Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spelling & Grammar...basic respect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

jor el wrote: »
    The OPs linked post was a pretty poor example of bad spelling/grammar, but there are a hell of a lot of posters here who quite obviously don't care about the legibility of what they post. Commas being used instead of apostrophes, random apostrophes inserted for no reason (such as when pluralising), spaces before commas and full stops, semi-colons used in place of commas and apostrophes. These are the basics of English, thought at primary level, and it's worrying that there are so many people who don't understand, or don't care.

Too many people use the word pedantic like it's a bad thing. What's so bad with wanting to get it right, and wanting to be able to understand what someone else is even saying? For someone with reading difficulties, I'd imagine it becomes that bit more difficult when the poster hasn't even bothered to punctuate a sentence.

Lol 'thought'? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

poxy wikipedia editors nothing better to do than revert my vandalisim

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Here's a good example of pure keyboard laziness, it's making my eyes bleed.

The poster wants to become a driving instructor.

*shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Maximilian wrote: »
    The most mis-spelled word on the internet is "Ridiculous". It annoys the hell out of me.

Definately agree with you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

I think a large percentage of posters either don't know that there's a difference or have chosen their favourite one and are sticking to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Definately agree with you there.
    LOL

iseezwutudi128607706372484278.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

janeybabe wrote: »
    Lol 'thought'? :P

Pedant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

It's good to see there are some intelligent people on boards, more support and common sense than I was expecting.

Imagine a forum like this without the unfunny cat pictures, the over-used in-jokes and the social misfits.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

IanCurtis wrote: »
    It's good to see there are some intelligent people on boards, more support and common sense than I was expecting.

Imagine a forum like this without the unfunny cat pictures, the over-used in-jokes and the social misfits.... :)

whysoseriouscat_md.jpg

:D

Imagine a forum like this without the unfunny cat pictures, the over-used in-jokes and the social misfits

So an empty forum basically?

• Advertisement

So an empty forum basically?

There would be more members, I can assure you of that.

I know many people who have visited Boards.ie once and only once, with remarks like "full of gimps/geeks" etc.

It's hard to convince them when you read back over this thread for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I laughed at your OP, if that's all you have to be worried about it's ok. That was even before the dyslexia was revealed.

I know many people who have visited Boards.ie once and only once, with remarks like "full of gimps/geeks" etc.

It's hard to convince them when you read back over this thread for example.
    But I see your true colours
    Shining through
    I see your true colours
    That's why I love you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I czn typw witjout luking at my keyboarf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Dudess wrote: »
    Ah I have to say poor spelling/grammar/punctuation as a result of sheer laziness does annoy me.

I'd agree. Check 6th's pink sig ffs!

Sherifu wrote: »
    I laughed at your OP, if that's all you have to be worried about it's ok. That was even before the dyslexia was revealed.

But I see your true colours
    Shining through
    I see your true colours
    That's why I love you

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

That's why we have edit function to correct .

My sometimes spelling edorros :P....are just down to my finger working faster than brain on dodgy lap top keys or vice versa .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What?
    Lyrics to True Colours by Cyndi Lauper.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

People like you, Ian?

People like you, Ian?

I would admit I am a bit nerdy, but come on...."lolcats"

What is that about? They should be called "I was bullied at school cats" :)

PS - Dudess, I know the lyrics but why is he putting them here? Is it amateur comedian's night (and I stress amateur)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

*shrugs*

We are what we are. Though honestly, I would be highly amused by people saying that about boards now to have read boards 7 years ago when I joined. The place is full of bloody normies now! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I love getting geeky with gimps.
    Keep the norms out tbh

[edit] omgz epic snap @ nesf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I was only aware of boards about two years ago .Must have lived a sheltered life :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

"I was bullied at school.."
    Oh, you can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

I once beat up a spelling bee in school, his name was Curtis as well. He was always correcting my grammer so I finally lost it. I was gowen out with this chick in school and wrote her a note asking if she's like to go back to da muthers house with me for a bit of hows yer father. (I think the stress of making me confirmation was getting to me so I needed a shag badly) anyway, it read. Aggie, me Mas place at luch hour for a quickie....... Curtis intercepta me note and made the corrections. " Agnes, would you like to come to my mothers house for some pot noodle. Da little bollx I wanted a ride not a fkin lunch. I kicked the shte out of him.

The confo went well , I made turty quid. Last time I seen Curto he had his arm around some bloke at the Debs.....I called him Gheyboy and he gave me the bird...respect there curto.

YULETIRED wrote: »
    I once beat up a spelling bee in school, his name was Curtis as well. He was always correcting my grammer so I finally lost it. I was gowen out with this chick in school and wrote her a note asking if she's like to go back to da muthers house with me for a bit of hows yer father. (I think the stress of making me confirmation was getting to me so I needed a shag badly) anyway, it read. Aggie, me Mas place at luch hour for a quickie....... Curtis intercepta me note and made the corrections. " Agnes, would you like to come to my mothers house for some pot noodle. Da little bollx I wanted a ride not a fkin lunch. I kicked the shte out of him.

The confo went well , I made turty quid. Last time I seen Curto he had his arm around some bloke at the Debs.....I called him Gheyboy and he gave me the bird...respect there curto.

Geek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Geek.

Pot kettle etc.

I spell my Username with 2 Hs don't you know....:D

YULETIRED wrote: »
    I spell my Username with 2 Hs don't you know

Some people were putting three in there, would you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Some people were putting three in there, would you believe.

Ay up Eart'orse? Ee ar gumbar. I'm goin check on t'top field.

I know how much you love it when I leave out a H. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Those are the kind of people that come on here and take all the bleedin' usernames. Wasters.

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    I know how much you love it when I leave out a H.

Long as you don't drop any Es I think I'll be okay.

Advertisement