Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get a 3G iPhone (apart from O2)

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

CivilEx wrote: »
    Heading to Chicago for Halloween, any idea of what's T-Mobile coverage like there?
    mobius42 wrote: »

T-Mobile USA have roaming agreements with most US GSM operators to provide almost nationwide coverage. The link above is excellent for sussing out coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Can someone tell me how one can buy an iPhone in Ireland other than from ebay or o2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Does anyone have an update on the 02 PAYG situation? I went into 02 the other day and the girl said she never heard anything about 02 planning to sell the iPhone on PAYG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

yes its going on payasyougo but you have to get the 1gb add on for 20 than 30 manth on calls and texts than thats 50 a m/t than 650 for the 16gb iphone so its more in the end so just get it on bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Heading to Chicago for Halloween, any idea of what's T-Mobile coverage like there?

Just did some searching and AT&T have a $20 per month unlimited data add on which is available for PAYG, or as they call it GoPhone customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

xbox36016 wrote: »
    yes its going on payasyougo

link your info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

yes its going on payasyougo but you have to get the 1gb add on for 20 than 30 manth on calls and texts than thats 50 a m/t than 650 for the 16gb iphone so its more in the end so just get it on bill

I'm sorry and this is not intended to mean offence but can someone please translate what this is supposed to mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

anyone heading to italy to get one of those unlocked ones?

I reckon the slightly inflated prices mentioned earlier were due to the shop or the sales guys making a few quid from tourists buying them...but I'd gladly bung them a few quid if I was guaranteed of getting some!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Can you cite your source please?

I had heard someone say they saw iPhone PAYG mentioned on the O2 website but I'm not sure how credible that is.

Why would you have to pay the €50 for a package if it's a prepay package? Also, even if you do maybe it's a once off?
    Gekko wrote: »
    anyone heading to italy to get one of those unlocked ones?

A dude I work with is heading home to Italy before or for Christmas and he said he'd pick one up for me but now with these 32GB iPhone rumours I'm not so sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

LA3G wrote: »
    Can you cite your source please?

I had heard someone say they saw iPhone PAYG mentioned on the O2 website but I'm not sure how credible that is.

Why would you have to pay the €50 for a package if it's a prepay package? Also, even if you do maybe it's a once off?

A dude I work with is heading home to Italy before or for Christmas and he said he'd pick one up for me but now with these 32GB iPhone rumours I'm not so sure...

If you wait for the 32, you might as well wait for the 64, if you wait for the 64, you might as well wait for the 128........................see where I am going with this....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

but now with these 32GB iPhone rumours I'm not so sure...

Those 32GB rumors have been mostly debunked by the larger gadget blogs like Engadget and it seems the rumors got started somehow in relation to the iPhone chargers recall for the US last week. This is only a guess, but I'd think that they will introduce the 32GB in more or less the same timespan as the 16GB 1st gen was introduced to the 1st gen 8GB: at least six months later, so around late January - February. This way they don't piss off the existing customers that much and still have a good 5 months of sales of the 32GB model before the inevitable 3rd gen iPhone next summer.

There are some sellers on eBay who seem to be selling unlocked TIM ones.

Anyone tried any of those guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

i heard a rumour that it is illegal to sell locked handsets in france!,im going there in november to paris,does anyone know anywhere that sells phones /i phone there?
    cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Gekko wrote: »
    There are some sellers on eBay who seem to be selling unlocked TIM ones.

Anyone tried any of those guys?

Yeah, I bought one from a seller in Italy on ebay. It was expensive, but it is excellent. Completely unlocked, and no issues at all with it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

i heard a rumour that it is illegal to sell locked handsets in france!,im going there in november to paris,does anyone know anywhere that sells phones /i phone there?
    cheers

To an extent yes, but there are some restrictions. However the iPhone is not available on PAYG there which is what makes the TIM or Vodafone Italy iphone so attractive. The price is 569€ for the 16GB -there are no inflated prices save those on eBay.

randomer wrote: »
    Yeah, I bought one from a seller in Italy on ebay. It was expensive, but it is excellent. Completely unlocked, and no issues at all with it so far.

Can I ask how much you paid for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Their coverage is excellent I have a US t-mobile phone for when Im in the US and I spend alot time up around Illinois and Wisconsin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

I probably should have posted this here, but i didn't see the thread. :)
    carrotcake wrote: »
    For anyone interested in getting an iPhone in Italy (Rome)...

As a foreigner I had absolutely no problem getting one. One shop asked me for ID and an address because they were also giving me a prepaid SIM card with the phone, so I just gave the address of the B&B I was in. Most other shops just give you the phone without the SIM, no questions asked. In fact they remove the SIM pack from the packaging in front of you without saying anything!

There was no pressure to sign a contract or anything. They all seem to know the story with tourists taking them home and just give you the phone, asking the prepaid version's price. Although one shop I went into only gave them out on contract. And one chain was charging €519 for the 8GB version and €619 for the 16GB, instead of €499 and €569. I asked the sales rep if he could not give me a phone for the real price and he said no.

Trying to pay with a credit card wasn't so easy, with a disproportionate amount of shops' credit card terminals "non funziona" when I asked. Cash seems to be king when it comes to mobile phone shops over there. I also had trouble finding an ATM that would accept even one of my four cards, but that's another day's work...

A few shops were out of stock, but most had a limited supply. By that I mean around five or so. I was in one shop where there were two people (also tourists) ahead of me - one got four iPhones and the other got two. None were left after that.

I got pulled aside going through airport security on the way home, and the security guy already knew from the x-ray that I had a couple of iPhones. :) He was saying that loads of people take them home.

very tempted to get a cheap flight to one of the big cities - probably Rome or Milan, stay two nights and go around the TIM shops with a pocket full of cash.

But I'm guessing customs might have something to say if I came back through Dublin with a suitcase full of iPhones!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭gunsofbrixton

buyin a suitcase full of iphones in italy is the equivalent of buying a suitcase full of phones in offaly. Were in the EU gekko, free movement of goods and people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Were in the EU gekko, free movement of goods and people

Would you mind explaining VRT?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

buyin a suitcase full of iphones in italy is the equivalent of buying a suitcase full of phones in offaly. Were in the EU gekko, free movement of goods and people

Only applies if the items are for personal use, AFAIK. You might find it hard to explain to your friendly neighbourhood customs man that the 27 iphones you've brought in are all for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Would you mind explaining VRT?

You mean VAT :DVehicle Registration Tax (VRT) is only paid on cars

free movement of goods and people

Livin the deam....

gcgirl wrote: »
    You mean VAT :DVehicle Registration Tax (VRT) is only paid on cars

You try walking through customs with 30 iphone 3G's:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Personal use only applies to alcohol and tobacco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

can i just buy a payg iphone 3g from o2 UK and then stick in one of the sim adapters which will unlock it to say use with my meteor sim?

would this work? :confused:

Advertisement