Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registration and Orientation (Sept 1 - 5)

Options
  • 15-07-2008 2:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've applied to the CAO and have UCD as second choice after Trinity although I fear I won't get my first choice but I'll wait until Round 2.

But could anyone please help me? Apparently Registration and Orientation Week is on the first week of September and I have to register from 1 Sept to 5 Sept (even though Round 2 offers don't finish until 8 Sept!) Another problem I'm staying in Spain for about a week (have to go to a wedding) on the Registration and Orientation Week. Will I be able to register and pay my fees at a later date? And I've applied to Horizons, will I miss out on the opportunity to select my subject choices? I'm really stressed, can someone please give me advice!

Very much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

You register online so just have a computer handy. I don't get what you mean by saying you applied to horizons. 'Horizons' isn't a choice on the CAO as far as I know. Horizons is modularisation & what that entails.

What is your CAO second choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

UU - take a deep breath....from what I can remember you can choose your modules (registration) and then opt to pay fees later (after the 8th) and like UCD_ECON said it is all done online so you don't actually need to be in UCD to do it, unless the system decides to mess you about a bit.....but I've had success two out of three years so reckon you'll be fine!! But sure you never know you might get your first choice in the first round anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    You register online so just have a computer handy. I don't get what you mean by saying you applied to horizons. 'Horizons' isn't a choice on the CAO as far as I know. Horizons is modularisation & what that entails.

What is your CAO second choice?
    Oh really? that's so much more handy than Trinity! Crikey having to line up for ages outside the Exam Hall is annoying! Oh sorry I meant to say I've applied for Arts in UCD which of course encompasses the Horizons programme. So the first week isn't a necessity as long as I know what I'm doing? But will UCD send me details by email or sth about how to register n stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

spaceylou wrote: »
    UU - take a deep breath....from what I can remember you can choose your modules (registration) and then opt to pay fees later (after the 8th) and like UCD_ECON said it is all done online so you don't actually need to be in UCD to do it, unless the system decides to mess you about a bit.....but I've had success two out of three years so reckon you'll be fine!! But sure you never know you might get your first choice in the first round anyway :)
    Oh ok cool! Thanx for that it cleared a lot of things up for me! Btw do the classes then start in the second week of September? I'm guessing a lot of ppl don't start classes on time if they have only just registered!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

UU wrote: »
    Oh ok cool! Thanx for that it cleared a lot of things up for me! Btw do the classes then start in the second week of September? I'm guessing a lot of ppl don't start classes on time if they have only just registered!

Attend them anyway, thats what you are encouraged to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

as above said.you dont even need to show up till the xmas exams

orientation thingy:take it easy go if ya want,good chance to get your gang in the first few weeks imo,other wise,forget it.there are lots events held for freshers,have some fun.welcome to UCD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

So we go back the 8th this year?!!? :( Only a 1 week holiday in Sept for me now ;(

Fresher's week is the 2nd or 3rd week after we go back . . . ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Hi all,

I've applied to the CAO and have UCD as second choice after Trinity although I fear I won't get my first choice but I'll wait until Round 2.

But could anyone please help me? Apparently Registration and Orientation Week is on the first week of September and I have to register from 1 Sept to 5 Sept (even though Round 2 offers don't finish until 8 Sept!) Another problem I'm staying in Spain for about a week (have to go to a wedding) on the Registration and Orientation Week. Will I be able to register and pay my fees at a later date? And I've applied to Horizons, will I miss out on the opportunity to select my subject choices? I'm really stressed, can someone please give me advice!

Very much appreciated!

Don't worry bout it. When you get your offered place, you can register online on the UCD site(as has been clarified). Orientation week is just a chance to get to know where things are in the college, attend some sample lectures if ya want, get to meet new people. Thats all it is. And sure if ya do get your first choice in 2nd Round, it'll be ok, accept that and it'll be taken off the records at UCD. You dont have to pay fees until like the third week of September I think.

BrightEyes/B], I'm assuming Freshers Week is the week beginning the 15th September, if its the same as last year, the second week of lectures.

Oh really? that's so much more handy than Trinity! Crikey having to line up for ages outside the Exam Hall is annoying! Oh sorry I meant to say I've applied for Arts in UCD which of course encompasses the Horizons programme. So the first week isn't a necessity as long as I know what I'm doing? But will UCD send me details by email or sth about how to register n stuff?
    They'll send you a pack with a few information things about your course and orientation week. That'll be after you accept the CAO offer.

You log in on the day of registration (about the 27th of August I think), fill in personal details (Address, Phone number, etc). Then you'll need to pay the registration fee which wil probably be about 1,100 this year. You can do that online.

After that you proceed to the next section and pick which subjects you want to take (you do that online too). There'll be an information leaflet in the pack they'll send you about how to register & the usual who/when/what/how/why type answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rowanlacey@hotm

This may have been said already, but when do actual lectures start? Like UU, I've applied for Arts. Is everyone essentially back for the year on the 8th of Sept?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

This may have been said already, but when do actual lectures start? Like UU, I've applied for Arts. Is everyone essentially back for the year on the 8th of Sept?

I believe so.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That's crazy early compared to previous years...

Yes, lectures commence the week of the 8th of September.

http://www.ucd.ie/students/keydates.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah I thought that was ridiculously early... Am I mistaken or last year did we possibly start at the beginning of October? :confused: It was at least late September anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Dave! wrote: »
    Yeah I thought that was ridiculously early... Am I mistaken or last year did we possibly start at the beginning of October? :confused: It was at least late September anyway

No, last year lectures started the second week of September too, which was the 10th. Are people complaining about going back? I cant wait to get back there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Huh, coulda sworn it was really late......

I'm a little apprehensive about going back really. I'll have to actually do work this year, it being my final year :( But new subjects to choose from, should be good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I assume other people got that letter about registration and picking up student cards and the like? It had a bit on the back for people spending the year away, saying that, more or less, if you're going away you need to pick up your student card. Now, the issue there is that I'll be away, and won't be able to pick up the card. This problem seems fairly self evident to me; does anyone know how I'm supposed to pick up my student card?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Tom. If you miss student card registration you can pick it up anytime in the admin building. Usually there is a 15 euro fee . Student cards arnt that important. You only need them to go to the library and anyone who goes there in the first week of term has deep mental issues!

Advertisement