Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner Permit?

Options
  • 14-07-2008 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to get a new provisional licence and I was wondering whats the quickest way to go about it because I suddnelly really need one! I've had one before and I've got all the forms and stuff but I was wondering if I go into the motor tax office if I can get one straight away or how long it will take? does anyone know?? thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

You should always look at the website www.oasis.gov.ie in these cases as it will normally tell you what you need to know.

In any case the provisional licence no longer exists - you will be applying for a learner driving permit.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/References/checklists/checklist-when-applying-for-or-renewing-a-provisional-driving-licence/?searchterm=provisional%20licence

As for how long it takes, I can't say but if you contact the website, I am sure they will give you a guideline. It might be quicker than hoping someone on here will know for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭happydance

Thanks but I've already tried the website and citizens information, they we're very nice but none of them knew for sure, thats why I'm here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

If your need to get on it the behest of your employer or to sit a coming driving test, a letter to state this would probably speed the issuing of one. Without being nosy, why do you need it so quickly?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

A letter from your employer will do nothing, OP you will need to fill out the relevant forms in the motor tax office. Once this is done you can expect to have your LEARNER PERMIT in a couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i think what the OP means is a NEW Prov license...ie he wants to know if he can renew his expired one....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Commuting & Transport to Learning to Drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

corktina wrote: »
    i think what the OP means is a NEW Prov license...ie he wants to know if he can renew his expired one....

they can but it will be a learner permit not a provisional licence - you can't get provisional licences anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 rover84

happydance wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking to get a new provisional licence and I was wondering whats the quickest way to go about it because I suddnelly really need one! I've had one before and I've got all the forms and stuff but I was wondering if I go into the motor tax office if I can get one straight away or how long it will take? does anyone know?? thanks!

Go to the motor tax office and if you tell them you have a driving test coming up next week, they will let you collect your licence in 2-3 days. Otherwise theyll post it out to you and could take up to 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

Seems to vary from Tax Office to Tax Office. My partner took the application form and fee for a learner's permit to the office in Cork and walked out with the thing. I believe that a full licence will have to be posted to you so that would take longer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭happydance

Thanks very much (and thanks for moving it to this board! i didn't even know it existed).

That all makes a lot of sense, one last thing, at the moment I'm living in student accomadation so the address is XXX residences, is that ok for the address?it just sounds very temporary? I've been living here full time for over a year so it's definitly my permanant address but will they accept it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Eh.. go in with all the forms, hand them in with the fee, and you get it back in about a week/week and a half - sent out by post(I just got mine yesterday). Make sure to have a form of ID on you too. I'm sure you could probably collect it sooner if you ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

happydance wrote: »
    I'm living in student accomadation so the address is XXX residences, is that ok for the address?it just sounds very temporary? I've been living here full time for over a year so it's definitly my permanant address but will they accept it?
    The Motor Tax Office will accept it no problem.

For 7 years, in the 1990s, I lived in the premises of my employer. It was my permanent address and was on my licence. I was also registered to vote there.

At some Garda checkpoints, they used to get snotty about it not being a 'permanent' address but I always stood my ground on the matter. I used to ask them if they would prefer me to make up an address just to make it fit into their perception of what an address should be!! They used to suggest that I use my parents address,but I always refused on a point of principle, as I hadn't lived there since the mid 1980s.

An Post never had any trouble delivering my mail to the same address.

Advertisement