Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Odd A3 temp guage/ESP warning light problem ...

Options
  • 14-07-2008 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi all - maybe someone has come across this themselves so can help me out. Every couple of days, pretty much out of the blue, the ESP warning light comes on (solid) on my '04 A3. When this happens it is usually accompanied by the temperature guage needle going to 0 (from dead-centre 90 degrees where it usually sits). Stopping/starting ignition clears it (but it can take a couple of attempts). Also when it happens a distinct fan/whirring sound is to be heard from the engine (this is not a sound I usually hear).

I can only find one google hit that matches my problem (link below). For what it's worth the car has just had a full service at a main dealer. Unfortunately the light didn't come on for them and the computer had no recorded errors so they said there was nothing wrong (but charged me the labour for their 'investigation' anyway :mad: ).

Any help much appreciated ....

Link from only similar issue I can find online:
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Audi-Repair-1811/2008/6/A3-ESP-light-Temp.htm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Could be a faulty brake switch on the pedal, see if your brake lights are working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Maybe a mechanic can answer this one (or I can check with one of our mechanics tomorrow if I remember), but I could swear that if a light lights on the dash, then the computer will record a fault code for it.

I think fault codes delete themselves after a set number of on/offs of the ignition - how long between you seeing the light and you bringing the car to a garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cormy

Thanks for the responses. I heard the brake switch theory before but no, not the problem this time. As for the issue of the fault codes disappearing after a certain number of ignition cycles, well it was probably only about 2 or 3 cycles and they didn't find a stored fault. However ...... problem solved:

Turns out the engine temp sensor was faulty -> this lead to the fan coming on constantly -> which caused the engine to interpret/detect a failure with the ESP system - hence the ESP light, noisy fan, and temperature needle at minimum.

The service centre (same place - I went back) replaced the temp sensor and this seems to have fixed the problem. Yay :-)

Advertisement