Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

On the basis that they 'train' for all of what? 20 hours or something?

Well, easy to know that you are not qualified at reading anyhow... Go away lad and do some research... For me a reserve for over 4 years, I am still learning, doing courses etc... And while I was doing my training which was spread over 9 months in total (2 full weekends of training (garda College) and over 120 hours of on the job training/legal CPD classes) from phase 1 to 5. This excludes the legal study I did outside of this on my own time. These are only the min that each GR does in training and I do know that some GR's on phase 4 would have completed well over 120-180 hours alone on this phase. GR's are in terms of length of training involved and quality/subtance of training are the best trained in Europe and one of the best trained in the world. Your two posts regarding this subject only shows me your ignorance that you hold on this subject and the amount of research you apply to an issue that you post about!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

How do the regular guards,the ones who have trained properly to become guards, feel about the part timers? I know that as a tradesman who served his time in a proper fashion I would not accept some johnnycomelately attempting to do my job.

Well look who found his way back: Hello again. First off, you're posts are borderline breach of our forum charter # No flaming, trolling or personal abuse. your posts are begin to ignite anger; are not informative and as such are coming across as insulting, to be honest.

Now, can you help me out here by answering these for me please:

- You don't appear to be somebody who has a genuine interest in the Garda Reserve concept, or am I wrong?
    - You still haven't asked outside for views on full-timers on Garda Reserves working with them, in the stations and on the units ... why not?

Now, We, yes WE are not ATTEMPTING to do anything: we are fully trained to the standard that the-powers-that-be determined was sufficient for volunteers, yes you did read that right - VOLUNTEERS, some of whom would be working and studying outside of the Garda Reserves.

Below would give you an idea of the training we under-take:
    Training Programme
    Phase 1: 2 Day Induction Course in the Garda College, Templemore Co. Tipperary covering the following areas: Introduction to An Garda Síochána, Human Rights, Discipline, Ethics and Organisational Culture. This course takes place over a weekend (Saturday and Sunday)
    Phase 2: 56 Hours (minimum) training to be delivered in 3 hour modules over evenings and weekends. This training will include legal instruction on the Road Traffic Acts, Arrestable Offences, Assaults, Public Order, Garda Powers, Taking Crime Reports and Garda IT systems
    Phase 3: 2 days training consisting of role play exercises, radio procedures, self-defence and handcuff techniques. This training takes place over a weekend (Saturday and Sunday)
    Phase 4: 40 Hours on-the-job training at evenings and weekends at local station to include accompanied beat patrol and station duty

Have you any further questions that we would be able to answer to put your mind at ease on the GR concept?

Bare in mind, any more flaming won't be tolerated in here,
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

realdanbreen, you obliviously dont have anything to contribute on this subject, except contempt for the Reserve Garda that give up their free time, "YES FREE" time, to help their communities and give something back to society, maybe one day you will need their services for what ever reason, then you will understand the concept, and be glad they where there to help you, or a family member etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

TylerIE wrote: »
    Reserve Gardai are trained properly to be Gardai.

They have completed the training prescribed by the Garda Commisioner under Section 15.2 and 15.4.b of the Garda Siochana Act 2005, and are subsequently appointed to the Rank of Reserve Garda. They also undergo the same vetting procedure and medical as all other members of AGS.

Their training is a programme which prepares them to support other Members of AGS in the execution of their duties.

So on your definition of "regular guards" as those who have "Trained properly" then your answer can be found among all the posts by reserves here.

I worked (and occasionally still do) as a Licensed Healthcare Professional. I welcomed members of the voluntary services who had various degrees of training, when they came to support me in my role.

Did you have untrained laborers helping you in the boom? Surely they were a welcome aide when the option was you on your own for hours, or you supervising an assistant.

Realdanbreen, whatever trade your in must not involve the use of facts or research.

I base this on two facts:
    -You didnt address my comment, where I had the courtesy to answer your original question.

- Nor did you do any research before making a broad sweeping statement on "20 hours".

Kerry has kindly went to the trouble of outlining the Reserve Garda training programme as originally designed, and alluded to the fact that the training programme often FAR exceeds the 120 hours prescribed.

