Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Croatia

• 15-07-2008 2:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

I've be considering traveling to Croatia or somewhere similar, but I'll likely be travelling alone as none of my acquaintances would have any desire to see that region. I don't do sun hoidays so they'd have no real interest in accompanying me.

I'm wondering firstly what people's views are on Croatia and Balkans in general. Is it worth visiting? Is it expensive (I'm a student so that would be an issue) Are there many people who would speak a basic level of English should I require it or is a phrase book a must everywhere?

Secondly, what areas in particular are worth visiting and why?

Lastly, would it be very unsafe for a woman on her own (more than other countries) or is it about average in that regard?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I visited Dubrovnik and it is stunningly beautiful, amazing historic (and tragic) city, beautiful water and surrounding areas.
    Food wasn't my cup of tea.
    the locals were ... well not exactly friendly, but the country more than made up for it.
    They all had a good knowledge of English,
    I found the place, relatively expensive (I was expecting cheap drinks/food, but seemed to be avg), but still cheaper than dublin.

You can go sailing around various islands, and I am sure there will be lots of single travelers around, as plenty of world travelers head towards Croatia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Doop

Spent 2 weeks there last summer did alot of travelling around the islands and loved it, Dubrovnik is amazing, and easily accessible from the airport... think Ryanair fly in there, 4 days or so and you'd probably want to move on, although we didnt go much further than in and around the 'old town'. Didnt think it was particularlly cheap but then again we went to all the tourist areas. Absolutly loved Hvar, again not the cheapest... still cheaper then home tho! if you get self catering accom its not to difficult to cook for yourself... well at least breckfast and lunch... we were travelling in a big ish group so have no experience of Hostels. Bol is another really nice/ quite island.

Its probably easiest not to make definate plans and just move around as you please, and from what you hear from other travellers. The ladies of our group didnt experience any problems. And most people have good enough basic level of english espically if they are working in a tourist related business. Its the type of place you can incorporrate chilling on the beach and travelling around, so if your mates are only looking for a sun holiday, it could be a good comprismise, when we were there last July it was really hot... I dont like the whole sun holiday / package to spain either, but found this to be a happy medium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭raheny red

Doop wrote: »
    Spent 2 weeks there last summer did alot of travelling around the islands and loved it, Dubrovnik is amazing, and easily accessible from the airport... think Ryanair fly in there, 4 days or so and you'd probably want to move on, although we didnt go much further than in and around the 'old town'. Didnt think it was particularlly cheap but then again we went to all the tourist areas. Absolutly loved Hvar, again not the cheapest... still cheaper then home tho! if you get self catering accom its not to difficult to cook for yourself... well at least breckfast and lunch... we were travelling in a big ish group so have no experience of Hostels. Bol is another really nice/ quite island.

Its probably easiest not to make definate plans and just move around as you please, and from what you hear from other travellers. The ladies of our group didnt experience any problems. And most people have good enough basic level of english espically if they are working in a tourist related business. Its the type of place you can incorporrate chilling on the beach and travelling around, so if your mates are only looking for a sun holiday, it could be a good comprismise, when we were there last July it was really hot... I dont like the whole sun holiday / package to spain either, but found this to be a happy medium.

Heading there myself at the start of August. How much is the beer and food over there? Have accom sorted alredy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Thanks for the replies folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭crushproof

I'm heading Zadar in October with a couple of friends, anyone been? I was in Spilt and Pula briefly last year while qucikly travelling from Bosnia to Pula to catch a flight home!
    Found both places to be fairly expensive, Im presuming Zadar would be the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

My favourite country in the world to visit by a country mile

Go to Split or Dubrovnik, and then spend a couple of days exploring the islands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Doop

raheny red wrote: »
    Heading there myself at the start of August. How much is the beer and food over there? Have accom sorted alredy.

I cant really remember how much everything cost but i know we went over kinda expecting it to be all really cheap... beer & food in supermarkets are really cheap, i think for your average dinner in a resturant, your prob talking 10-15 (like a pizza and a few beers)

Hvar is expensive to go out on the piss for the night (which we managed to do every night) but its not suprising when u see the place, full of hugh expensive yatchs from all over the world.

If your there you have to rent one of the crappy little toursit boats (not sure what u'd call them they have an engine, but they sure arent speed boats) an visit the little islands, we had great crack doin that, just throwing over the anchor and going for a swim etc... watch out for them big yatchs tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭supertramp

i would highly recommend Dubrovnik and the islands Lapad, Lopud, Sipan, Mijlet.
    I thought the locals were incredibaly friendly. (including a bus driver who left a bus full of passengers and walked 50 yards to show me directions, to a taxi driver who let me send money by post when I didn't have enough to pay the fare!)
    It's the most expensive of the Balkan countries though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Tadhg17

thinking of going to Croatia in September, anybody gone inter-railing thru Croatia/Bosnia? thinking of going on a inter-railing trip round Bosnia and Croatia but I notice Dubrovnik has no railway.

Advertisement