Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

Yes indeed it can happen..SEPERATION..
    If And when it happens you should retrace your footsteps back to HQ..
    If you get lost and cant find your mobile phone.. THEN and only then AN emergency flair should be released and pointed towards the centre of town and make sure that you record all the details of your seperation in your report book for analysis by the SARGENT IN charge back at the station... Thats if you ever make your way back to the station...

BE CAREFUL OUT THEIR...:D...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gerryboy911

yup the flares come in handy. red for urgent assistance, blue for report to staion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Has anyone ever fallen in a foot chase?:P

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Tyron Jara wrote: »
    Has anyone ever fallen in a foot chase?:P

Everyone has at one time or another. So if they say they havent then they are telling lies.

Once fell off a wall but still managed to get back on my feet and catch the lad I was chasing. So if it does happen to you , just keep going . You may get some slagging back at the station but thats the culture. Laugh it off with your fellow members and be assured it wont be the last time it will happen.

All part of the great GR experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Raider190 wrote: »
    Everyone has at one time or another. So if they say they havent then they are telling lies.

Once fell off a wall but still managed to get back on my feet and catch the lad I was chasing. So if it does happen to you , just keep going . You may get some slagging back at the station but thats the culture. Laugh it off with your fellow members and be assured it wont be the last time it will happen.

All part of the great GR experience.

Haha thanks :D Ya I fell there recently ... kinda had the wind knocked out of me was back up and running (Not as fast due to having the wind knocked out of me) again. Felt a bit embaressed about it but we got our man and we had a good laugh about it after. Still kicking myself from how I tripped because of a split second look away from where I was running but anywho there will be plenty more haha:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Delta Alpha

What kind of duties do ye carryout when assisting the S/O? Can we sign off bail/temp.bail books etc?

What kind of duties do ye carryout when assisting the S/O? Can we sign off bail/temp.bail books etc?

Is it just me or is there a funny vibe to this post. ?????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

Ask your S/O

redsurfer wrote: »
    Ask your S/O

The correct title is SHO (Station House Officer)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

The correct title is SHO (Station House Officer)

When prisoners are being processed the gaoler in our station refers to the "Member in Charge" vs SHO, we just refer to them by their first name...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Delta Alpha

Station Orderly? No?

Could be slang going on in the station that I never copped:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭brotherrabbit

SHO isnt used in our station. Just member in charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Station Orderly? No?

Could be slang going on in the station that I never copped:o

Na I'd say your right.

Dublin does a few things a bit differently including they have a Sergeant who is Station House Officer or or something resembling that (SHO) instead of the situation outside where a Regular Guard is the Station Orderly (Just SO) and Member in Charge.

Duties in station are literally as detailed in the public domain - ie assist the orderly other than in the care and custody of prisoners - so perhaps answering phones, monitoring CCTV and dealing with front desk queries.

TylerIE wrote: »
    Na I'd say your right.

Dublin does a few things a bit differently including they have a Sergeant who is Station House Officer or SHO instead of the situation outside where a Regular Guard is the Station Orderly (SO) and Member in Charge.

Duties in station are literally as detailed in the public domain - ie assist the orderly other than in the care and custody of prisoners.

Correct

Station House Officer = Sgt in Charge
    Station House Orderly = Full time member
    Assistant to the Station House Orderly = Full time member or Reserve Member

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Assistant to the Station House Orderly = Full time member or Reserve Member

who is also refered to as the gaoler - whether theres anoyone in the cells or not

(but he/she as the gaoler would not be a reserve member)

WilcoOut wrote: »
    who is also refered to as the gaoler - whether theres anoyone in the cells or not

(but he/she as the gaoler would not be a reserve member)

Correct.

A Reserve will never have responsibilty for prisoners or their welfare.

On a totally seperate point.

Was thinking that its been a long time since there was a Reserve get together. Anyone interested ?. If so send me a pm and we can arrange to meet up for a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paulbolg

hey folks been in he reserves now for 3 years and love every minute of it, doesnt matter what job you go into your always gonna meet a sap but thats a minor thing, ive worked with so many different mules and the majority have been fantastic and they treat me as a regular member.

onto a second note is there any people on this stationed in limerick?

We have all heard that new powers are coming to the Reserve.

Have it on good authority that the new training modules are been worked on at the moment with the intention that training will forthcoming . So that will mean some more weekends in the college.

Assuming it will cover the basics plus training on the paper work which is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

We have all heard that new powers are coming to the Reserve.

Have it on good authority that the new training modules are been worked on at the moment with the intention that training will forthcoming . So that will mean some more weekends in the college.

Assuming it will cover the basics plus training on the paper work which is required.

And when is this supposed to be happening, as its been on the back burner for the last year, prob all talk yet again, and nothing will come of it, i would not get people hopes up too much.

bluetop wrote: »
    And when is this supposed to be happening, as its been on the back burner for the last year, prob all talk yet again, and nothing will come of it, i would not get people hopes up too much.