I think this poster is looking for more in depth information, and is on a quest for something or is someone looking for a story, i personally will not be further replying to any more comments from this poster, so they can fill there boots at my and the Reserves expense for a story line.

• Advertisement

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    I think this poster is looking for more in depth information, and is on a quest for something or is someone looking for a story, i personally will not be further replying to any more comments from this poster, so they can fill there boots at my and the Reserves expense for a story line.

Na ZA, disagree... The poster is only trying to stir it up in here... Waste of time replying any further - agree there with you..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Sorry for not replying separately to each poster but I am a busy man.
    Munster4868 after telling me to 'crawl back to my trade'-thats classy btw-says I
    don't do enough research before I post. Frankly I have a life and don't feel I need to study or research for a social forum.

Kerry4sam says my posts are borderline abusive,insulting,flaming(whatever that is). The simple truth is they are not but hey,someone will come up with that catchall term 'trolling' to have me banned.

Zonealarm says I have 'contempt' for the reserve force.I just hope he never has to present facts to a court because he's basing that statement on his own imagination.

The fact is I expressed a casual interest as to how the reserves feel they are regarded by the fulltime members of the force seeing as when they were being spoken about first the Garda unions were dead set against them.
    Obviously some of ye feel a bit tetchy & uptight about being asked that.

How do the regular guards,the ones who have trained properly to become guards, feel about the part timers? I know that as a tradesman who served his time in a proper fashion I would not accept some johnnycomelately attempting to do my job.

Kerry4sam says my posts are borderline abusive,insulting,flaming(whatever that is). The simple truth is they are not but hey,someone will come up with that catchall term 'trolling' to have me banned.
    The fact is I expressed a casual interest as to how the reserves feel they are regarded by the fulltime members of the force seeing as when they were being spoken about first the Garda unions were dead set against them.

Hey,
    Thanks for your reply,

The simple truth is yes your two posts quoted above by me can be viewed as flaming.
    To help you save time in your busy life: here is a definition of flaming for you, no need to thank me, you're welcome :)

I have personally never had any ounce of bother from any full-timers. In fact, on my first day, I'll never forget: Guards came from everywhere & everyone greeted me with a hand-shake and a welcome and tried to assist me when they could. It really helped me feel at ease, I wasn't expecting that response and to be fair to all at my station, that has never changed! If they have any issues with reserves, they're doing well in hiding them from me!

I re-state: research research research... Having a life has nothing to do with the fact that you made a statement of fact: 20 hours of training was all reserves done! INCORRECT: Also, your first post was loaded to get a reaction like this.. Was this done deliberate- me thinks so- I do have a life outside of here which involves the GR among other things and when someone loads a statement with incorrect statements of facts I tend to set the record straight, usually what I would expect to follow is that the original poster looks into my post.. Researchs the facts I stated, finds them to be correct and humbly excepts the now correct facts and moves on... But with you none of this happened! Why, because I think you got what you wanted in your own head which was these reactions! Sorry to disappoint you but I ain't troubled by any of your posts and wouldn't lose sleep because of you stating that you would never except someone in your trade coming in and giving a dig out like we do... I suppose it's the GR's unique quality that sets us apart from others 'we help out others, even when others are against us'... But in a nut shell I WILL answer you question, the 'REAL GUARDS' have absolutely no problem with us, they treat us the same as they treat any other person wearing the uniform of AGS, they are delighted that help is there especially in this tough economic time. I finsh by saying 'never believe what you read in the press/papers..

----

----
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realdanbreen
    ----
    Sorry for not replying separately to each poster but I am a busy man.
    Munster4868 after telling me to 'crawl back to my trade'-thats classy btw-says I
    don't do enough research before I post. Frankly I have a life and don't feel I need to study or research for a social forum.

Zonealarm says I have 'contempt' for the reserve force.I just hope he never has to present facts to a court because he's basing that statement on his own imagination.

If your going to use phrases like "johnny come lately" and a random definition of regular Gardai then you do need to do your research. This is not quite a social forum I believe, its designed for those who have questions surrounding recruitment, not those who throw in insulting granades then cant be bothered to read the responses, particularly those that would explain why you got the responses you did.

