Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old computers and other large rubbish?

• 14-07-2008 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

Hey guys I'm looking for advice here. I have a few old computers and monitors up in the attic and its really starting to get cramped up there for space. As well as two old printers, some of this stuff is from the early 90's and most of it doesnt work or I've ripped it apart for cables/spare hard drives etc over the years, so its complete junk basically, scrap metal/plastic.

How do I get rid of this stuff? I remember hearing about some place you could bring stuff like that for free but cant find any info on it... anyone know? Preferably free as I might have two car loads of it!! Or should I just bring it to the dump?? What's the story with that, I heard ballyogan dump has closed...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Ballyogan as a dump is closed. However it is now what's known as a civic recycling centre.

Most stuff can be recycled there free of charge (including old computers, monitors etc), however garden waste, rubble, wood etc is charged by trailer size.

There's more info on the County Council's website here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Thanks for the info!!

I found this link on Dublinwaste.ie which says IT Equipment is under the hazardous category and I'll have to pay the 20 quid to get in.

http://www.dublinwaste.ie/bring_bank.php?fac_pid=673

I suppose the councils site is more accurate as its their dump. If anybody knows for definite either way it would help to know as it will probably take two trips, but if its 20 quid a go I'll try and fill the car up to the gills and make one trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I was up there last weekend and I'm fairly sure that Computers etc were marked on the big sign as free. Bear in mind you can fill up the boot, back seat, stuff the car completely and it'll still only cost the 20 if that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The IPODEC in Ballymount takes all electrical/electronic equipment for free.

http://environment.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=129

I brought a car full of old computer equipment up in January and disposed of it. Technically the items which are free are items which have had the WEEE recycling charge paid on it, but they don't ask you to prove this (how can they?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Macroom E

You could try www.wastematchers.com - it's a free online swap shop!
    You can give your old items a new life - somebody somewhere may use it whatever it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

shanganagh recycling centre (beside the cemetery) takes old computers and electrical equipment for free. http://www.dlrcoco.ie/env/Shanganagh_Recycling_Centre.htm
    There are probably other recycling centres which do the same.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Sweet Rasmus, It doesn't mention electrical goods. I'm just down the road in Stillorgan and I'd like to offload a computer or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

it deffo takes them. I've been down there and it's a fabulously laid out place. for tvs, computers (monitors inc.), ANY electrical equipment. I saw these things all around me in their respective offloading stations when i went last. Does plastics 1,2,4,5 and polystyrene too. Don't forget batteries, aerosals, tin cans and alumium cans too! :D

do check the times before you go though; you'd hate to get there and it's closed!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Cheers. Will drop in then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I believe that everything has some value and if any of you have something what you considering as waste or bits and pieces not worth selling... Ill be happy to take that from you.
    I mean anything from computer hardware even cables, cd rom everything.
    If this is just laying around gathering dust - feel free to pm and Ill collect that from co Limerick, Tipp and Clare prefferably. If you have or know about some larger quantity I can drive to other locations too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement