Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing account

Options
  • 14-07-2008 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Hey

How do i go about closing an account?

.. I cant seem to find anything in my control panel?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Don't log in anymore, accounts aren't really ever closed. Scramble your password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

What!?

Surely there has to be a way to close an account? ... like the way you can close pretty much any account you open; email accounts, bank accounts etc

What exactly is the point in scrambling a password?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

C_Breeze wrote: »
    What exactly is the point in scrambling a password?

So you cannot log back on again.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    So you cannot log back on again.

Err, why would I need to scramble my password for that ? ... i could just not log back in again by not actually not logging back in again ... its not like i have to fight against uncontrolable boards urges!

... I'd like to actually delete my account - like when you delete an email account for example.

Why is that so hard to do, surely it's not an unreasonable request?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Deleting your account means deleting the posts that you have made. The fact that you have made posts within threads that other people have made and contributed to means that there will be gaps and holes in those threads. What do you want to do - delete the username but not the threads/posts or delete your user profile and any threads/posts you have made?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We prefer not to do it, because then there's no avatar attached to your posts.

Note that deleting your account will simply remove your email address from the database and any information in your user profile. Your posts will not be deleted and the name "C_Breeze" will still appear beside every post, just without the avatar and post count and such.

The admins can do it but it may take a while for them to come around. So because of what seems like the pointlessness of deleting your profile information (because you can do it yourself anyway) and the wait, we generally tell people just to go away and forget about their account.

Edit:
    It's also worth noting that the Privacy Policy states that we do not delete accounts.

seamus wrote: »
    Note that deleting your account will simply remove your email address from the database and any information in your user profile. Your posts will not be deleted and the name "C_Breeze" will still appear beside every post, just without the avatar and post count and such.

Ok that sounds more reasonable.

Thanks for the info.

Advertisement