I feel tetchy when anybody decides to declare (not ask) that reserves are johnnycomelatelys who train for 20 hours. Many reserves go through 1-2 years of procedural issues prior to undergoing training.

Unlike "johnnycomelatelys" in your trade, Reserve Gardai join their regular colleagues in facing violent and upsetting situations and occasionally even armed criminals, on a voluntary basis. Many Regular Gardai (who we would understand to be full time members of the organisation) be glad of the extra assistance during busy periods, and welcome the life experience and variance that reserves bring to the organisation. The only generalised complaints I see about Reserves are what you see - the newspapers, and as others have said here "paper never refuses ink".

Many reserves are equally busy with full time jobs, families, and their GR commitments, so saying your "too busy" to read a response is quite insulting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

The reserves are now a valuable asset to the force..And are much appreciated in the station where i operate out of..
    They could do with a lot more of us from what i see with all the curtailments due to austerity measures...

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Hey,
    Thanks for your reply,

The simple truth is yes your two posts quoted above by me can be viewed as flaming.
    To help you save time in your busy life: here is a definition of flaming for you, no need to thank me, you're welcome :)

I have personally never had any ounce of bother from any full-timers. In fact, on my first day, I'll never forget: Guards came from everywhere & everyone greeted me with a hand-shake and a welcome and tried to assist me when they could. It really helped me feel at ease, I wasn't expecting that response and to be fair to all at my station, that has never changed! If they have any issues with reserves, they're doing well in hiding them from me!

Glad to see that your experience has been good kerryman.

I re-state: research research research... Having a life has nothing to do with the fact that you made a statement of fact: 20 hours of training was all reserves done! INCORRECT: Also, your first post was loaded to get a reaction like this.. Was this done deliberate- me thinks so- I do have a life outside of here which involves the GR among other things and when someone loads a statement with incorrect statements of facts I tend to set the record straight, usually what I would expect to follow is that the original poster looks into my post.. Researchs the facts I stated, finds them to be correct and humbly excepts the now correct facts and moves on... But with you none of this happened! Why, because I think you got what you wanted in your own head which was these reactions! Sorry to disappoint you but I ain't troubled by any of your posts and wouldn't lose sleep because of you stating that you would never except someone in your trade coming in and giving a dig out like we do... I suppose it's the GR's unique quality that sets us apart from others 'we help out others, even when others are against us'... But in a nut shell I WILL answer you question, the 'REAL GUARDS' have absolutely no problem with us, they treat us the same as they treat any other person wearing the uniform of AGS, they are delighted that help is there especially in this tough economic time. I finsh by saying 'never believe what you read in the press/papers..

Glad to see you 'ain't troubled by my posts' and won't lose any sleep.
    I am also glad the full time guards have 'no problem' with you. I am also glad (and a little surprised)that the reservations expressed by the Garda unions about what they termed 'civilians' having access to files on citizens appears to have been put to one side.

Glad to see you 'ain't troubled by my posts' and won't lose any sleep.
    I am also glad the full time guards have 'no problem' with you. I am also glad (and a little surprised)that the reservations expressed by the Garda unions about what they termed 'civilians' having access to files on citizens appears to have been put to one side.

I am glad your glad. Oh, the AGS of all ranks don't have unions they have associations. They can not have a union by law!
    And, I stand corrected here, but aren't the full time members citizens also!!!! :eek:
    As was stated in pervious posts we go through the same procedure as full time members do and sign up to the SAME LAWS governing Full Time Members of AGS.

Anymore questions now!

I am glad your glad. Oh, the AGS of all ranks don't have unions they have associations. They can not have a union by law!
    And, I stand corrected here, but aren't the full time members citizens also!!!! :eek:
    As was stated in previous posts we go through the same procedure as full time members do and sign up to the SAME LAWS governing AGS.

Anymore questions now!

Why bother to answer questions google is there if he wishes to use it !

http://lmgtfy.com/

As was stated in pervious posts we go through the same procedure as full time members do and sign up to the SAME LAWS governing Full Time Members of AGS.

