Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Out of curiousity-and ye needn't all jump down my throat-what do ye think of the suggestion that members of the reserve force be drawn from among the 450k unemployed people?
    We were talking in the pub the other night about this(mind you it was well after hours and fellas were keeping the voice down so I couldn't hear everything)and the consensus was it would be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

Out of curiousity-and ye needn't all jump down my throat-what do ye think of the suggestion that members of the reserve force be drawn from among the 450k unemployed people?
    We were talking in the pub the other night about this(mind you it was well after hours and fellas were keeping the voice down so I couldn't hear everything)and the consensus was it would be a good idea.

All applicants are considered irrelevant of employment/social status and if they meet the criteria set out by AGS they would progress to do the training program and train to become a Reserve Garda. The role of the Reserve Garda is one that is voluntarily and is not paid.

There are also many other organisations that contribute to the community that would welcome people who find themself unemployed.

I do know many Reserves that have become unemployed while serving in the Reserves and were unemployed when they applied for the Reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Do you mean it should be compulsary for people to become Reserve Gardai while unemployed, or do you mean that only unemployed persons should be considered to be appointed as Reserve Gardai in the future.

Its not really a role for people to be "forced into". While I would love to see those on Jobseekers Allowance being required to participate in some voluntary work it certainly should not be that it MUST be the Garda Reserve. The idea of the GR is that it is a voluntary role and should attract people who are only doing it to benefit their community or to learn about the role of a Garda as they wish to become a full-time Garda.

The admissions and training can mean that from application to graduation can be 18months - 2 years, so hopefully most unemployed people would have found work over that period.
    Also if forced to join as a condition of claiming benefits, and the person subsequently gets gainful employment, then would they just leave? That would be a significant loss to the state. In its current form, those who join do so as they have a real interest, not because its mandatory, and with the prolonged application and training process they are somewhat unlikely to leave after just a few months.

Being a Reserve Garda may also limit a persons options for employment should they subsequently seek same - e.g. they would not be allowed hold certain licensed roles (publican, taxi) and there could be a conflict of interest if they were to work in other roles (pubs/clubs/legal services/etc). Even if AGS accepted it, not many pubs (or dedicated reserves) Would want to have members of AGS working behind a bar after hours.

If you mean only unemployed persons should be considered this gives no net benefit to society - Reserve Gardai are not paid so therefore unemployed persons would not benefit financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dan1994

H

So what you loose your job and your forced to join the reserves???? You and your mates must be very short of things to talk about down the boozer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Dan1994 wrote: »
    H

So what you loose your job and your forced to join the reserves???? You and your mates must be very short of things to talk about down the boozer

No dan I didn't 'loose' my job , in fact I didn't lose it either. I'm surprised you find the reserves aren't worth talking about, have you had a bad experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dan1994

No dan I didn't 'loose' my job , in fact I didn't lose it either. I'm surprised you find the reserves aren't worth talking about, have you had a bad experience?

oops sorry a/hole i incorrectly spelled 'lose' , i never said i was a reserve are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Goldielocks!!

kerry4sam wrote: »
    ha ha! :D When did you start your initial training?

/ from what I remember though, it was all over by lunchtime ;)

I last trained in Garda college2010..r December ...I would imagine that Reserve force is nearly at full capacity at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

H

oops sorry a/hole i incorrectly spelled 'lose' , i never said i was a reserve are you?

This will honestly be the ONLY warning to two of you will get. Infractions will follow if petty bickering and nonsense continues. If you're not happy with a post or even a reply, then report it & it will be taken care of!

No further Replies or Comments on this,
    Back on topic

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

just to get off the last subject which went nowhere.

I am just wondering has anyone here thats a GR ever been assaulted or attempted while on duty??

And is there insurance policy there for them??

I am just wondering has anyone here thats a GR ever been assaulted or attempted while on duty??

Assaults and attempted assaults are quite common for all guards. It seems to be part of the job - if a guard steps into a row there can be stray punches etc.

I know some reserves have been assaulted. I dont know what the most severe was. A friend who is a reserve (before I was involved) had significant facial bruising after he came home from duty one day.

Re Insurance I dont know how much of that info is published! If your considering joining the GR Office would be happy to answer those questions

• Advertisement

cheers bud just wanted to hear that sort of story about the job instead of people talking about the arrests and usual blue light and shiney jackets and thing like that need to ask something different and the risks invovles i know there self explanatory and they are the obvious risks but just like to know if its happened to anyone on here

cheers bud just wanted to hear that sort of story about the job instead of people talking about the arrests and usual blue light and shiney jackets and thing like that need to ask something different and the risks invovles i know there self explanatory and they are the obvious risks but just like to know if its happened to anyone on here

I bumped into a reserve today who also has had a fair amount of experience of the less glamorous side in the city - being stuck in some quiet road at the back end of nowhere for events in Dublin... Its far from all glam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Bilko, Reserve Garda or Garda, the risks are all the same. I'm not a reserve, but before signing up this is the one thing I thought long and hard about.

Where I would be stationed, which could be anywhere. Then I though it dosen't really matter where I get stationed, the chances are always there of been assaulted/attacked/followed home/intimidated/slagged. So as you can see I put the fluting around in a high vis jacket with the word Garda on the back aside. On the plus side, I am doing something for the community/saving/aiding/helping/guiding/supporting people and Garda.

If you know any Garda, just ask them about your questions. Don't be fear full it's a hands on job in both a good and a bad way.

And like any job, I am sure there are good and bad parts to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

i looked into this and spoke to the reserve office, we are covered by 2 pieces of law, just like a full member.

msg11 wrote: »
    Bilko, Reserve Garda or Garda, the risks are all the same. I'm not a reserve, but before signing up this is the one thing I thought long and hard about.

Where I would be stationed, which could be anywhere. Then I though it dosen't really matter where I get stationed, the chances are always there of been assaulted/attacked/followed home/intimidated/slagged. So as you can see I put the fluting around in a high vis jacket with the word Garda on the back aside. On the plus side, I am doing something for the community/saving/aiding/helping/guiding/supporting people and Garda.

If you know any Garda, just ask them about your questions. Don't be fear full it's a hands on job in both a good and a bad way.

And like any job, I am sure there are good and bad parts to it.

Msg11 I know it is hands on believe me I know im from an area of Dublin were i see gardai more than my friends but I am taekwondo fighter so im use to hands on and would not need to worry otherwise...Also I have asked around and I have been told stories but what i wanted to do was mainly change the subject from what was been talked about to something that maybe of use to whoever may read the comments..Thank you for your input but also i might add the ratio of gardai to garda reserve getting assaulted is far greater for obviuos reasons but i wanted to put this clear I WAS CHANGING THE SUBJECT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

I last trained in Garda college2010..r December ...I would imagine that Reserve force is nearly at full capacity at this stage.

There is even 900 attested so how would it be at full capacity? they want 1,400 Reserves! I heard on Monday night from a Super that they will work with what they have in the system and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ghost86

Ruairi88 wrote: »
    There is even 900 attested so how would it be at full capacity? they want 1,400 Reserves! I heard on Monday night from a Super that they will work with what they have in the system and that's it.

I am waiting on a medical for the past five months. I am at an advanced stage ie. I met with super etc. Would I be considered 'in the system' according to the super that you where talking to??

ghost86 wrote: »
    I am waiting on a medical for the past five months. I am at an advanced stage ie. I met with super etc. Would I be considered 'in the system' according to the super that you where talking to??

With all due respect to that Superintendent, they would not actually know the answer to your question.

I don't want people worrying on here about the limit. Seriously, don't. It won't be of any benefit.

I wish everyone well in the remaining stages but guys, you have to let it run its' own course in good time. Their are still places left & yes to you ghost, you would be considered at an advanced place but that might not mean anything if someone else has background checks complete in a shorter time-frame.

Their really is no way of knowing, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ghost86

I know kerry, thats the worst thing about it - 'the not knowing'. But if its for me I'll get it I suppose:)

Kerry with the up-most respect to you I think the Super is in a better position to answer that. And the wait is irritating I know you are already a member so it's easier for you to say. I do respect the fact that you had to play "the waiting game" also but in Fairness to Ghost like 5 months for a medical I'm waiting since March to do my medical and meet my local super.

Ghost you are in an advanced stage so I wouldn't be worrying and in fairness to the crew in the Garda Reserve office they like every other department in the Gardai are short on numbers so I do understand it takes time however it's still frustrating!

Kerry not having a dig or a go.

• Advertisement

Kerry with the up-most respect to you I think the Super is in a better position to answer that. And the wait is irritating I know you are already a member so it's easier for you to say. I do respect the fact that you had to play "the waiting game" also but in Fairness to Ghost like 5 months for a medical I'm waiting since March to do my medical and meet my local super.

Ghost you are in an advanced stage so I wouldn't be worrying and in fairness to the crew in the Garda Reserve office they like every other department in the Gardai are short on numbers so I do understand it takes time however it's still frustrating!

to answer what exactly is the Superintendent in a better position? Just curious.

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Kerry with the up-most respect to you I think the Super is in a better position to answer that.

At the end of the day all they do is pass on your info to the reserves office, there is no way they are going to know what will happen.

1 in regards to your background checks.

2 If training is going to be halted due to funds.

3 If the required target has been met or not.

The Super is speaking to you with his/her media shoes on.

Guys... I am lost here... But putting it simply... You are called when you are called... The process can take 3months or up to 2 years + the stage usually slows up at the BR check stage... Supers / chiefs or the like won't be able to answer the question of when am I starting training unless they pick up the phone and ask he GR office and they still mightn't get the answer. If you have or had relatives living aboard then the clearances has to be done by that countries police service so it's really like asking "how long is q piece of string"...Kerry was just trying to reassure people that with q little bit of patience it will happen... And at the end there is still a medical to pass.

Respect to the people offering advice in here.

Guys... I am lost here... But putting it simply... You are called when you are called... The process can take 3months or up to 2 years + the stage usually slows up at the BR check stage... Supers / chiefs or the like won't be able to answer the question of when am I starting training unless they pick up the phone and ask he GR office and they still mightn't get the answer. If you have or had relatives living aboard then the clearances has to be done by that countries police service so it's really like asking "how long is q piece of string"...Kerry was just trying to reassure people that with q little bit of patience it will happen... And at the end there is still a medical to pass.

Respect to the people offering advice in here.

Hi Munster, I fully respect all users of Boards.ie and Kerry is no different. Kerry I just stated that as it is obvious his rank alone commands that he would be well informed on the Reserve situation. I like you am also aware that we can't believe everything we hear if that was the case I'd be passed out of Templemore 3 years. I'm also grateful to Kerry as he gave me solid adivice regarding the Garda Reserve.

It's just the wait that is torture but hey what's for you wont pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Hi Munster, I fully respect all users of Boards.ie and Kerry is no different. Kerry I just stated that as it is obvious his rank alone commands that he would be well informed on the Reserve situation. I like you am also aware that we can't believe everything we hear if that was the case I'd be passed out of Templemore 3 years. I'm also grateful to Kerry as he gave me solid adivice regarding the Garda Reserve.

Was no different for anyone else we all went thru the same wait, his/her Rank holds no bearing on the Garda Reserve, they would be more in tune in what is going on in their division, the reserves would not be one of there priorities tbh.

You hit the nail on the head If all this is about the waiting i can safely speak from experience that the wait is rewarding in itself and i got a call the otherday for my med after a long long wait so really its just matter of how bad you want it and in helping your community and others less fortunate. I am aiming to be a full timer and that is why i want to have every advantage at my side if i get the chance to show what i have done. Also i might say if you are more concerned about the wait you show do things that can take your mind of it as you said there are genuinly people on here that can help you like munster and kerry and others so if you need advice or anything drop a line and im sure someone can help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

You hit the nail on the head If all this is about the waiting i can safely speak from experience that the wait is rewarding in itself and i got a call the otherday for my med after a long long wait so really its just matter of how bad you want it and in helping your community and others less fortunate. I am aiming to be a full timer and that is why i want to have every advantage at my side if i get the chance to show what i have done. Also i might say if you are more concerned about the wait you show do things that can take your mind of it as you said there are genuinly people on here that can help you like munster and kerry and others so if you need advice or anything drop a line and im sure someone can help you.

so how long were you waiting Bilko, out of interest?

rounded off roughly 5 yr so i was told felt like that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭brotherrabbit

Well lads, just out of pure curiosity has any of the reserves that are attested been caught up in any of the riots in dub ( and else where in the country) and did ye get any special training..Im also fully aware we have a tactical riot squad, just curious to what extent reserves got caught up in the mess

• Advertisement

Well lads, just out of pure curiosity has any of the reserves that are attested been caught up in any of the riots in dub ( and else where in the country) and did ye get any special training..Im also fully aware we have a tactical riot squad, just curious to what extent reserves got caught up in the mess

Mightnt be the best thing to talk about on an open forum.
    Only my opinion!

Advertisement