Bluetop , dont be so negative it is on the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭clayton1

public order powers i presume?

in a way, the less powers the better, in the sense that more will mean more court dates probably. This can cause hassle with work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

clayton1 wrote: »

in a way, the less powers the better, in the sense that more will mean more court dates probably. This can cause hassle with work etc.

Court can be minimised if statements etc are done by the Garda and if there is an effort made to combine court appearances. There is also the commonly used option of adult caution or fixed penalty for public order.

I disagree with the less powers approach. Reserves will really only be able to assist properly when they can actually follow through with their efforts on the street, rather than only doing verbal deescalation or having the reg take the arrest (thereby creating work).

It might also encourage more mentoring of reserves by regular members, as they will have practical skills to be mentored in.

Finally it will help those who are genuinely interested to demonstrate same. Those who make the effort will be easily recognised vs those who just want to wear the uniform or tick the reserve box when applying for the regular.

There will be teething problems, but that happens to everybody starting a new role.

clayton1 wrote: »

If they had modeled the Reserve force on the Uk counterpart of the Police Specials, what would you have done then ?, as they have to do the lot inc their own reports and attend court.

People knew when joining that this was coming down the line, you either want to be part of AGS or you dont, its not a game, or a way just to wear a uniform, as Tyler has said it will demonstrate those who are genuinely interested and make the effort, it will easily be recognised vs those who just want to wear the uniform or tick the reserve box when applying for the regular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Bluetop , dont be so negative it is on the way

I have been a Reserve for over four years now and I have lost count of the amount of times that I have heard we are getting new powers, so I will believe it when I actually see it. To those who think that new powers are not required and may involve more court time, bring it on I say, you signed up to do this, so if you are unable to attend court, well then you shouldn't be doing this. Also its high time that we got more powers/responsibilities, as what we currently have are a waste of time and not fit for purpose?

gilly2308 wrote: »
    I have been a Reserve for over four years now and I have lost count of the amount of times that I have heard we are getting new powers, so I will believe it when I actually see it. To those who think that new powers are not required and may involve more court time, bring it on I say, you signed up to do this, so if you are unable to attend court, well then you shouldn't be doing this. Also its high time that we got more powers/responsibilities, as what we currently have are a waste of time and not fit for purpose?

++++++1

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcoastboy

You don't have to go to court for most public order incidents....as a regular, anyway....It's my opinion, and mine only, that we turn up on a Friday a
    nd Saturday, and are told to sit in the back of a car...what a waste of time....will have five years done, in July..and feel, we were only used properly for 15% of that time....which is a shame.....
    We could have been used more effectively,...New powers...in the mist of this austerity programme..definitly be seen as "cheap" labour!..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

This is a very interesting video clip from You Tube about the Phoenix Police Reserves. We've a LONG LONG way to go!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_qDeIEks_E

'Phoenix Police Reserves have the same training and authority as sworn officers.The only difference is that they're volunteering their time and service'.

It appears the Phoenix Police Reserves have more power than the Full Time Irish Police!

DustyMan wrote: »
    This is a very interesting video clip from You Tube about the Phoenix Police Reserves. We've a LONG LONG way to go!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_qDeIEks_E

'Phoenix Police Reserves have the same training and authority as sworn officers.The only difference is that they're volunteering their time and service'.

It appears the Phoenix Police Reserves have more power than the Full Time Irish Police!

Ireland are a bit backward about doing things here, as you may be well aware, so where did our government look when doing their homework for reserves, you would think they would actually look across the pond, well you would be wrong, they actually went to canada to look at their set up and came home with it.

Here is a few lines from their set up does it look familiar to ours !!

Auxiliary Constables and Reserve Constables are terms used across Canada to describe the (primarily unpaid) volunteer police officers that many police services have as part of their organization.

The RCMP uses the term Auxiliary in describing their volunteer officers, as does some independent municipal, regional or provincial police services. However, many independent police services prefer the use of Reserve Constable to describe their volunteer officers.

Whether Auxiliary or Reserve Constable, they are supplemental to police service's full time sworn officer compliment. For the most part they assist in providing services to support community policing activities, special events, assist in general patrol with a full time officer, and in some cases, non enforcement traffic services.

In Canada, Auxiliary and Reserve Constables have limited authority and if in uniform they must be under the direct supervision of a full time sworn police officer.
    http://www.mypolice.ca/related_links/auxiliary-reserve_police.html

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭smiley963

Does anybody know of anyone that has passed there interview with super and that after BR checks started, they recieved a letter from Super looking for another interview any1 ever hear of this. ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 --Ryaner--

smiley963 wrote: »
    Does anybody know of anyone that has passed there interview with super and that after BR checks started, they recieved a letter from Super looking for another interview any1 ever hear of this. ???

Could just be something in your BR that he wants to ask you about might not be anything big just wants to clear up something maybe

Advertisement