Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home recording software for Windows

Options
  • 14-07-2008 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I want to do some fairly casual home recording (guitars, piano, vocals, percussion) and i have a couple of mics, and a USB interface (Tascam US 122L).
    I'm trying to find a DAW (is that the right term?!) to use; ideally not too complicated, mainly for audio stuff, but maybe also good for midi or vst stuff.
    I have a laptop with Windows Vista (horror of horrors!) with plenty of memory and whatnot.
    I've seen Cubase mentioned, and programs like Logic and Reaper. What do people think?
    Any help is appreciated.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

THE ONLY ONE - reaper

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Logic only runs on Macs

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭danjokill

I want to do some fairly casual home recording (guitars, piano, vocals, percussion) and i have a couple of mics, and a USB interface (Tascam US 122L).
    I'm trying to find a DAW (is that the right term?!) to use; ideally not too complicated, mainly for audio stuff, but maybe also good for midi or vst stuff.
    I have a laptop with Windows Vista (horror of horrors!) with plenty of memory and whatnot.
    I've seen Cubase mentioned, and programs like Logic and Reaper. What do people think?
    Any help is appreciated.
    Cheers.

I use cubase and find it quite good .... maybe not for everyone ...... you can uses it in a basic capacity or in an advanced way. Recording as you have outlined above would be quite easy. But you can get into much more with it. Cubase Studio the cutdown version might suit you and is a bit cheaper than the full thing but you lose some of the higher end functions with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Techbot

I second Reaper !!!

Its uncrippled shareware. So you can test it before you make your decision. It's workflow is similar enough to the industry standard Daws so anything you learn in Reaper will be more or less applicable if you decide for the more expensive options. Soon to be cross platform too.

Made by the guy who built winamp. Has excellent multiprocessor support. And it is only 3 meg !!!!!!!!

http://reaper.fm/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rowanlacey@hotm

thanks a lot
    i think i'll look into reaper: seems to be a good bit less expensive than some of the others too...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Reaper is good, but I find it a little underpowered for midi work, so compare it with cubase, sonar or similar before you commit to it (demos downloadable I believe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

yeah , forgot to say that , for midi , better to use something more advanced. but if you mainly do mics , reaper is brilliant , and is free if you are a hard ass , and 40 euro if you are guilt ridden like me .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

DaDumTish wrote: »
    ...and is free if you are a tight ass , and 40 euro if you are guilt ridden like me .

fixed:p

Advertisement