprised they are not being more helpful. Was the car always serviced?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Fuck thats steep! You'd think since it was a mechanical problem on a newish car they'd offer to replace it even if it is out of warranty since the engine is kinda important!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its a Ford :(

Have you ANY evidence this started inside the 2 year warranty and that the Garage did nothing about it after they were told either deliberately or by not checking thoroughly ??

Was an oil leak reported at any stage or unusual numbers of oil topups WHILE it was under warrranty , it 'sounds' like it burnt oil for a while before it seized .

Otherwise tough I would think !!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

kmart6 wrote: »
    Fuck thats steep! You'd think since it was a mechanical problem on a newish car they'd offer to replace it even if it is out of warranty since the engine is kinda important!

I think the service manager is going to ring Ford on that sort of theme, see if they can get anything out of that.

Damn Irish warranties!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Its a Ford :(

Have you ANY evidence this started inside the 2 year warranty and that the Garage did nothing about it after they were told either deliberately or by not checking thoroughly ??

Was an oil leak reported at any stage or unusual numbers of oil topups WHILE it was under warrranty , it 'sounds' like it burnt oil for a while before it seized .

Otherwise tough I would think !!

Will ask him about that, I doubt it though, he always serviced the car right on schedule, not a spec of dust on the inside, so well kept. Never mentioned any problems with it.

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote: »
    Ford should cover it. I'm surprised they are not being more helpful. Was the car always serviced?

Totally - and always at the same dealer - his last car was a Mondeo too, and Mum's last was a Fiesta from the same place. Hopefully they'll at least cover some of the cost as a good will gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Dwilly wrote: »
    Totally - and always at the same dealer - his last car was a Mondeo too, and Mum's last was a Fiesta from the same place. Hopefully they'll at least cover some of the cost as a good will gesture.

What engine is it? Did the engine sieze?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Play your cards right an you'll most likely get some form of "ex gratia" help from Ford. Engine shouldn't have gone kaput, unless it had no oil.

p.s. What had this to do with Axa? :confused:

Some insurance companies will help you out if you have a sudden engine failure. They usually will give you a contribution rather than pay for all the repairs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ferris wrote: »
    Some insurance companies will help you out if you have a sudden engine failure. They usually will give you a contribution rather than pay for all the repairs.

News to me. Motor insurance has nothing to do with mechanical reliabilty. It covers 3rd party/fire/theft/damage from an accident. Any examples please?

• Advertisement

My old boss got a contribution when the engine of his Mazda 6 let go. It was only about 1500quid but he got a 2nd hand engine so the overall cost wasn't that high.

My old boss got a contribution when the engine of his Mazda 6 let go. It was only about 1500quid but he got a 2nd hand engine so the overall cost wasn't that high.

From his insurer? :confused:

What engine is it? Did the engine sieze?

I think it's the TDCi one, standard diesel.

Play your cards right an you'll most likely get some form of "ex gratia" help from Ford. Engine shouldn't have gone kaput, unless it had no oil.

p.s. What had this to do with Axa? :confused:

Yep.

Dwilly wrote: »
    I think it's the TDCi one, standard diesel.

In that case and the fact that you mentioned the 'sucking' of oil i'd guess that the turbo blew its oil seals and emptied the sump of oil, siezing the engine.

You need to see the turbo to diagnose this. There will be oil all over the inside of it. Another way is to drop off the intercooler/charge air hose and see if a load of oil comes out.

If a turbo wore out in 70k i'd be on to Ford Irl looking for them to cover the costs, especially if the car has a ford service history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Similar thing happened when the father drove through a low flood that took water into the internals causing a need for an engine rebuild. Insurance covered about 60% I think.

In that case and the fact that you mentioned the 'sucking' of oil i'd guess that the turbo blew its oil seals and emptied the sump of oil, siezing the engine.

You need to see the turbo to diagnose this. There will be oil all over the inside of it. Another way is to drop off the intercooler/charge air hose and see if a load of oil comes out.

If a turbo wore out in 70k i'd be on to Ford Irl looking for them to cover the costs, especially if the car has a ford service history.

Thanks for that, will pass on the info

Advertisement