Anymore questions now!

I agree that should they have further questions, to allow them to ask the questions. That is the whole idea behind a discussion forum after all :)

Anymore questions now!

I should of course have used associations instead of unions but as you seemed to be struggling in earlier posts with the use of the words 'except' and 'accept' I 'deliberately'(another word you had a problem with)used the shorter word union.
    And of course you know full well what I meant about the guards being concerned about reserves having access to confidential files but you chose to rawmaish abouut unions vs associations rather than address the question.

I should of course have used associations instead of unions but as you seemed to be struggling in earlier posts with the use of the words 'except' and 'accept' I 'deliberately'(another word you had a problem with)used the shorter word union.
    And of course you know full well what I meant about the guards being concerned about reserves having access to confidential files but you chose to rawmaish abouut unions vs associations rather than address the question.

You still have failed to acknowledge the actual training and role undertaken by Reserve Gardai and Trainee Reserve Gardai.

We all make typos every now and again (about) so please excuse any I make, it happens a lot when typing quickly.

Munster appropriately addressed your questions re confidential files. Why should Full time Gardai be worried about confidentiality when reserves go through the exact same vetting process??? YOu again skirted this answer.

This indicates to me that you came here to abuse someone (now Munster) rather than just ask a question.

In the assumption that you may have just asked an innocent question originally I happily answered regarding training, yet you still skirt away from facts.

You still have failed to acknowledge the actual training and role undertaken by Reserve Gardai and Trainee Reserve Gardai.

We all make typos every now and again (about) so please excuse any I make, it happens a lot when typing quickly.

Munster appropriately addressed your questions re confidential files. Why should Full time Gardai be worried about confidentiality when reserves go through the exact same vetting process??? YOu again skirted this answer.

This indicates to me that you came here to abuse someone (now Munster) rather than just ask a question.

In the assumption that you may have just asked an innocent question originally I happily answered regarding training, yet you still skirt away from facts.

This won't be happening.

Now, 'realdanbreen'
    - have you re-read the replies on here?
    - have you anything constructive to add to the discussion instead of picking at typo's?
    - Any other questions you want to ask: ask them to all, and not just single in on one poster.

I'm asking you this once & I'm advising you comply with these moderator instructions.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

This won't be happening.

Now, 'realdanbreen'
    - have you re-read the replies on here?
    - have you anything constructive to add to the discussion instead of picking at typo's?
    - Any other questions you want to ask: ask them to all, and not just single in on one poster.

I'm asking you this once & I'm advising you comply with these moderator instructions.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Fair enough and to answer your questions,
    I have read the replies, one poster is indignant that I referred to 20 hours training instead of 120 hours. Two posters answered my question about whether they were accepted,both were welcomed with open arms.
    I didn't of course pick on any typos, rather another poster fudged about my use of the word union and I explained why I used it.

And seeing as your asking yes I probably will have another question or two to ask which I will ask to all.

• Advertisement

Fair enough and to answer your questions,
    I have read the replies, one poster is indignant that I referred to 20 hours training instead of 120 hours. Two posters answered my question about whether they were accepted,both were welcomed with open arms.
    I didn't of course pick on any typos, rather another poster fudged about my use of the word union and I explained why I used it.

And seeing as your asking yes I probably will have another question or two to ask which I will ask to all.

Okay, fair enough. Thanks for working with me here. Anything else, just ask away & ask everyone.
    GR's are always willing to assist once they are met half-way in response. Just a tip there for you ;)
    I know not everyone knows about the GR's, jeez in one thread on boards their was reference to reserves "being there for show". GR's do experience hard-times by some people, you have to understand that.

You are new in here and your entrance left alot to be desired and it did rattle a few including myself so I'm sure if we all meet half-way, your questions will be answered.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

@ everyone:

I'm asking that everyone receives an open-minded approach. Not everyone knows something about the Garda Reserve's. I know that some then know everything! We will always have new posters in here, in our discussion forum, & I'm asking that all receive a fair response. Keep an open-mind and allow people to learn more about the Garda Reserves is all I'm asking of everyone.

