Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

blake101 wrote: »
    Hello everybody

I applied to the Garda reserve during the week and i have a couple of questions for those who may have been through the experience before.

First and foremost, what realistic time frame are we talking about?

18months - 2 years really... Some people I know who applied online about 6 months ago have heard nothing yet.

I think there is another thread here outlining the rough timeframes.

Secondly, I work in the Oireachtas(six years) for a private contractor. Will this help/hinder my application?
    Its employment history. Were you a member of a political party or affiliated to any particular party while there?
    Thirdly, If i mention in my interview (if i get that far) that i repeated two subjects in my leaving cert in 2007 with the intention of applying to the full time service but the moratorium on recruitment put pay to that idea. Again, will this help/hinder me?

So you did or didnt repeat them? Did you consider applying and then back out because the guards were not recruiting or?
    And lastly, I have several years of Kickboxing experience. Ive heard conflicting reports that this could work against me as they may prefer ' a clean slate' regarding any self defense experience.

It may be ok. I probably wouldnt put it in your CV but you could use it for questions in your interview - e.g. questions on team skills or having to manage a delicate situation. I hadnt heard about self defence being an issue, some reserves I know had done martial arts etc before and it obviously didnt stop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Shield wrote: »
    Text speak. You're around long enough to know the rules. Friendly reminder, no replies, just don't let it slip in. Ta muchly.

Now munster keep your text speak for the Phone :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    Now munster keep your text speak for the Phone :p

ZoneAlarm, everyone was asked by Shield not to reply.
    I'll give you this one chance here to comply with mod instructions.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I have picked up a habit of looking out for the owl R shoulder badge. Seems they are used quite alot on beat patrol around Coolock if that helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

msg11 wrote: »
    I have picked up a habit of looking out for the owl R shoulder badge. Seems they are used quite alot on beat patrol around Coolock if that helps?

Don't confuse that with DMR R District (Malahide and a couple of others I think, although I know Coolock is J) - all the regular Gardaí out our way have R on the epaulette.

It's GR you're looking for.

• Advertisement

sdeire wrote: »
    Don't confuse that with DMR R District (Malahide) - all the regular Gardaí out our way have R on the epaulette.

Yup my bad, forgot the owl GR .

sdeire wrote: »
    Don't confuse that with DMR R District (Malahide and a couple of others I think, although I know Coolock is J) - all the regular Gardaí out our way have R on the epaulette.

Coolock is R too , Romeo: a:Coolock b:Malahide c:Swords . Near knew that, always though it was H with Santry and Ballymun. No wonder I though I was seen an awful lot more reserves than usual !

Is this still used ? Or is it just GR without the blue ?

60px-Garda_09.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Coolock is R too , Romeo: a:Coolock b:Malahide c:Swords . Near knew that, always though it was H with Santry and Ballymun. No wonder I though I was seen an awful lot more reserves than usual !

60px-Garda_09.png

Always thought Coolock was J as you'd often see the no parking cones with J scrawled on them round Malahide Castle for gigs and that.

As for the epaulettes, I've never seen a reserve with a blue one in a hi-vis but maybe on a patrol jacket. Not sure.

60px-Garda_09.png

Yes it is still used. It's what trainee Reserves have to wear until Graduation and then it's handed over for the next in-take and their Graduation.

I'm sure everyone kept theirs on whilst in-training too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

60px-Garda_09.png

Yep, as K4S said, this is the training epaulette for Reserve Gardai (similar to the way that student Gardai wear light blue epaulettes during training.) Upon graduation the light blue sleeve is removed and replaced with standard epaulettes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭brotherrabbit

well done mate! still waiting for a start date my self!

Yep, as K4S said, this is the training epaulette for Reserve Gardai (similar to the way that student Gardai wear light blue epaulettes during training.) Upon graduation the light blue sleeve is removed and replaced with standard epaulettes.

Yep we all kept them on :D

Yep we all kept them on :D

Am I the only one who actually did? I hated them... Some regular customers took liberties when they seen them.

TylerIE wrote: »
    Am I the only one who actually did? I hated them... Some regular customers took liberties when they seen them.

mmmm of course we did, we do everything by the book dont ya know that !!:)

mmmm of course we did, we do everything by the book dont ya know that !!:)

always always wear your not-at-all discreet, bright-blue lapel during your training period ... How many times are we told that by the powers-that-be in Templemore :rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

How do the regular guards,the ones who have trained properly to become guards, feel about the part timers? I know that as a tradesman who served his time in a proper fashion I would not accept some johnnycomelately attempting to do my job.

How do the regular guards,the ones who have trained properly to become guards, feel about the part timers? I know that as a tradesman who served his time in a proper fashion I would not accept some johnnycomelately attempting to do my job.

mmm and welcome to you as well, well everyone is entitled to their opinion on this, and you have expressed yours.

But i doubt you will find your answer here tbh.:rolleyes:

Welcome along to our Garda Reserve forum. What is stopping you from asking that to the full-timers outside in the main ES forum? You will find very few full-timers would be in here reading about the training of the reserves.

Also, where are you getting this 'johnnycomelately' from? What experience of the Garda Reserves are your basing that on?

