Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlsberg Comedy Carnival - Iveagh Gardens - July 24th-27th

Options
  • 14-07-2008 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Couldnt see any threads for this comedy festival coming up in a few weeks.

When i saw the list of performers, one thing jumped off the screen for me - "The Stars of 'Whose Line is it Anyway?' "!! Would absolutely love to go see that....

...but then I had a look at the list of "stars": Phill Jupitus, Ian Coppinger, Andy Smart, Steve Steen, Niall Ashdown, Stephen Frost.

Eh yeah, they were never on the show :mad:

I wanted at least Colin Mockery & Ryan Stiles, absolute legends on Whose Line. Never heard of any of those lads. Dunno if i wanna bother getting tickets now :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

Yo, it looks to me like the best evening of this is clearly the Louis CK / Ardal O'Hanlon night.

Feel free to disagree with me but prepare to be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Gross Halfwit

Not a direct disagreement but I reckon the best night is Louis CK on his lonesome! Sure He'll have support but he will also have a whole show to himself you know. I don't find Ardal all that funny to be honest.

That's the only show I'm going to out of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

beglee wrote: »
    I wanted at least Colin Mockery & Ryan Stiles, absolute legends on Whose Line. Never heard of any of those lads. Dunno if i wanna bother getting tickets now :(

phil jupitus has been doing comedy for years, he is one of the captains on never mind the buzzcocks and is incredibly funny! ian coppinger heads up dublin comedy improv, he has been called "a sophisticated billy connolly" and is a master at improv comedy!

the show is worth going to see for those two alone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RobbieBonham

phil jupitus has been doing comedy for years, he is one of the captains on never mind the buzzcocks and is incredibly funny! ian coppinger heads up dublin comedy improv, he has been called "a sophisticated billy connolly" and is a master at improv comedy!

the show is worth going to see for those two alone!!

And Stephen Frost was a regular on Whose Line..., back in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Avoid Pappy's Fun Club at all costs... Saw them at the Mighty Boosh Festival last week.

It's like a bunch of college students trying to be funny while doing a pantomime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

ian coppinger heads up dublin comedy improv, he has been called "a sophisticated billy connolly" and is a master at improv comedy!

Sophisticated dick & fart jokes maybe. Not really a fan, seems the same gags over and over.

The site is here - http://www.carlsbergcomedy.com/

I like Andrew Stanley & Jarlath Regan, but they've also got someone like Dave McSavage (ughhh) as well

lookin for a good laugh then go see "apres match presents", if you saw messin with barry murphy in kilkenny then aparantly this is near enough the same but with the apres match lads, sketches, galore and special guests (aka whoever is not doin a show right then will be dragged in by barry murphy) well worth going to!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

Louis CK and Stephen K Amos the only real draw for the festival as a comedy attraction as far as I am concerned. Thats not to belittle any of the other performers its just that you can see many of them around town in a better atmosphere for a better price.

I think that the festival is really going to cater to the corporate crowd who want to see dick jokes while they drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Looks like the Friday night for me:

Des Bishop &
    Louis C.K. &
    MC Paddy Courtney

Although I would have liked to see David O'Doherty, just didn't fancy his partner in crime for each of his shows.

connundrum wrote: »
    Looks like the Friday night for me:

Des Bishop &
    Louis C.K. &
    MC Paddy Courtney

Although I would have liked to see David O'Doherty, just didn't fancy his partner in crime for each of his shows.

louis ck + paddy courtney = excellent

des = meh! (used to like him but its same old same old by this stage)

im headin to see apres match and whose line on thursday and friday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Would like to see Danny Bhoy and either Pj Gallagher or Karl Spain.

Puts me off having to get tickets via tickemaster though....

Weyhey wrote: »
    Would like to see Danny Bhoy and either Pj Gallagher or Karl Spain.

Puts me off having to get tickets via tickemaster though....

y? bad experience with them? you could go to sound cellar on nassau st!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

You can buy the tickets in person? Might have to buy mish mash tickets on friday :o

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Tragedy wrote: »
    You can buy the tickets in person? Might have to buy mish mash tickets on friday :o

Do you mean at the door on the day etc ? Or do they have an actual booking office?

I was replying to grames bond about being able to buy them somewhere on Nassau street!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Theres a stall to buy show tickets... BUT you need a ticket to enter the gardens. :confused:

Tragedy wrote: »
    I was replying to grames bond about being able to buy them somewhere on Nassau street!

sorry dude, ye you can, any ticketmaster stall or sound cellar will have them! (well im 100% sure tm stalls will, sound cellar it depends, im pretty sure they will tho)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Frank_Gallagher

Apparantly the electrics failed and the whole show went down like a fart in a lift... click here for an account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Apparantly the electrics failed and the whole show went down like a fart in a lift... click here for an account.

Damn, didn't hear about that! Sounds like a complete disaster! Cheers for the link man

orestes wrote: »
    Damn, didn't hear about that! Sounds like a complete disaster! Cheers for the link man

im surprised you didnt hear about it, simon o keefe and neil hickey were tellin me about it! the funny thing about it was the power to the bar till was still fine! people all ran to the bar to get pints when the lights went out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

when was that some previous year?

when was that some previous year?

Nope, it was yesterday

oh god hope they fixed it going tonight

for some reason the oxygen page looks like its from the late 90's (and i thought it only started tonight)

oh god hope they fixed it going tonight

for some reason the oxygen page looks like it from the late 90's

I'd say they have, if it happens again tonight there will be people asking for refunds on tomorrow and Sundays gigs before they even happen I'd imagine

Yeah it does, I think it's a student run site or something like that

half the crowd didn't like the louis ck ,so they thought they'd ruin it for everyone by coming and going from the bar and talking constantly

des bishop kept apologising for telling old bits of his act, but was good ol des,

lucky i got my tix free.

M. Jones was the man :)

****ing awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭gamb1or

Don't suppose anyone knows where I could get 3 tickets for Louis CK/Ardal O'Hanlon tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

Well my dad managed to wangle me some free tickets to Friday nights show, and tickets for the show earlier today for my sister, both to Whose Line. (BTW I should say that i of course knew who Phil Jupitus was, and once i saw Stephen Frost i instantly recognised him from the old show)

And i have to say it was great, thoroughly enjoyed it! :D
    So much so that i took advantage of the fact that my sister had a ticket left over, and i went to it for a second time earlier today :)

Both gigs were excellent, and i couldnt honestly say which one was better. The only repetition was when Frost did his little intro to the crowd to explain how the show worked, but that was only very short.

Jupitus was great, and so was the wee lil Irish guy Coppinger. Frost, Steen and Ashdown were all very good as well. The only slightly lack lustre guy was Andy Smart (think thats his name), but he wasn't in the 2nd show.

So if you like the sound of "Pirates on a day out in a spa", "Monkey pole-vaulting" or "Sumo wrestlers performing pride and prejudice" then id definitely recommend seeing this if it's on again :D

(P.S. id still love to see Stiles & Mockery in action, and i heard Paul Merton did a very similar type show last year, which would also be good, so ill have to keep a lookout. Or may even check out some improv in Dublin some time)

beglee wrote: »
    (P.S. id still love to see Stiles & Mockery in action, and i heard Paul Merton did a very similar type show last year, which would also be good, so ill have to keep a lookout. Or may even check out some improv in Dublin some time)

monday nights in the international is when dublin comedy improv do their thing, thats ian coppingers group (adam hills played with them recently, was gutted i missed it) definatley worth a pop in as they are always gold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

Adam Hills and Phil Nichols were amazing last night. The other one Carmel or something was utter ****e but the other two made up for it!

Advertisement