Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spelling & Grammar...basic respect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Yes jsb, go sit in the bold corner! :D

kitteh-in-teh-corner.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Maybe smashing pumpkins have a new album out dedicated to those seeds on the top of burger buns.
    Dudess wrote:
    And how they're so good you'd actually have dreams about them...

Woah, that would be the coolest concept album EVER. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ah I have to say poor spelling/grammar/punctuation as a result of sheer laziness does annoy me.

Dudess wrote: »
    Ah I have to say poor spelling/grammar/punctuation as a result of sheer laziness does annoy me.

but maybe it is not just laziness

Oh I agree.

• Advertisement

Oh I agree.

then why are you trying to point out that it is. Cause no offence but those that are dyslexic will have no problem feeling sorry for you knowing that they are smarter then you even if their spelling and grammar displeased what you are pedantic about :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ok, so attempting to take this seriously for one second ...

... what exactly are you trying to feed back to the admins of this site?

That some of its users are less than proficient in their spelling and syntax at 01.42 on a Saturday night / Sunday morning when most likely under the affluence of incohol?

What do you expect the admins to do about it?

(Oh, and if awhir annoys you, keep an eye out for Winters. That guy can REALLY massacre the Chinese language in the wee hours!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

I've already taken my question elsewhere so we can leave the abuse and cat pictures here in Feedback please? :)

Check out thread in Web Development forum for those interested in discussing further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Ian. I'm surprised the mistakes in your posts haven't been picked up by anyone yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

planecrashfina.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

winters is rather the ****.

Still though its its quite interesting to see where the arbitrary line is drawn.

OMG txt spk is bad we don't like that type (pun intended) around here.

Request for better spelling and grammar though clearly that is just ridiculous.

You can't shorten words but by all means do whatever else you feel like to them.

Not that I care either way personally but funny none the less!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

IanCurtis wrote: »
    I've already taken my question elsewhere so we can leave the abuse and cat pictures here in Feedback please? :)

Check out thread in Web Development forum for those interested in discussing further.
    catliketyping.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

IIRC, Awhir suffers from dyslexia..

Nice one, guys.

/edit: snap.

jsb wrote: »
    then why are you trying to point out that it is.
    Below is my first post on this thread so your sentence above is redundant. Maybe read threads more thoroughly.
    I noticed that mis-spelling of "Siamese" too - maybe the poster in question is dyslexic, in which case it would be out of order to make fun of/criticise their command of grammar, punctuation and spelling. And I'm very quite pedantic when it comes to same, but it saddens me to hear about the difficulties and the ignorance faced by those with dyslexia.
    When I said I get annoyed by laziness in the area of grammar, punctuation and spelling, I meant in general...
    Cause no offence but those that are dyslexic will have no problem feeling sorry for you knowing that they are smarter then you even if their spelling and grammar displeased what you are pedantic about :rolleyes:
    Grrr... how I hate the rolleyes symbol, it makes people come across as really obnoxious and ignorant - "no offence".
    Oh, and maybe tone down on the personal abuse:
    those that are dyslexic will have no problem feeling sorry for you knowing that they are smarter then you
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I laughed at someone's spelling once at school. The girl in question turned out to be severely dyslexic. I've never made that mistake again. I still feel awful about it 10 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Wait a minute, dyslexia's real? Wow, I thought it was just an excuse people used when they were too lazy to spell.

/sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

What's the general opinion on this kind of post?
    aeffc58ed921d8989ad9e8d408caff04.jpg
    Awhir suffers from dyslexia.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let us sex this thread up a bit

spellcheckwx4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

bloglogo.bmp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Ok it doesn't matter to anyone else, point taken.

Close the thread now please :)

Au contraire ,Ian, it does matter to me.

The standard of spelling and grammar on Boards is nothing short of abysmal.
    When we complain, we get the usual smart arses going on about pedants,and parsing and analysing our posts for typos and such,claiming that "Well you understood it didn't you".

Ian ,I will always draw attention to basic spelling and grammar laziness, not typos, but pure downright frikken ignorance and laziness.

I need men like you not to be discouraged by lolcats,smart arsed jerks,whankers who's grammatical and spelling standards are akin to a child in 3rd class.
    Don't be discouraged Ian, keep up the good fight against the spotty nerdy jerks who think it is "cool" to ride roughshod over the rules and regulations of of grammar and spelling,punctuation and syntax.
    Ignore the slings and arrows which will undoubtedly be aimed in your direction and stand tall in defense of all that is good and proper in writing.

You have an ally in the Flutt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Au contraire ,Ian, it does matter to me.