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Welcome along to our Garda Reserve forum. What is stopping you from asking that to the full-timers outside in the main ES forum? You will find very few full-timers would be in here reading about the training of the reserves.

Also, where are you getting this 'johnnycomelately' from? What experience of the Garda Reserves are your basing that on?

Well unfortunitly there are few and far trades anymore in this country, and most have been done away with, inc the bar trade, you just have to look in the bars now to see any 'johnnycomelately' can pull a pint, dont see them having a problem with it.

Well unfortunitly there are few and far trades anymore in this country, and most have been done away with, inc the bar trade, you just have to look in the bars now to see any 'johnnycomelately' can pull a pint, dont see them having a problem with it.

anybody can pull a pint, heck if I can then I can assure you that anybody can. That's not the 'pint' (excuse the pun) here though,

I'm asking from what experience of the GR's are they referring to GR's as 'johnnycomelately'?! :)

• Advertisement

anybody can pull a pint, heck if I can then I can assure you that anybody can. That's not the 'pint' (excuse the pun) here though,

I'm asking from what experience of the GR's are they referring to GR's as 'johnnycomelately'?! :)

mmm, well i would mark this one down to 'johnnycomelately' not having any experience in this field themselves, as they say paper never refuses ink. :D :pac:

mmm, well i would mark this one down to 'johnnycomelately' not having any experience in this field themselves, as they say paper never refuses ink. :D :pac:

Oh I know no paper refused ink, though the head behind the wording could at times do with more work and not have it handed to them ;)

Oh I know no paper refused ink, though the head behind the wording could at times do with more work and not have it handed to them ;)

so so true !!;)

How do the regular guards,the ones who have trained properly to become guards,

Reserve Gardai are trained properly to be Gardai.

They have completed the training prescribed by the Garda Commisioner under Section 15.2 and 15.4.b of the Garda Siochana Act 2005, and are subsequently appointed to the Rank of Reserve Garda. They also undergo the same vetting procedure and medical as all other members of AGS.

Their training is a programme which prepares them to support other Members of AGS in the execution of their duties.

So on your definition of "regular guards" as those who have "Trained properly" then your answer can be found among all the posts by reserves here.
    I know that as a tradesman who served his time in a proper fashion I would not accept some johnnycomelately attempting to do my job.

I worked (and occasionally still do) as a Licensed Healthcare Professional. I welcomed members of the voluntary services who had various degrees of training, when they came to support me in my role.

Did you have untrained laborers helping you in the boom? Surely they were a welcome aide when the option was you on your own for hours, or you supervising an assistant.

They have completed the training prescribed by the Garda Commisioner under Section 15.4.b of the Garda Siochana Act 2005, and are subsequently appointed to the Rank of Reserve Garda. They also undergo the same vetting procedure and medical as all other members of AGS.

Their training is a programme which prepares them to support other Members of AGS in the execution of their duties.

So on your definition of "regular guards" as those who have "Trained properly" then your answer can be found amount all the posts by reserves here.

Nail on the head with that one, top marks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have completed the training prescribed by the Garda Commisioner under Section 15.4.b of the Garda Siochana Act 2005, and are subsequently appointed to the Rank of Reserve Garda. They also undergo the same vetting procedure and medical as all other members of AGS.

So on your definition of "regular guards" as those who have "Trained properly" then your answer can be found among all the posts by reserves here.

I worked (and occasionally still do) work as a Healthcare Professional. I welcomed members of the voluntary services who had various degrees of training, when they came to support me in my role.

Did you have untrained laborers helping you in the boom? Surely they were a welcome aide when the option was you on your own for hours, or you supervising an assistant.

Now, would the "realdanbreen" please stand up and tell us your thoughts on this reply?

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

Guys... This poster loaded his post to stir us up... Not worth the reply to his/her post... Crawl back to the trade that you are so called qualified at. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

Kerry I'm just wondering about your earlier post...Surely they are not going to stop Reserve recruitment? The station rang me 2 weeks ago telling me my local interview should of been done five weeks ago and I'm on the list to see the super. He's since been promoted to chief super (I'm from x) the wait is torture! Have you heard something? can you PM me? Thanks! Guy's congrats on getting the call/E-mail. Best of luck to ye down there!

Ruairi88 wrote: »
    Kerry I'm just wondering about your earlier post...Surely they are not going to stop Reserve recruitment? The station rang me 2 weeks ago telling me my local interview should of been done five weeks ago and I'm on the list to see the super. He's since been promoted to chief super (I'm from KERRY ;) ) the wait is torture! Have you heard something? can you PM me? Thanks! Guy's congrats on getting the call/E-mail. Best of luck to ye down there!

I know you're not from Kerry. The initial aim when the Garda Reserve concept began was to reach 10% of the total of the full-time force. Since the moratorium commenced, their has been a substantial increase in the number of applicants applying for the GR's.

Now, seeing as they are still recruiting; holding interviews and conducting background checks they have not yet reached that 10%. However, not far off it either I would suspect ;)

Don't give up hope, yes their are rumours that it has ceased and they're working with what and who have applied thus far ... but look, their are always rumours going around.

Best of Luck in your own interview though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

On the basis that they 'train' for all of what? 20 hours or something?

Advertisement