Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yellow gunk in airbox

Options
  • 14-07-2008 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

This relates to a 1.6 mk3 golf.

When I was changing the air filter yesterday, I noticed some nasty looking yellow gunk at the end of the hose that connects the crankcase to the airbox. Also, a little rubber ring which was over the top of the hose has come off and was lying on the floor of the box.

There was also a little oil around the floor of the box, and on the sides of the throttle body, but I understand that this is normal by-product of gas getting past the pistons and into the crankcase.

What ahout the yellow sh**e though?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

when water air and oil mix they make an orange gunge. sometimes if you find that under the oil cap. afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Martron wrote: »
    when water air and oil mix they make an orange gunge. sometimes if you find that under the oil cap. afaik.

well, that's a relief!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Some engines, including earlier Ford Fiestas, did that all the time. Generally it's an indicator of a leaking head gasket, but certainly not in every case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Relax, the gunk in your airbox is most likely to be from the PCV valve. If there was a lot of it on the inside of your oil cap I'd worry but not where you say you found it. For emmissions regulations the crankcase air (with it's natural oil and hydrocarbon content) cannot be vented to atmosphere so it's routed back to the airbox where it can be burnt in the engine. When the warm oily air from the crankcase mixes with the cold damp air coming through the airbox, the oil and water emulsify leaving you with creamy "mayonaise".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

mayonaisse....... good description

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mayonaisse....... good description
    Bad when you see it on the underneath of the oil filler cap though!

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement