Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spelling & Grammar...basic respect

Options
  • 15-07-2008 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Please look at this post from a frequent visitor:

http://wwww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56539987&postcount=1

I am not being anal or a sh!t-stirrer, but this is too much surely? Little or no effort has been put into making that legible.

What's the general opinion on this kind of post? I'm sure we all make mistakes, but this shows no respect for the reader or am I overreacting?

SESIME = SIAMESE?

PS: Just realised time of posting - perhaps it is more forgivable than I first thought, sorry. Still curious as to what people think though.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ah FFS! Are you serious? Overreacting is a serious understatement. Log off now and think about what you've done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

6th wrote: »
    Ah FFS! Are you serious? Overreacting is a serious understatement. Log off now and think about what you've done.

Ah 6th, don't be like that...it bothers me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

God damnit, who dare thay make such besic speling mistakes!? Aneone ho make mstake liek dat shud be SHOT!!! :mad:

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Ah 6th, don't be like that...it bothers me! :D

I wouldnt be fcukin' surprised if it did based on what caused you to start t his retarded thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

At least it wasn't txt spk.

Ok it doesn't matter to anyone else, point taken.

Close the thread now please :)

Ok it doesn't matter to anyone else, point taken.

Close the thread now please :)

Close the thread? I'd say you've got about other 47 posts t o go of cat pix and people slaggin' you! No one will even know who made the post that offended you so much but by christ they know IanCurtis has little to whine about.

I wouldnt be fcukin' surprised if it did based on what caused you to start t his retarded thread.

Now that's what I call Feedback 2008!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Still curious as to what people think though.

That you have you've very little to worry about.

• Advertisement

I'd say you've got about other 47 posts t o go of cat pix and people slaggin' you!

Yes

Annnnyway......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

literacy-cat.jpg

ntlbell wrote: »
    That you have you've very little to worry about.

I wouldn't go as far to say I was worried about it, just think it maybe a little bit too incoherent?

:)

Oh you want feedback? Okay.

The guy made a spelling mistake ... thats forgiveable.
    You made a conscious effort to start this thread ... do I even need to continue?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, it's best if you never continue.

OP, check out spell checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I wouldn't go as far to say I was worried about it, just think it maybe a little bit too incoherent?

:)

I would be more worried about his taste in music.

literacy-cat.jpg

I'll take this to the web forum so :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

loldogs-cute-puppy-pictures-grammardogi.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I noticed that mis-spelling of "Siamese" too - maybe the poster in question is dyslexic, in which case it would be out of order to make fun of/criticise their command of grammar, punctuation and spelling. And I'm very quite pedantic when it comes to same, but it saddens me to hear about the difficulties and the ignorance faced by those with dyslexia.

Time of post: 1.42 - alcohol mixed with internet = not good for spelling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Ugh, another spelling Nazi :mad:

As long as you can understand what the poster is trying to say it doesn't matter a damn if every word is spelt correctly. This is an internet forum, not an English exam.

roflbot-bXao.jpg

EDIT: Good Lord, that's an ugly cat!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

grammar-nazi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Dudess wrote: »
    I noticed that mis-spelling of "Siamese" too

Or maybe he just can't spell properly but is that really that important.

OP seriously cop the **** on if this is this is the sort of thing that is going to annoy you life then you really should get yourself prepared to be annoyed by life

I noticed that mis-spelling of "Siamese" too - maybe the poster in question is dyslexic, in which case it would be out of order to make fun of/criticise their command of grammar, punctuation and spelling. And I'm very quite pedantic when it comes to same, but it saddens me to hear about the difficulties and the ignorance faced by those with dyslexia.

Dudess, I had considered that too and that may very well be true as it is so far off the original spelling.

At any rate, it doesn't help us reading it though, and while it is not an "english exam", a poster, if they want to make any point at all, should make themselves as coherent and articulate as possible, as in any walk of life?

I've raised it in the web development forum for those who are interested - hopefully there'll be a more informed response there.

jsb wrote: »
    cop the **** on if this is this is the sort of thing that is going to annoy you life then you really should get yourself prepared to be annoyed by life

Another offensive ridiculous reply again, "annoyed by life" indeed.

I've taken it to a different forum, you stay here please.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Another offensive ridiculous reply again, "annoyed by life" indeed.

don't worry I will stay here waiting for yet another stupid reply from yourself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I noticed that mis-spelling of "Siamese" too -

spotter.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

IanCurtis wrote:
    I've raised it in the web development forum for those who are interested - hopefully there'll be a more informed response there.
    You thought you'd get an informed response in Feedback? :)

Yes jsb, go sit in the bold corner! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Maybe smashing pumpkins have a new album out dedicated to those seeds on the top of burger buns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

And how they're so good you'd actually have dreams about them...

Advertisement