If you're not happy with something, just pm me like some of you already are. It will always be dealt with.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Altezza98

Hi, Just a few questions for those in the reserves:
    1/ Any advice on what to take when go over for phase one?
    2/ Do you have to eat out, or is food provided while there?
    3/ What are the do's and donts while over there?
    4/ Is there any exams while you are there?
    5/ Is there anyone else starting on the 14th of OCT ;)

If people dont want to answer these questions on the open forum, Please feel free to PM me.

RGDs
    Damien

Altezza98 wrote: »
    Hi, Just a few questions for those in the reserves:

1/ Any advice on what to take when go over for phase one?
    Smart casual clothing and sports wear as you are probably aware. Bring at least 2-3 tees and comfortable runners.

2/ Do you have to eat out, or is food provided while there?
    Food is provided, the kitchen staff are lovely. Some people get sandwiches etc late in the evening at "Polly's" the pub across the road, but you get breakfast, lunch and dinner in house.

3/ What are the do's and donts while over there?
    Do respect the regular members and all ranks there. Know that a sergeant has the three chevrons on the shoulder, and until told otherwise Id refer to them as sergeant. Epaulettes (Shoulder markings): A superintendant has a red bar with a kinda diamond shape above it, and an inspector has the red bar. A superintendant is called "Superintendant" and an Inspector is called "Inspector". They are all VERY nice but its appropriate to use correct titles.

Dont be messing around with the uniform etc when getting fitted.

Sounds so obvious, but some people dont get it. Under no circumstances allow yourself to get drunk. If you cant handle your drink or know your limits dont drink. The training guards etc are guards - they will know if your drunk or hungover, and it wont go down well, plus the PE element can be quite exerting.

Make sure your on time for everything - classes in the morning, after lunch, etc. It can be difficult with going from PE to a theory class but just try your best.

4/ Is there any exams while you are there?
    Phase III contains some practical exams. While Phase I doesnt contain exams, some of the theory from it can be examined in phase II. During the practical exams in phase III you are examined in a manner where you need to demonstrate the knowledge you learned in phase I and II.

Thanks for the info TylerIE , , ;)

I have a few more questions.
    1/ Do I enter at the main gate, I will be driving so do I park inside the college or outside at the golf club area and walk over?
    2/ Should I take pens, paper with me?

Altezza98 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info TylerIE , , ;)

I have a few more questions.
    1/ Do I enter at the main gate, I will be driving so do I park inside the college
    or outside at the golf club area and walk over?

You can enter via Main Gate and park beside the accommodation. One of the times we were there they asked us to park cars at the golf course as it was going to be busy in the grounds. When you report to the Guard at the gate he will advise. He definately will let you bring your car in to unload your luggage.
    2/ Should I take pens, paper with me?
    I would bring a few pens and paper with you. No need for a school bag type setup, a notebook and pen is enough. Take note of the Human Rights lectures if you wish, its easier than learning the reams of stuff in your folder, and the most important parts are those listed in the lectures. Edit: Obviously read the folder, but the stuff to learn by heart is the stuff that you get told in the lectures.

Its not essential to take notes, very few people did (like only 3/4), but if you normally like having notes then its no harm.

Have pens for phase III definately, its embarrassing and a bit like something out of Police Academy if your given a scenario and you have to ask the examiner for a pen or share it with your group. A pencil will allow you to write outdoors in the rain.

I've just been reading through this thread from the beginning and wondering if their are any of those posters who would've started back way when ... could send me a pm I'd appreciate it :)

Thanks,

Thats geat info TylerIE, Thanks a million. It's nice to talk to someone that has the info :)

I've just been reading through this thread from the beginning and wondering if their are any of those posters who would've started back way when ... could send me a pm I'd appreciate it :)

Thanks,

Sorry for writing on the board, just I dont get your question?

• Advertisement

Sorry for writing on the board, just I dont get your question?

:eek: you wrote on the board, my God like what next! :p

I'm asking for those who applied and were writing on this thread way back when ... ( the reserves was just starting up etc ) to send me on a pm

:)

Advertisement