Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another attempted car jacking. Lock your doors!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ching9000

Just to back up what Wertz has said...

My mum was car jacked in Dundalk about a year and a half ago. It was a Sunday afternoon in a busy shopping centre car park on a Sunday.

One guy jumped in the passenger seat and produced a blade and then another opened the driver's door and dragged her out. She is over 70, about 5'6'' and weighs about 8 stone...brave men!

So car-jacking DOES happen and definitely is not anecdotal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Wertz wrote: »
    a detective later attending said that he'd been to cases locally where the threat of the kettle was used to obtain keys

Deffo an urban myth, gardai trying to impress with their scary stories! I can't see the thief waiting for the kettle to boil amont an array of knifes, scissors, etc...

Good points however, time to lock those car doors...
    ching9000 wrote: »
    So car-jacking DOES happen and definitely is not anecdotal.

You just told me an anecdote!! Ah, kidding, I hope your mum recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Surely if the door is locked they could just break open the window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Surely if the door is locked they could just break open the window

Have you ever tried pulling someone out a car window? Or getting in to the drivers' seat whilst the driver is still in it?
    This isn't the dukes of hazard...

Besides anyone that can drive is going to floor it the minute someone breaks the window...if a door is opened, a hand (or weapon) comes in, it's usually too late and most people would have trouble driving off with someone hanging out the side of the open door, because it's not something they're used to doing or because they may fear injuring the assailant (wouldn't bother me, but that's hw some people think)

As for urban myth from the detective lightening? Perhaps, but this woman said they knew the detective personally...given her age, I doubt he was some McBain fresh from Templemore...but whatever. BTW who said anyone needed to boil the kettle? Hell in a dark bedroom, they probably just need to say they've a kettle, or else let on it's boiling...personally I wouldn't call that bluff unles I had a Veyron in the front driveway...

Advertisement