The standard of spelling and grammar on Boards is nothing short of abysmal.
    When we complain, we get the usual smart arses going on about pedants,and parsing and analysing our posts for typos and such,claiming that "Well you understood it didn't you".

Ian ,I will always draw attention to basic spelling and grammar laziness, not typos, but pure downright frikken ignorance and laziness.

I need men like you not to be discouraged by lolcats,smart arsed jerks,whankers who's grammatical and spelling standards are akin to a child in 3rd class.
    Don't be discouraged Ian, keep up the good fight against the spotty nerdy jerks who think it is "cool" to ride roughshod over the rules and regulations of of grammar and spelling,punctuation and syntax.
    Ignore the slings and arrows which will undoubtedly be aimed in your direction and stand tall in defense of all that is good and proper in writing.

You have an ally in the Flutt.

1. Comma not needed.
    2. 'Whose' not 'who's'
    3. 'Of' is only necessary once.

Just sayin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

As I warned you Ian, the weedy slugs will crawl out from under the stones to attempt to ridicule you. Stand tall against this Ian,ignore their puerile efforts to derail your opinions.

Ignore the shoals of like minded nerds who will also jump in to take bite,like jackals ripping a wounded buffalo.

I warned you Ian, stand up and be counted.

Better to have dyslexia than anger management issues.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Interesting topic title (the Respect bit) coming from the OP! You could have considered that in PI when replying to a topic ;)

e64947cdee2c302c97f18ba586a11c6f.jpg
    Sully wrote: »
    Interesting topic title (the Respect bit) coming from the OP! You could have considered that in PI when replying to a topic ;)
    + work&jobs + AH + ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I agree.

As you know from previous conversations, both my daughter and I are dyslexic so I can speak with some experience on this.

A small bit of effort is all thats required to get the basic's right, it might be a little stressful at first or it might cause the poster of a message to spend that extra minute or two composing and proof reading a message, but dammit not to do so is just plain lazy.

The only excuse I'll make for people with dyslexia is that sometimes we struggle reading, and taking the message out of a long post.

So sometimes when it seem's that I've ignored someone's questions to me there might be a very good reason for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sherifu wrote: »
    Better to have dyslexia than anger management issues.

A lot of time's they go 'hand in hand' (or should that be the other way away - 'hand in hand' ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Mairt wrote: »
    As you know from previous conversations, both my daughter and I are dyslexic so I can speak with some experience on this.

A small bit of effort is all thats required to get the basic's right, it might be a little stressful at first or it might cause the poster of a message to spend that extra minute or two composing and proof reading a message, but dammit not to do so is just plain lazy.

The only excuse I'll make for people with dyslexia is that sometimes we struggle reading, and taking the message out of a long post.

So sometimes when it seem's that I've ignored someone's questions to me there might be a very good reason for it.

It makes a nice change to hear someone who actually has dyslexia with a sensible attitude to it. A lot (not all) of people I've met with dyslexia use it an excuse not to try which is sad.

Any spelling mistakes in any of my posts on this thread are there for the sake of irony. E&OE.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

The most mis-spelled word on the internet is "Ridiculous". It annoys the hell out of me.

Its not "rediculus" you idiots. There's no goddamn "e" in it. You know who the hell you are. Take 5 minutes of your life out to learn the correct spelling for sh!t's sake. The next person to spell it wrong gets double-AIDS - I mean it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Typos I can get over, but complete lack of punctuation gets to me every time. Do people just not bother to proof read? Typos can be taken care of easily enough with a spell check, which are even built into a lot of browsers now, so there's not much of an excuse.
    <snip>

Thanks for the well needed injection of sense.
    A lot of time's they go 'hand in hand' (or should that be the other way away - 'hand in hand' ;) )
    No, the first way was more betterer.
    Maximilian wrote: »
    The next person to spell it wrong gets double-AIDS - I mean it.

Is that like Super AIDS, or am I being rediculous ridiculous? Heh, Firefox even underlines rediculous to let you know it's wrong.

The OPs linked post was a pretty poor example of bad spelling/grammar, but there are a hell of a lot of posters here who quite obviously don't care about the legibility of what they post. Commas being used instead of apostrophes, random apostrophes inserted for no reason (such as when pluralising), spaces before commas and full stops, semi-colons used in place of commas and apostrophes. These are the basics of English, thought at primary level, and it's worrying that there are so many people who don't understand, or don't care.

Too many people use the word pedantic like it's a bad thing. What's so bad with wanting to get it right, and wanting to be able to understand what someone else is even saying? For someone with reading difficulties, I'd imagine it becomes that bit more difficult when the poster hasn't even bothered to punctuate a sentence.

Advertisement